daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #5261
panda80
Registered User
 
panda80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Braila/Bucharest
Posts: 4,371
Likes (Received): 333

The first 3 pictures are from Deva-Orastie motorway section, you can clearly see the bridge over Mures there. The next ones are indeed from Lugoj-Deva lot 1.
__________________
my clinched highways
my flights
my travelogue Now Dresden, Germany
Skilldetector A new HR platform where everything is about your skills!
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #5262
Baiazid
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,022
Likes (Received): 1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
When will the second carriageway of A2 Cernavodă - Medgidia open?
The Prime Minister said about 10 days ago that the opening date "will be" the 16th of November. It's 18 today and not opened yet. However, it should be any day now.

It is also true that the opening is not only about the second carriage way of Cernavoda - Medgidia, but it's about the whole Cernavoda - Constanta. So far, although it was opened for traffic partly even since 2010, it was still under construction all the way from Cernavoda to Constanta, with a speed limit of 80-100 km/h, due to missing crash-barriers, incomplete works etc. Therefore starting with the opening we expect these days, A2 will become a complete motorway with a speed limit of 130 km/h all the way from Bucharest to Constanta.
Baiazid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:54 PM   #5263
Qtya
sensational
 
Qtya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Budapest - Brussels
Posts: 15,226
Likes (Received): 9377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Construction works have been suspended for this section, and we hope it will become U/C again next year. That's why no pics were posted here.

The section is 50% completion currently, and if funds are allotted, it could be opened next year.
Sad, but great shot!



Source: http://iho.hu/hir/felbehagyott-autop...delyben-121121
__________________
„A nemzet csak akkor remélhet egy jobb jövőben, ha polgárai képesek közös erőfeszítéssel felelősséget vállalni a közjóért.”

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:08 PM   #5264
eurocopter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,673
Likes (Received): 2043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk
Construction works have been suspended for this section, and we hope it will become U/C again next year. That's why no pics were posted here.

The section is 50% completion currently, and if funds are allotted, it could be opened next year.
No way, the other 50% are in incipient stages. 2015-2016 would be realistic for this section.
eurocopter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:27 PM   #5265
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,595
Likes (Received): 19389

What is the cost of the Suplacu de Barcău Viaduct?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:54 PM   #5266
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,182

I don't know if there is a public cost for just the viaduct. Bechtel got from Romania about 1 or 2 billion $ for those 52 km of A3 near Cluj, for this viaduct, and for some more works near Bors.
__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:45 PM   #5267
Baiazid
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,022
Likes (Received): 1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What is the cost of the Suplacu de Barcău Viaduct?
I remember round about 180-200 million EUR.
Baiazid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM   #5268
and802
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Izabelin
Posts: 526
Likes (Received): 55

what was the purpose of builidng the viaduct ? a terrain ? to preserve a surrounding nature ?
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 12:27 PM   #5269
Baiazid
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,022
Likes (Received): 1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
what was the purpose of builidng the viaduct ? a terrain ? to preserve a surrounding nature ?
It is crossing a future reservoir for a future hydro plant. However, it was an absolute stupid decision to start the work with that section, which even if ready, would be almost useless since it ends nowhere and it was a stupid decision to chose that path and start with that viaduct. They started back in 2004 and completed the viaduct in 2010. But the construction of the reservoir and of the hydro plant is indefinitely postponed anyway.

So we've spent 200 mil. EUR on a useless viaduct which might stay for many years to come (maybe forever) over land, not over water. And it will be at least 3-4 years before it will actually become part of a motorway and maybe 5-7 years before it will be part of a useful motorway, connected to some major cities.

Money flushed down the toilet...

The viaduct is here
Baiazid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #5270
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED
 
Le Clerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 35,476
Likes (Received): 12038

Now it's official:

Quote:
CNADNR Terminates Contract To Build Nadlac-Arad Highway Section
11.22.2012

Romania’s national roads authority CNADNR said Thursday it terminated a contract to construct the first section of the Nadlac-Arad highway, arguing that the consortium selected to build the section breached the contract terms.
http://www.zfenglish.com/companies/a...ction-10344750
__________________
Rebuilding Bucharest's History: Lipscani Area |Victoriei Ave. | Elisabeta Bld.
Yes, it's Dracula's Castle
Best picture collection of UNESCO sites in Romania
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5271
Baiazid
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,022
Likes (Received): 1019

I keep saying that's great news, even if the reasons and the web of interests behind is far more complicated than what one can read in the official announcements.

After all it's said and done, and completely disregarding the political aspects, in the past two years we had a huge leap in the motorway construction in Romania. From unbelievably slow progressing contracts (5-7 years for 10-20 km), with indecent costs per kilometer (10-20 million EUR / km) and countless "additions" to contracts which usually led to doubling the contract value, way before having anything ready, we got down to amazingly fast constructions (1 -2 years or less), even with full openings ahead of the planned dates, for reasonable costs per kilometer (3-6 million EUR / km) with the illegal impossibility to have additional costs higher then 10%.

In this new context we see contractors who really want to build motorways and of course, earn the money. While the beggars and the cheaters, such as Colas and Romstrade so far, are being kicked out. I would say that sends a good signal both to the constructors and to us, the citizens. Therefore, the termination with Romstrade sound great to me!

Not to forget, we've also kicked Bechtel out of most of that huge A3 contract in Transylvania. What a horrible company!! I know, a lot of people defend Bechtel and keep saying how great company it is worldwide and how great constructions it builds elsewhere. And how the Romanian Government is exclusively to blame because of poor funding. Give me a break!!

In any contract the supplier and the customer are partners. The supplier can not act as if it doesn't give a **** about what the customer gets out of the contract. And the fact is that Bechtel got 1.1 mld. EUR!!! from the Romanian Government. And for that HUGE amount of money, after 8 (EIGHT) YEARS they've built 52 km of operational motorway, an incomplete useless viaduct in the middle of nowhere and some 20 km of cleared vegetation! And they keep claiming we owe them money!! Horrible-horrible company! I would be very happy to see them bankrupt as of tomorrow!

But leaving that matter, the fact is that motorway construction has leaped way ahead in the past two years. So the prospects are looking good and we might see some serious motorway constructions in the upcoming years.
Baiazid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #5272
suvi genije
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Zemun, Serbia
Posts: 453
Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
I keep saying that's great news, even if the reasons and the web of interests behind is far more complicated than what one can read in the official announcements.

After all it's said and done, and completely disregarding the political aspects, in the past two years we had a huge leap in the motorway construction in Romania. From unbelievably slow progressing contracts (5-7 years for 10-20 km), with indecent costs per kilometer (10-20 million EUR / km) and countless "additions" to contracts which usually led to doubling the contract value, way before having anything ready, we got down to amazingly fast constructions (1 -2 years or less), even with full openings ahead of the planned dates, for reasonable costs per kilometer (3-6 million EUR / km) with the illegal impossibility to have additional costs higher then 10%.

In this new context we see contractors who really want to build motorways and of course, earn the money. While the beggars and the cheaters, such as Colas and Romstrade so far, are being kicked out. I would say that sends a good signal both to the constructors and to us, the citizens. Therefore, the termination with Romstrade sound great to me!

Not to forget, we've also kicked Bechtel out of most of that huge A3 contract in Transylvania. What a horrible company!! I know, a lot of people defend Bechtel and keep saying how great company it is worldwide and how great constructions it builds elsewhere. And how the Romanian Government is exclusively to blame because of poor funding. Give me a break!!

In any contract the supplier and the customer are partners. The supplier can not act as if it doesn't give a **** about what the customer gets out of the contract. And the fact is that Bechtel got 1.1 mld. EUR!!! from the Romanian Government. And for that HUGE amount of money, after 8 (EIGHT) YEARS they've built 52 km of operational motorway, an incomplete useless viaduct in the middle of nowhere and some 20 km of cleared vegetation! And they keep claiming we owe them money!! Horrible-horrible company! I would be very happy to see them bankrupt as of tomorrow!

But leaving that matter, the fact is that motorway construction has leaped way ahead in the past two years. So the prospects are looking good and we might see some serious motorway constructions in the upcoming years.
It seems that someone from your government got a great personal financial satisfaction for that mess.
Similiar thing is here in Serbia.
Croatians have excellent motorway network, but their ex prime minister went to prison for 10yrs for corruption.
suvi genije no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #5273
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED
 
Le Clerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 35,476
Likes (Received): 12038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
I keep saying that's great news, even if the reasons and the web of interests behind is far more complicated than what one can read in the official announcements.

After all it's said and done, and completely disregarding the political aspects, in the past two years we had a huge leap in the motorway construction in Romania. From unbelievably slow progressing contracts (5-7 years for 10-20 km), with indecent costs per kilometer (10-20 million EUR / km) and countless "additions" to contracts which usually led to doubling the contract value, way before having anything ready, we got down to amazingly fast constructions (1 -2 years or less), even with full openings ahead of the planned dates, for reasonable costs per kilometer (3-6 million EUR / km) with the illegal impossibility to have additional costs higher then 10%.

In this new context we see contractors who really want to build motorways and of course, earn the money. While the beggars and the cheaters, such as Colas and Romstrade so far, are being kicked out. I would say that sends a good signal both to the constructors and to us, the citizens. Therefore, the termination with Romstrade sound great to me!

Not to forget, we've also kicked Bechtel out of most of that huge A3 contract in Transylvania. What a horrible company!! I know, a lot of people defend Bechtel and keep saying how great company it is worldwide and how great constructions it builds elsewhere. And how the Romanian Government is exclusively to blame because of poor funding. Give me a break!!

In any contract the supplier and the customer are partners. The supplier can not act as if it doesn't give a **** about what the customer gets out of the contract. And the fact is that Bechtel got 1.1 mld. EUR!!! from the Romanian Government. And for that HUGE amount of money, after 8 (EIGHT) YEARS they've built 52 km of operational motorway, an incomplete useless viaduct in the middle of nowhere and some 20 km of cleared vegetation! And they keep claiming we owe them money!! Horrible-horrible company! I would be very happy to see them bankrupt as of tomorrow!

But leaving that matter, the fact is that motorway construction has leaped way ahead in the past two years. So the prospects are looking good and we might see some serious motorway constructions in the upcoming years.
Agree with your summary of motorway construction development in Romania! I would only note that in what concerns Bechtel, you are wrong, because Bechtel's main goal, as a company, is to maxime profits, and if governments are stupid enough to offer the opportunity to maxime the profits at an unusual rate than so it be! And that is what happened with the Bechtel agreement signed in 2004, and we both know how stupid was that contract for the Romanian side, unbelievably stupid.

Therefore, I'd put the blame on the Romanian Gov and not Bechtel. Moreover, from my reading of opinions by engineers, Bechtel has been quite effective in building the (high quality) 52 km of TM once the money was made available. In addition, Bechtel agreed to exit more than half of the contract back in 2011, following negotiations with the RO Gov, although it was under no obligation to do so. On the contrary, Bechtel could've just claimed damages in billions, but they agreed to terminate with no claims against the Romanian side (aside from due payments for executed works). And we have to admit it was a gesture of good-will from them.

Anyway, the good news we have made a HUGE progress in the past year in terms of motorway construction, and I really hope that huge progress not only to be maintained, but to see some further leaps with one or two PPPs, especially on the tough section of Comarnic-Fagaras and Tg Mures-Iasi. That would be REAL progress in the years to come from the current standing of motorway construction.
__________________
Rebuilding Bucharest's History: Lipscani Area |Victoriei Ave. | Elisabeta Bld.
Yes, it's Dracula's Castle
Best picture collection of UNESCO sites in Romania
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Last edited by Le Clerk; November 24th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #5274
Baiazid
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,022
Likes (Received): 1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
II would only note that in what concerns Bechtel, you are wrong, because Bechtel's main goal, as a company, is to maxime profits, and if governments are stupid enough to offer the opportunity to maxime the profits at an unusual rate than so it be!
And that is exactly what I'm arguing! It's not like this at all. And I'm not talking about principles or morality, but of common sense.

That contract was huge (415 km for 2-4-undefined billion EUR) and for a long term (5 years initially, 7 years later on). Regardless of the initial agreements, it would have been in the mutual interest of both Bechtel and the Romanian Government to complete that contract. For Bechtel it would have been a great reference. And they would have earned far more from the whole contract.

I'm absolutely sure that it was no joy the repeated commissioning and decommissioning of the construction sites of 1500-2000 workers and the corresponding hardware.

No matter how you put it, it was a failure for Bechtel as well and they are equally to blame as the Romanian Government. For instance, I'm sure Bechtel was involved in the decision of which sections to start at first. So they were part of that congregation of idiots which decided to build useless sections for years to come.

I mean, come on, they were able to impose a contract which gave them all the rights, while Romania had only obligations, and they were not able to impose logical and technical construction decisions, such as "let's make a motorway that people could actually use" for that 1.1 billion EUR they got paid already?!?
Baiazid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #5275
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED
 
Le Clerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 35,476
Likes (Received): 12038

I am not sure the current section is useless, while it is part of Cluj by-pass.

The commissioning and decommissioning of plant and workforce was part and result of the RO Gov's inability to ensure the (admitedly) huge financing for the construction works, in a period when the RO Gov was struggling to ensure co-financing or financing proper for hundreds of kms U/C on CIV, AND in a period of economic recession.

So, I am sorry but I really do not see Bechtel's fault here. When they got the money, they did their job, even for a high price. But it's the price the RO Gov undertook to pay by (intently?) signing a totally unbalanced agreement with Bechtel. You know how we say it, "stupidity and snobbery always have high costs".
__________________
Rebuilding Bucharest's History: Lipscani Area |Victoriei Ave. | Elisabeta Bld.
Yes, it's Dracula's Castle
Best picture collection of UNESCO sites in Romania
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Last edited by Le Clerk; November 24th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #5276
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED
 
Le Clerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 35,476
Likes (Received): 12038

Anyway, let's see some more pictures of works - this time smth new and good quality: Brasov by-pass works:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adailton92 View Post
Salutari,
Ieri si astazi am dat o fuga pe santierul centurii Brasovului.
Am inceput de la nodul rutier cu DN13:













Pacat ca aici va fi doar un girator:





Supratraversare DN1:









Sens giratoriu la capatul dinspre DN1:

Sfarsit:
__________________
Rebuilding Bucharest's History: Lipscani Area |Victoriei Ave. | Elisabeta Bld.
Yes, it's Dracula's Castle
Best picture collection of UNESCO sites in Romania
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #5277
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,595
Likes (Received): 19389

Why is the Brașov bypass not built as a part of A3?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #5278
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED
 
Le Clerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 35,476
Likes (Received): 12038

Because A3 goes about 20 kms west of Brasov, while the by-pass is going by the city margins, and it is a must for the city:

__________________
Rebuilding Bucharest's History: Lipscani Area |Victoriei Ave. | Elisabeta Bld.
Yes, it's Dracula's Castle
Best picture collection of UNESCO sites in Romania
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #5279
Baiazid
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,022
Likes (Received): 1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Because A3 goes about 20 kms west of Brasov, while the by-pass is going by the city margins, and it is a must for the city:

10 km - between Gimbav and Codlea - not 20 km, but still, far enough.
Baiazid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #5280
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED
 
Le Clerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 35,476
Likes (Received): 12038

I approximated it "from bird's eye". 10 kms is not far, but AFAIK A3 could not go the whole route of DN1, in order to continue with the Brasov by-pass, for technical reasons. So, the current by-pass is basically a continuation of DN1 passing by Brasov.
__________________
Rebuilding Bucharest's History: Lipscani Area |Victoriei Ave. | Elisabeta Bld.
Yes, it's Dracula's Castle
Best picture collection of UNESCO sites in Romania
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium