daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #2461
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12038

In those terms, next year we will be at about 40% of Polish motorway U/C lenght (over 500 km) which is not too bad, considering Romania's GDP is about 4 times lower the Polish one.

BTW: You are right, the Polish are doing very good at 1.300 km U/C.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #2462
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

BTW: November updates on Transilvania Motorway - 2b section (near Hungarian border), thanks to Ionut:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut View Post
Update oficial AT:

9 NOIEMBRIE-8 DECEMBRIE 2010

The good news is that works are continuing on 2b, which means there is an agreement, even informal, to continue works on TM.

Last edited by Le Clerk; December 19th, 2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: .
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #2463
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
You already have about 1300 km of motorways and expressways u/c. Isn't that enough for now? I don't think that a country can manage more every 1-2 years.
befor I go back to my origin question, let me give you more details about present situation.

OK, I am almost glad we have got something like 1300 km u/c,

BUT
roads which are about to be tendered (except of these 1300 km u/c) will not be even contracted within 2-3 years (so imagine delivery date)

looks like we do not have even a penny in our future budgets for roads anymore

so now there is a time to go back to my origin question:

how about Romania ? aren't you afraid of being held on with your motorway system because of lack of money ? I mean you plan some tenders, but sooner or later you realize there is no money for them
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #2464
speew

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
In those terms, next year we will be at about 40% of Polish motorway U/C lenght (over 500 km) which is not too bad, considering Romania's GDP is about 4 times lower the Polish one.

BTW: You are right, the Polish are doing very good at 1.300 km U/C.
Let me correct you there a bit - the Polish GDP is just shy of 3 times higher than the Romanian GDP, however when discussing about infrastructure it's better to compare budget expenditures which are not proportional, for example, in 2009, Romania had 63 bln USD budget expenditures while Poland had only 95 bln USD which isn't even twice.
Yet the poles have almost 3 times more expressways and motorways u/c. What that means is that either Romania spends much less (proportionally) on transport, either every km costs a lot more in Romania, which is not surpring, considering that we hear this on TV all the time, about the "asphalt kings" making huge profits from doing business with the state.
speew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #2465
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

It's not near a secret that the companies who are winning tenders for Romanian main infrastructure projects are Austrian, German or Spanish, and not the local companies who are mainly doing maintenance works. Just look at who are the winners of the tenders. And the prices are not higher than in other countries, and quite the contrary to Western Europe. It just happens that 2/3 of the Romanian geography is made of mountains and hills (unlike Poland's geography) and that's why prices are higher than average (plain geography) and it's more difficult to build here.

BTW: The Spanish motorways were indeed built by local companies grown by help of the state in the 80's and 90's (and the Spanish have quite a decent motorway network!), the same companies who are wining tenders in Romania now. It'd be good if Romanian companies were supported by the Gov to be able to meet the tender specs to submit tenders for motorways but for now they are not able to do that because they don't have such portfolio. They are just building it by entering into consortiums with Western European big shots.

Last edited by Le Clerk; December 19th, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #2466
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
how about Romania ? aren't you afraid of being held on with your motorway system because of lack of money ? I mean you plan some tenders, but sooner or later you realize there is no money for them
Actually, we do have this problem in Romania:
  • A3: Transilvania Motorway - contract awarded directly (not tenderd!) to Bechtel: the works are going on slowly on just one section because lack of money
    (total length: 415 km; opened: 52 km; u/c: 64 km)
  • A3: Bucharest - Ploiesti: works are stopped (I think) because of the founds
  • A3: Brasov - Comarnic: the PPP project failed because the banks didn't want to loan money for it
The A1 Nadlac - Sibiu motorway that is u/c or tenderd now is made with the help of EU founds, so hopefully we won't have problems with the money here.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Last edited by bogdymol; December 20th, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:03 AM   #2467
and802

thanks.

let me paraphrase the well-known saying:
"the same shit, different day".

now it sounds:

"the same shit, different country"
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:21 PM   #2468
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Well, the shit was much worse a few years ago and we hope it will get better in the years to come.

BTW: I think we wished to be in the same situation as Poland.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:35 PM   #2469
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Some updates on Romanian motorway events next year, when our PM says there will be the following openings:

Arad by-pass: 12,3 km
Arad-Timisoara: 32 km
Cernavoda-Constanta: 50 km
Constanta by-pass: 22 km

So a bit over 100 km of motorway, if things go all-right.

Probably they are leaving for 2012 the 60 km from Bucharest-Ploiesti and 64 km of Transylvania Motorway.
Old December 31st, 2010, 05:39 PM   #2470
and802

dear all collegues from Romania,

all the best in 2011 and have your motorway schedule completed in 110 % !
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:12 PM   #2471
cornel001
Balamuc

Likes (Received): 133

Thanks, and a happy new year !
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:13 PM   #2472
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
dear all collegues from Romania,

all the best in 2011 and have your motorway schedule completed in 110 % !
Thank you very much. All the best for you too and for all Polish forumers and let's hope someday a motorway will connect our two countries.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #2473
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Is it already known how many fatalities occurred on Romanian roads in 2010? In 2009 they were tied with Greece for having the unsafest roads in Europe (130 deaths per 1 million). I was wondering if things have improved.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #2474
bmwdriver

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is it already known how many fatalities occurred on Romanian roads in 2010? In 2009 they were tied with Greece for having the unsafest roads in Europe (130 deaths per 1 million). I was wondering if things have improved.
I found some info: comparing with 2009, number of accidents declined 11.34%, fatalities (death) numbers declined 17% in 2010 in .ro
Source
bmwdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #2475
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Likes (Received): 39

New AWESOME short winter update from A4-Constanta bypass from the secret source! I hope you'll enjoy this late present.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overview of the bridge km 2+436. It was covered by a tent to keep the heat in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inside the tent - bridge at km 2+436. Casting concrete.

Devices for measuring min/max temperatures - checking and recording the temperature during casting and hardening

Heat cannons inside the bridge used to increase the temperatures at which the concrete can be exposed

Similar procedures for winter works at bridge km 5+740 in Poiana Interchange

Bridge km 2+436 on the following day (half of the bridge has been casted)

That's it for now. Not many pictures, but I think this is a first, I've never seen pictures with these procedures before on a Romanian motorway project. Hope you enjoyed it!

As a sign of appreciation and respect for the Romanian moderators and a few Romanian users, I will not edit all my 4100+ messages. I dedicate all the "work" I've done with passion on SSC to these handful of users. I will only continue to read SSC and be available for these users on PM. Thank you.
ionut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #2476
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Cool pics! It's the first time I see pictures with this winter concrete pooring technology.
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #2477
madad

Likes (Received): 1

Oau! That's amazing!
This guys really wish to finish in time the highway
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #2478
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Some recent updates from Romania:

- the Motorway Authority announced it'll start running tenders for the extention of A4 (currently only Constanta by-pass) all the way to the Bulgarian border (and from there the Bulgarian side will start works for the motorway to Varna). The Motorway Authority mentioned the EU has accepted for funding this stretch on the Romanian and Bulgaria side.

- works are continuing on Transilvania Motorways on section 3C (near the Hungarian Border) - for those interested, there is a report here with pictures

- there are some discussions on a tender for 20 km of Sibiu-Pitesti stretch this year (A1);

- tenders will also be launched for A5 (Ploiesti-Moldovan border).
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #2479
mediar
Digital.Creation

Likes (Received): 5336

Quote:
Some recent updates from Romania:

- the Motorway Authority announced it'll start running tenders for the extention of A4 (currently only Constanta by-pass) all the way to the Bulgarian border (and from there the Bulgarian side will start works for the motorway to Varna). The Motorway Authority mentioned the EU has accepted for funding this stretch on the Romanian and Bulgaria side.
Our government said ( about an year ago ), that they're going to build a 2x2 road, not a fully motorway. The real motorway will start from Varna - "Hemus" motorway to Sofia and "Cherno more" motorway to Burgas. Maybe their plans are going to change?

НЕ ИЗПОЛЗВАЙТЕ GOOGLE-СКИ САЙТОВЕ ЗА ХОСТИНГ НА СНИМКИ!!!

Last edited by mediar; January 20th, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
mediar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #2480
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediar View Post
Our government said ( about an year ago ), that they're going to build a 2x2 road, not a fully motorway. The real motorway will start from Varna - "Hemus" motorway to Sofia and "Cherno more" motorway to Burgas. Maybe their plans are going to change?
We must hold our horses for now. There is no plan, no feasibility study, no path chosen and of course, no expropriations, hence no tender for at least 5 years from now in my opinion, at least for the Romanian side. It's just political mumbo-jumbo.

Quote:
- there are some discussions on a tender for 20 km of Sibiu-Pitesti stretch this year (A1);
Who is discussing? It was just a monologue, a ridiculous political show off made by a third-level employee of the current government.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania