daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #6161
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
I totally disagree!

I understand there is a political movement against the Grand Projects Ministry (how ridiculous is that name?!) which is in charge with the construction of the motorways. And it seems that despite the fact that I have criticized him myself, now I'm considered one of his supporters just because this time I agree with him.

So be it, but the reality on the ground confirms what he declared today: we'll have at least 130 km of new motorway this year, possibly even 140 km. The openings start at the end of August and we'll have openings almost every month till December.
Yeah, that and, equally important, the fact that he's gonna sign concessions for Comarnic-Brasov and Bucharest South motorway orbital. And, BTW, I don't remember him saying anything about Craiova-Pitesti latelly.

Anyway, signing those concessions would open up the chances for other concessions such as Transilvania Motorway or East-West motorway, which should also be started ASAP.
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 8th, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #6162
bgd77

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
http://www.cnadnr.ro/proiect.php?id=336

Is this project completed?
No, there are still works on the whole length from Sibiu to Sighisoara (I've been on it last week). But the traffic is ok and I didn't loose too much time due to the works.
bgd77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #6163
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
...According to the transportation minister, 140 km of new motorway will be opened by end-year ...
this is very good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
.... PS 2: Romania will also take over Serbia and Bulgaria in terms of motorway lenght this year. Hungary, we are coming fast!
that statistic does not show anything I am afraid.
both Serbia & Bulgaria are more highway-developed than Romania.
just an example: in Bulgaria you can almost travel from East to West on motorway, in Serbia from North to South again motorway

so far looking at Romanian map I can travel from Pitesti to the seaside.

I would say the present motorway map of Hungary is a target for Romania, but this requires from Romania 140 km of new motorways annually for next 8-10 years.
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #6164
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
that statistic does not show anything I am afraid.
both Serbia & Bulgaria are more highway-developed than Romania.
just an example: in Bulgaria you can almost travel from East to West on motorway, in Serbia from North to South again motorway
Yes, indeed. But Romania (unlike many regional countries, Hungary or Poland included) has a huge barrier: the mountains. That is why I am hoping that we sign this year Comarnic-Brasov and hopefully next year will start signing for Pitesti-Sibiu motorway, so that there will be 2 mountain motorway crossings by 2016-2017.

The lack of a complete network was caused by this very barrier, which was avoided so far by the Transportation Ministry because of the staggering costs. They always preferred to build in the plains to maximize the funds use. For ex, with the cost of Sibiu-Pitesti, they could built 4x more motorways in the plains. Now they'll have to take the brunt of the job. It will be tough, very tough, and very expensive, but also spectacular, one of the most spectacular motorways in Europe. And I hope we'll get the chance to see scenic pictures from the mountain construction sites soon.

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 8th, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old August 8th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #6165
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Quote:
so far looking at Romanian map I can travel from Pitesti to the seaside.
You mean travel without getting off of the motorways? You can't even do that, because you have to get off A1, on to the crappy DNCB (Bucharest Ring Road)* and then on the A2 motorway (and possibly A4, depending on your final destination).

*Alternatively, you could cross the city, if you're nuts.

bogdymol liked this post
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #6166
and802

you are right, I forgot to mention that this makes the journey even more annoying.

long way to reach seaside from Pitesti. not to mention Hungarians reaching black sea coast

PS. as said before reaching hungarian infrastructure level should be a goal for Romania within 8-10 years

Last edited by and802; August 8th, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old August 8th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #6167
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
*Alternatively, you could cross the city, if you're nuts.
Or drive on the southern part of Bucharest Ring Road if you are double-nuts
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #6168
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
PS. as said before reaching hungarian infrastructure level should be a goal for Romania within 8-10 years
But this is the main priority if you look at C IV development in Romania, which has been the main target for funding allocation for the last decade (and will be in the current one): connection with the Hungarian motorway network.
Old August 8th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #6169
timeandspace

i think he might refer to your jingoistic ( and unreal) assumption that we are "not far behind"/ "catching up w/" HU at some amazing "speed". he is talking about reaching a certain level not about physically connecting to it
timeandspace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #6170
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

He referred to Hungarians reaching the Black Sea. Do the double-read before and post (stupid assumptions) after, if necessary.

PS: setting the goal to reach 1,300 km of motorways in 4-5 years is not jingoism, but a decent motorway construction target for Romania. Or this is how it should be.

Romania proved it was able to open between 100-150 km/year in the past few years. We should (the ministry should) have the ambition to keep up the pace or increase it. I am saying that especially that Romania is going to get more EU funding for motorways starting next year. And that the concessions are finally becoming available.

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 8th, 2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old August 8th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #6171
and802

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeandspace View Post
i think he might refer to your jingoistic ( and unreal) assumption that we are "not far behind"/ "catching up w/" HU at some amazing "speed". he is talking about reaching a certain level not about physically connecting to it
You are right. That is exactly what I meant. I do not think you are catching up Hungary. An example with Hungarians reaching Black Sea coast (physical connection) was just a proof the Romanian motorway network is very fragmental

Actually it is very easy to measure Romanians progress. Tell me how many kms are u/c this year and that would transform into real motorway within 3 years.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #6172
timeandspace

en. i regret that humility and manners are in such dire lack.

the truth is we are not progressing fast enough and we are stumbling along and are making mistakes.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #6173
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Tell me how many kms are u/c this year and that would transform into real motorway within 3 years.
That's not entirely true. How many years ago works started on A3 Suplacu de Barcau - Bors (Bechtel contract)?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #6174
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
You are right. That is exactly what I meant. I do not think you are catching up Hungary. An example with Hungarians reaching Black Sea coast (physical connection) was just a proof the Romanian motorway network is very fragmental

Actually it is very easy to measure Romanians progress. Tell me how many kms are u/c this year and that would transform into real motorway within 3 years.
Fragmented motorway network =/= catching up. Let's stay focus.

As a principle, a motorway network is built bit by bit, as in Poland too. You can't build a 800 km motorway from one end of a country to another at a time!

In terms of pace of building, many people don't get it, including yourself, but Romania did open more than 100 km / year in the past years, and all it takes for the current ministry is to wish for the same, mind you, in the context of significantly more EU infrastructure funds starting with 2014 and large concessions, starting this year. Actually, this is what I am personally hoping the current ministry to do, and to convey here. To be more ambitious than our previous minister who was indeed the best minister so far, making possible what many still don't get it is possible: that Romania can build at least 100 km of motorways per year. It takes a bit of hope and will to achieve at least that, if not more! Yes, we can.

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 8th, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #6175
timeandspace

ARAD N bypass 2-3 hours

no matter how many km of spectacular highways and service romania will have i will always respect the proven and delivered network that i use and have used in hungary.

it is almost like comparing apples and oranges.

plus even if romania manages somehow to not balcanize and screw up its bruxelles tutored projects, hungary will also not stay still in the meantime.

compare progress on M0 in Hu to Romania ring roads etc and that was my point: we are at this moment not "coming fast" (unfortunate, revealing Freudian slip formulation of yours)

we are in fact stumbling along and not getting anywhere. in fact our dormant projects are piling up future costs.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #6176
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
en. i regret that humility and manners are in such dire lack.
I learned humility is not worth it since Miorita. Being bold and thinking big should be our new popular creed.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #6177
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
no matter how many km of spectacular highways and service romania will have i will always respect the proven and delivered network that i use and have used in hungary.

it is almost like comparing apples and oranges.

plus even if romania manages somehow to not balcanize and screw up its bruxelles tutored projects, hungary will also not stay still in the meantime.

compare progress on M0 in Hu to Romania ring roads etc and that was my point: we are at this moment not "coming fast" (unfortunate, revealing Freudian slip formulation of yours)

we are in fact stumbling along and not getting anywhere. in fact our dormant projects are piling up future costs.
Your manners are indeed gratious, so I will stop wasting time here.
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #6178
Fahrenheit 10

Construction of a bridge over the Black Sea-Danube cannal which will connect the southern part of Constanta Seaport to A2/A4 motorway

image hosted on flickr

Crane in Constanta Port II (Romania) by 92Dragos, on Flickr
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #6179
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Ship on steroids
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #6180
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhirgataZFs1694 View Post
Ship on steroids
That crane is not a ship. It is not self-propelled, which is why you see the tugboat next to it (foreground).
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania