daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #6421
suvi genije

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samply View Post
I am up to date and all I see is a lot of talk, again I ask you at what stage are we with the Targu Mures-Iasi motorway?
Most of the motorways on that map none of you can give me the slightest idea of when or if they are going to get built.
For that matter nobody knows when even the A1 will be open for traffic between Sibiu and Ploiesti!
Between Sibiu and Ploesti will be open one day after the motorway across Bering strait
You've mixed Ploesti and Pitesti
suvi genije no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #6422
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Problem I see explaining in anything to Brussels is how two motorways to Hungary will not cannibalise each other. The EU had a long look at some projects in Poland/German and Italy/Greece from the last funding window. The key finding is this.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_ECA-13-22_en.htm

Quote:
The ECA found that insufficient attention was paid to ensuring cost-effectiveness of the projects: (a) Most of the audited projects were affected by inaccurate traffic forecasts. Only four out of 19 projects for which sufficient information was available carried volumes of traffic which were in line with forecasts. (b) The type of road chosen was not best suited to the traffic it carried: motorways, costing much more than express roads (the average total cost per km is around 11 million euro for motorways and 6,2 million euro, i.e. 43 % cheaper, for express roads), were the preferred option of construction, even for sections where express roads could have solved the traffic needs.
Full Report Here.

http://eca.europa.eu/portal/pls/port...1/22810809.PDF

The Germans were worst, not a single road audited came in with forecast traffic and one came in at 47% of forecast. The Greeks performed very well ( and brilliantly adjusted for their economy) at traffic forecasts. None of the German projects were mountain sections, unlike Spain and Greece.

The finding that jumps out of the report is but there were not too many mountain expressways,

Motorway €11m a km and Express Road (most dual there may be a s2 in there) €6m a km.

In some cases it may be smarter to build an S2 mountain section with climbing lanes for overtaking purposes and with double width bridge foundations and upgrade by adding the other 2 lanes/second bores and extra bridge deck later when traffic increases. Easy to justify S2 offline.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #6423
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12044

Are you by any chance hinting at the fact that A1, A3 and future A6 (CIV south) may run in parallel?!
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #6424
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Chinese companies are welcome to bid in European projects auction
BUSINESS | NINEOCLOCK | SEPTEMBER 8TH, 2013 AT 9:00 PM

Minister Delegate for National Interest Infrastructure Project and Foreign Investments Dan Sova has invited the Chinese companies, on the occasion of his participation in the works of the Consultative Romanian-Chinese Committee in the area of transportation infrastructure, to take part in the auctions financed with European funds, according to a communiqué quoted by bursa.ro.

“(…) We find ourselves in a very auspicious moment that we have to exploit as we have a common interest that will bring benefits for both our countries and to everybody else. (…) I invite you to work together with the Romanian companies in the domains you are representing”, Sova said. The Consultative Committee is gathering for the first time.

According to the agenda of the discussions, Romania pledged to offer the Chinese side a list of priority projects in accordance with the National Plan of Development, until October 23. In the turn, the Chinese members of the Committee will assess in three months the projected submitted by Romania and will take a decision. Later on, the two sides will start concrete talks regarding the economic, financial and technical aspects of the respective projects.

Minister Sova met also with the representatives of China Dalian Holding, China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) and Huawei Corporation. The three companies are interested to develop major projects in road and rail infrastructure and IT&C and they asked for detailed information regarding the possibility of developing such projects in Romania.
Source
Old September 9th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #6425
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Sibiu-Orastie filmed by user Eurocopter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocopter View Post
Datorita problemelor tehnice avute, filmarea e x2 si fara HD, sorry.

Daca sare direct la final cand dati play, puneti inca odata sa mearga direct din secunda 2 sau oricare si ar trebui sa mearga.

MichiH liked this post
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #6426
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Chinese banks showing interest in funding projects worth more than 3 billion euros in Romania

Monday, September 9, 2013

Chinese banks are interesting in funding projects worth more than 3 billion euros in Romania, either by providing funds to Chinese companies developing projects in Romania, or by participating in the privatisation of Romanian companies, Romania's Department for Infrastructure Projects and Foreign Investments (DPIIS) reports in a press release.

Minister-delegate for Infrastructure Projects and Foreign Investments Dan-Coman Sova on Wednesday in Beijing met representatives of China's main financial and banking institutions, including China Investment Corporation (CIC), China Development Bank and China Exim Bank.

'Talks focused on two topics of major importance to Chinese financial institutions and the Romanian Government. The first regards the possibility of the banks funding Chinese companies wanting to develop projects in Romania in the absence of Government guarantees. The second topic was the possibility of starting off projects for accessing funds available as part of a facility extended by the Chinese Government. It is about a 10-billion-US-dollar credit line for cooperation projects in Eastern and Central Europe as well as an investment cooperation fund worth 500 million US dollars, counting on the participation of financial and banking institutions from China,' reads the release.

The Romanian delegation to Beijing headed by Sova is the first delegation form Eastern and Central Europe to meet leaders of China Investment Corporation (CIC), a corporation set up in 2007 to invest in long-term business. Most of its investment projects are carried out in the US and Western Europe.

As part of his meetings, Sova presented Romania's priority projects for the near future, including a bridge over the Danube in Braila; a portion of the Transylvania Motorway left unfinished; a water power station at Tarnita-Lapusesti that is directly linked to terminals 3 and 4 of Cernavoda, as well as the Pitesti-Craiova Motorway.

'Besides the possibility of Chinese companies using funds to develop projects in Romania, the CIC representatives voiced interest in the privatisation of Romanian companies. There are 11 Government-owned companies currently undergoing privatisation,' reads the DPIIS release.

On the other hand, China Development Bank asked the Romanian officials to come up with detailed presentations and financial estimates of Romania's priority investment projects and do so by November, so that the bank may look into them and start off funding procedures.

Romania's Minister-delegate for Infrastructure Projects and Foreign Investments Dan Sova is attending, September 2-7, the works in Beijing of the Romanian-Chinese Governmental Committee on Economic Cooperation.
Source
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #6427
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Are you by any chance hinting at the fact that A1, A3 and future A6 (CIV south) may run in parallel?!
Will run in parallel. Look at it from an EU point of view. they are 2 motorways from Budapest to Bucharest.

A motorway can take 50000 AADT before it gets 'congested', an Expressway gets congested around 30000 AADT and an S2 gets congested at 14000 or so ( same 'Level Of Service', IE constant speed most of the time)

So can you guarantee 70000 AADT Bucharest <> W/NW Romania and spread between the two motorways on the expensive Carpathian sections in the middle of the country. If not then consider 1 x Motorway and one x s2 for this funding period and with the option of adding the second bore/bridge deck later on to upgrade the S2 road if the Motorway+S2 are congested. It is impossible to upgrade an expressway grade twin tunnel to a motorway grade twin tunnel without spending a fortune. Much better to build an S2 that is wide enough for a single Motorway tube on a mountain section.

You are always up against the Polish example and the EU likes that as a template. A 120kph expressway (like a lot of the Polish roads) is as good as most Motorways in the EU, (see this photo of a Junction between 2 120kph expressways in eastern Poland). The Poles may call that an expressway but that is a Motorway to my mind.

In other words Poland is building Motorways but not calling them Motorways. Poland got twice as much EU money as any other country ( 2000-2013) and 5 times as much as Romania. They must be doing something right in Brussels.

You are also up against the Portugese example where after building 2 motorways from Lisbon to Porto they decided to build a third one. It was arguably this extra roadbuilding AFTER already building a great north south network that got Portugal into its current financial difficulty. Some of the inland Portugese motorways have AADT figures that only justify S2 at most.

Had Portugal stopped or slowed right down in 2004/5 they might not be in any EU/IMF program now.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #6428
amst

Likes (Received): 967

Poland has been and is building 2 motorways east - west.

Last edited by amst; September 9th, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
amst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #6429
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
According to builders, Orastie-Vintu (24 km) and Sebes motorway by-pass (9 km) will be opened on 1 September.
Wow. Reliable source!
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #6430
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

- Is the A4 motorway a priority for Romanian Government?
I think this motorway could boost the tourism in Romania and Bulgaria if the stretch between Constança and Varna is constructed. I read in Wikipedia that Constança bypass is finished.

- What of the new stretch is going to be constructed: south of north of Constança?

And my final question:

- When do you think Bucharest Ring Road upgrade to motorway is going to be finished?

Thank you in advance.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #6431
bogdymol
bogdymod

1st question: nope
2nd and 3rd questions: nobody knows
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #6432
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

One thing worth mentioning, the Bucharest RindRoad (DNCB) isn't going to be upgraded to a motorway, that's an entirely new construction farther away from the city. The south section of that motorway, A0south is in "comptitive discussion" with the Transport Ministry, and it is said that a builder should be selected by year end (after that, who knows). The project also comes with the concesion and task of maitaining A1 Bucharest-Pitesti and A2 Bucharest-Constanta, so it's a big contract.

The current ringroad was supposed to be upgraded to 2x2, but that project is pretty much dead, even though works started on rebuilding it last year . Only the north side has seen some actual results.

javimix19, bogdymol liked this post
medicu' de garda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #6433
alwn

Likes (Received): 85

[QUOTE=Samply;106898903]
Quote:
I am up to date and all I see is a lot of talk, again I ask you at what stage are we with the Targu Mures-Iasi motorway?
none. I don't expect to be started in the next 5-6 years at least.

Quote:
Most of the motorways on that map none of you can give me the slightest idea of when or if they are going to get built.
For that matter nobody knows when even the A1 will be open for traffic between Sibiu and Ploiesti!
A1 could be entirely complete around 2020- 2025, in the best scenario. Just look how the current gov is dealing with the motorway projects and what people are in charge.. Who the hell could have even the slightest clue about any motorway completion or start up?
We are not able even to upgrade the old ring at 2x2 how could I dream motorway ring?

Last edited by alwn; September 9th, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
alwn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #6434
Pascal20a

Likes (Received): 19

Why there so many delays of the A1???
Pascal20a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #6435
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Timisoara-Lugoj Lot1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorum View Post
A1 Sanovita si Balint...still nothing la Sanovita...

MichiH, gogo3o, the dogi liked this post
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #6436
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Likes (Received): 49

Javi, A4 is not a priority by the moment. It is already built in the Constanța Area as a distributor for A2.
At first it would be just the Constanța by-pass (ACC), but later they thought it could be integrated in an A4 Autostrada Litoral, which would link Constanța with Black Sea resorts and Bulgaria. To the south there is some info, but I don't think it will be built in the near or medium term. To the north (To Tulcea and/or Brăila) there are not plans or any intention at the moment, but a motorway or expressway is included in the Romania Corridors Masterplan, so if is built, it will be in a far far future.

javimix19 liked this post
albertocsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #6437
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Wow. Reliable source!
They were reliable previously. Bad luck this time.

MichiH liked this post
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #6438
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Likes (Received): 49

Le Clerk, why does A6 appears there? I though they didn't yet know its route or even if it were meant to be a motorway.

And... wasn't it starting in Pitești?

Last edited by albertocsc; September 9th, 2013 at 11:11 PM.
albertocsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #6439
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

Quote:
Timisoara-Lugoj Lot1:
For sure you meant A1 Lugoj-Deva lot1. Unless you found pictures of a motorway that was finished almost a year ago
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #6440
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Damn, I sometimes think smth and write smth else.

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania