daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #4201
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Extreme Romania!
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #4202
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9154

It's not about craziness but about consciousness and discipline - Nordic people are usually more socially responsible and don't need the law to tell them that when there is snow they should not risk to drive with summer tires. Southern, especially Balkan people always try to do it the easier, not the right way, even to cheat (the police, the weather, the authorities) and for this reason the laws have to be more strict here...
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #4203
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
It's not about craziness but about consciousness and discipline - Nordic people are usually more socially responsible and don't need the law to tell them that when there is snow they should not risk to drive with summer tires. Southern, especially Balkan people always try to do it the easier, not the right way, even to cheat (the police, the weather, the authorities) and for this reason the laws have to be more strict here...
We have to say however, winter tyres work good just with temperature below 7C or rain. Last weeks we had temperature particularly high to be winter so, technically, to have summer tyres were the right equipment. I myself, i never got winter tyres in 10 years i have the car. I still prefere normal tyres+snowchains when need
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #4204
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
I myself, i never got winter tyres in 10 years i have the car. I still prefere normal tyres+snowchains when need
I don't want to start a dispute here, but I believe that you are wrong. I've driven during the winter cars that had winter tyres and cars that didn't. Now I consider winter tyres a must-have (I had them installed on my car 2 or 3 years before they became mandatory).

Plus, I don't think that it costs a lot more. Let's say you drive 10k km every year. A set of tyres lasts... let's say 30k km. So with only one type of tyres you drive 3 years. But if you have both types you change them 2 times/year. Let's say that during the winter you might drive 4k km and during the summer 6k km. This means that you have to change your summer tyres every 5 years and winter tyres every 7.5 years. Of course, you might want to change them faster (or you will change even the car), but it's not that expensive as most of the people think.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #4205
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Quote:
I don't want to start a dispute here, but I believe that you are wrong. I've driven during the winter cars that had winter tyres and cars that didn't. Now I consider winter tyres a must-have (I had them installed on my car 2 or 3 years before they became mandatory).

Plus, I don't think that it costs a lot more. Let's say you drive 10k km every year. A set of tyres lasts... let's say 30k km. So with only one type of tyres you drive 3 years. But if you have both types you change them 2 times/year. Let's say that during the winter you might drive 4k km and during the summer 6k km. This means that you have to change your summer tyres every 5 years and winter tyres every 7.5 years. Of course, you might want to change them faster (or you will change even the car), but it's not that expensive as most of the people think.
30k a set of tyres? do you do burnout with the car I kept Pirelli P6 for over 70.000 Km before to change them. At 30.000 Km I just turn wheels... However here in Milan snows just a couple of days in a year (and when it snows, you can drive just with snowchains) so I never had much problems. Think that in 10 years I never had to put snowchains too (and I used to live in Germany for one year, always with summer tyres). Until few years ago, almost nobody used winter tyres (when I got my drive license, nobody ever spoke of winter tyres...), and people was able to drive the same, in my humble opinion...
Old January 28th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #4206
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
30k a set of tyres? do you do burnout with the car I kept Pirelli P6 for over 70.000 Km before to change them. At 30.000 Km I just turn wheels...
30k, 70k, same thing. I was just trying to prove something.

Quote:
However here in Milan snows just a couple of days in a year (and when it snows, you can drive just with snowchains) so I never had much problems. Think that in 10 years I never had to put snowchains too (and I used to live in Germany for one year, always with summer tyres). Until few years ago, almost nobody used winter tyres (when I got my drive license, nobody ever spoke of winter tyres...), and people was able to drive the same, in my humble opinion...
I know that in the past people haven't heard about snow tyres, but belive me when I say that there is a big difference between summer ones and winter ones. During the winter you can break a lot faster with winter ones and generaly drive faster. And as I said above, the cost for driving safer isn't that high.
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4207
Verso
Islander

Winter tyres have much better grip in cold weather.
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #4208
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Winter tyres have much better grip in cold weather.
When it's below 7C. Up to this temperature, they work less than summer tyres
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #4209
Verso
Islander

Yes, but over 7C isn't cold. Anyway, I also use summer tyres and chains in the boot.
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #4210
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
When it's below 7C.
Usually during winter temperatures are below 7C.
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4211
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Not always and depends where. Here last weeks there were around 15+ for some days... if you have a crash with such temperature and winter tyres even if it was january, a good lawyer can make you lose even if you are right...
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #4212
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Change winter tyres in 7.5 years? Tyres are good in the first 3-4 years... After that the rubber gets old and loses its smoothness and become like plastic. And the grip becomes worse and worse. Still, to have a new set of tyres every 4 years isn't such a burden even for people with Balkan salaries
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #4213
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Usually during winter temperatures are below 7C.
Temperatures below 7C don't make summer tires useless at once. The true superiority of winter tires is mainly on snowy or slick roads. You can drive summer tires on dry frozen roads without much problems.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4214
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Temperatures below 7C don't make summer tires useless at once. The true superiority of winter tires is mainly on snowy or slick roads. You can drive summer tires on dry frozen roads without much problems.
That's true. On dry roads summer tyres are not that bad, but many times during the winter the road is not dry but it has a small ice layer on top, or some snow or at least it's wet. Then the winter tyres are definitely better.

PS: change back your avatar. I used to easy identify you by your previous avatar pic
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #4215
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
PS: change back your avatar. I used to easy identify you by your previous avatar pic
There's nothing wrong with a small change from time to time. I'm sure you'll get used to it.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4216
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Summer tyres are made from harder rubber suitable for higher temperatures, that hardens even more from the cold, which makes the grip worse. And winter tyres are made from softer rubber, which when it's too hot for them becomes too soft... Actually the grip of winter tyres in summertime isn't that worse, but they get worn-out quite faster.

P.S. Chris, this tyres-discussion is quite interesting but is rather for the roadside area because it's very offtopic here.

Last edited by Chilio; January 28th, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #4217
Verso
Islander

Quote:
change back your avatar.
Is that an order to our Dear Leader Kim Jong Chris?
Old January 28th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #4218
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Is that an order to our Dear Leader Kim Jong Chris?
Nobody can order anything the Great Leader! At most we can ask for something...
Old January 28th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #4219
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

You can order me a beer...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #4220
bogdymol
bogdymod

One for Chris...