daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #6181
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

Works on motorway tunnel on A1 Sibiu-Orastie LOT 4:

Castles and Mansions in Romania

MichiH, bleetz liked this post
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #6182
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Arad-Nadlac LOT 1 (Nadlac-Pecica 22 km) was awarded to Astaldi. The section is at 70% completion, and will probably be opened in the first half of next year.
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #6183
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Arad-Nadlac LOT 1 (Nadlac-Pecica 22 km) was awarded to Astaldi. The section is at 70% completion, and will probably be opened in the first half of next year.
Please don't copy-paste the informations from the journalists.

Arad - Nadlac lot 1 (Nadlac-Pecica), formerly awarded to Romstrade (Romanian company that went bankrupt and it's owner sent to jail because of fraudulent misuse of funds for the construction), is at maximum 40%, but even those 40% are not sure because there are many rumours that the quality is not very good and the new company that will build the motorway (seems it will be Astaldi) might have to re-build part of it.

Arad - Nadlac lot 2 (Pecica - Arad) is at 84% but the contract was canceled because the contractor, austrian company Alpine, went bankrupt. The licitation (bid) for it hasn't started yet.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Baiazid liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #6184
timeandspace

I've noticed that mention in the ridiculous article posted on the relevant thread in the Romanian section but it does not seem backed up by referring to an official document.

either way having been and photographed the deserted but finished section from arad to pecica i think on this section a much earlier opening could be possible since everything is almost ready.

even before the end of 2012 would be entirely realistic physically, but the entanglements might make it later, which is really frustrating.

arguments about the "utility"of the finished and unopened arad-pecica i find moot. any new section is welcome especially since it is almost completed.
timeandspace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #6185
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Please don't copy-paste the informations from the journalists.

Arad - Nadlac lot 1 (Nadlac-Pecica), formerly awarded to Romstrade (Romanian company that went bankrupt and it's owner sent to jail because of fraudulent misuse of funds for the construction), is at maximum 40%, but even those 40% are not sure because there are many rumours that the quality is not very good and the new company that will build the motorway (seems it will be Astaldi) might have to re-build part of it.

Arad - Nadlac lot 2 (Pecica - Arad) is at 84% but the contract was canceled because the contractor, austrian company Alpine, went bankrupt. The licitation (bid) for it hasn't started yet.
I don''t have "insider info" like you seem to, so I only referred to the media report.
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #6186
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
I don''t have "insider info" like you seem to, so I only referred to the media report.
This time it's not insider info. When the contract with Romstrade was canceled it was public the fact that the motorway completion status was somewhere around 20-40%.
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #6187
timeandspace

that is the definition of trigger happy.

a chicken, lamb, pig or cat could have written that article, it appeared tailored for hysterical and high definition media show a la Romania to stoke uninformed people's "indignation" and reinforce "opinions" they already hold dearly.

if the standard for independently confirming information"from the "press"is higher then there is more certainty and credibility and no need to amend and revert.

we'll see...

either way reservations should be expressed.
timeandspace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #6188
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Well, the good part of it is that it was finally awarded. I think we are waiting for similar news for other sections of A1.
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #6189
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
You didn't refer to a media report (there was no link, acknowledgement, or other reference in your post). You merely plagiarized a media report.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #6190
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

I think you need first to properly master the meaning of word "plagiarize" before using it. Go figure out what it means and then come back here to embarass yourself.

And, yes, let's discuss the standards of our media on this infrastructure forum. It's getting more ontopic latelly with all these winings.
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #6191
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
This time it's not insider info. When the contract with Romstrade was canceled it was public the fact that the motorway completion status was somewhere around 20-40%.
It was public for those who got to read the news. So, some news reflected then a 40% completion. Other news reflect it now at 70%. How's one better than the other? And, what's in fact the real percentage?
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #6192
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
I think you need first to properly master the meaning of word "plagiarize" before using it. Go figure out what it means and then come back here to embarass yourself.
Since I'm only a native speaker of English and a professor, please educate me.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #6193
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

It's always good to do some background checking at official sources (such as press releases). Media reports are often incomplete and sometimes completely incorrect. You won't believe the amount of material that is made up or guessed by the editor.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #6194
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Since I'm only a native speaker of English and a professor, please enlighten me.
I always love when people (modestly) expedite an answer to their apparent professional authority. How's a forum reference to a public contract reported in media an act of plagiarism can only be explained by your highly commended authority, most probably. And yes, we are getting more on-topic by the minute. Congratulations to you people!
Old August 9th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #6195
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Apparently, banks look up at the Romanian soon concessions:

Quote:
Emerging Europe looks to infrastructure to help spur growth

Nicholas Watson in Prague
August 9, 2013

Europe may be in the doldrums, though large infrastructure projects, crucially backed by multilateral lenders and export credit agencies, look set to give Emerging Europe's economies a fillip over the next couple of years.

"The outlook for infrastructure projects is better, definitely we've seen a better start in 2013 and that will continue in 2014," says Werner Weihs-Raabl, head of infrastructure finance at Erste Bank Group.

"Romania and Croatia, for example, are building realistic projects; a few years ago it was rather castles in the sky," he says, referring to the large Romanian road projects of Comarnic-Brasov, the Bucharest South-Ring Belt and Craiova-Pitesti, and the tender to monetize the debt of Croatian motorway operators and sell off the country's shipyards.

[...]
Source
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #6196
bogdymol
bogdymod

Romanian Road Quality Map

This map was made by Romanian forum user vancouverro with the help of Romanian forumers from this thread.

Le Clerk, mcarling liked this post
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #6197
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

A3 entry in Bucharest seen from the highest office tower in Bucharest - Sky Tower (137 m):

Pictures taken by myself.
Old August 10th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #6198
alwn

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
I totally disagree!

I understand there is a political movement against the Grand Projects Ministry (how ridiculous is that name?!) which is in charge with the construction of the motorways. And it seems that despite the fact that I have criticized him myself, now I'm considered one of his supporters just because this time I agree with him.

So be it, but the reality on the ground confirms what he declared today: we'll have at least 130 km of new motorway this year, possibly even 140 km. The openings start at the end of August and we'll have openings almost every month till December.
the progress of motorways program under the coordination of Mr. Sova "the Grand Project Minister" looks really amazing..

-canceling the works on Bors- Suplacu section of Transylvania motorway leaving the yard and the works to slow dissolution.
-signing the contract for Gilau- Nadaselu (8.5) in April only to cancel the contract in July..
-canceling the contract for Arad- Nadlac lot 2
-promising to finish the last section of Bucuresti- Ploiesti motorway in 3 years. We are talking about only 6,5 km..

not to mention what is going on with the subway Dr Taberei which however is not under his direct competences

In 15 months of the left wing administration of Romania it had been signed only 1 contract of new motorways ( Deva- Lugoj lot 2) out of 6 left on the Corridor no 4 (from Sibiu- Hu border). Therefore Mr. Sova is thinking to ask the indulgence of EU Commission to extend the deadline of EU money reimbursement until 2016 instead of 2015 (2013+ 2). Of course, at the end we are going to lose EU money because of this amazing gov..

Regarding the 130 km of motorways to be completed till the end of the year obviously we forget who started these projects and in what stage were left 15 months ago .. So, again, anyone believes that is Mr Sova merit?

Btw, anyone has knowledge about a km, a meter, a centimeter of new motorway started under Mr Sova "competent" coordination?

http://www.zf.ro/zf-24/autostrazi-cu...omica-11062850

http://www.zf.ro/zf-24/sova-si-fenec...ocaje-11233217

mcarling liked this post

Last edited by alwn; August 10th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
alwn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #6199
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Awesome, alwn, politicize the international thread too. Well done!
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #6200
Baiazid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1019

@alwn, it's not a question of who started the projects and it's not a question of who completes them. That's beside the scope of this thread.

The discussion was following an official recent statement, which announced the completion of 140 km of motorway in 2013. So the question was, considering that 17km were already opened in April, if it's realistic to have 127km of motorway more opened until the end of this year?

And considering the physical progress of the construction works and the fact that the EU financing is resumed since May this year, the answer is YES, it is realistic to have 127 km of new motorway this year, regardless if that fits or not your political sympathies.

Regarding the A3 section between Bucharest and Bucharest Ring Road, the 4.5 km between Popasului Street and Bucharest Ring Road will open this year, while the remaining 2 km inside the Bucharest urban area (1km motorway + 1km connecting boulevard) are planed for 2014. The works have already started to that section too.

As a personal note, I would avoid to glorify the project starter if his actions were the ones that blocked the financing of the same projects last year.

I do remind you - those are pure historical facts - that the EU financing of the transport sector was suspended in March 2012 for suspicion of fraud and procedural errors in tendering motorway construction between 2009 and 2011. This suspension resulted in a 25% penalty on all the ongoing projects. And due to the way that the EU financing works, the suspension blocked the cash-flow for all the motorway projects for over one year, till May 2013. And that's the very obvious reason why all the construction projects slowed down till now. It is equally obvious that now all the construction projects and tenders have resumed, following the EU financing resuming this year.

Last edited by Baiazid; August 10th, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
Baiazid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania