daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #1
gaetanomarano

Likes (Received): 0

>>> Super Safe Skyscrapers >>>

I've a suggestion to build safer skyscrapers as explained in my latest article:

http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles/032supersafe.html

what do you think about?

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #2
Smoker

How would this have made a difference in the World Trade Center's episode?

The buildings should be constructed well enough in the first place. It's a good thought, but I don't think it will ever happen. Keep trying.
Smoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #3
austrian
Once upon a time..

Likes (Received): 9

mhm.. I'm always wondering if people ever be able to make real safe buildings.. I somehow think, it's just not possible to be 100% sure, that a building can be built so safe that absolutley nothing can destroy it...

but i like the idea.. it doesnt look that bad.
austrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #4
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

The buildings should be constructed well enough in the first place. It's a good thought, but I don't think it will ever happen. Keep trying.
The Twins were hardly stucturally flawed. When it was built, nobody actually flew planes into buildings on purpose by slamming them at that time. Also, they were given the OCEA (Outstanding Civil Engineering Award), which is NOT give to buildings that are structually flawed. The fact that it took two hours for them to finally land on the ground shows how safe taller buildings are. According to the FEMA report, they found that a building half that height would have been on the ground even faster especially if it was a 9/11-like attack. Nevertheless, pencils do have erasers on them, and the FEMA did come up with safer building codes.
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #5
Smoker

When I think of the Twin Towers caving in as they did I picture the architect who designed them. He was on TV back then and not looking too happy about how what he presented for the structures failed. I can't recall perfectly. They were suppossed to stand up regardless of such an attack., the heat or whatever.

They fell to the ground. So what will keep this side structure standing? And if the building has fallen what good is it to have this?

Although we haven't seen any indications of it, I think terrorists will come up with a new and different way to gain attention. Steering a gasoline powered vehicle into a building is kind of old hat.

Someone should teach them that whatever they admire about virgins isn't true. The most desirable women live in free countries.

Our sports stadiums are too much a wide open target.

Just bomb the shit out of the middle east.
Smoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #6
gaetanomarano

Quote:
the twin towers drawing is just an example of how an escape tower could be useful in a real accident, but it don't need to be due to an attack, as the recent airplane accident in Brazil clearly shows
Quote:
I can explain why the escape towers must be added to all new (10+ floors) buildings with an example... to-day's big airline planes costs like a skyscraper (up to $300M each) and are safe enough to fly millions miles without an accident thanks to dozens advanced electronics/computers security systems... but, if a research discover a NEW security device that costs (e.g.) $15M per airplane, it will be added to ALL planes as soon as possible ...no matter if the airplanes already are "safe enough" to fly (nor if their final price will be $15M higher) since "SAFETY" comes FIRST (the same happens with cars, boats, etc.)
my idea to add the escape towers to all new buildings is (exactly) like add a new security device to an airplane or a further set of airbags to a car... they are useless if nothing will happens, but VERY USEFUL in case of accident!
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #7
gaetanomarano

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrian View Post
I'm always wondering if people ever be able to make real safe buildings.. I somehow think, it's just not possible to be 100% sure, that a building can be built so safe that absolutley nothing can destroy it...
you're right, we can't build 100% safe buildings, but the goal of my proposal is not so ambitious, nor wants to build things that "absolutley nothing can destroy" ...just wants to have much "safer" buildings to give to the peoples inside them the time (and a further escape way) to save their lives
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #8
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
When I think of the Twin Towers caving in as they did I picture the architect who designed them. He was on TV back then and not looking too happy about how what he presented for the structures failed. I can't recall perfectly. They were suppossed to stand up regardless of such an attack., the heat or whatever.

They fell to the ground. So what will keep this side structure standing? And if the building has fallen what good is it to have this?

Although we haven't seen any indications of it, I think terrorists will come up with a new and different way to gain attention. Steering a gasoline powered vehicle into a building is kind of old hat.

Someone should teach them that whatever they admire about virgins isn't true. The most desirable women live in free countries.

Our sports stadiums are too much a wide open target.

Just bomb the shit out of the middle east.
Keep in mind that Mohammed Atta believed that they would fall all over the area, but he was wrong about that.