daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #3061
violinivo

Likes (Received): 275

Hi guys, congratulations for the fantastic job you are doing posting updates so regularly in this section! Well done!
I am following with great interest the development of the motorway system in Rumania particularly as I am Bulgarian who travels from the UK through Europe.
I am doing the trip towards the end of July, and I was interested if you could update about the current situation on the A1 route (E75). I am planing to get to Arad and make a stop in a hotel near the E75 road (as we are travelling with my 2 years old). The following day I hope to be able to get from Arad to Ruse in about 10 hours drive (that is what the SatNav is showing as trip duration).
Could you please briefly and of course if you know it (!) let me know if the road condition is OK generally, and if the trip is doable in 10 hours (especially with international traffic and loads of trucks on the way!). Also are they enough rest areas (petrol stations, etc) where a little one can play for a bit along the route?
Thanks very much in advance, and again, well done on your great section here in this forum! cheers

By the way - does it sound crazy to actually go via Bucurest - Constanta (is there any motorway section opened there yet?) - I heard that the road from Constanta to the BG border and Durankulak is 2x2, would that be shorter than to go via Ruse as my end point of travel is Varna?
violinivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #3062
bogdymol
bogdymod

Which route will you take? This one? If yes, I assure you that the road quality is good, but the traffic is terrible.

Arad - Bucharest is doable in about 8-9 hours, so 10h to Ruse is plausible. About the rest areas: there are a lot of gas stations along this route and you can stop safely at most of them. I recommend you OMV, PetromV or MOL.

Have a safe trip!
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #3063
violinivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Which route will you take? This one? If yes, I assure you that the road quality is good, but the traffic is terrible.

Arad - Bucharest is doable in about 8-9 hours, so 10h to Ruse is plausible. About the rest areas: there are a lot of gas stations along this route and you can stop safely at most of them. I recommend you OMV, PetromV or MOL.

Have a safe trip!
yes that is the one! I am hoping to get some travel done very early in the morning starting at 5am and get at least half of the driving before midday. would you say traffic is heavy constantly or better in the early hours/or afternoon?

What about going via Bucarest - Constanta route? I was considering it as Danube Bridge 1 apparently is in works and I don't know how bad it would be to wait and cross is, especially with traffic to Turkey, etc...what would you say about that route?
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #3064
bogdymol
bogdymod

That would be quite a long detour. How about crossing by ferry at Calafat/Vidin? Is there any good road in Bulgarian between Vidin and Ruse?

PS: Arad - Timisoara - Calafat is also a very good road, recently redone on almost it's entire length... but trucks are still present here.
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #3065
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by violinivo View Post
Hi guys, congratulations for the fantastic job you are doing posting updates so regularly in this section! Well done!
I am following with great interest the development of the motorway system in Rumania particularly as I am Bulgarian who travels from the UK through Europe.
I am doing the trip towards the end of July, and I was interested if you could update about the current situation on the A1 route (E75). I am planing to get to Arad and make a stop in a hotel near the E75 road (as we are travelling with my 2 years old). The following day I hope to be able to get from Arad to Ruse in about 10 hours drive (that is what the SatNav is showing as trip duration).
Could you please briefly and of course if you know it (!) let me know if the road condition is OK generally, and if the trip is doable in 10 hours (especially with international traffic and loads of trucks on the way!). Also are they enough rest areas (petrol stations, etc) where a little one can play for a bit along the route?
Thanks very much in advance, and again, well done on your great section here in this forum! cheers

By the way - does it sound crazy to actually go via Bucurest - Constanta (is there any motorway section opened there yet?) - I heard that the road from Constanta to the BG border and Durankulak is 2x2, would that be shorter than to go via Ruse as my end point of travel is Varna?
Hello, violinivo!

If you are still going through Deva-Sibiu, the situation is as follows:
- the asphalt quality is from good to very good, as bogdymol said;
- from Arad and until Deva the road is not very congested, but is full of curves, so if you get behind some lorries you might stay there for many kilometres before you can overtake. Also, the road is passing through many, many villages;
- between Deva and Sebeş the road becomes very congested;
- from Sebeş to Sibiu it is the same, but from place to place there is a third lane for overtaking;
- Sibiu - Piteşti is also congested. The scenery is awesome as it is passing through the mountains, but it's very difficult to overtake trucks;
- Piteşti - Bucharest: finally motorway! The oldest one in Romania, not in a good shape, but one can still travel fast there;
- if you intend to go through Constanţa you will have to use the northern part of Bucharest ring, half of it recently upgraded to 2+2. And yes, there is a good motorway from Bucharest to Cernavodă (152km). The rest of it until Constanţa + Bypass Constanţa is still under construction.

Be aware at the police radars. If you'll see cars using flashes, usually it's a warning for other drivers to reduce speed because they are close to a police car.

Generally, there are a lot of gas stations (OMV, Mol, Agip, Rompetrol are the main, but there are also smaller ones) and some small rest areas.

Have a nice and safe trip through our country!
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #3066
bogdymol
bogdymod

@nenea_hartia: don't forget to tell him about Sibiu bypass!

@violinivo: if you go through Sibiu take the bypass instead of the city-center. It's 17 km of brand new motorway with 130 km/h speed limit
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #3067
violinivo

Thanks to both of you guys, it is apreciated!
Just a final question - as I am travelling with the little 2 years old and have a carseat for him, is it permitted in Rumania to use the car seat on the front passenger seat?

it as not actually my first drive through Romania, I did Arad - Calafat about four years ago and it was quite difficult one as they were working on most of the road and the speed was about 50 km/h for most of it - it took ages!
But I am going through a different route now and things have changed a lot since then!
Can't wait for the entire A1 to be finished (as well as for the Bulgarian ones abviously - Hemus motorway and the 2x2 Varna - Durankulak!)...hopefully in 3 years time!!

P.S. Forgot to ask whether you reckon is generally save enough to leave the car parked outside the hotel in Arad...it might be a silly question but just in case , better to ask!
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #3068
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Thanks to both of you guys, it is apreciated!
Just a final question - as I am travelling with the little 2 years old and have a carseat for him, is it permitted in Rumania to use the car seat on the front passenger seat?
If the seat if made for using it on the passenger seat you should have no problems. Just don't forget to fix it and deactivate the passengers airbag.

Quote:
it as not actually my first drive through Romania, I did Arad - Calafat about four years ago and it was quite difficult one as they were working on most of the road and the speed was about 50 km/h for most of it - it took ages!
But I am going through a different route now and things have changed a lot since then!
Can't wait for the entire A1 to be finished (as well as for the Bulgarian ones abviously - Hemus motorway and the 2x2 Varna - Durankulak!)...hopefully in 3 years time!!
You drove on DN6. Now that road is almost completely redone (except for a part of Tr. Severin - Orsova). From Timisoara to Orsova the road is very good, with no traffic lights and other restrictions. Lugoj bypass is also completed!
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #3069
violinivo

Quote:
If the seat if made for using it on the passenger seat you should have no problems. Just don't forget to fix it and deactivate the passengers airbag.

You drove on DN6. Now that road is almost completely redone (except for a part of Tr. Severin - Orsova). From Timisoara to Orsova the road is very good, with no traffic lights and other restrictions. Lugoj bypass is also completed!
Thanks, the other option is to go via Timisoara - Craiova - Alexandria, but then getting from Alexandria to Ruse I hear the road is not so good and well sign-posted....so it might be too confusing for a foreigner like me...just thinking about avoiding the heavy traffic of the other option!

Thanks!
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #3070
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

^ Another thing: Romania and Bulgaria are the only ones in Europe where it is compulsory to buy a vignette also for the main roads, not only for motorways. Every OMV, Petrom and Rompetrol gas station is selling vignettes. I know it's stupid, but that's the way it is. You can also buy it from here.
The Romanian vignette is not a sticker for the windscreen, but just a piece of paper. Basically you are registered in a database and from place to place on the road there are cameras which are checking the cars (like in Hungary). Be careful, you must keep the vignette and also the receipt provided by the gas station.
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #3071
violinivo

Quote:
That would be quite a long detour. How about crossing by ferry at Calafat/Vidin? Is there any good road in Bulgarian between Vidin and Ruse?

PS: Arad - Timisoara - Calafat is also a very good road, recently redone on almost it's entire length... but trucks are still present here.
Yes thpught about it but no good for me as the road would be a detour on my journey to Varna on the Bulgarian side....also trying to avoid ferry crossings, personal experience - a bit too much hassle in the past

Cheers!
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #3072
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

Quote:
P.S. Forgot to ask whether you reckon is generally save enough to leave the car parked outside the hotel in Arad...it might be a silly question but just in case , better to ask!
I'm not from Arad, but I would say generally, it's safe to leave you car anywhere parked. Only don't forget anything inside that would tempt someone to break the window and steal, remove the cdplayer, also one recommendation would be, if you want to leave things in the trunk, put them there when leaving, not in the parking, where some can see what you are doing, and get tempted to break the trunk.
It also depends on the car type and model. If it's a high class car, that could tempt people. Last days I saw a BMW X6 with the small rear window broken, that was 100% a burglary.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #3073
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

^ I am currently working in Arad. I never had a problem, although once I forgot my car unlocked for an entire night.
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #3074
violinivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I'm not from Arad, but I would say generally, it's safe to leave you car anywhere parked. Only don't forget anything inside that would tempt someone to break the window and steal, remove the cdplayer, also one recommendation would be, if you want to leave things in the trunk, put them there when leaving, not in the parking, where some can see what you are doing, and get tempted to break the trunk.
It also depends on the car type and model. If it's a high class car, hat could tempt people.
Thanks! I would remove most of the luggage from the trunk but I am also carrying a roofbox on top of car and that is why I am slightly more worried....thanks for the advise!
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #3075
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

I forgot my bag on the front seat once in a neighborhood with lots of gypsies, and wondered off for some hours, after returning, got shocked seeing the bag there, but no one broke the car. Also, forgot to close one window and nothing happened, this in Timisoara.I think Arad should be even more safe.
In Belgrade I forgot one window completely opened for almost half a day, again shock when reaching the car, but again, nothing happened ). Maybe a Logan is not so tempting .
But better safe than sorry.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #3076
violinivo

Absolutely!

another thing going back to the route question was that people recommend avoiding Bucarest ring road and driving through town to get to the road to Ruse. Would you say that is the best thing to do? Also do you know if it is well sign-posted? It has happened that a few of my friends have got lost there trying to find the right way apparently
Old July 9th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #3077
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12044

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
Some pics of the under construction A3 motorway near Ploieşti:

- casting concrete on the upper deck of the overpass over main road DN1::

Thanks a lot. Finally, they are closing that overpass!

Quote:
- the motorway near Râfov:
Is there any way you might know how much of the whole section is currently completed?
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #3078
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
I live in Arad and I never had any problems with the car, but as the other guys said you should lock your car and try not to leave in your car things that could tempt a car burglar.

Another thing: I don't know where will you stay in Arad, but anyway, if you are going on the route Hungarian border -> (Arad) -> Sibiu you should avoid Arad bypass. It's ultra-congested with trucks, there are 3 railway crossings that 1/3 of the time are on red and now they started working at 2 railway overpases on the bypass, so this could mean more delays. So take this route instead of this one.
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #3079
alwn

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Absolutely!

another thing going back to the route question was that people recommend avoiding Bucarest ring road and driving through town to get to the road to Ruse. Would you say that is the best thing to do? Also do you know if it is well sign-posted? It has happened that a few of my friends have got lost there trying to find the right way apparently
as for Bucharest ring I know that only 22 km out of 80 were updated to 2x2. So basically a quart of ring ( the north part). My recomandation is to drive through the city. You have to follow the line to the central part of the city and from there you will find indicators to Giurgiu (Ruse) or Constanta.

The route Arad- Deva- Sibiu- Bucharest is in good condition even a little bit crowded. I recommend you to have a stop in downtown of Sibiu instead of bypassing the city on the new motorway ring. Sibiu is a great town and you won't regret!

Also Bucharest- Constanta is a very good alternative, you have motorway 151 km and between Constanta and Mangalia 45 km of 4x1 road. I would recommend you to stop also in kaliakra to the famous scallops restaurant
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #3080
violinivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwn View Post
as for Bucharest ring I know that only 22 km out of 80 were updated to 2x2. So basically a quart of ring ( the north part). My recomandation is to drive through the city. You have to follow the line to the central part of the city and from there you will find indicators to Giurgiu (Ruse) or Constanta.

The route Arad- Deva- Sibiu- Bucharest is in good condition even a little bit crowded. I recommend you to have a stop in downtown of Sibiu instead of bypassing the city on the new motorway ring. Sibiu is a great town and you won't regret!

Also Bucharest- Constanta is a very good alternative, you have motorway 151 km and between Constanta and Mangalia 45 km of 4x1 road. I would recommend you to stop also in kaliakra to the famous scallops restaurant
Thank you for the recommendations and the advice! Actually you give me a great idea to stop and do a little sightseeing in Sibiu - and it would be a perfect break of the journey Arad - Ruse as it is more or less in the middle of it. Could you recommend maybe a place where I could park (safely) somewhere in the centre of Sibiu, perhaps even if there is a park/garden where we could have a walk with the little one, etc
Sorry about the off-topic of those questions, I don't know if there is a more appropriate section to ask those in the forum...

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania