daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #41
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

I know Ontario used to have at least one instance of it where it was 3 lanes wide. Highway 7 east of Sarnia, Ontario was 3 lanes wide, and even today, you can tell by the wide shoulders on that road. However, now it is only 2 lanes (1+1)

2+1 roads in present day Ontario allow for a passing lane one way, but due to the double yellow line, passing the other way is not permitted.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #42
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

That's how it's generally done.
At least here in Portugal (and I think that in all 2+1 roads I've seen all over Europe) it's allways forbiden to cross the divisor lane between the 2 directions.
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #43
dawid_silesia
S919 (Opava) - Gliwice

Likes (Received): 287

National Road 8 (DK8 E67) between Kudowa-Zdrój and Duszniki-Zdrój in south Poland

dawid_silesia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #44
Frog
SSC addict

Likes (Received): 3

Most 2+1 roads I've seen here in England look like that one above ^ in my town there was a 2+1 road when it was first built but it caused people to crash when they got to the roundabout at the end of the road so now its a extra wide 1+1 road and the extra width makes it easy to overtake.
Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #45
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

this is how it looks in Croatia: at the first photo overtaking is permitted in both directions, and at the second only one. second is interesting because of tunnel. today at that section is built full profiled motorway, so this is just one tube of the tunnel for one direction

x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #46
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

That first pic is dangerous. People should never cross that line.

Well, maybe i found it dangerous, because our roads are generally packed with cars, in Croatia, intensities are much lower ofcourse.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #47
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
That first pic is dangerous. People should never cross that line.

Well, maybe i found it dangerous, because our roads are generally packed with cars, in Croatia, intensities are much lower ofcourse.
it is dangerous. altought visibility is excellent, accidents happens. it is a part of A6, Zagreb - Rijeka, about 25 km before Rijeka and those sections of A6 where is not built full profiled motorway are known as "road of death" in Croatia. fortunately, next year whole motorway will be finished.

at this place (first photo) is large downhill. so: trucks are going slow while going up (thats why they have 2 lanes), but they are going slow down, too, not to burn their brakes. that's why overtaking is permitted. actually, right now there is a traffic in only 2 lanes because it is large buildingside (upgrading to motorway).
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #48
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

How will they get along with teh Tunnel which is stil 2X1?
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #49
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I guess they add another tube, so this one can be used als 2 lanes + emergency lane?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #50
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
I guess they add another tube, so this one can be used als 2 lanes + emergency lane?
Probably, but it will cost time. Btw, the tunnel looks vrey good.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #51
x-type
con los terroristas

second tube is allready finnished and that section is now full profiled motorway. one tube has 3 tracks, one has only 2.
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #52
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
That's how it's generally done.
At least here in Portugal (and I think that in all 2+1 roads I've seen all over Europe) it's allways forbiden to cross the divisor lane between the 2 directions.
No, I've seen the side with only one lane sometimes can overtake going into the other people's fast lane a good example are parts of the IC8 and IP3.

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; July 29th, 2007 at 06:19 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #53
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

In Spain this kind of roads are quite common.

(Pics by Arriaca)
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #54
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

Gracias por subir las fotos Cicerón.

En España está prohibido construir calzadas sin separación de más de dos carriles a excepción de zonas urbanas o carriles para vehículos lentos.
arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #55
vid

Likes (Received): 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I know Ontario used to have at least one instance of it where it was 3 lanes wide. Highway 7 east of Sarnia, Ontario was 3 lanes wide, and even today, you can tell by the wide shoulders on that road. However, now it is only 2 lanes (1+1)

2+1 roads in present day Ontario allow for a passing lane one way, but due to the double yellow line, passing the other way is not permitted.
We call them 'truck climbing lanes' in Northern Ontario, and they're pretty common, especially near intersections and communities.

Not the best illustration. :P They alternate like that, but there is two lane highway between them for about 150 metres, before the other side gets the lane. Traffic generally stays left as the right lane ends after about 750 metres.

This is an example on Google Maps. To the west of the vehicle turning point (instead of making a U-Turn), the eastbound traffic is two lanes while the westbound traffic is one. To the east of the turning point, it alternates. If you follow the highway, these continue alternating for about 40 kilometres, with gaps of 100 to 2000 metres between them, on average.
Old July 29th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #56
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
We call them 'truck climbing lanes' in Northern Ontario, and they're pretty common, especially near intersections and communities.

Not the best illustration. :P They alternate like that, but there is two lane highway between them for about 150 metres, before the other side gets the lane. Traffic generally stays left as the right lane ends after about 750 metres.

This is an example on Google Maps. To the west of the vehicle turning point (instead of making a U-Turn), the eastbound traffic is two lanes while the westbound traffic is one. To the east of the turning point, it alternates. If you follow the highway, these continue alternating for about 40 kilometres, with gaps of 100 to 2000 metres between them, on average.
In Sweden we differentiate between dedicated (and alternating) 2+1 roads and truck climbing lanes. Truck climbing lanes are afterall just for a very limited distance and for the specific purpose to be able to overtake trucks.

Anyway we are getting more of them since they are supposedly relatively safe and spared from accidents...

Examples

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_of_Skara.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d/MMLNorr1.JPG

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:40 PM   #57
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

In Sweden quite a few 13-metre wide 2-lane roads have been turned into 2+1 roads with a centre guard rail for safety reasons. The Swedes have acknowledged that without a central barrier, such roads are death traps.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:09 PM   #58
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
In Sweden quite a few 13-metre wide 2-lane roads have been turned into 2+1 roads with a centre guard rail for safety reasons. The Swedes have acknowledged that without a central barrier, such roads are death traps.
I haven't heard anything about 2+1 roads being deathtraps in Finland.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:29 PM   #59
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

... image ...

Heh you nailed it, I wanted to post about the same thing. Here in Ontario in the official road theory book these types of roads are described in a separate section, and the lanes are indeed called "truck climbing lanes". This may also be partially due to the fact that heavy truck traffic is generally much heavier in North America than in Europe. Truckers often turn on their emergency flashers when climbing slowly to signal other drivers to overtake them. However, I have never seen a modern 2+1 road with a crash barrier in the middle in Ontario, but maybe because I haven't been driving that much yet.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:44 PM   #60
caco
Crucismogiensis

Likes (Received): 3346

Rodovia Mogi-Bertiga (SP-98), near São Paulo, Brasil:

caco no está en línea   Reply With Quote