daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #7281
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosman View Post
"A consortium comprising Vinci, Strabag and Aktor has been named preferred bidder by the Romanian Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure, represented by C.N.A.D.N.R. (Romanian National Company of Motorways and National Roads), for a 29-year PPP contract covering the Comarnic - Brașov section of the Bucharest – Brașov motorway in Romania. The project is expected to cost about €1.2 billion (US$1.6bn).
This is the second time that the project has been awarded to the Vinci consortium. It was previously awarded to the consortium in 2009 but did not make progress due to some financing conditions"
The statement above is true. Right now this project is under design stage, and starting from April or May the works should start on the construction site.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #7282
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12012

Quote:
Could you kindly advise that below information is a bold step for the project procurement or just a propaganda or political skills?
Thanks a lot.
"A consortium comprising Vinci, Strabag and Aktor has been named preferred bidder by the Romanian Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure, represented by C.N.A.D.N.R. (Romanian National Company of Motorways and National Roads), for a 29-year PPP contract covering the Comarnic - Brașov section of the Bucharest – Brașov motorway in Romania. The project is expected to cost about €1.2 billion (US$1.6bn).
This is the second time that the project has been awarded to the Vinci consortium. It was previously awarded to the consortium in 2009 but did not make progress due to some financing conditions"
The contract has been signed - the consortium is now doing the design , and works will start in April. Where's the quotation from?

PS: the difference from the previous tender is that the private financing for the project is now part of the deal (that is, the financing is secured) as opposed to previously.
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Last edited by Le Clerk; January 14th, 2014 at 11:11 AM.
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #7283
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
AADT in between Iasi and MD border
I know that we are looking at the same map but see different things. Frankly I don't see any RO-MD border traffic exceeding 1,5 thousand and that is looow.
RO-UA traffic looks a bit better with 2 thousand (those 4 thousand near Vicovu the Jos may be due to fact that section to border wasn't counted).
For comparison RO-HU border side crossings count for 2,5 thousand while major crossings feature traffic from 7 to 10 thousand.
I do not have figures for RO-BG bridges but i assume that traffic there is around 3 thousand while Vama Veche counts for something like 6 thousand.
Taking that in mind non of international corridors deserves for full motorway but they are build more due to local traffic.

Quote:
If you drive enough through Romania, you'll start noticing that the density of Russian, Ukrainian and Moldovan trucks on the former CIX (DN2 and DN21) is bigger than the Turkish trucks on the former CIV (A1).
But in the same time on A1 you mostly see "western" registrations. Absence of Turkish trucks results more in fact that Bsphorus road connections are week and most of cargo must be transshipped through ferries onto European side or is shipped into Bulgaria. In both cases shipment is than taken over mostly by European trucks. But this doesn't change fact that Turkish products storm European markets. Turkish rugs have stable position on western markets, around 90% of dishwashers is made in Turkey, while Renault Thalia and Mercedes Conecto show other end of product chain. Fact that most of this traffic is going through Serbia is a result of present infrastructure layout although Serbia already fears that it may lose its position after A6 and similar connection in Bulgaria will be completed.

Quote:
The question is what Romania needs to finance in terms of former CIV during 2014-2020: A6 or Sibiu-Pitesti, because they compete with each other (for more or less the same traffic), and are both financeable by the EU. Should we "close" A1 by building Sibiu-Pitesti or should we build A6?! ... BTW: since you mentioned Ford, in effect both Ford and Dacia have been publicaly demanding from the Government to build Sibiu-Pitesti by 2020.
Le Clerk I don't think that we must here decide about anything especially as according to Your earlier posts present government already decided that in desperate attempts to make Comarnic-Brasov golden for PPP they decided to make A1/A3 hybrid and slash Sibiu Pitesti in favor of A6. And frankly as a potential user of both those roads I can accept hybrid A1/A3 as well as new A6 - just decide on one solution and make it happened.
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #7284
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

I do not want to debate further this matter. What I am saying about the east-west motorway is smth started with Bacau by-pass motorway award (now disputed though in court, but will be solved eventually), and the Brasov-Bacau motorway which is also a hot topic, and will probably happen by 2020. This reflects the current traffic needs in the region.

As to the question of A6 vs Pitesti-Sibiu, and whether they'll become U/C at the same time, or one after the other, that is an important question because they are competing and very expensive projects, and indeed it is not for us to determine, but for the Romanian Government and for the EU maybe. In this regard, what we know is that the Ro Gov has announced publically it will retender the FS for Pitesti-Sibiu this year, in order to obtain lower construction costs from EUR 3 billion in the earlier FS. Also, based on public statement, this motorway will be started in 2017, with the intention to be completed by 2020 (it's maybe optimistic, but it's still 4 years of construction time).

In what concerns A6, we have a small section of it already opened in late last year (Lugoj by-pass). However, there is no further announcement about it, not even about the FS because that motorway doesn't even have a FS available. We'll see how things evolve there, because it is an important project and indeed an alternative for A1 for Bucharest too.

PS: There were no desperate attempts for Comarnic-Brasov. I repeat what I said before: the investor has 0 (zero) risk because revenues are not going to be from the traffic according to the contract, but from fixed instalments from the state. So even with zero traffic, the consortium will be 100% financially covered in terms of revenues. The traffic and fees will be managed by the Gov. The same will hapen with the upcoming concessions. So the Romanian Gov will be in the position soon to pay bank installments to such projects, as agreed with the financing banks. And I think it is better this way, that is that the Gov will decide the motorway tolls, and the revenues it gets from such tolling.

Last edited by Le Clerk; January 14th, 2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #7285
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
There were no desperate attempts for Comarnic-Brasov. I repeat what I said before: the investor has 0 (zero) risk because revenues are not going to be from the traffic according to the contract, but from fixed instalments from the state. So even with zero traffic, the consortium will be 100% financially covered in terms of revenues.
I completely do not know Romanian language thus I do not know how PPPs will be financed. Only "official" statements regarding Brasov - Comarnic were that this section will be paid in some other way than regular motorways thus this section should be tolled and operated for private investor risk. In such case PPP has sense but letting private company build motorway and operate it without any risk is completely without sense. This may lead to repeating of situation which already hit A3 in the past. Additionally such scheme would case possibility of EU co-financing and basically all such PPPs in long term are more expensive than doing it alone. Just wait and see or try to repeat what happenned with earlier deals for A3 or Ramnicu Valcea - Valcele railway. Those two mistakes should put at least yellow lamp on any new PPP deals... .
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #7286
cove_adrian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
User ACD22 sent me on PM a map with the future motorway numbering in Romania:

A0: Bucharest bypass
A1: Bucharest - Pitesti - Sibiu - Deva - Timisoara - Arad - Nadlac - HU
A2: Bucuresti - Constanta
A3: Bucharest - Ploiesti - Brasov - Tg. Mures - Cluj - Zalau - Oradea - Bors - HU
A4: BG - Vama Veche - Centura Constanta - Tulcea - Braila
A5: Bucharest - Giurgiu - BG
A6: Lugoj - Dr.Tr. Severin - (Calafat) - Craiova - Alexandria - Bucharest
A7: Ploiesti - Buzau - Focsani - Bacau - Suceava - Siret - UA
A8: Tg. Mures - Iasi - Ungheni - MD
A9: Timisoara - Stamora Moravita - SRB
A10: Sebes - Turda
A11: Arad - Oradea
A12: Craiova - Pitesti
A13: Sibiu - Brasov - Bacau
A14: Buzau - Braila - Galati
A15: Suplacu de Barcau - Satu Mare
Hm...what's the source of this image/document? I see that former Pan European Corridor IX route(section Tisita-Tecuci-Barlad-Crasna-Husi-Albita) is missed. How to reach Chisinau/Tighina/Tiraspol using the fastest, easiest and easy consumption route through the biggest border point from eastern part of Romania (Albita customs) from Bucharest if not having/building a highway?
Even now with the actual national road it is the most used route from south, central Romania in order to reach eastern border/Moldova/Chisinau.

Does anyone asked what will happen with the traffic from Campia Turzii/Tg. Mures to Iasi-Ungheni which heads to Chisinau and uses Ungheni customs? It is known that Ungheni-Calarasi-Chisinau is only a Republic Road (as a county road in Romania) with bumps and bad road material? Ask a truck man or lorry driver why it uses the section Iasi-Albita instead of heading directly to Sculeni! Because the best road in Moldova is M1 Leuseni-Chisinau and the biggest custom is Leuseni neighboring Albita even it uses a minor detour.

Why there isn't any highway specified through Barlad Valley?
In this time, Romania can afford a highway section to Alexandria or a tourist highway Tulcea-Constanta with inconstant traffic or only some months in the summer?
As a particular point I really don't see what's the use of building a parallel highway to the south of Romania linking Bucuresti-Craiova when there is a highway connection through Bucuresti-Pitesti-Slatina-Craiova (with future highway Pitesti-Craiova builded by PPP)?

I think this map/study should be updated or corrected!

Last edited by cove_adrian; January 14th, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
cove_adrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #7287
bogdymol
bogdymod

You, as many other forum users, didn't understand this map's purpose. This map only shows the future motorway numbering in Romania.

Exact route for each motorway and the opening dates are still unknown.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #7288
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P View Post
I completely do not know Romanian language thus I do not know how PPPs will be financed. Only "official" statements regarding Brasov - Comarnic were that this section will be paid in some other way than regular motorways thus this section should be tolled and operated for private investor risk. In such case PPP has sense but letting private company build motorway and operate it without any risk is completely without sense. This may lead to repeating of situation which already hit A3 in the past. Additionally such scheme would case possibility of EU co-financing and basically all such PPPs in long term are more expensive than doing it alone. Just wait and see or try to repeat what happenned with earlier deals for A3 or Ramnicu Valcea - Valcele railway. Those two mistakes should put at least yellow lamp on any new PPP deals... .
We have seen the tender docs, and the investor will bear no financial risk in terms of payment of the financing loans. It is true the investor will still bear the risk of building the project according to the Romanian and EU standards and delivering it "turn-key" to the Romanian Government after the construction, including the risk that the construction works will be more complex than expected. However, once the consortium delivers the project, the state will bear the risk for the repayment of the loan. The cost of the loan is low given the consortium members. I think this is not a mistake, and in any case it is a much better deal than in 2008, which led in the end for the contract to fail for lack of financing.

The risk that this project may face is a poor concession contract - but we hope they learned their lesson already, and serious problems with landslides or other soil problems, which havocked already the Orastie-Sibiu motorway. I think there are high chances that these cannot be avoided unfortunatelly.
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #7289
prosman

Likes (Received): 3

Could you kindly advise the project financing/funding structure. Given that the government will be responsible for paying the cost to the private parties (availability payment) but I wonder where is its source of funds.
Thanks,

Quote:
The contract has been signed - the consortium is now doing the design , and works will start in April. Where's the quotation from?

PS: the difference from the previous tender is that the private financing for the project is now part of the deal (that is, the financing is secured) as opposed to previously.
prosman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #7290
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Institutional banks such as EBRD, WB and IFC are part of the financing consortium.

BTW: the transport minister has stated today that Romania will open 90 km of motorway this year, there will be 465 km U/C this year

Sibiu-Brasov tendered this year,

A0 south started this year,

and Craiova-Pitesti as well,

Sibiu-Pitesti is going ahead, starting in 2016, and going to be ready by 2021,

Comarnic-Brasov works starting in April, completion in 2016, 2017 latest,

Iasi-Tg Mures (east-west motorway) will be completed by 2020, with the following sections to be financed from the EU funds: Md border/Ungheni-Tg Neamt, and Campia Turzii-Tg Mures (130 km in total),

Nadlac-Arad LOT1 is U/C, LOT 2 is upcoming

Nothing on Brasov-Bacau and A6. At least for this year.

http://www.digi24.ro/Stiri/Digi24/Ac...tinua+de+la+Si

prosman liked this post

Last edited by Le Clerk; January 15th, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #7291
timeandspace

idea

whenever possible please provide sources /links for your information, no matter the language of the copy/content. this increases the quality of the information.

don't just allude to documents u have seen. indicate them.
timeandspace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:37 AM   #7292
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Done !
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #7293
timeandspace

Quote:
We have seen the tender docs,

thanks!

above, are those the CNADNR pages that frunzaverde referenced before, in the Romanian section on A3?
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #7294
cove_adrian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
You, as many other forum users, didn't understand this map's purpose. This map only shows the future motorway numbering in Romania.

Exact route for each motorway and the opening dates are still unknown.
I think I understand right the purpose of the current map. The title says right and clear : Reteaua de autostrazi in Romania. In english - Highway network in Romania.
The drawing/the map shows the future highway network and the numbering of it.
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #7295
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeandspace View Post
thanks!

above, are those the CNADNR pages that frunzaverde referenced before, in the Romanian section on A3?
Yes.
Old January 16th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #7296
prosman

Likes (Received): 3

Please advise if Bucharest – Brașov motorway achieves financial close. Usually it takes soonest 3 ~ 6 months to achieve it and that's the final evidence for the real project.
thanks alot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeandspace View Post
thanks!

prosman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 04:18 AM   #7297
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2199

Quote:
Please advise if Bucharest – Brașov motorway achieves financial close. Usually it takes soonest 3 ~ 6 months to achieve it and that's the final evidence for the real project.
No. The final evidence is construction equipment onsite, especially when it comes to signed PPP contracts. This is a general European principle, nothing to do with Romania in particular.

prosman liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #7298
timeandspace

i don't master the subtle technicalities, but i understand this wil be more of a concession project as opposed to a PPP, but perhaps the former is a sub-type of the latter.

basically it won't be done under Ro PPP law, since the law is still being developed. ( information/analysis i learned from the relevant Romanian section on here) h/t frunzaverde

in fact meetings for ironing out the last details of the project are going on at high levels these days ( media report that i can't indicate right now, also Ro forum section A3 or Motorways)

prosman liked this post
Old January 16th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #7299
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Romania’s Comarnic-Brasov motorway to be completed in 2017, says PM
January 16, 2014

Buildings works on the Comarnic-Brasov motorway are set to start on April 20, and should be completed by 2017, said Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta.

The Vistrada Nord consortium, comprising France’s Vinci, Austria’s Strabag and Greece’s Aktor, will build the 53 kilometer motorway and another 7 kilometers of linking roads. The project runs a cost of EUR 1.8 billion, accounting for roughly 28 million per kilometer, according to PM Ponta.

The motorway will pierce through the Carpathian mountains and should significantly cut down travel times between Bucharest and Brasov, and in the same time ease traffic on the National Road 1 (DN1), linking Bucharest to northwestern Romania.

“At present negotiations are underway with banks to finance the projects. Normally, by April 20 we should sign the contract and inaugurate the building site from Comarnic (e.n. town in Prahova County) and from Cristian (e.n. locality in Brasov County),” said the PM on Thursday, quoted by Agerpres newswire.

The consortium has inked today a memorandum with the government on the construction of the motorway, under a concession system.
http://business-review.eu/sidebar-fe...-2017-says-pm/

BTW: Deutsche Bank and Erste Bank are among the leading members of the financing consortium.

prosman liked this post
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #7300
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Galati city has published a tender announcement for the FS concerning a double tunnel crossing the Danube bed. Each tunnel will have 1.7 km in lenght, and will have 2 lanes. This means there will be a 2x2 tunnel, which is sufficient to connect a motorway. The estimated cost for the tunnels will be EUR 180 m, as opposed to EUR 300 for a bridge.

http://www.economica.net/planul-mamu...uro_71111.html

If built, the tunnel will open a new route in between Constanta port and SE Europe, including CIS states.

With red the tunnels, and with blue the proposed motorway connections:

Last edited by Le Clerk; January 17th, 2014 at 09:10 AM.

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania