daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #3421
5ub7e!eferic20
pârtia Subteleferic

Likes (Received): 0

Hello there fellow road enthusiasts, I was wondering if anyone here knows the exact route of the A5 is it? I am referring to the Tg. Mureș - Iași freeway (motorway)? More specifically... where are they planning on crossing the mountains? I'm thinking Bicaz gorges is a very narrow option unless they plan to tunnel heavily.

I also wanted to add that it's nice to see the freeways progressing steadily in Romania. I live in Canada now and they just recently expanded around 50 kms of the 401 motorway from 2x2 to 3x2 and it took them about 5 years or so. I think they're still working on it in some parts. I think Romania is doing pretty well in that sense, and I hope to drive on its motorways very soon.

cheers
5ub7e!eferic20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #3422
FlyBoy88
YULFlyer

The following link from CNADNR has a map with the planned trajectory of the Tg Mures - Iasi - Ungheni motorway:

http://www.cnadnr.ro/proiect.php?id=51#

Let it load, and scroll down to "Harta", then click on the thumbnail.

Not sure if this is still the plan (somebody else may confirm), but it gives u an ideea.

PS: Hey guys, I've been reading this forum for a while, but this is my first post. Looking forward to some very interesting discussions in the future!

Last edited by FlyBoy88; September 7th, 2011 at 05:08 AM. Reason: add greeting
FlyBoy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #3423
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12038

Welcome FlyBoy88!

There is also a Romanian forum with more info on infrastructure developments here.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #3424
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
Nope, but it would make completely worthless the general idea of proper & correct tender.
True!
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #3425
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Bypass Arad (part of A1 motorway)

- overpass, km 12+036:

- DSV building (to be demolished), km 6+400:

- overpass, km 6+020:

- culvert, km 5+523:

- bridge, km 5+260:

- asphalt works, km 2+000-3+000:

nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #3426
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Thanks nenea_hartia! It seems the DSV building is still in the ever "to be demolished" stage. I think it bears some bad karma for those who are going to put it down.

Bucharest-Ploiesti:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut View Post
Da da, asa mai merge!!!

more
This looks like the 2x3 section which is also the most advanced.
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #3427
violinivo

Likes (Received): 275

Hello guys,

Just to let you know my experience after driving through Rumania on my way to Bulgaria from Western Europe this Summer.

As most of you here suggested the roads from entering in Nadlac until leaving at bridge on Danube in Ruse (the future A1 motorway road I guess) was in a very good condition overall. The only problem of course, is the heavy traffic especially between Orastie and Deva, and after the end of the Motorway near Pitesti. There is a 2x2 lines road from the bridge nearly to Bucarest which is great (with some roundabouts and speed limits as it goes through a few villages).

As I was travelling with a little child I wasn't in a rush and the driving was quite nice (about 60-80km /h most of the way), we made it from the Ruse bridge to Arad in about 12 hours with plenty of stops in between. Lots of trucks as well but there are a few wider sections where you can overtake safely). Just a little annoying incident at the end of the new Sibiu motorway (ringroad) - got stopped and blackmailed by police for some cash apparently because they decided I was ending an overtaking on a double line at motorway's ending which wasn't really true at all....but there you go, the girl - policewoman was more sympatic and even we chatted a little (after she got my cash of course!

I am really hoping some of the plans for new parts of the motorway A1 to open until next Summer - could you guys advise if you expect it to happen before next July? Just any speculations would be interesting to know, I think.

Keep up with the photos and updates - you are doing a great job informing about the progress of all this work which is exciting (and would be amazing once it is all finished in a few years time!)
violinivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #3428
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

I think you were enchanted by the police woman. That's what the police does recently. They place cute police women in traffic, because it's scientifically proven that men drivers tend to be more compliant when they see police women. That might be also valid when bribing them.

You should have not bribed her. I never bribed police officers. I pay the fines.

As for openings on A1, Timisoara-Arad and Arad by-pass motorways will certainly be operational by next summer. And hopefully, all other sections on A1 from the Hungarian border to Sibiu by-pass U/C bar for some small sections.

Last edited by Le Clerk; September 13th, 2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #3429
violinivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
I think you were enchanted by the police woman. That's what the police does recently. They place cute police women in traffic, because it's scientifically proven that men drivers tend to be more compliant when they see police women. That might be also valid when bribing them.

You should have not bribed her. I never bribed police officers. I pay the fines.

As for openings on A1, Timisoara-Arad and Arad by-pass motorways will certainly be operational by next summer. And hopefully, all other sections on A1 from the Hungarian border to Sibiu by-pass U/C bar for some small sections.
You are right, I also refuse to bribe on principle - the problem this time was that they actually threatened to take my driving license away (!!) and also wrote me an official paper after I paid - saying that this was the penalty to pay....I just wasn't in a position to dispute anything especially since if they took my license I would have not been able to continue my journey forward (although I knew they were just after the money basically). You can't really argue in these situations - these guys are the law!
The funny thing was that at the end the police woman said - I hope you don't think that police in Rumania are not friendly (!!)....
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #3430
speew

Quote:
Originally Posted by violinivo View Post
You are right, I also refuse to bribe on principle - the problem this time was that they actually threatened to take my driving license away (!!) and also wrote me an official paper after I paid - saying that this was the penalty to pay....I just wasn't in a position to dispute anything especially since if they took my license I would have not been able to continue my journey forward (although I knew they were just after the money basically). You can't really argue in these situations - these guys are the law!
The funny thing was that at the end the police woman said - I hope you don't think that police in Rumania are not friendly (!!)....
They couldn't take your driving license away, they must have recorded you doing something illegal, which is more or less impossible. My guess is that she saw you were a stranger and figured out she could make a quick buck, since no Romanian would bite the overtaking thing. Something similar happened to me in Serbia when I got a speeding ticket on a freeway section where they told me the limit was 80 km/h but there wasn't any sign that said that. Well you don't want any problems in foreign country.
speew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #3431
danielstan

Location: Pitesti, RO // Helsinki Final Act 1975, Point 3) Inviolability of frontiers
Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
I am really hoping some of the plans for new parts of the motorway A1 to open until next Summer - could you guys advise if you expect it to happen before next July? Just any speculations would be interesting to know, I think.
I speculate:
- the reason they started to build so many sections on A1 Nadlac - Sibiu is that in 2012 (autumn, probably) there are elections.
- I expect A1 Arad - Timisoara to be opened December 2011, as promised
- I don't think there is enough time to open any other section before July 2012. I even expect the works to stop or decrease after elections, due to lot of 'reasons'.
danielstan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #3432
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielstan View Post
I speculate:
- the reason they started to build so many sections on A1 Nadlac - Sibiu is that in 2012 (autumn, probably) there are elections.
Your logic is totally missing there, and actually your statement is not true. What is important for the public is openings, and not works (most people have really 0 clue about where works happen). As you said, whatever they open this fall to works will not be ready by elections next year, and, based on the rule that openings matter only, these works will benefit politically the upcoming government. Hence, they are not related to 2012 elections at all, but to the need to spend all the EU allotted infrastructure moneys.
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #3433
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Meah, that's disgusting! How much did you pay them BTW?
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #3434
FlyBoy88
YULFlyer

@ violinivo: Good to hear you enjoyed driving through our beautiful country! Despite the little police incident... I take it it happens quite often, in various formats, all around Eastern Europe. It happened to me a few years back on the M5 in Hungary. Some construction signs, speed limit, then one lane open, but no construction in sight!! Just a few cops that pulled me over seeing the Vienna plate on my rental and explained to me that I passed in a no passing zone! I tell him it's a freakin' motorway, then he starts looking for other stuff like seat-belts, headlights, etc. then says he has to give me the minimum fine, 50 euros. I just ended up paying 20 to their boss and got away clean, but certainly didn't enjoy it. Anyway, let us not allow such menial events take away from the pure joy of driving!!

@ Le Clerk: Funny thing about the police women, there's more and more of them (and cute ones) here in Montreal. It seems that sex sells even in the public sector... although they call it "gender equality in the workplace" or "non-discriminatory hiring policy".
Also, thanks for the link to the Romanian forum, it's really much more detailed. I enjoyed reading through it, and I'll become active soon.

Last edited by FlyBoy88; September 13th, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
FlyBoy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #3435
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy88 View Post
Also, thanks for the link to the Romanian forum, it's really much more detailed. I enjoyed reading through it, and I'll become active soon.
Waiting for you posts here and there. Welcome!

===========

Some pics regarding the works for Deva-Orăştie, part of A1 motorway. Many more photos here.

- future interchange near Geoagiu:

- embankment works near Orăştie:

Old September 13th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #3436
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

- archaeological works:

- works are not very advanced near Turdaş:

- also archaeological works near Turdaş:

Old September 13th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #3437
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

- Strabag is working here :

- here will be a bridge over river Strei:

- and here a long bridge over river Mureş:

Old September 13th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #3438
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

- finally: they are bringing construction materials for embankments from a hill near the village Banpotoc. The villagers aren't very happy, of course. Although my pictures are not very clear, you can see excavators and trucks on top of that hill:

Old September 13th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #3439
violinivo

@ Le Clerke and @speew: The police started with quoting 150 euros as the penalty price, then I actually told them I had no more money on me but just around 25 Euro in my wallet. The police woman actually looked inside my wallet (!!) as she didn't believe me, then they said that 20 Euro was too little and they wanted 50 Euro. I told them OK, but we have to go to the bank as I need to get it from my credit card. Now as all this was happening on the motorway they abandoned the idea of getting into town to find a cash point (which they were considering for a bit!), and the police women chatted to me for a while saying that - "OK, give us what you have and I am doing this only because you have a little child in the car, otherwise I would have taken your license away", then handed me back a 5 euro note saying -" Keep that for your coffee", and both of them took the 20 euro and returned my license with other papers wishing me a save drive (!!)....
@FlyBoy88: you are right, it seems national police in our countries from East Europe do target foreign cars to make a quick buck or two...but driving through Rumania actually was quite enjoyable inspite of what many people from Bulgaria especially say about not prefering to go through it and instead drive through Serbia (as it's quicker) - I think if you are not in a rush there is some spectacular scenery, especially around Ramnicu Valcea!
Also we spent the night into a very nice little hotel in Arad, which was cheap but also a lot nicer than its category of three stars would suggest, it was more like a good four star!
So my guess is that once more parts of the A1 are done many people going to East Bulgaria esecially transit, and maybe Turkey would prefer passing through Rumania rather than Serbia.
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #3440
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Quote:
The police woman actually looked inside my wallet (!!) as she didn't believe me
Unbelievable!
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania