daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #381
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
I don´t feel save on non divided highways, in Bulgaria and Romania idiots regularly use the 3rd lane to overtake and not that I do but I see how they almost crash with other vehicles and other vehicles have to slow down because of them, and that takes place every 10 minutes at least on such roads in Bulgaria at least.
I most certainly agree. High-speed undivided roads will never be particularly safe, and it gets even worse if drivers generally take a lot of chances. When I drove in Romania, the wide, undivided highways felt like an accident was waiting to happen all the time.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #382
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I agree too. They are fine for low speed (up to 70 km/h) in urban areas, but not really for high speeds (90+). A barrier in between wouldn't cost much space extra. But remember, most of these 4 lane highways will be replaced with motorways in the next, say, 5 years. I think most of them are a temporary solution to handle the traffic growth in Romania until a motorway network is build.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #383
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Great pictures, thanks for posting. I noticed you took the DN10, it is said to be one of the most beautiful roads in Romania, and that might be true.

But the North may be very beautiful too, but I haven't seen much pictures from there yet.
indeed DN10 is very beautiful, like most of the carpathians crossing roads.unfortunately i don't have any pics from north, when i was there last time, i didn't know ssc exists
north is really wonderful(maramures and bucovina), with astonishing landscapes, unesco world heritage monuments, and tradition that date back from long time ago...DN17(bistrita-suceava), DN17A(campulung-moldovenesc - radauti), DN18(baia-mare - iacobeni) are really 'must drive' roads in that region.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #384
panda80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
I most certainly agree. High-speed undivided roads will never be particularly safe, and it gets even worse if drivers generally take a lot of chances. When I drove in Romania, the wide, undivided highways felt like an accident was waiting to happen all the time.
indeed, you are right, these roads are less safe than a motorway but 2+2 undivided roads are safer than 1+1 roads, when speed limit is the same, like in romania.so they are a good temporary solution, till a decent motorway and expessway network is build.
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #385
wdw35

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
I don´t feel save on non divided highways, in Bulgaria and Romania idiots regularly use the 3rd lane to overtake and not that I do but I see how they almost crash with other vehicles and other vehicles have to slow down because of them, and that takes place every 10 minutes at least on such roads in Bulgaria at least.
Way to go radi!
For naming that the 3rd lane lol...

Last edited by wdw35; May 18th, 2011 at 01:03 PM.
wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #386
wdw35

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
indeed DN10 is very beautiful, like most of the carpathians crossing roads.unfortunately i don't have any pics from north, when i was there last time, i didn't know ssc exists
north is really wonderful(maramures and bucovina), with astonishing landscapes, unesco world heritage monuments, and tradition that date back from long time ago...DN17(bistrita-suceava), DN17A(campulung-moldovenesc - radauti), DN18(baia-mare - iacobeni) are really 'must drive' roads in that region.
Hrmmm... these are nothing. Take a DJ instead (DJ = county road, DN = national road), but bring a 4x4 or ATV. After seeing pretty much the entire DN network I decided to try the DJ network in the north. Oh boy, you're in for some surprises and breathtaking views.
(example given for Surprises: you take DJ xyz... in county A it is a nice smooth asphalt road recently rehabilitated with European funds; than you come to county A/county B county limit and it continues as a... merely pedestrian path...; bonus points: try it in winter!)
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #387
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Thanks for the photos; passing the Carpathian Mountains must have been really nice!

Quote:
Nah, I never understood the phobia against non-divided highways.
Quote:
I agree too. They are fine for low speed (up to 70 km/h) in urban areas, but not really for high speeds (90+).
Isn't this contradicting?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #388
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Not really, I think that non-divided roads are okay in low speed limit situations, such as urban and extra-urban situations, but not for high speed rural situations.
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #389
commodore

Likes (Received): 43

Bucharest - Brasov motorway under construction. Here's a video about section Bucharest - Ploiesti (60km, 2x3 lanes)

Source: Realitatea.net

Last edited by commodore; January 20th, 2009 at 11:31 PM.
commodore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM   #390
wdw35

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post
Bucharest - Brasov motorway under construction. Here's a video about section Bucharest - Ploiesti (60km, 2x3 lanes)

Source: Realitatea.net
This picture is from the Transylvania motorway, not from Bucharest - Brasov motorway.
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #391
panda80

few days ago our transportation minister said most of our future motorways will be constructed by concession to private companies.what do you think?is it good or bad?
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #392
ChrisZwolle
Road user

PPP's sometimes have more incentives to build a road that governments, therefor, a road might get constructed faster than a government would do.

They did this extensively in France. And they are all very good motorways.
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #393
panda80

Quote:
PPP's sometimes have more incentives to build a road that governments, therefor, a road might get constructed faster than a government would do.

They did this extensively in France. And they are all very good motorways.
indeed, our minister talked with Gerard Longuet, president of road financing agency in france, and he wants to build our motorways inspiring from french model.
Old January 30th, 2009, 03:23 AM   #394
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 4045

Quote:
few days ago our transportation minister said most of our future motorways will be constructed by concession to private companies.what do you think?is it good or bad?
It's good! works great in Chile.
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #395
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3764

Cluj-Napoca, Southeastern By-Pass (Valcele-Apahida), near Cluj Customs Office (Someseni)

[IMG]http://i41.************/ac68b8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/2vbn251.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/207mclt.jpg[/IMG]
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #396
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
indeed, our minister talked with Gerard Longuet, president of road financing agency in france, and he wants to build our motorways inspiring from french model.
I hope the tolls will be a bit lower than in France though... € 60 to cross the country is expensive.
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:41 AM   #397
panda80

our prime minister announced the budget for infrastructure works in 2009 will be about 2.3billion euro, which can be sufficient if we manage to absorb european funds for infrastructure.hopefully in 2009 all scheduled projects will be realised.
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:28 PM   #398
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
update photos from construction works of transylvania motorway near cluj:
http://www.autostradatransilvania.ro...nstructie.html
unfortunately now winter has come and works are reduced to a minimum.
Company building this road is american Bechtel. Does it mean they going to adopt some american design in this motorway? Like wide median or something else?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:18 PM   #399
panda80

no, i think they are going to build it by european standards.bechtel also constructed some sections of a1 motorway in croatia, also by european standards.even if they are an american company, they must comply with our legislation regarding motorway characteristics.
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #400
panda80

new pics from december 2008 were posted on transylvania motorway website.here's the link:
http://www.autostradatransilvania.ro...struction.html
this site has a decent english version, where you can see the progress of the motorway monthly.
unfortunately transylvania motorway is the only motorway finished or u/c in romania that has its own website.more transparency is really needed.

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania