daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #6221
Baiazid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
so based on what you guys show/write I can clarify year 2015 would be a serious breakthrough. although 2014 would be pleasant enough
Yes. The motorway construction pickep up speed in 2010-2011 and the serious breakthrough was supposed to happen in April 2013. But the complete suspension of the EU financing for transport between March 2012 and June 2013 and the unforeseen unstable soil problems between Cristian and Apoldu de Jos were major setbacks, which in turn led to delays.

But even in 2014-2015 it would be great! If one would've asked most of the Romanians in 2009-2010 when will the A1 be complete between Sibiu and Nadlac, definitely the most common answer would have been "2020 - 2030. Anyway, not before 2020!". I had absolutely the same opinion.

Quote:
what would be the cost of Selimbar- Pitesti section ? I suspect huge expenses ...
According to the study from 2007, when the construction costs were the highest ever, the cost was estimated at 3 bln. EUR. For that matter, the construction is included and approved already among the projects to be financed 85% by EU between 2014 - 2020. The tender will start in 2014 and it is supposed to be awarded by the Autumn of the same year. While the construction should start earliest at the end of 2014 and be completed between 2016 - 2017.

That will be another major breakthrough in several aspects: first motorway crossing across the mountains and first connection of Bucharest with the EU motorway network.
Baiazid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #6222
and802

Likes (Received): 55

you are right,

soon (2014) A1 route will become a Romanian backbone.
I am afraid for that reasons efforts originally planned for A3 will be transferred onto further development of A1 streches like the A1 mountain project (Selimbar- Pitesti)

2017 is - in my eyes - too optimistic. I would assume 2019 as a year Bucuresti reaches EU motorway network. very expensive project + mountanious aera make it very sensible for delays.

whatever, looks like the highest time to visit Romania again
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #6223
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12012

A3 (Comarnic-Brasov) won't be funded from EU sources, but from private sources (concession), so it will not be affected by Sibiu-Pitesti section of A1 - unless the parallel construction may affect future AADT on A3 and thus feasibility of this motorway section. However, this should notn be the case, seeing how investors reacted so far to the tender for its construction.

In fact, Comarnic-Brasov will be contracted earlier (this year hopefully) and probably will be constructed earlier than Sibiu-Pitesti.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #6224
Baiazid
BANNED

A1 will definitely be the backbone.

A3 however goes on as well. The mountain crossing - 55 km between Comarnic and Brasov - is currently being tendered as PPP (Public - Private Partnership). The most likely winner will be the consortium Vinci (France), Strabag (Austria) and Aktor (Greece). The construction will be privately funded by the winning consortium and it is estimated at about 1.5 bln. EUR. The official estimation is that the contract will be signed in September 2013. It should take about 3-4 years to complete, but previously Vinci stated that they can build it within 2 years. Actually they are interested in building it as fast as they can, since they only collect money after the motorway opens.

However, it is true that Vinci was awarded the same PPP contract 2 times before! At first in 2004, but that was an election year and following the political change, the contract was terminated in 2005, before the construction started. Then the contract was again awarded to Vinci in 2009, again as PPP. But in 2010 the contract was terminated, when Vinci claimed "failing to finance the project". Rumors said different, but those were only rumors. Hopefully the third time will be lucky.

If so, we could have A3 Comarnic - Brasov also in 2017-2018.
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #6225
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

AFAIK, Comarnic-Brasov was tendered as a concession and not as PPP. This is important, because it has different legal implications. The PPP law is currently under amendments, while concessions are made under the public procurement law.
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #6226
Baiazid
BANNED

Actually it is PPP. The PPP law was completely re-written. It was a very long procedure which involve consultancy with various international organisms and agencies, specialized in PPP, as well as negotiations with EU, to have the new law completely EU compliant.

The law will be promoted as Government Ordinance during this month and then all the announced PPP contracts will be governed by this new law. That is why signing the contracts is planed for September.
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #6227
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

They started the tender procedure as concession, how can they sign them as PPP?!
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #6228
Baiazid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
They started the tender procedure as concession, how can they sign them as PPP?!
Well, it's not a tender. It's a selection procedure based on the competitive dialog...
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #6229
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

The procedure was started as a concession under OUG 34/2006 (public procurement law). The CNADNR publication of the procedure mentions that the whole procedure follows OUG 34/2006, so I doubt there will be a contract under the PPP law.
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #6230
and802

Likes (Received): 55

first of all I am not an expert, just an enthusiast, so my knowledge is far from what experts expect ...

but I would imagine that:
finance insitution willing to finance A3 would see a map of Romania and recognize A1 route as a competitor. soon (in short period of time) a backbone of Romania.
will they find - in time of crisis - internal strenght to collect suitable funds ?

whether it is a ppp projects or consession one I do not think it matters.
my reasons:
a) there were (as you wrote) two attepmts and the idea failed. of course conditions could have been not well managed, but in time of crisis finding a sponsor with 1,5 bln euro in a pocket is a real challange
b)a short stretch of motorway which ends in the middle of nowhere. well, not "nowhere", actaully just to serve People of Kronstadt
c)linking regions like Moldavia/Bukovina with Bucuresti/Black Sea Coast was not the key factor for any government. these are not the best-developed regions of Romania, so people there could wait ... (I am very sorry for that). what is more people there need a fast connection with EU not with capital/black sea

well, my own country-man logic says: this is very risky business case.
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #6231
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

A1 is only apparently a competitor of A3, at least the section now under contracting procedures, meaning Comarnic-Brasov. The AADT between Bucharest and Brasov is the only one warranting a private investment project ATM in Romania. Baiazid may confirm. So, the business case is not affected by A1 completion. This is why we saw interest from investors (and confirmations from banks), besides the fact that there wil be availability payments from the RO Gov, should that be the case.

Moldova has a backbone road, and a good one - DN2. This will need though to be doubled by a motorway in the future, and the procedures for the Bacau motorway by-pass which are coming to a conclusion are a first step in that direction.
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #6232
Baiazid
BANNED

Quote:
The procedure was started as a concession under OUG 34/2006 (public procurement law). The CNADNR publication of the procedure mentions that the whole procedure follows OUG 34/2006, so I doubt there will be a contract under the PPP law.
It's a complex discussion. Of course they couldn't have started a procedure on a "future" law. While the "old" law still in force, Law 178/2010, is practically unusable for tons of reasons. So they had to start somehow before the new law is enacted.

I can assure you that the political intention of the Government is to have Comarnic - Brasov, Pitesti - Craiova and Bucharest South Motorway Ring as PPP, not as concessions.

How will they do the change? We'll see.
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #6233
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

That should be interesting indeed.
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #6234
amst

Likes (Received): 967

Baiazid, for 2014 we shall see only 46km of Nadlac - Arad + remaining km on lot 3 Sibiu - Orastie.. Compared to this year, it will be quite dull Considering this fall we will see openings every month i anticipate the most entertaining and exciting period for this RO forum

A3 should continue at least from Cluj to Oradea. If only that 8km section to Nadaselu would have been started and also Suplacu de Barcau - Bors would continue in the near future!

I agree with LeClerk! We must begin formalities soon for Ploiesti - Buzau -> Moldova and souther ring of Bucharest. Those are crucial!

Le Clerk liked this post
amst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #6235
Baiazid
BANNED

Quote:
but I would imagine that:
finance insitution willing to finance A3 would see a map of Romania and recognize A1 route as a competitor. soon (in short period of time) a backbone of Romania.
The two crossings, A1 and A3 have very different traffic, not competing at all with eachother.

A1 has a dominant component of mass tranzit traffic from Southern Romania (includin Constanta), Bulgaria and Turkey towards Transylvania and the border crossing at Nadlac.

A3 has local transit between Bucharest and East of Transylvania, as well as a heavy touristic component, which chugs the crossing every week-end, summer, winter, holiday etc. The current National Road 1 which is crossing the Prahova Valley has the highest daily average traffic in Romania, expected to reach 45.000 vehicles per day by 2030. And that without the mass transit traffic which is expected to stick with A1.

Quote:
a) there were (as you wrote) two attepmts and the idea failed. of course conditions could have been not well managed, but in time of crisis finding a sponsor with 1,5 bln euro in a pocket is a real challange
Well, the most pressure for thia motorway section comes from the two European giants Vinci and Strabag. They want to build this motorway and they seem to know where to get the money from. No wonder, if you consider the the cumulated turnover of the consortium is over 60 bln. EUR / year and that each of the two "giants" is tight connected with big banks, such as Societe Generale and Reiffeissen Bank. So finding 1.5 bln. EUR doesn't look that much of a challange for them.

Strabag was also awarded a section of A3 motorway back in 2004 (Bucuresti - Ploiesti). But it the contracts signed in 2004 failed on one hand for political reasons - the contract awarded to Strabag in 2004 was terminated and then awarded to some Romanian constructors well tight to the new Government at that time - but also because by that time the PPP and the expropriation laws were completely unpractical.

Now the "stars are lined up". If the political decision does not change, this time it can't fail.
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #6236
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Interesting, the first two investments in the industrial park Calafat, following the opening of the bridge:

1. a large service center for heavy duty trucks
2. a wood processing plant, with wood imported from Bulgarian suppliers

Any news from Vidin?
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #6237
alwn

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
Motorway openings in Romania in 2013:
A. OPENED
1. A1 Simeria - Orastie, opened on 30.05.2013, 19.5 km

B. OFFICIAL OPENING DATES
2. A1 Dumbrava - Sanovita, 28.08.2013, 27.5 km
3. A1 Orastie - Sebes Vest, 01.09.2013, 22 km
4. A1 Lancram - Sebes Est, 01.09.2013, 6.5 km

C. OFFICIAL ESTIMATES (opening date to be announced)
5. A3 Bucharest(Popasului) - Bucharest Ring Road, October 2013, 4.5km
6. A1 Sebes Vest - Lancram, November 2013, 2.5km
7. A6 Lugoj - Belint, November 2013, 10.5 km
8. A1 Sebes Est - Apoldu de Jos, December 2013, 24 km
9. A1 Saliste - Sibiu Vest, December 2013, 16 km

D. OFFICIAL ESTIMATE - UNCERTAIN
10. A1 Apoldu de Jos - Saliste, December 2013 / April 2014 ?, 9.5 km

TOTAL 2013: 142.5 km, out of which 9.5 km could be postponed for 2014.
Great info Baiazid!
From my calculation the result by the end 2013: 690,5 in use (including Apoldu- Saliste) ; any forecast about the new section to be started by the end of the year?
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #6238
alwn

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
Strabag was also awarded a section of A3 motorway back in 2004 (Bucuresti - Ploiesti). But it the contracts signed in 2004 failed on one hand for political reasons - the contract awarded to Strabag in 2004 was terminated and then awarded to some Romanian constructors well tight to the new Government at that time - but also because by that time the PPP and the expropriation laws were completely unpractical.
Now the "stars are lined up". If the political decision does not change, this time it can't fail.
meaning Tehnostrade SRL – Spedition UMB SRL (Umbrarescu) ?

Well, they just have been awarded with lot 4 of Lugoj- Deva, followed by the same unlucky Strabag who btw competed useless for all 3 lots tendered on Lugoj- Deva.
another big looser of Deva- Lugoj, lot 4: Astaldi SpA – Max Boegl Romania SRL

But who the hell is Teloxim, the winner of lot 3?
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #6239
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2080

Quote:
Because peope do not normally work on Sunday.
It shows they are pushing to complete that section this year. In fact, according to Baiazid, it will open in Oct:
I thought this is common eastwards of Germany. I saw roadworks (repair) in Czech Republic some weeks ago and also on the A1.ro one week ago on Sundays. Shops are also opened there on Sundays.

Nevertheless they are also working on Sundays I cannot believe that the A1 Orastie-Sibiu will be finished in mostly until December 2013. There is still a lot to do - I guess too much for 4 month. But I am not a native expert/observer .
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #6240
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amst View Post
Baiazid, for 2014 we shall see only 46km of Nadlac - Arad + remaining km on lot 3 Sibiu - Orastie.. Compared to this year, it will be quite dull Considering this fall we will see openings every month i anticipate the most entertaining and exciting period for this RO forum

A3 should continue at least from Cluj to Oradea. If only that 8km section to Nadaselu would have been started and also Suplacu de Barcau - Bors would continue in the near future!

I agree with LeClerk! We must begin formalities soon for Ploiesti - Buzau -> Moldova and souther ring of Bucharest. Those are crucial!
We are getting close to finishing an important benchmark - A1 - a 500 km motorway. I am saying this considering Pitesti-Sibiu, which is the most important project for 2014-2020 EU budget, and will be completed in that period, maybe earlier. Pitesti-Sibiu lots (120 km) should be signed next year at latest.

We have EU funds for Sebes-Turda (70 km), the A1-A3 connection. This should be completed by 2015 too, from EU funding. I hope they manage to do it.

The question now should be: what next? We should go past A1.

Clearly, we need to make the connection between A1 and A2 with A0, south for now (45 km). Hopefully, we'll have a concession contract signed for that this year, and the lot completed by 2015-2016.

We need to build Comarnic-Brasov (55 km). This is the most important motorway section in Romania, considering the traffic and the economic weight of the route. This concession is planned for signing this fall, and it better get signed so that it could be completed by 2015-2016.

Further than that, we should connect SW Romania (Oltenia) to the A1 backbone through Craiova-Pitesti motorway (110 km), planned for signing this fall.

Also, we should start building in east Romania with Bacau by-pass signing (31 km) this fall. And, hopefully, next year, the first contracts on A5 Dumbrava-Focsani (133 km) will be signed. These are supported by EU funding.

This is the least we should do this year and the coming one. Then we'll be really capable of moving forward with motorway construction. There is a lot of work to be done.

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 13th, 2013 at 12:55 AM.

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania