daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #41
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Now for some pics and a video of the A2 - Autostrada Soarelui (Sun Motorway). It is named this way because it links Bucharest with Constanţa on the Black Sea coast. Unfortunately, it is still incomplete, the last section from Cernavodă to Constanţa is missing at the moment. Sadly, it is the only new motorway in operation (partially) constructed after the fall of communism. The only other motorway in use is the A1 from Bucharest to Piteşti.

There is also a 4-lane road that goes along the coast from Mamaia - just north of Constanţa - to Mangalia, near the border with Bulgaria. It passes through some resorts and villages and has plenty of at-grade intersections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebunul View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cezarsab View Post
A2(sun Motorway) bucharest-Constanta

Quote:
Video ... ignore all the dickheads at the end
http://www.mt.ro/evenimente/filme/autostrada.html
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #42
twinsen
dark avenger

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
There is already a thread about Romania. You could have checked the list from the sticky thread.

Romania

So this one can be closed.
Sorry, my mistake - of course please moderators to close my thread or to delete it

twinsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #43
wyqtor
Coexist

And finally, a very nice pic:

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure, but this appears to be the 4-lane road Bucharest - Ploieşti - Comarnic, part of DN1. In this case, the big mountains you see in front are the Bucegi Mountains. The road is extremely congested during holidays, especially after Comarnic where the road narrows. But it's definitely worth it - the sight of the mountains from the Prahova Valley is breathtaking and comparable to things you might see in the Alps.
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #44
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
And finally, a very nice pic:

I'm not 100% sure, but this appears to be the 4-lane road Bucharest - Ploieşti - Comarnic, part of DN1. In this case, the big mountains you see in front are the Bucegi Mountains. The road is extremely congested during holidays, especially after Comarnic where the road narrows. But it's definitely worth it - the sight of the mountains from the Prahova Valley is breathtaking and comparable to things you might see in the Alps.
I know areas nicer than the alps, views from the roads- Léon, CL (making up autonomous comuniteis sufexes)-Saldaña,CL-Cevera de Písiguera, CL-San Sebástian de Garabandal,CT (CA would gor for catalunha), but that's in Spain.

Romanis looks very nice.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #45
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFM View Post
I know areas nicer than the alps, views from the roads- Léon, CL (making up autonomous comuniteis sufexes)-Saldaña,CL-Cevera de Písiguera, CL-San Sebástian de Garabandal,CT (CA would gor for catalunha), but that's in Spain.

Romanis looks very nice.
Yes, I'm sure there are a lot of beautiful mountain regions in Europe, I hope to visit as many as I can.
Old September 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM   #46
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

I have a question regarding the Arad-Timisoara motorway..why is the road so curvy?
IMO,this way would not only be cheaper,but would also lower traffic in/near those cities,because international traffic wouldnt even go near them.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 04:13 PM   #47
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

When there is a motorway constructed in a remote area, economy grows bigtime. It is just that stimulating. I think that's the main reason why they constructed this motorway along both cities.

And, you can easier acces the motorway from these cities for local residents, and it is easier to build a ringroad, and connect it to the A1.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM   #48
amst

Likes (Received): 967

Here are some pics of A2, few days after it was open, in 2004.

amst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM   #49
amst

http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf0100ci2.jpg
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:55 PM   #50
amst

http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf0069tw2.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf0099pw9.jpg
Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM   #51
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I like the exit sign on that 2nd pic. It's simple and clear.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:58 PM   #52
amst

Yes. It is simple and clear. But in general, signs in Romania can be misleading to a foreigner. Especially those in main cities, including Bucharest. For some reasons:

1. Signs within Bucharest usually indicate the nearest city but not the road number, and this could be confusing. For example, instead of DN2 which is one of the most important roads in Romania, there are sign for Urziceni, which is a small city close to Bucharest, on DN2. As I remember, the same is in Constanta where you can hardly find a clear sign towards A2 motorway.

2. There are no sings within a roundabout, in most of Romania. There are signs leading to the roundabout, but once you are in the roundabout, there are no exit signs. (few exceptions)

3. Few if any signs are above the road. And that could be a problem, especially on motorways and dual carriageway roads, if there is a strong traffic. Take A1 or A2. There are no signs above the road, only aside, and pretty small, I should add.

Below, pics form DN2 (Bucharest - Suceava): Most of the road is 2 x 1 + emergency lane, although there are sections with 2 x 2 and no emergency lane. Traffic can be tricky on this road, due to the fact that most slow drivers use the emergency lane as a normal lane, which is very dangerous, although convenient for faster drivers in overtaking.

http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc03375nk9.jpg

http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc03377ak4.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc03512oc6.jpg

http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc03520rb5.jpg

http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc03522ny8.jpg

(excuse the dirty window!)

http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc03398jv8.jpg

(road signs on DN2)
Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:14 PM   #53
amst

DN7 road (Arad - Deva), probably the stupidest road in Romania. Very crowded, and 2 x 1 narrow lanes, for almost 150 km. No sight of a motorway, for at least 5-6 years!

http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4914kw0.jpg

http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4916kh5.jpg
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:45 AM   #54
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
I have a question regarding the Arad-Timisoara motorway..why is the road so curvy?
IMO,this way would not only be cheaper,but would also lower traffic in/near those cities,because international traffic wouldnt even go near them.
That is probably my biggest complaint about the Romanian motorway system. If the motorway would follow a direct route, like you suggested, I would totally forgive the politicians from any insult on this forum. Because that way, it would pass exactly near my hometown and provide me with a fast link to Timisoara!

The route would then be Timisoara - Sannicolau Mare - Cenad - Mako - Szeged. And with the money they save from the reduced length they could just build a 50 km section from Arad to the main motorway.

But to ask from Romanian politicians to think is just like asking pigs to fly.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:31 PM   #55
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

i like those things in the middle which block seeing lights from cars in opposite direction. as far as i see, there are a lot of them in Romania!
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM   #56
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

the bulgarian politicians are very very good in thinking, on projectmaps we have awesome shiny motorways everywhere, the ******* whroesons just don´t build them, ******* awful ****ers, they should finally start building the motorways i can´t wait anymore, and ocourse most activity should be on Struma motorway.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM   #57
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

1. This is thread about Romanian motorways.
2. You should be banned.
keber está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM   #58
amst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Also, 53km of Expressways are in use today. That will be 83km in the future (expansion of the Bucharest - Giurgu road to the Bulgarian border near Ruse).
That is somehow not true! I know there isn't a single km of expressway in the country! There is some upgrading on DN5 Bucharest - Giurgiu, but that doesn't look like a modern western expressway, but more like a normal dual carriageway with very wide lanes.

The same is with DN1, Bucharest - Otopeni, in plain process of widening (2 x 3). They are building 3 new interchanges, but the 3 lanes are very narrow (especially on bridges).
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM   #59
amst

About the motorways:

A1 doesn't meet the TEM international standards. Service Areas are a joke. Most of them are dangerously close to the actual road, with no actual exit ramps. The problem is that there are some gas stations on this motorway that are close to the traffic, and besides being a true menace they will have to be demolished since Romania will go to international road standards, starting next year.
Also on A1, poor signaling, poorly looking exits, very narrow exit lanes, no lights on the exit areas, not to mention a catastrophic entrance/exit in Bucharest with cars parked on the emergency lane, with a big but poorly signaled interchage (to both the city ring and a big commercial area).

A2 however, has good quality asphalt, good exits (with lights), good signaling, but no gas stations and dirty parking areas with filthy toilets!

None of the two has a functional video surveillance system, which is quite unacceptable.

This year, few km of motorway will be put in service, more exactly the Pitesti Ring on A1 and next year a remote section of A3 near Cluj (~50km).
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:08 PM   #60
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by amst View Post
That is somehow not true! I know there isn't a single km of expressway in the country! There is some upgrading on DN5 Bucharest - Giurgiu, but that doesn't look like a modern western expressway, but more like a normal dual carriageway with very wide lanes.

The same is with DN1, Bucharest - Otopeni, in plain process of widening (2 x 3). They are building 3 new interchanges, but the 3 lanes are very narrow (especially on bridges).

What´s expressway for you? For me a expressway has two limes each side and a middledivider.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania