daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #3541
danielstan

Location: Pitesti, RO // Helsinki Final Act 1975, Point 3) Inviolability of frontiers
Likes (Received): 407

I am a Romanian citizen who travels by Serbia to Western Europe, because Serbia has eliminated unilaterally the visa system to EU countries in 2008.
My route is:
Pitesti - Craiova - Iron Gates (Djerdap) border point - Pozarevac - Belgrade - Zagreb etc.

The custom control is a simple formality, the roads of Serbia are quite good.

When the Vidin - Calafat bridge across Danube will be ready I will use the following route:
Pitesti - Craiova - Vidin - Zajecar - Serbian highway to Belgrade etc.

Last edited by danielstan; October 11th, 2011 at 03:43 AM.
danielstan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #3542
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7681

Serbia plans to build a motorway via Zajecar towards the new Vidin-Calafat bridge. (#4 on the map below)
Also, at some point in the future, I'd personally like to see a branch of this motorway reach Drobeta-Turnu Severin via Bor & Kladovo.

CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #3543
Samply

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind19

Unfortunately Romanian strategy regarding highways also keep in mind about the traffic which is nonconstructive. The other problem is that Romanian population is distributed uniformly and tends to establish villages along with the roads. This makes impossible or very hard the expropriations. Engineers here know, you just exit a village just to enter in another one after 1km. This way speeds are as low as ~50km/h even if no one is respecting this rule (see Romanias first place in europe on accidents).

So, everything here was engineered and created very bad from the beginning. Without mentality changing, we wont have planned highways not even in 2035.
While I understand your reasoning, I think you're a bit negative, Romania in the early 90's had a road network that was possibly worse than any other european country, easily some 50 years behind western european countries, there was a lot of work to do. Perhaps development might not be as fast as one would like, but a lot of patience is needed. I think that on the case of Romania too much emphasis has been on motorways, yet the biggest need is of the updating of the entire road network (quality of the surface, bypasses, and in some cases completely new roads).
For instance why doesn't Sebes have a bypass, Dn 1 and Dn7 meet there creating
tailbacks for several km just because trucks are turning from one road to the other, a 5 km bypass could have helped solve this.
Also Dn68a (E673) between Deva and Lugoj, is a complete disaster, you need a 4x4 all terrain vehicle to use it, yet it connects Timisoara to Sibiu, Brasov and central Romania.
Imo these issues are more important for Romania than A1/A3 and cost a lot less to fix. Still progress has been made as roads like Dn1, Dn7 are of excellent quality at least as far as the road surface is concerned and do very well compared to any western european country (still too many villages though).
Samply no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #3544
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samply View Post
Also Dn68a (E673) between Deva and Lugoj, is a complete disaster, you need a 4x4 all terrain vehicle to use it, yet it connects Timisoara to Sibiu, Brasov and central Romania.
I hope you are joking. I was on DN68A between Lugoj and Deva 2 years ago and I could easly drive on it during the night with my Renault Clio with speeds around 70-100 km/h (depending on the conditions). I admit, it's not the best road, it had some potholes back then and it could be signed better, but still, you don't need a 4x4 to cross it.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #3545
bgd77

Likes (Received): 24

I also was on DN68A a few months ago and it was ok.

Sebes does not have bypass because a motorway will be build around it.
bgd77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #3546
bogdymol
bogdymod

Sebes bypass should have been built many-many years ago. Now it's too late to think at a bypass for that town because the motorway will also serve as a bypass. Hopefully, 2 years from now there will be no more queues in Sebes.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #3547
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd77 View Post
I also was on DN68A a few months ago and it was ok.
Some repavements were made recently.
However, @ Samply is right, bypasses are very needed in many parts of the country. Maybe, from place to place, repaving existing secondary roads to be used as bypasses would be an ideal solution, solving two issues at once: creating a bypass and upgrading an old road. The recently repaved DJ112A is the perfect example as a bypass for Braşov, I'm using it on a weekly basis together with DN73A.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #3548
TheHunger

Likes (Received): 0

danielstan: Why the seconde router? It seems quite a bit longer.
TheHunger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #3549
gmacruyff

Likes (Received): 1416

Are they planning a motorway between Bucarest-Craiova-Calafat?.Surely this would benefit the whole of southern Romania.!
gmacruyff está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #3550
bgd77

From what I know, it is not in plans right now. There are other priorities right now.

Maybe in a very long term...
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #3551
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
A3 in between Bucharest and Ploiesti, on a 54 km distance, has 9 exits.
A2 in between Bucharest and Cernavoda has fewer exits (12 for 200 km) as the area is not that populated as the area north of Bucharest. But the average density/km is still lower than an exit at 30/40 km. Maybe one at less than 20 km.
Where are these 12 exits on A2?
AFAIK there are just CB, Fundulea, Lehliu, Drajna, Fetesti, Cernavoda, so just 6 exits. For more than 200 km between Bucharest and Constanta there will be just 8 exits, including the first and the last one.
The only motorway with enough exits is A1, Bucharest-Pitesti and Sibiu bypass. These triangles on the SfantuMM' map are service areas, not exits.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #3552
danielstan

Location: Pitesti, RO // Helsinki Final Act 1975, Point 3) Inviolability of frontiers
Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunger View Post
danielstan: Why the seconde router? It seems quite a bit longer.
The biggest problem when travelling from southern Romania to Western Europe is crossing the Carpathians or the Balcan mountains.
This is why I exclude from beginning the DN7 route: Pitesti - Sibiu - Arad - Nadlac - Hungary. Pitesti - Sibiu is a hell.

The first route has approximatively 140 km of a narrow and curvy road in Djerdapska Klisura (Clisura Dunarii) - the Serbian bank of Danube (I drove on this one).
The 2nd route (30km longer) uses the Zajecar - Paracin (90km) pass through mountains which seems (on GoogleEarth) more comfortable to drive and you reach the Serbian highway earlier. So - the 30 km longer route are just 15 minute of driving on a highway (120km/h). There is a supplemental border cross with Bulgaria, but they simplified the procedure (I know from Giurgiu - Ruse) with 1 check point only.

Can someone from Serbia or Bulgaria confirm that Zajecar - Paracin is not a difficult road?

Last edited by danielstan; October 11th, 2011 at 03:40 AM.
danielstan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3553
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielstan View Post

Can someone from Serbia or Bulgaria confirm that Zajecar - Paracin is not a difficult road?
Even if I'm not from any of these countries, I can confirm that Zajecar-Paracin is a nice to drive road, not very difficult. It mostly has large radius curves and passes through very few villages. However I have not driven Vidin-Zajecar road. However this route is costly, since you will have to pay at the bridge and on the highway.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #3554
Samply

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol

I hope you are joking. I was on DN68A between Lugoj and Deva 2 years ago and I could easly drive on it during the night with my Renault Clio with speeds around 70-100 km/h (depending on the conditions). I admit, it's not the best road, it had some potholes back then and it could be signed better, but still, you don't need a 4x4 to cross it.
No I'm not joking but I did drive on it last year, so hopefully it's been repaved. However when I drove on it, particularly the section in county Hunedoara I wouldn't dare go beyond 50 km/h. You could tell that the asphalt had given way to heavy trucks it wasn't meant to support.
I'm happy to stand corrected about this road and look forward to try it again hopefully next summer.
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #3555
Samply

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol
Sebes bypass should have been built many-many years ago. Now it's too late to think at a bypass for that town because the motorway will also serve as a bypass. Hopefully, 2 years from now there will be no more queues in Sebes.
Not the kind of solution I would like because it means that Sebes will have at least 2 exits on the A1, whilst for a town the size of Sebes one exit is more than enough, also whilst I have no problem with the A1 also acting as bypass for Sibiu, one should'nt expect a motorway to solve all local traffic issues. A 5km 2x1 bypass for Sebes adjoining dn1 and dn7 with turbo roundabouts is a low cost solution that in my opinion makes more sense because local traffic, the town of Sebes also benefit from it, and I'm quite sure it would do a whole lot in reducing those queues.
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #3556
Samply

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia
Some repavements were made recently.
However, @ Samply is right, bypasses are very needed in many parts of the country. Maybe, from place to place, repaving existing secondary roads to be used as bypasses would be an ideal solution, solving two issues at once: creating a bypass and upgrading an old road. The recently repaved DJ112A is the perfect example as a bypass for Brasov, I'm using it on a weekly basis together with DN73A.
Yes I know that road quite well as my travelling has been between Brasov, Busteni, Bucuresti and the routes to/from western europe.
I really understand the wish to see a decent motorway network in Romania, but I'm concerned about what one will find once one leaves the motorway in the future. Besides motorway construction is costly and always prone to delays, for example perhaps by now it would have been more desirable to have a village-free dn1 rather than 50km of A3 and a very uncertain future.
Old October 11th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #3557
bgd77

Quote:
Not the kind of solution I would like because it means that Sebes will have at least 2 exits on the A1, whilst for a town the size of Sebes one exit is more than enough
Actually, it will have 4 exits.
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #3558
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
I'm happy to stand corrected about this road and look forward to try it again hopefully next summer.
The road wasn't completely repaved, they only made some repairs. So it's not perfect. In Hunedoara county the road is still in a bad condition, but much better than before.

Quote:
[...] for example perhaps by now it would have been more desirable to have a village-free dn1 rather than 50km of A3 and a very uncertain future.
+1
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #3559
kind19

Likes (Received): 17

@SAMPLY

I'm not negative but even if you're right that in 90's Romania was the worst, today is also the worst. What helps me to say it's better than in 90's if we are still the last country in Europe? Highways are always delayed with double price in the end and roads are in a very bad shape. I hate when hear people complaining about the weather problems when building/repairing a road. Look at England where rains every day and you can see road works even when it's raining. If you don't believe me search on youtube or go there. The truth is that when a country like Romania has this problems, you have to reshape the system, because there is the problem. Of course today national roads are better than in 90's and we are advancing quite slow but we move.
kind19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #3560
Keepon
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

I agree with the point of view that when it comes to infrastructure, Romania was and still is one of the worst in Europe for the simple reason that we lack motorways. But it's a major change since the '90s. I was born in '92 but I remember some road trips from '98-'99 or the early '20s, and it's not the same anymore. At least on the great majority of roads it isn't.
Keepon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania