daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #7321
bogdymol
bogdymod

DN1 București - Ploiești

trafictube.ro
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Le Clerk liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #7322
salw

Likes (Received): 0

mersi
salw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #7323
bogdymol
bogdymod

A1 Motorway between Bucharest and Pitești, 3 days ago:

mediafax.ro
Old January 30th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #7324
bogdymol
bogdymod

Bucharest, today:

Yes, there are cars parked there

All pictures from cabral.ro.

Le Clerk, crimio liked this post
Old January 30th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #7325
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

While it looks excessive, it's really only about 20 - 30 cm, the rest is shoveled snow.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #7326
bogdymol
bogdymod

39 cm to be more exact.

http://www.inmh.ro/images/clima/SZA_orar_interpolat.png
Old January 30th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #7327
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Snow usually compacts pretty quickly.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #7328
threo2k

Likes (Received): 23

but why does it snow so much in Romania? in my home country kosovo we dont have any snow here.. and its not far away from romania either..strange..
threo2k está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #7329
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

One word: Crivăț

Actually, three more words: temperate-continental climate

Last edited by medicu' de garda; January 30th, 2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo
medicu' de garda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #7330
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicu' de garda View Post
Actually, three more works:
Yeah, we keep working hard at it .
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #7331
adeiush

Likes (Received): 60

adeiush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #7332
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

IMO, it's because of Bucharest being in an open plain where the wind blows the snow around and the it eventually piles up in the city where it meets an obstacle. The annual quantity of rainfalls in Bulgaria generally decreases from west to east and is lowest in northeastern Bulgaria. I guess the same can be said about Romanian Lower Danubian plain. Unsurprisingly, the situation in northeastern Bulgaria now is quite similar to the situation that can be seen in the pictures above.
Comparing Moesia with Kosovo, I would guess that the latter has greater average annual quantity of rainfall but the hilly terrain prevents winds from creating snowdrifts.

I have a question. Are snowfences used in Romania and, if yes, do you have concerned citizens that are eager to recycle them or convert them into energy benefits?

Last edited by PhirgataZFs1694; January 31st, 2014 at 06:21 PM.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 07:54 AM   #7333
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhirgataZFs1694 View Post
IMO, it's because of Bucharest being in an open plain where the wind blows the snow around and the it eventually piles up in the city where it meets an obstacle. The annual quantity of rainfalls in Bulgaria generally decreases from west to east and is lowest in northeastern Bulgaria. I guess the same can be said about Romanian Lower Danubian plain. Unsurprisingly, the situation in northeastern Bulgaria now is quite similar to the situation that can be seen in the pictures above.
Comparing Moesia with Kosovo, I would guess that the latter has greater average annual quantity of rainfall but the hilly terrain prevents winds from creating snowdrifts.
It's indeed the fact that Bucharest is in the middle of a large plain, and snow piles up due to strong winds, but it's also the fact that we had this year 2x long blizzard periods (of 48 h and 24 h respectivelly, only one week from each other). This caused one of the biggest fall of snow in quite a few years - and the first red code for snow fall so far.

Quote:
I have a question. Are snowfences used in Romania and, if yes, do you have concerned citizens that are eager to recycle them or convert them into energy benefits?
II know there are snow fences for national roads in SE Romania, where the winds are very powerful in the winter, and I was asking myself too why don't they use them for motorways as well?!
Castles and Mansions in Romania

PhirgataZFs1694 liked this post
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 10:07 AM   #7334
Bzyq_74

Likes (Received): 253

Municipal services have to export the snow outside the city.
In Poland in January 2006 was more than 50cm of snow in the cities and only the removal of snow outside the city allowed for the operation of the transport.
Road-salt did not help because the temperature was around -15 / -20 degrees Celsius
Bzyq_74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:19 AM   #7335
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

Snow is rarely, if ever, removed from the streets and taken out of the city. It is normally just plowed out of the way to the sides, where it engulfs parked cars, bus stops and pedestrian crossings, that have to be cleared by someone else's initiative. Then the snow just stays there until it melts. Snowfall is very poorly managed in this city .
This year, it seems that most car owners just gave up on trying to dig out their cars, so now we have hundreds of parked cars trapped on what used to be the first lane on most boulevards. In my neighbourhood, buses have to stop on the second lane of roads, blocking all traffic behind them untill they leave (which takes a long time, because of poor frequencies). Luckilly, traffic is a lot lighter, so driving around the city is decent, unless any precipitation starts.

When i mentioned the Crivăț, I meant the local fast wind that tears through the southern plains each winter, coming from Moldova towards Oltenia. This stupid wind is pretty strong and usually brings cold air with it from the russian plains. This makes any snowfall, no matter how light, a lot harder to manage, because it blows the snow continuously across the landscape, building up large piles of snow in some areas, so clearing the road is impossible until precipitation stops.

As for snowfences, AFAIK in the last few years, we practically had NO defences, because most of the screens were stolen, and many trees alongisde roads had been cleared already by the CNADNR, having been deemed too dangerous. In 2012 we had ~40 national roads blocked for days (some in Moldova for almost 2 weeks), and whole comunities isolated because of this situation. This year I know authorities worked to install some snowscreens alongside important roads, also some shrubs (I dunno if the term energetic willow sounds right in English...). So, in theory we are better prepared this year, as long as those defences aren't stolen, yet again

Richard_P, PhirgataZFs1694 liked this post
medicu' de garda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:46 PM   #7336
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I wasn't aware inland Romania is so snowy. There hasn't been any snow whatsoever this year in Basel (unusual).
Sunfuns está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 12:30 AM   #7337
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I wasn't aware inland Romania is so snowy. There hasn't been any snow whatsoever this year in Basel (unusual).
The Atlantic ocean is the main source of moisture.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 01:15 AM   #7338
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

I live in Canada so unlike the Dutchman I can still laugh

Last year we had 48 cm within about 12-18 hours. Driving on the motorways, left lane was blocked of snow and people had abandoned cars in the snow banks on the shoulder. I couldn't pass with my car on my street as the snow was higher than the bumper. I parked on a recently plowed road nearby and walked to my house, going up my steps I had snow to my waist, and I'm 1,85m tall It's surprisingly hard to walk in that...

Just to get my car back onto my driveway, I had to wait for the plow to come, then I dug and dug with my big shovel, then plow came again, so swore, and went with shovel some more, then finally was able to walk back and get my car... (I arrived home 1430 and finally got car parked at 2230) now I have snow blower machine, with tracks and large engine. I call it my mini-T-72

Le Clerk, AlexisMD liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 02:05 PM   #7339
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhirgataZFs1694 View Post
The Atlantic ocean is the main source of moisture.
Atlantic ocean? Isn't that a bit too far from you? I'd think your weather patterns are more affected by the Black sea and Russian planes to the east of it.
Sunfuns está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:06 PM   #7340
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2080

Romania has almost the same wheater like Germany/Austria/Switzland - with a delay of 2-3 days.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania