daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2011, 09:22 PM   #2761
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

No, two carriageways with 3 lanes each. 3x3 = 9 lanes.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:25 PM   #2762
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
No, two carriageways with 3 lanes each. 3x3 = 9 lanes.
Well, if you count it that way, yes. I was thinking about 3x3 = 3 by 3. Nevermind.

As a sign of appreciation and respect for the Romanian moderators and a few Romanian users, I will not edit all my 4100+ messages. I dedicate all the "work" I've done with passion on SSC to these handful of users. I will only continue to read SSC and be available for these users on PM. Thank you.
ionut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:07 PM   #2763
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

Ionut, 2x3 means 3 lanes in each direction. 3x3 makes no sense because it implies 3 directions.

BIG NEWS today. Our PM summarized as follows the motorway situation:

Pitesti-Sibiu (part of A1) will be tendered this year
Brasov-Comarnic (part of A3) - same
A5 (Ploiesti-Focsani-Albita), part of C IX, will be extended north to the Ukrainian border. A request for this will be submitted today to the European Commission.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:10 PM   #2764
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

How credible are these statements all the time? Or are they phoney statements to create some goodwill? I noticed your PM shows up for almost every road construction project, how insignificant they may be. Maybe he's just a road enthusiast as well
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:16 PM   #2765
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

He speaks a lot and does a lot of PR every time a motorway section is opened indeed. This is important in a country where people are very interested in motorway construction and I somehow understand or find it so common that I don't give ti too much attention.

I am not optimist about these statements. On the other hand, I couldn't believe they would tender the terminated section on A2 very soon either, but they managed to do it. There are some radical changes recently as far as motorway management is concerned: they changed the entire team after the new minister came, they fired a company for the first time in the history of the institution, they started applying huge fines for delays etc.

For Pitesti-Sibiu and Comarnic-Brasov the tendering process is important but not crucial. The investors are crucial. Hopefully, the amendments to the PPP law will help this time.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:36 AM   #2766
AndreiB

Likes (Received): 1186

Let's also hope that an investor steps up to the plate as well, to be fair. Construction costs for Comarnic-Brasov will be absolutely staggering, and despite the high traffic, it is a rather short section, so the tolls would be quite high. That may drive cars towards DN1 (truck traffic is insignificant here) and defeat the whole purpose of the motorway.

Now if the Ministry of Transportation agrees to a minimum revenue if there is insufficient traffic I'm sure investors will do it. But will the MT offer that?

Pitesti-Sibiu has the lion's share of truck traffic, so I presume tolls from that could be quite lucrative. The altitude is lower, thus less construction costs, but it is longer.

A way which would make Pitesti-Sibiu more attractive for investors would be if we gave up Bucuresti-Pitesti to the private company. Thus they can begin tolling right now, and continue to do so once the whole segment Bucuresti-Sibiu is complete.

When considering the need for future expansion and maintenance, I don't think we can afford to not have tolled motorways, even the ones built by the government's money-look at the amount of money spent repairing A1.

Anyway, finger's crossed for both tenders.

As for Targu Mures-Iasi, IMHO no investor will ever step up to building that motorway (low traffic+difficult terrain) so we'll either do it or no one will.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:33 AM   #2767
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiB View Post
Let's also hope that an investor steps up to the plate as well, to be fair. Construction costs for Comarnic-Brasov will be absolutely staggering, and despite the high traffic, it is a rather short section, so the tolls would be quite high.
I think the tolls will be capped by the Government at a reasonable level so people may use the section. The revenue for the investor will also be guaranteed by the Government so there will be no need for excessive tolls.

Quote:
That may drive cars towards DN1 (truck traffic is insignificant here) and defeat the whole purpose of the motorway.
Truck traffic is banned on DN 1 - Prahova Valley. All truck traffic goes to Sibiu-Pitesti (Valea Oltului).

Quote:
Now if the Ministry of Transportation agrees to a minimum revenue if there is insufficient traffic I'm sure investors will do it. But will the MT offer that?
The Government will certainly guarantee a certain revenue level required to recover the investment and costs. Otherwise there will be no investors IMO.

Quote:
Pitesti-Sibiu has the lion's share of truck traffic, so I presume tolls from that could be quite lucrative. The altitude is lower, thus less construction costs, but it is longer.
I think once a motorway is built on Comarnic-Brasov, they may allow truck traffic again, but that will still spoil the whole area as a tourism hot-spot.

Quote:
A way which would make Pitesti-Sibiu more attractive for investors would be if we gave up Bucuresti-Pitesti to the private company. Thus they can begin tolling right now, and continue to do so once the whole segment Bucuresti-Sibiu is complete.
I don't think I understand here, but you mean they should start tolling Bucuresti-Pitesti?

Quote:
When considering the need for future expansion and maintenance, I don't think we can afford to not have tolled motorways, even the ones built by the government's money-look at the amount of money spent repairing A1.
I agree. But I think we should first have a decent network and only then start tolling the old motorways.

Quote:
As for Targu Mures-Iasi, IMHO no investor will ever step up to building that motorway (low traffic+difficult terrain) so we'll either do it or no one will.
We'll see. Nobody knows the extent of the traffic as long as there is no motorway there. I may even risk to predict that traffic on this motorway will be heavier than on A 5 (Bucharest-Iasi), because it will be a shorter direction to western Europe for traffic from Ukraine and Russia.

Last edited by Le Clerk; May 2nd, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM   #2768
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How credible are these statements all the time? Or are they phoney statements to create some goodwill? I noticed your PM shows up for almost every road construction project, how insignificant they may be. Maybe he's just a road enthusiast as well
He's an annoying little man with no vision at all and a lot of ego. He doesn't even know what a motorway technically means. About his statements, you must not forget that his party is in a free fall and next year we'll have elections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
He speaks a lot and does a lot of PR every time a motorway section is opened indeed. This is important in a country where people are very interested in motorway construction and I somehow understand or find it so common that I don't give ti too much attention.
Indeed. But more important would be to actually build something.

Quote:
I am not optimist about these statements.
+1

Quote:
For Pitesti-Sibiu and Comarnic-Brasov the tendering process is important but not crucial. The investors are crucial. Hopefully, the amendments to the PPP law will help this time.
I agree.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:22 AM   #2769
Skynick

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut View Post
Skynick, so the B-Moara Vlasiei sector will be 3x3? There were some rumors the sector will be 2x2.
Bucuresti to future A0 Bucharest motorway ring road will be 2x2 (somewhere near Otopeni).

Then it will be 2x3 until Dumbrava where is the motorway toward Moldova junction.

Last edited by Skynick; May 2nd, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Skynick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:25 AM   #2770
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynick View Post
Bucuresti to future A0 Bucharest motorway ring road will be 2x2 (somewhere near Otopeni).

Then it will be 2x3 until Domnesti where is the motorway toward Moldova junction.
Right, got it. Are you sure? I think you mean Dumbrava, not Domnesti. But anyway, doesn't matter, I got the point.

As a sign of appreciation and respect for the Romanian moderators and a few Romanian users, I will not edit all my 4100+ messages. I dedicate all the "work" I've done with passion on SSC to these handful of users. I will only continue to read SSC and be available for these users on PM. Thank you.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:28 PM   #2771
Skynick

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Right, got it. Are you sure? I think you mean Dumbrava, not Domnesti. But anyway, doesn't matter, I got the point.
You are right - Dumbrava. And that is how it looks from the field, I don't have secret plans or something. And this is the way it makes sense anyway.
Skynick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:45 PM   #2772
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynick View Post
You are right - Dumbrava. And that is how it looks from the field, I don't have secret plans or something. And this is the way it makes sense anyway.
Of course it makes sense.
The other thing that makes sense is planning A0 (B bypass) as a 2x3 motorway.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 04:41 PM   #2773
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Of course it makes sense.
The other thing that makes sense is planning A0 (B bypass) as a 2x3 motorway.
Of course. But the real thing that would make sense would be to start building A0.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 04:59 PM   #2774
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
Of course. But the real thing that would make sense would be to start building A0.
No comment.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:46 AM   #2775
danielstan

Location: Pitesti, RO // Helsinki Final Act 1975, Point 3) Inviolability of frontiers
Likes (Received): 407

Romanian politics:
- after winning the election the party in power promises X km highways in 4 years mandate
- it also changes the priorities set up by the previous party
- in the 3rd year of mandate they come with justifications why they actually built only X / 5 km
- but also they come with new projects, tenders, feasibility studies etc. that are performed during the last year of mandate, but no actual new highway is built
- in the last year of mandate they finish some parts of the previously delayed highways
danielstan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:50 AM   #2776
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

I think it's wrong. You're trying to look cool by involving politics here, but you are are wrong. The Government completed 74 km of motorway lin the last 2 years, in the middle of their term, and they are struggling to contract motorways which will probably be completed during the next Gov's term.

The only priority that has changed was Transylvania Motorway as a result of lack of money. The other priorities are set by the EU funds, which cannot be changed.

In any case, motorway construction started in earnest in Romania a few years ago (2005 maybe). Until then, the crisis of 1990-2003 and the continuous economic collapse of that period made it an impossible task to build in that period. And that's for those who say that Romania hasn't built motorways in the past 20 years.

BTW: had Ceausescu built motorways at the speed he built the rail network or the subway, Romania would probably have now more than 2,000 km of motorways, but we all know it didn't happen (and why*). We inherited a very poor motorway system from communist times and it's much more difficult to build it now than back then.

* For those who don't, I'll let you know Romania was close to a Warsaw Pact invasion in 69, after Romania publicly pulled out of the Pact following Ceausescu's international criticism at the Pact's invasion of Czechoslovakia. The motorways were considered an avenue for the Soviet invasion, and all plans were dropped. And BTW, the plans back then don't differ much from what we are building now.

Last edited by Le Clerk; May 3rd, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM   #2777
and802

Likes (Received): 55

how many kms of new motorways are scheduled to be opened this year ?
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:18 PM   #2778
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Difficult to say. Maybe 22 km of A4 (Constanta bypass) and 32 km of A2 (Cernavoda-Medgidia). But again, it's not sure.

BTW: works will be resumed next month on A3 west of Cluj. A financial agreement was reached between the Gov and Bechtel.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:52 PM   #2779
rorise1

Likes (Received): 5

Medgidia Constanta Highway was scheduled to be completed in April this year. Otherwise very large fines would been applied. Will be fined manufacturers?
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:21 PM   #2780
alwn

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.bv.de View Post
Hello,

can someone tell me when the construction of the motorway from Nadlac to Arad will begin? Is it realistic that it will be ready in 2012?
No. It won't be finished in 2012. Probably 2013 or even 2014.

We can check what happened with Orastie- Deva section. Contract finally awarded on the 1th september 2010, contract signed 2 months later, end October. Broke ground 8th April 2011. So it took 7 months since the contract awarding, 5 months only after the contract has been signed.

So if nobody will challange the tender works could start in late 2011, maybe november..

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania