daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Western Australia

Old November 14th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #61
chrisaus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthgazer View Post
How fucked is the Liberal opposition, complaining about free PT to a climate chnage rally?! FFS
the liberal party are a joke in wa atm, they are going ot have to work very hard to build a brand and suport base to have any hope at the next state election... they are really giving the state govt a mandate to get away with anything at the moment
chrisaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 15th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #62
Ipggi
Here

Likes (Received): 165

If (or when) federal Labor wins in 9 days. It's highly possible that afterwards voters in state politics will more likely side with the state Liberals. I can't see Labor dominating each state, territory and federal politics for too long.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #63
Matt B

Likes (Received): 201

I'm much happier with Labour federally and libs at state than I am with the current arrangement. But I do think that Labor/Labor will be given a chance to see how it goes. It jsut depends on how well the Libs manage to exploit developments that suggest that the state/fed relationship is just a bit too cosy.
Matt B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #64
Scraperfan
Single, looking to mingle

Likes (Received): 348

i highly doubt nsw labor can win the next election, too many fuck ups.

however vic and wa labor have at least the next election in the bag and qld has just been voted in.

only hope i can see in the next 2 years is for sa and tas to go lib.

i wonder if the wa libs really deliver on their vision for perth report for the next election, if you young labor noobs would support libs to win to implement it.

ps fuck kevin rudd and his mechanical auto cue speech at policy launch, god it was painful. john howard actually delivered a compelling and motivated speech for once. it was peter costello who looked painful that im sorry to say.

Margaret River Accommodation

Perth City Car Hire

WA Holiday Guide
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #65
Hossen27

Likes (Received): 55

Scraperfan

Have to agree that there have been a shit load of fuck ups by the NSW government, but the biggest fuk up is the NSW Liberal party. They are dominated by the extreme right of the party and are so close to being a religious cult it aint funny.

Victoria and WA will both be Labor for atleast the next election in both.

SA no chance of going Liberal, margin too large and Mike Rann too good. Tasmania will go Liberal next time, I am a Labor member (dont hang with the young labor crowd) but im not blind, Lennon is on the nose.

I doubt that Omedei and his band of merry men will have their vision for Perth ready for the next election, I actually doubt that its being written. Even if they do finish it I do not have faith that will implement it. It has been a long time since the Liberal Party has be trusted on Urban growth and planning.
Hossen27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #66
Ipggi
Here

There was only a NSW state election 8 months ago.

Labor won 52 seats to the Liberals 22 and the Nationals 13
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #67
Scraperfan

Fuck, the libs are rooted for at least another 4 years everywhere then it seems.

Lennon in tassie is the biggest dick, how embarrassing to say the only government you can win is tassie's lol.

Perth City Car Hire

WA Holiday Guide

Last edited by Scraperfan; November 15th, 2007 at 04:54 AM.
Scraperfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #68
Hossen27

I think its funny that if Labor win the federal election the highest ranked elected Lib in Australia will be the lord mayor of Brisbane.
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #69
Perth4life

Likes (Received): 5

whats wrong with the whole country being Labour? i think if the Liberals got in in WA here we are fucked, all the good work in regards to PT would go down the toilet, imagine Paul Omedei as the Premier? what a joke
Perth4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #70
Hossen27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perth4life View Post
whats wrong with the whole country being Labour? i think if the Liberals got in in WA here we are fucked, all the good work in regards to PT would go down the toilet, imagine Paul Omedei as the Premier? what a joke
There's nothing wrong with it, especially seeing that they were all democratically elected. That potato farmer has no understanding of how a city works. I was reading the Liberal Mandurah Line proposal and was disgusted at the lack of vision. 2 trains an hour at peak and a single track south of Waikiki station.
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #71
Ipggi
Here

Quote:
whats wrong with the whole country being Labour?
Well one of the so-called protection schemes Howard put into the GST legislation was, that if a government ever wanted to increase the rate. All states and the federal government would have to agree to the rise. Now it was assumed that this would probably rarely happen except in a dire need situation.

But if Labor wins federally, it could be possibility. Unlikely at the moment because of the economic prosperity, but certainly more possible with all the governments under one party. They could put forward the argument that you increase the GST to cut income tax rates.
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #72
Scraperfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipggi View Post
They could put forward the argument that you increase the GST to cut income tax rates.
I would support that 100%.

Perth City Car Hire

WA Holiday Guide
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #73
Ipggi
Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperfan View Post
I would support that 100%.
I know you would. But it would harm the low income earners the worst, those who are taxed less, but whos cost of living would significantly increase.
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #74
Perth4life

Scraperfan you seem pretty well off, when i look at receipts and see how much cheaper shit would be if it wasn't there if gives me the shits, increasing it would further give me the shits.
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #75
samboy

Likes (Received): 467

Quote:
Scraperfan you seem pretty well off, when i look at receipts and see how much cheaper shit would be if it wasn't there if gives me the shits, increasing it would further give me the shits.
Yeah if you take off 10% of everything it would be obviously cheaper but since GST was introduced a lot of things have actually dropped in price, especially electoronics and shit you can buy from ebay so overall I don't think it puts a huge dent in the budget.
samboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #76
chrisaus

WA’s ‘throwaway society’ urged to clean up its act

15/11/07

Western Australians are being urged to combat climate change by recycling, and thinking twice before buying throwaway items to reduce the amount of waste going into landfill.

During National Recycling Week this week, new waste legislation will be debated in State Parliament.

Environment and Climate Change Minister David Templeman said that the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery (WARR) Bill would provide a number of important new measures to help improve recycling in WA and promote the shift towards a waste-free society.

“This is a very important step forward in dealing with waste and reducing greenhouse emissions in Western Australia, and I am confident the Bill will receive bipartisan support,” Mr Templeman said.

The new legislation will allow for the establishment of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) Schemes, where producers of consumer goods could be required to establish recycling programs for the goods they produce.

The Minister said that in many cases, manufacturers were already acting to improve recycling through voluntary schemes, however, where products continued to present as problem wastes, a regulatory approach would be considered.

One particular focus area for the State Government was construction and demolition waste, which was nearly all recyclable but still made up more than half (56 per cent) of landfill in the State.

Mr Templeman said one company that had adopted the concept of Extended Producer Responsibility was Midland Brick, who through their brick recycling program, were acting to significantly reduce the amount of bricks going to landfill in WA.

He said many people were not aware that bricks, pavers and other clay products could be recycled at Midland Brick’s centres in Middle Swan, Cannington, Jandakot, Osborne Park and Joondalup.

“As this week is National Recycling Week, I’m urging individuals and businesses to think twice about dumping materials like bricks that could easily be recycled or used again,” he said.

“Recycling is one of the most important tools in the fight against climate change and there is a lot that can be done at a community level to recycle.

“Each time we recycle, we reduce material and energy use, which in turn reduces greenhouse gas emissions.

“For example, making an aluminium can from recycled material uses 95 per cent less energy than making one from raw materials and saves enough energy to run a TV set for three hours.”

The Minister said recycling in WA was currently saving more than one million tonnes of carbon dioxide being emitted every year.

“This is equivalent to taking 168,000 cars off the road or planting 1,500,000 trees for the same CO2 benefit,” he said.

“National Recycling Week serves as a timely reminder for all of us to consider actions we can take to conserve our natural resources and minimise the impact of our waste on the environment.

“There are so many simple things people can do to at home, work or school to reduce the amount of waste produced including refusing to buy over-packaged products and buying products made from recycled material.”

Further information about recycling is available at http://www.actnow.wa.gov.au.
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #77
Perth4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by samboy View Post
Yeah if you take off 10% of everything it would be obviously cheaper but since GST was introduced a lot of things have actually dropped in price, especially electoronics and shit you can buy from ebay so overall I don't think it puts a huge dent in the budget.
yer i buy a lot off things of ebay, good habit to have
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #78
Scraperfan

Quote:
oh my god dude... although ill give you a break cos you were only 9 when it was introduced...

...the gst REPLACES taxes like state banking taxes, federal wholesales tax and some fuel taxes. its just that you couldnt see it on the receipt. the gst by law has to be on the receipt.

personal income tax was also reduced to offset it and there are many exemptions, for example there is no GST on coffee.

I love it, as a business owner anything I put into my accounts I can claim the GST back as a tax offset, so even my gym protein powder is a "lunch supplement" for the office, so I get it at a 10% discount

But seriously, if income tax were lowered and GST increased, i would support more basic products becoming GST free to help low income earners.

It would be very easy to get the balance right and we would get all the benefits of having the pupulation control where more money goes rather than government divying it up.

im sure you would all prefer to decide how the government gets your dollars by your spending habits, rather than just forking over it direct from your income.

just remember, money in the hands of the consumer is a lot more efficient than money in the hands of the government, that is not up for argument.

Perth City Car Hire

WA Holiday Guide
Old November 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM   #79
chrisaus

Efficiency bar raised for washing machine rebate

21/11/07

The State Government has raised the standard for water efficiency ratings on washing machines to be eligible for the highly-successful Waterwise Rebate Program.

Water Resources Minister John Kobelke today announced that from January next year, customers would need to buy 4.5 star or higher water efficiency rated washing machines to qualify for the $150 rebate. For the past two years the rebate has been available for machines rated four star or higher.

“There is no doubt that since the Waterwise rebate program was introduced there has been a dramatic change in the washing machine manufacturing industry,” Mr Kobelke said.

“In the two years since the Government increased the standard to four stars, the number of qualifying machines has increased from a handful to 115.

“It is now time to continue the encouragement of that process by again lifting the standard to ensure new machines become even more water efficient.”

The Minister said he was confident the new criteria would result in a significant increase in the number of 4.5 star machines, or better, being produced by manufacturers, resulting in even greater permanent water savings.

“The manufacturers and suppliers have strongly supported the program through the last few years and I am confident they will respond again when the bar is lifted,” he said.

Mr Kobelke said there were currently 14 machines rated at 4.5 stars or better.

“I fully expect this number to increase significantly as manufacturers modify their production runs to build even more water efficient washing machines to ensure they are eligible for a rebate,” he said.

Since the introduction of the Waterwise Rebate Program in early 2003, $28million has been returned to householders who have purchased qualifying water efficient washing machines. This equates to 21 billion litres of water saved over the life of the machines.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 05:02 PM   #80
chrisaus

The streets of Perth are turning green with the launch of the Western Australia�s distinctive �green� taxi fleet.

Planning and Infrastructure Minister Alannah MacTiernan said patrons would be able to spot the environmentally friendly vehicles on city streets, through their markings and the slogan - �Give the Planet a Fare Go�.

Earlier this year, Ms MacTiernan announced that a $15,000 grant and a 20 per cent reduction in the lease rate would be available for up to 15 full-time taxis which met the fuel efficiency and emission standards of petrol-electric hybrid cars.

�As well as the four �green� taxis on the road today, another nine operators have put up their hands to join the fleet,� the Minister said.

�This initiative will tell us if five-star vehicles can operate viably as taxis in Perth.

�We are monitoring the performance of the �green� taxis and next year we will look at what needs to be done to increase the proportion of these vehicles in Perth�s taxi fleet.

�The incentives, which are available to lease plate holders and taxi plate owners, have helped overcome a conservative attitude towards new vehicles.