daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4221
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

I do not know whether this was posted before: Caransebes by-pass road:

Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4222
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

Nice! I think there was an "older version" when the works weren't so near to finished I much appreciate all updates from roads between Calafat-Lugoj-Timisoara-Arad
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #4223
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

It was opened on 22 December last year so it's functional already. We tend to focus on motorways here, but there is an important amount of work being done for national roads and (latelly) by-passes.

A picture of the by-pass at "ground level":

It's basically a 2x1.5 road, which I am glad about because it is safer and easier for take-overs.
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #4224
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Nice! I think there was an "older version" when the works weren't so near to finished I much appreciate all updates from roads between Calafat-Lugoj-Timisoara-Arad
The entire Calafat - Nădlac route has been improved in the last years:
  • DN66ACalafat - Drobeta-Turnu Severin: I heard that is a good road
  • DN6 Drobeta-Turnu Severin - Orsova - Caransebes - Lugoj - Timisoara: was repaved recently and it's good
  • new DN6 bypases: Drobeta-Turnu Severin, Mehadia, Domasnea, Caransebes, Lugoj
  • A1 Lugoj - Timisoara: part of it u/c, part is contestated (about 10 km which are u/c will open at the end of this year)
  • A1 Timisoara - Arad + Arad-bypass are opened (will be completed soon, but you can drive on them)
  • DN7 Arad - Nădlac (H border): very good road
  • A1 Arad - Nădlac: u/c (opening next year)
bonus: Calafat - Vidin bridge to be opened at the end of this year

I can say that this route has improved a lot compared with what it was some years ago.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Last edited by bogdymol; January 29th, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #4225
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Good summary bogdymol!

I think this route, once the Calafat-Vidin bridge is completed, will become a very interesting regional transit route, because it's a good quality road, by-passing most towns on it's way to the Timisoara-Nadlac motorway (which will be completed as you mentioned in 2013).
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #4226
bogdymol
bogdymod

Romanian SSC users started a little project to make a map of the main roads + motorways road condition. Everyone said the roads they drove on and the quality of them (mostly how the asphalt layer was) and user frunzaverde composed the map. The project is still in beta phase, but here it is:

blue - excelent road
green - good road
yellow - road in acceptable condition
[I don't know what colour is this] - road in mediocre condition
red - bad road (avoid it if you can)
pink - unpaved road

Here is the thread for this project: Starea Drumurilor in Romania (Road condition in Romania)
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #4227
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A little tip; make an English legend
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #4228
bogdymol
bogdymod

I heard that there will be an English version of it, but it's still in a test version.

Anyway, I made an english legend under the map in my previous post
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #4229
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

DN5A is paved until Grădiştea. It is also paved in the Izvoarele and Hotarele areas, maybe even to DN41 but not that entire section is covered in Street View. Most of the road is very narrow though, it does not qualify as a national road at all.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #4230
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
[*]DN66ACalafat - Drobeta-Turnu Severin: I heard that is a good road[*]DN6 Drobeta-Turnu Severin - Orsova - Caransebes - Lugoj - Timisoara: was repaved recently and it's good[*]new DN6 bypases: Drobeta-Turnu Severin, Mehadia, Domasnea, Caransebes, Lugoj
I'm sure it has improved quite a lot.
DN66A - was in repairs in springtime 2007 when I travelled there, the road was good, but there aren't bypasses of the villages (which are built along the road), so the main problem remains even after repavement...
DN6 - when I traveled on it back then, it was also in repairs, there were some terrible sections with Concrete from the WW2 period, also some parts which were completely without pavement - old pavement was removed, there was only new gravel, some quite nasty bigger stones. I think after repavement it should be quite good now. But still there were also a lot of villages, which are still not by-passed. And also some quite steep and sharp mountain turns.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #4231
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
DN5A is paved until Grădiştea. It is also paved in the Izvoarele and Hotarele areas, maybe even to DN41 but not that entire section is covered in Street View. Most of the road is very narrow though, it does not qualify as a national road at all.
Yes, DN5A is not paved just between Izvoarele and Comana. The rest of the route is all paved, with asphalt quality ranging from bad to good. It used to be just a county road, went in the administration of CNADNR just few years ago. The kilometre marks and signage is not even changed.
Skilldetector A new HR platform where everything is about your skills!
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #4232
bogdymol
bogdymod

Night pics of A1 Arad bypass:

Future interchange night works at A1 Arad bypass / A1 Arad-Nadlac:

Old January 30th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #4233
Angulo

Likes (Received): 3657

I can't see this photos.
Angulo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #4234
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angulo View Post
I can't see this photos.
Try refreshing the page. They work fine here.

The road quality map of Romania has been updated. Here is a nice post by frunzaverde explaining some facts about it on the Romanian section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkot634 View Post
Câte% din drumurile naţionale din România este în stare bună?
translation: what percentage (%) of national roads from Romania are in good shape?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frunzaverde View Post
I'll answer in English, as I suppose you are more comfortable in English than Romanian (and if you're not Google Translate does a better job translating English to Polish than Romanian to Polish).

We haven't counted all the roads yet, but out of my own calculations, these would be some results:

The 'main' network (the entire E-network in Romania + A1,2,3 + DN10 + DN21 + DN2B) would be about 85% in 'good' or 'excellent' shape, with about 10% more being currently rebuilt to this standard.
The only roads in the main network that are less than average in quality (and not currently under repair/reconstruction) are about half of DN73 (mediocre-poor condition) and a section of DN66 which is in a poor shape.

The secondary and tertiary network would be about 30-35% in good or excellent conditions, about 40% in average-fair conditions and about 25-30% in poor or really bad conditions.

There are still some roads to be assessed, but with today's update, almost all of them will be part of the tertiary national roads network.

This would be the key (legend) to the map in English:

Key

A road drawn as two parallel lines is a motorway.

A road drawn as a single stroke is a normal national road. Some of these may be four lanes of traffic (2+2), (e.g. the whole of DN5 or DN1 between Otopeni and Campina), even with some separation between carriageways (e.g. on a short section of DN7), but the overwhelming majority of roads (>85% of the total national roads network) is formed by 1+1, single carriageway roads.

Drive without cares

Blue - excellent or really good road. Excellent road surface, signage, nothing to complain what-so-ever in terms of surfacing or signage. Most of these roads were substantially rebuilt (with some small sections built from scratch) in the last 2-3 years.

Green - good road, with generally good road surface, good markings and signage, and only relatively small problems.

On blue and green roads road conditions should not be of any concerns what-so-ever, and travel will be generally comfortable (except for road congestion or traffic jams - these are not taken into account in this map).

Drive but be slightly careful:

Yellow means acceptable/fair road. It's drivable without significant concerns, but it may have some more significant comfort issue - such as occasional potholes, some crocodile cracks or some ruts.
Roads that are under significant rehabilitation work are also placed under this category (with a blue dashed line on top). On such roads you may encounter building traffic, narrowed lanes, occasional stops at temporary traffic lights etc. Once these works will be finished, the road will become 'blue'.

A snowflake next to the road number means the road is closed during the winter (October to April/May usually).

Having 50 km of yellow road where taking a green road would mean a 100 km detour is, in my mind, not something I would do. But if the detour is no more than 10 km, I would take the detour.

Try to aviod

Pink means generally poor surface, with a significant number of potholes, ruts,cracks etc. and generally uncomfortable road conditions. A 10-15 km section of such a road should be ok, but more than that, I would avoid at all cost. If, on the map, you encounter tiny sections on otherwise good or excellent roads, it's usually because of some small, topical issue. In such cases I would use the road - it's just 5 km with a specific issue.

Roads that are under really heavy rehabilitation work, originating in poor or generally poor conditions are also placed under this category (with a blue dashed line on top). On such roads you may encounter building traffic, narrowed lanes, occasional stops at temporary traffic lights etc. Once these works will be finished, the road will become 'blue'.

Red means outright bad road. It's still tarmacked, but full of potholes, ruts, cracks and heavily degraded road surface. There's most likely no to little road markings or signage (not that you'll care, since you'll not be doing more than 40-50 km/h at the best of times). Avoid at all costs - any detour is worth it (unless you have to get to a place alongside such a road).

If it's got a dashed blue line on top, it means that it's currently being fixed, as above. Still, don't use it.

Purple welcomes you to 4X4 territory. These roads have never had asphalt on them, and are plain dirt roads. There are very few such roads (5 sections are on the map, and I believe that's it, 2 being currently built/upgraded to proper, asphalted roads, that will be blue in color). Each of these roads has a special story telling you why they are not asphalted (a substantial part of the local Romanian road network is asphalted in some way or another). Again, if you're not in for adventure, don't go there.

A snowflake means the road is closed in winter. It also means it's really really scenic and touristy. Even if they don't fix DN7C, and it stays red I'm planning on braving it and drive there the next time I'm in RO during a summer.

A hollow blue circle over a body of water means there's no bridge over that river (and that body of water is always the Danube). Instead, a ferry will be available (at Galati, Braila, Calarasi, Bechet and Calafat - soon a bridge here!).
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:16 AM   #4235
bogdymol
bogdymod

Some pics taken recently in Bucharest area:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirolf View Post
Poze primite de la un coleg, zona Berceni:

26.01:

27.01:

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:37 AM   #4236
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
I'm sure it has improved quite a lot.
DN66A - was in repairs in springtime 2007 when I travelled there, the road was good, but there aren't bypasses of the villages (which are built along the road), so the main problem remains even after repavement...
Calafat-Dr.Turnu Severin drives me crazy. Village, accelaration, brake, village, accelaration, brake...The road quality is perfect, but it runs straight through the villages. They made such a big reconstruction of it, they should have diverted it outside the villages.
Capt.Vimes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:38 PM   #4237
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Some pics taken recently in Bucharest area:
The Day After Tommorrow!!!
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:52 PM   #4238
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Vimes View Post
Calafat-Dr.Turnu Severin drives me crazy. Village, accelaration, brake, village, accelaration, brake...The road quality is perfect, but it runs straight through the villages. They made such a big reconstruction of it, they should have diverted it outside the villages.
+1

The same stupid solution for almost all important roads in Romania. Except for DN6 Craiova-Timişoara maybe, where a number of bypasses have been built together with reconstruction of that road.
Still, a large number of bypasses were already/will be soon put into tender throughout the country, so things will hopefully start to change in the near future.

@ bogdymol: thanks for the Doomsday pics.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:28 AM   #4239
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Is that a 2 m high snow wall?
Old February 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM   #4240
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
China interested in Romanian infrastructure projects

China is interested in the infrastructure construction projects that the Romanian Government wants to launch through public-private partnerships, such as the Bucharest Beltway and the Braila bridge over the Danube. However, Chinese sources say that the Romanian Government must provide guarantees for investors. " We are interested in green energy, infrastructure and telecom projects. Chinese investors are interested in the Bucharest Beltway project, but the main problem is the guarantee provided by the state because investors fear that they would not be able to repay their loans, '' said Huo Yuzhen, ambassador of P.R. China.
(Romanian Source)

I think they can get the guarantees they are asking for. Is that an invitation proper for negotiations?

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania