daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #5161
mediar
Digital.Creation

Likes (Received): 5336

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
By the way, those yellow border, red arrow signs at the Izvin exit are identical to those in the Netherlands, I haven't seen them elsewhere so far.
You mean these?

What's so special about them?

НЕ ИЗПОЛЗВАЙТЕ GOOGLE-СКИ САЙТОВЕ ЗА ХОСТИНГ НА СНИМКИ!!!
mediar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #5162
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Those don't have a yellow border around them for extra attention.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #5163
bogdymol
bogdymod

In Romania both versions (with or without yellow border) are widely used.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #5164
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Yesterday a representative of an association of the truck companies in Bulgaria commented, that the Romanian road authorities are about to restrict the direct road Calafat-Drobetta Turnu Severin for heavy weight traffic and to oblige trucks to use the longest road via Craiova, which will mean some 160 km more for truck drivers and will make using the new Danube bridge 2 Vidin-Calafat not profitable at all for cargo transportation. Is this rumor true?
There were a series of landslides on this route, but my reading is they were fixed some years ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNU View Post
A possible answer:

The only problem that I know of is at Starmina Hill, between Hinova and Rogova (you can locate it on the map attached). I know that a long time, during road rehabilitation works, there was a tonnage restriction. I also know that the road platform was unstable in the past but I thought that they solved this problems allready.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Apparently, they fixed it in 2010. That hill suffered indeed from several landslides over the years.

As a conclusion, there is no info about this in the media or on the Romanian forum. Maybe just a wrong speculation.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5165
Night Fury
Night Owl

Likes (Received): 722

As far as I've seen, the arrow signs with a yellow outline are part of the new generation of traffic signs used in Romania. You see them mostly on newly opened and restored roads, but also on other roads where you find dangerous curves. I have to admit, it's the most visible design in stormy or foggy weather, in fact it's the most visible in any type of weather.
Night Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #5166
mediar
Digital.Creation

Likes (Received): 5336

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Those don't have a yellow border around them for extra attention.
I see... Well, in Bulgaria, in such cases, instead of adding yellow border, we just change the white background to a yellow one:

НЕ ИЗПОЛЗВАЙТЕ GOOGLE-СКИ САЙТОВЕ ЗА ХОСТИНГ НА СНИМКИ!!!
mediar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #5167
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
There are 2 major projects connecting East Romania to Western Europe:

1. C IX which should be started in 2014;
2. Extension of Transylvania Motorway from Tg Mures to Iasi (which was approved under TEN-T). This is a very expensive project and remains to be seen whether can be started by 2020.

BTW: TEN-T in Romania:

are there no plans to connect hungarian M3/future M49 with the romanian network? it would be the shortest way to connect north-east romania with the rest of europe. i think of a connection between satu mare-suceava. or something like that...
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #5168
Baiazid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
are there no plans to connect hungarian M3/future M49 with the romanian network? it would be the shortest way to connect north-east romania with the rest of europe. i think of a connection between satu mare-suceava. or something like that...
No plan yet. However, that would mean the fifth plan of a motorway across the Carpathian Mountains. And so far each of the planned crossings A1 Pitesti - Sibiu, A3 Ploiesti - Brasov, Ax Iasi - Targu Mures and Ay Lugoj - Drobeta Turnu Severin have estimated costs of 2-3 billion EUR. And it seems extremly expensive to build even the first one, regardless which of the four crossings above. Actually the first two are the most debated and with the highest chance to actually be built in the near future.

So, it would be very easy to draw a fifth line across the mountains between Suceava and Baia Mare. But it would be just a drawing and nothing more. Maybe in 5-10 years from now the perspective and the economy will change enough to actually consider building that motorway too. But for now it makes no sense even to think of it.
Baiazid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #5169
F81

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
Maybe in 5-10 years from now the perspective and the economy will change enough to actually consider building that motorway too. But for now it makes no sense even to think of it.
Honestly I believe infrastructures should be long-time planned. Even if a motorway won't be built in the next 20 years, having it programmed can help reconsidering many local plans (e.g. a local bypass could be thought as a half-profile mw, so that it'll be easier to convert it to mw in a later time) and help thinking the network as a real network and not simply a few non interconnected stretches.
F81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #5170
JackFrost
Hun Solo

yes, i guess this connection is currently not first priority for romania, but IMO also some drawings through the carpathians would help pushing that project. this is always the first step.

btw, i found this on wikipedia, so there must be some plans (at least for petea-baia mare section)

romanian
hungarian
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #5171
van_allen78
ardelean 100%

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
yes, i guess this connection is currently not first priority for romania, but IMO also some drawings through the carpathians would help pushing that project. this is always the first step.

btw, i found this on wikipedia, so there must be some plans (at least for petea-baia mare section)

romanian
hungarian
Jack Frost ,it is more than necessary for this section , even if it should be an expressway (as it is the project ) , but if you take a search , you can see that every year since 2005 the politicians are talking about it ( more often in the elections periods ) and then....
The real reason is that we are too far from Bucharest , and they don t care about this region.There are historical and social reasons for that ... Almost everybody , nowadays in satu mare and baia mare region concluded that we would have been better if we have had today the capital in Wien , just like 100 years ago ( in fact , Wien is closer for us than Bucharest , both geographically or culturally )...
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #5172
JackFrost
Hun Solo

thats sad to hear. interesting is that until A1 is not ready between arad and hu border, satu mare will be the closest lying romanian city to a motorway with connection to rest of europe, when M3 is ready in january. i hope people from that region of yours will use it, we need traffic badly on that section
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #5173
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_allen78 View Post
...that we would have been better if we have had today the capital in Wien , just like 100 years ago ...
wasn't it Budapest ?

anyway, geographical locations have got higher priority than borders. logic always goes in the first place. for example if I were Slovakian I would use Hungarian road infrastructure to travel from east to west Sloviaka.

the only pity is that Maramures, whole southern Bucovina and maybe a part Moldavia would be (as van_allen78 said above) linked to EU via HU, not RO. with all good/bad consequences for both countries.

whatever we may cry for still there are worse examples.
once the USSR collapsed it turned out some roads/railways linking two cites of one USSR republic were actually crossing different USSR republic teritory. imagine you want to visit your family who live in the same country, but you need visa.
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #5174
MirceaValahRO

Likes (Received): 215

van_allen78
you made me sad. be cause of the roads and for the social reasons.
maybe in long term we'll have a decent road strategy .
MirceaValahRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:47 AM   #5175
mman2012

Likes (Received): 17

Any idea who had too much free time at Google (or via Google Maps Editor) and opened large A1 sections on Google Maps ?
Wouldn't it be great if a GoogleMaps based Nav system would plan a trip over there ?
mman2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:31 PM   #5176
danielstan

Location: Pitesti, RO // Helsinki Final Act 1975, Point 3) Inviolability of frontiers
Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by F81 View Post
Honestly I believe infrastructures should be long-time planned. Even if a motorway won't be built in the next 20 years, having it programmed can help reconsidering many local plans (e.g. a local bypass could be thought as a half-profile mw, so that it'll be easier to convert it to mw in a later time) and help thinking the network as a real network and not simply a few non interconnected stretches.
You discuss in fact a big issue in Romanian political life:
- long term plans made by a government (whatever political parties in it) to be respected and implemented by next governments

As a matter of fact, the 20+ years of democracy of Romania have proven this is an illusion and plans have been changed from one government to another, even if the same political parties were involved.

From another point of view, i.e. the cost per km of new highway:
- all governments have made plans for highways crossing Carpathians, but just for electoral speech, without any intention to build it because of the costs
- in fact they have started with the easiest highways (A2 Bucharest - Constanta, A1 Arad - Timisoara, A3 Bucharest - Ploiesti) which are built in planes or hills, but not in the mountains, because when they enter the election campaign they say to the people:
"We have built X km of highways during our 4 years mandate"
All that matters is the 'X' km to be highest possible.

An exception is A3 Transylvania with a contract given to American company Bechtel, as a payment for NATO accession.
EU funds have made possible to built some segments of A1 Sibiu - Timisoara in some hilly regions, but the work is in progress.

Last edited by danielstan; November 1st, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
danielstan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:42 PM   #5177
danielstan

Location: Pitesti, RO // Helsinki Final Act 1975, Point 3) Inviolability of frontiers

@van_allen78,
Would your capital have been Budapest or Vienna, I bet you and the people from your region would have spoken Hungarian today (if the native language means something to you).
I am sure there are Hungarians or Austrians which consider Budapest or Vienna are neglecting their regions, too.

Separatism due to economical reasons is a fake solution.

Last edited by danielstan; November 1st, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:11 PM   #5178
slakero

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielstan
Separatism due to economical reasons is a fake solution.
Why?! Wasn't that the main reason why USA got independence?

PS Ok, i know this is offtopic, but I had to ask.
slakero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:13 PM   #5179
MirceaValahRO

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakero View Post

I don't think that was the main reason.
Take for instance Hong Kong ...they were british , now they are chinese and I know for sure how wealthy they are and were.

I'm looking forward to the Pitesti-Sibiu Highway , after that will be easy.
MirceaValahRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:45 PM   #5180
danielstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakero View Post

I have to answer, hoping my off-topic will be tolerated...

USA got independence for economical reasons, indeed.
But USA forbade secession to Southern Confederation during the War for Secession, which is hypocrisy.

Bosnia got independence, but forbids the secession of Srpska Republic.

What I meant is that in every country there are rich regions and poor regions and the game of secession of the rich never ends.

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania