daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5041
bogdymol
bogdymod

A1 Timisoara-Arad motorway was opened last December, although it wasn't 100% ready. To be able to open it then, the contractor had to hurry up the works, so we see now the results: some sections, near the bridges, need to be repaired.

Even though the motorway is opened for nearly a year, many things have remained unfinished (overpasses, water drainage etc.)

Police speed trap:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5042
bogdymol
bogdymod

That electric wire pole is in that position since the motorway was opened. It still waits to be mounted into position...

Old September 16th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #5043
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

sloppy work
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #5044
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Even though the motorway is opened for nearly a year, many things have remained unfinished (overpasses, water drainage etc.)

I am a complete ignorant if it comes to builidng motorways. but is it normal ? I mean a year later the construction is not properly secured ?
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #5045
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
sloppy work
We could thank to FCC & Astaldi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
I am a complete ignorant if it comes to builidng motorways. but is it normal ? I mean a year later the construction is not properly secured ?
Of course it is not. The motorway remained incomplete due to a financial dispute Employer/Contractor. It seems they have finally reached to an agreement.

@bogdymol: thanks for the pics and mostly for posting them here.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #5046
and802

hmm, I am not going to say that my country (actually a road authority institution - GDDKiA) knows how to deal with problematic sitations, but usually after a given (quite short period of time) contract is cancelled and a new vendor/contractor pops up and the contruction works are resumed. if you say it takes a year and Romanian road authority did not do much (I assume it no visible action is taken) then what- rather where - is the problem ?
Old September 18th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #5047
roata

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
realy nice videos roata
is the a4 gonna reach tulcea somewhen,when i was there last time there wasnt any motorway around constanta.a little strange to me that timisoara isnt signed on the distance sign but arad and especialy nadlac is.i dont get it why many sign border towns instead of signing big and well known cities
Technically A4 should reach Tulcea, but we're talking about a very, very, very distant future. The current A4 plans include the extension southbound passing by all our Black Sea resorts then eventually reaching the Bulgarian border. There it should connect to our neighbor's equivalent of the Black Sea motorway (connecting to Varna).

The Tulcea part is a bit tricky. First of all, current traffic does not make a Constanta (Ovidiu, actually) - Tulcea high speed road worth the investment.
Second, it will have to pass very close to some protected natural areas, such as the Danube Delta.

To answer the second question: since the motorway network is still not developed enough, it is easier to indicate specific locations, such as Arad and Nadlac.
The reason Nadlac is on most signs is simply because most of Romanians who want to travel West, use Nadlac as the main border point. Everyone knows where Nadlac is, but not everyone is accustomed to the idea that there will be a motorway in that direction (many still prefer the old national roads - because they're more familiar).
Indicating Nadlac is like saying: "Hey, this way to the Hungarian border."
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #5048
bogdymol
bogdymod

Pictures taken today at A1 / Giarmata (Timisoara) exit

Local road Timisoara-Lugoj underpass A1 begun to be covered with asphalt.

The missing link between Arad-Timisoara (FCC/Astaldi) and Timisoara-Lugoj lot 1 (UMB) was on Sunday just at earthworks stage. Now it is covered with asphalt.

The A1 overpass over Timisoara-Lipova road had some problems with the goundworks at the end of the pass. Now they are rebuilding that area.

View from the overpass to Lipova:

Bonus: Ford made in Romania on A1

One last thing: I noticed the first pothole on Arad-Timisoara motorway.
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #5049
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

Quote:
One last thing: I noticed the first pothole on Arad-Timisoara motorway.

BTW: Nice shot of a truck loaded with B-MAXs. It's the first pic I see.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #5050
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Unfortunately it's true. It's on Arad -> Timisoara direction, about 500-1000 m before Ortisoara (closed) exit, on the first lane. And it's quite deep...

Quote:
BTW: Nice shot of a truck loaded with B-MAXs. It's the first pic I see.
I see everyday at least 2-3 trucks with Ford B-Max. I even posted some pics on the Romanian thread.
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #5051
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Unfortunately it's true. It's on Arad -> Timisoara direction, about 500-1000 m before Ortisoara (closed) exit, on the first lane. And it's quite deep...
Be careful about the accuracy of the information you are giving here. Are you sure that the pothole is aboit 500-1000 m before Ortisoara, and not a few m further? How deep is it more preciselly? Are you positive it's only one pothole or are there 2 maybe. Have you looked carefuly? People here need precise info. Thank you.
Old September 20th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #5052
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Be careful about the accuracy of the information you are giving here. Are you sure that the pothole is aboit 500-1000 m before Ortisoara, and not a few m further? How deep is it more preciselly? Are you positive it's only one pothole or are there 2 maybe. Have you looked carefuly? People here need precise info. Thank you.
Actually there were 3 small potholes close to eachother at 739,4 m from the beginning of the deceleration lane from Ortisoara exit. The potholes were located at 1,76 m left from the continous white lane that separates driving lane 1 from the hard shoulder. The potholes had between 50 and 60 square cm and their maximum depth is 15,6 cm, with an average depth of 8,9 cm.

Better now?
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #5053
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Great stuff! You never know which pothole you hit unless you have that info firsthand.

Anybody insightful care to make us the theory of motorway potholes, such as type, form, depth, etc? Much appreciated.
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:12 AM   #5054
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

edit
Old September 21st, 2012, 04:07 PM   #5055
eurocopter

Likes (Received): 2043

I can't find anything amusing in your comments Leclerk. Potholes appeared on a motorway 9 months after its opening, without being ready and at strong requests of particular politicians denotes stupidity and results in the worst quality of a new motorway segment in Romania. It is a clear example that the political ambitions of persons who did not have any clue regarding road engineering or infrastructure, was at least harmful for this motorway and as a consequence it is almost a year after its opening and we still can't ride it respecting motorway standards (exits not ready, 100km/h speed limit, etc).
eurocopter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5056
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocopter View Post
I can't find anything amusing in your comments Leclerk. Potholes appeared on a motorway 9 months after its opening, without being ready and at strong requests of particular politicians denotes stupidity and results in the worst quality of a new motorway segment in Romania. It is a clear example that the political ambitions of persons who did not have any clue regarding road engineering or infrastructure, was at least harmful for this motorway and as a consequence it is almost a year after its opening and we still can't ride it respecting motorway standards (exits not ready, 100km/h speed limit, etc).
+1

Except for Arad Bypass, I think all motorways in Romania are still incomplete: traffic signs pointing to inexistent SOS telephones or to unopened exits or interchanges left deserted by the Contractors a long time ago, rest areas still waiting for toilets or gas stations, missing fences or even guardrails, sloppy asphalt works and so on...
It is so sad to see some users are cheering this governmental policy...

Last edited by nenea_hartia; September 21st, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:12 PM   #5057
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocopter View Post
I can find in LeClerk comments some irony towards a fellow forumer he had conflicts here with in the last few months...
Skilldetector A new HR platform where everything is about your skills!
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:25 PM   #5058
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

I just wanted to be a bit funny ... and ironic ... but mostly funny about a bitch situation. Don't exagerrate too much about a few potholes though. The real issue here is the fact that we still have some major infrastructure development issues in Romania such as not enough infrastructure developed in due time and even funding restrictions more recently, rather than one or two holes here and there.

PS: I took the Bucharest Ring recently because I needed. DON'T DO IT!
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:59 PM   #5059
and802

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
I can find in LeClerk comments some irony towards a fellow forumer he had conflicts here with in the last few months...
Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:18 AM   #5060
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
+1

Except for Arad Bypass, I think all motorways in Romania are still incomplete: traffic signs pointing to inexistent SOS telephones or to unopened exits or interchanges left deserted by the Contractors a long time ago, rest areas still waiting for toilets or gas stations, missing fences or even guardrails, sloppy asphalt works and so on...
It is so sad to see some users are cheering this governmental policy...
I think you misread me. I was not cheering any of that, just being sarcastic about the whole situation of potholes, not necesarilly ironic about bogdymol's post.

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania