daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #2221
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12012

A couple of pictures from Sibiu by-pass, which according to the contractors is ready for opening by the end of this month - they are currently putting up the mid and side fences:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
^ Nu chiar. Uite ceva poze:

Secţiunea A (Max Bgl):

Secţiunea B (Vectra):

Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #2222
luci203

Likes (Received): 1203

I was driving yesterday on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
I think a direct link between GL/BR and A2 is more probable than an extension of A4 over the Danube by bridge. At least in the closer future.
It is a lot more cheaper, because no bridge is required. (so my guess is that is the version it will be be built, even soner than Galati-Focsani section since the "Moldova Motorway" (Ploiesti-Buzau-Focsani-Bacau-Suceava) is not even started)

That A4 extension (in both directions) is only an idea I had, the benefit would be to link also Tulcea. (also I belive it would be a somewhat shorter the link between Moldova and Black Sea)
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #2223
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
I was driving yesterday on it...
I envy you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderTM View Post
Sibiu Bypass - ALL pictures courtesy of nenea_hartia - Batch 1.

Section A (Max Boegl)

NOD DJ SIBIU-AGNITA

SUPRATRAVERSARE DJ SIBIU-AGNITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderTM View Post
Sibiu Bypass - ALL pictures courtesy of nenea_hartia - Batch 2.

Section B (Vectra Service)

SENS GIRATORIU SFARSIT AUTOSTRADA / REABILITARE DJ SIBIU-OCNA SIBIULUI

Galeria cu TOATE pozele (la rezolutie mai mare <1600x1200 px>) o gasiti AICI
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #2224
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

^ Thanks, Le Clerk!
Well, I have the guts to affirm: our crash barriers are much, much shinier than Struma's.

Many more pics here.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #2225
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

I will be driving in December on it and take pictures.
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #2226
madad

Likes (Received): 1

What I don't understand is that this section is ending with a roundabout....
This section is part of Pan-European Corridor IV and in this circumstances, i believe that when entire highway from Nadlac to Constanta will be ready, we will need to slow down , maybe even stop for a few seconds on each major town by-pass section as it is a roundabout !?

For me this doesn't make sense at all, only if, this roundabouts are a temporary solution till more sections will connect between them self ...
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #2227
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madad View Post
For me this doesn't make sense at all, only if, this roundabouts are a temporary solution till more sections will connect between them self ...
Exactly that's the case!
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #2228
amst

Likes (Received): 967

I think the junction where the roundabout is right now will be built by the company that will work on the next section: Sibiu - Orastie
amst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #2229
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by amst View Post
I think the junction where the roundabout is right now will be built by the company that will work on the next section: Sibiu - Orastie
You're exactly right.

As a sign of appreciation and respect for the Romanian moderators and a few Romanian users, I will not edit all my 4100+ messages. I dedicate all the "work" I've done with passion on SSC to these handful of users. I will only continue to read SSC and be available for these users on PM. Thank you.
ionut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #2230
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Romania will channel its cash on EU-backed infrastructure projects - 532 km of motorway over 3 years

Luiza Ilie, BUCHAREST - 17.11.2010
Reuters

Romania will channel its cash on EU-backed infrastructure projects next year, while a controversial motorway led by U.S. giant Bechtel will take a backseat, Transport Minister Anca Boagiu said on Tuesday.

Romania's infrastructure is the least developed in the European Union after years of repeated delays and one of the main causes of complaint from foreign investors who say decrepit transport cancels out an advantageous location at a trading crossroads and relatively low labour costs.

Earlier this year, Bechtel said it may lay off people working on the motorway over unpaid government debt.

Works have been marred for years due to poor legislation, slow land expropriations and scarce allocation of funds and Romania, the EU's seventh largest state by size, currently has under 350 kilometers of motorway.

But Boagiu said some 532 kilometers of motorway should be completed over the next three years.

"We are in the position of launching tenders this year for 288.7 kilometers of motorway," she said. "Execution will last 2 and a half years and the overall value is 2.5 billion euros."

"Another 243 kilometers of motorway are already in the works, most have deadlines for next year."

Boagiu said the coalition government has taken steps to speed up land acquisitions, which previously could delay works for up to 2 years, and enforce cost standards for motorways, roads and other works, limiting current sharp price variations.

It will also allot funds mainly for projects co-funded with EU money.

"Our objective is to focus 70-80 percent of next year's budget on co-financing projects funded by the European Union or international financial institutions."

This will leave out Bechtel's Transylvania motorway, a four-lane, 415-kilometer project that will link central Romanian city Brasov with Hungary's eastern border.

Romania angered the EU when it awarded Bechtel the contract without a tender, four years before joining the bloc.

Initially worth some 2.2 billion euros, analysts now expect it to cost more than double. Delays have already pushed the deadline by one year to 2013 and now a lack of funds might extend it still.

"Concerning Transylvania motorway, a discussion with the contractor is absolutely necessary because I don't think that ... the costs for the motorway match the standards that we have as an EU member state," Boagiu said.
Source
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #2231
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19364

A hard, but necessary decision. The Romanian government cannot afford right now to keep funding Transylvania Motorway for 100%, while others can be constructed by 20 - 30% RO funding.

Which means there will be a lot of motorway completions from now on.

In my opinion, they should cancel the contract with Bechtel, pay a large fine, or give them so little money Bechtel quits the contract themselves, so the whole A3 can be retendered according to EU regulation. After 7 years of constructing they've only managed to open some 45 kilometers of A3. If it will continue down this road, A3 from Oradea to Brasov will not be completed until 2035. Romania can't afford such a delay.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #2232
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A hard, but necessary decision. The Romanian government cannot afford right now to keep funding Transylvania Motorway for 100%, while others can be constructed by 20 - 30% RO funding.
Exactly!

Quote:
In my opinion, they should cancel the contract with Bechtel, pay a large fine, or give them so little money Bechtel quits the contract themselves, so the whole A3 can be retendered according to EU regulation. After 7 years of constructing they've only managed to open some 45 kilometers of A3. If it will continue down this road, A3 from Oradea to Brasov will not be completed until 2035. Romania can't afford such a delay.
Romania cannot cancel the contract, but the Government will probably try to squize Bechtel into accepting some form of PPP for the remaining sections. And you are right, I don't think we can wait for this motorway to drag so long. I think a financing solution should be found next year.
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #2233
madad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

Which means there will be a lot of motorway completions from now on.

I totally agree with you regarding Bechtel contract. However, even if EU is financing up to 70-80% the corridor from Nadlac to Pitesti, for me it's extremely hard to believe that in Romania 500+ km can be build from scratch in 36 months as Boagiu said
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #2234
ke

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madad View Post
I totally agree with you regarding Bechtel contract. However, even if EU is financing up to 70-80% the corridor from Nadlac to Pitesti, for me it's extremely hard to believe that in Romania 500+ km can be build from scratch in 36 months as Boagiu said
Technically they can build Nadlac - Sibiu in 36 months, but I doubt it. But for sure there is no way to tender and build Sibiu - Pitesti motorway in just 36 months.
ke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #2235
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19364

Motorway construction usually lasts 24 months. I think it would be no problem to tender a project in another 12 months, heck during that time you can even design the road from scratch.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #2236
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke View Post
Technically they can build Nadlac - Sibiu in 36 months, but I doubt it. But for sure there is no way to tender and build Sibiu - Pitesti motorway in just 36 months.
Sibiu-Pitesti is only half-EU funded. And it's very expensive. Over 1 billion EUR cause it goes right through the heart of mountains and needsdozens of tunnels and viaducts. Same as Comarnic-Brasov. They need a PPP there.

The un-tendered sections from Sibiu to Nadlac will be tendered this month though. Technically, as Chris mentioned, it is feasible to build all remaining sections by 2013.
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #2237
madad

Minister of Transport and Infrastructure (MTI) wants to supplement the budget of expropriation for Nadlac-Arad highway
10 of November 2010

MTI wants to supplement the budget with 17.5 million RON for the expropriation of Nadlac-Arad highway, an area of 865,212 square meters remaining to be expropriated near Pecica, according to a draft document prepared by the ministry.

Original amount approved by the government decision in 2010 expropriation of Nadlac-Arad highway was 63 million.

The amount is estimated at 17.5 million RON necessary to complete the procedure of expropriation of private properties located on the site of the work for Nadlac-Arad highway. The remaining area of 865,212 square meters to be expropriated near Pecica, since promotion on the initial resolution, was due to lack of allocated budget as state budget allocated only the amount of 63 million, the overall amount needed for this project is 80.5 million RON, according to the draft document prepared by the ministry.

Minister of Transport and Infrastructure, Boagiu said Friday that at the end of November tenter will be launched for 270 km of sections between Nadlac - Arad, Timisoara, Lugoj, Lugoj-Deva-Orastie-Sibiu route of Pan-European Corridor IV.

The four sections are funded through the Sectoral Operational Programme of Transport (POS-T).

Source

Last edited by madad; November 17th, 2010 at 11:50 PM.
madad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #2238
Ayceman

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Sibiu-Pitesti is only half-EU funded. And it's very expensive. Over 1 billion EUR cause it goes right through the heart of mountains and needsdozens of tunnels and viaducts. Same as Comarnic-Brasov. They need a PPP there.

The un-tendered sections from Sibiu to Nadlac will be tendered this month though. Technically, as Chris mentioned, it is feasible to build all remaining sections by 2013.
Technically it's very feasible to build Sibiu-Nădlac until 2013, but one can safely assume a one year delay for a normal motorway project in Romania, even before it begins, so as long as we're able keep our end of the financing, it should be ready by 2014.

Pitești - Sibiu is another story though. It goes through the toughest, most massive (little fragmentation) and second highest peaks in the Carpathians - the Meridionals. I'd expect works on the motorway to Craiova to near completion by the time this section is finished.
Ayceman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #2239
madad

What chance has Bucharest-Constanta highway to be completed in 2011
November 17, 2010

According to the National Company of Motorways and Roads in Romania "The physical status of implementation agreed on September 2010 for Medgidia Cernavoda section is 9% of the 20.3 km and 31% of the 31.8 km for the section Medgidia Constanta." Small chances for Bucharest - Constanta highway to be ready on 2011 as transport minister Boagiu promis earier this year.

So far the state has paid more than 42 million lei (VAT) for the approximately 2 km for the french motorway company Colas and over 108 million lei (VAT) for the Germao - Italian consortium who are working on Medgidia - Constanta section for the 9 km.
The state has paid till now the two companies over 150 million lei from the total of 1.23 billion lei (VAT) in value of the work stands for 52 km of highway.

The contracts are funded with 71% of a loan from the European Investment Bank (EIB), and 29% is contributed by the Government.
The value represents the cost of execution and expropriation.

Transport Minister Anca Boagiu said that by the end of 2011 highway Bucharest - Constanta will be ready, because it ordered the companies that deal with work and do their job quickly.
Boagiu extended with a few months the time slot Berceanu originally promised, meaning next summer.
Contracts for the sections of highway between Cernavoda - Medgidia and Medgidia - Constanta were signed in March 2009.

Payments made for Cernavoda - Constanta highway:
Cernavoda-Medgidia 42,844,153.24 RON VAT
Medgidia-Constanţa 108.117.274,51 lei without VAT

Source
Old November 18th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #2240
BG_PATRIOT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 69

Great updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
^ Thanks, Le Clerk!
Well, I have the guts to affirm: our crash barriers are much, much shinier than Struma's.

Many more pics here.
I believe you, but I hope that you are aware that by making such a statement you are endangering your life. Radi will be targeting you for disrespecting the shininess of the all mighty Struma crash barriers.
BG_PATRIOT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania