daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:23 AM   #7681
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P View Post
My post number 666 but thanks to I'll remain

In searching what bothered Me on Romania motorways I've found cross section of motorway in Hungary. And as can be seen the barriers in middle in Romania are 0,7 m from lane edge while in Hungary 1 m. Barriers on side are 3 m in Romania while 3,5 m in Hungary. This may be small difference but this is noticeable when driving.
I somehow imagined that would be the reason you didn't like Romanian motorways that much. You are absolutely right, barriers are a bit close to the lanes, especially the middle ones, which creates an unsettling psychological feeling when driving, mostly when overtaking a lorry. But the lanes themselves are quite wide and allow for safe driving, even if something might happen to slighly stick into your lane, which sometimes happens when drivers in the emergency lanes open their doors. As you said, the emergency lanes are a tad narrow.

Also, one issue nobody mentioned, surprisingly, is the narrow acceleration/deceleration lanes, which are the same width as the emergency lane. While an experienced driver would have no problem with them, I've seem a lot of unexperienced drivers (and Romania is full of them, especially in regions when motorways recently appeared) who barely accelerate and cross the continuous resonating line, in the path of other motorists .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH
Only lack of rest areas is bad. The situation is much better in Hungary.
That is indeed a problem ATM, but some of them are still under construction, while others need to be concessioned. The road company mentioned recently that more service areas should be put up for concession in the following months, but as usual in Romania, that might take a while...

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:01 PM   #7682
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2582

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Maybe Sibiu bypass is an exception. I've seen the "visiblity triangles" on other (newer) stretches.
Yeh, right, here You have A3 also without visibility triangles and this basically applies to all curves on that road so Sibiu is not an exception but a rule.

Quote:
The entire A281 does not have hard shoulders at all. The guard railing is close to the lane. A new section opened on Monday .
And this is My friend what is called an exception - it's basically urban connecting road and not a proper transit route. Although I admit that marking it as motorway without speed limits is a bit overoptimistic. Either way the transit routes around Bremen look totally different. Here A1 and here A27. They may look gray and not interesting but behind You have pretty decent standards including visibility triangles. Here You have cross sections of German motorways and as can be seen the standard depends on AADT with up to 30 thousand cars the lanes can be 3,5 m wide but overall road is 28 m wide (2 more than in Romania) which makes totally different feel of the road. We must also bear in mind that above that AADT lanes should be 3,75 m wide with complete road wide of 31 m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob
22m should be a decent 120kph road once the politicians get around to building one

It could be a decent road if AADT will be low and people learn to drive as on initial Reichsautoban -
1. when nearing intersection with a car joining go to left lane.
2. when You enter road "hammer down" and pray that cars on the road made point 1.
I've travelled allot on initial un-modernised Reichsautobanh and can only say thanks for that road, it is XXI century and knowledge how roads should be build is better. For example here is expressway in Poland which was build on former 2+2 road with intersections. It features 3,5 m lanes, approx 3 m hard shoulder and has 120 km/h speed limit - this is what should be basic for long distance expressways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicu' de garda
I somehow imagined that would be the reason you didn't like Romanian motorways that much
No, that’s wrong - after many km on regular roads the section of motorways were as blessing

Quote:
But the lanes themselves are quite wide and allow for safe driving
Agree with that, it’s only about psychical feeling not safety issues - maybe except visibility triangles.

Regarding that barriers on right side of the road - I thought about them but frankly they aren't as badly needed as it is safer to land on grass / in ditch than hit into barrier.

Quote:
Also, one issue nobody mentioned, surprisingly, is the narrow acceleration/deceleration lanes, which are the same width as the emergency lane
Yes that's true although I didn't noticed that as at present traffic is rather moderate (as for motorways throughput) and don't pose much problems.

Quote:
I've seem a lot of unexperienced drivers (and Romania is full of them, especially in regions when motorways recently appeared)
This problem is normal basically in all countries where motorways are new thing. It's normal that people must learn how to obey on roads.
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:52 PM   #7683
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Here You have cross sections of German motorways and as can be seen the standard depends on AADT with up to 30 thousand cars the lanes can be 3,5 m wide but overall road is 28 m wide (2 more than in Romania) which makes totally different feel of the road. We must also bear in mind that above that AADT lanes should be 3,75 m wide with complete road wide of 31 m.
About right. Romania can realistically expect heavy traffic on its core route ( in future) and the heavy AADT standard should apply roughly Bucharest > Cluj (2 routes) and 50km out of Bucharest and 30km out of Cluj perhaps.

Thereafter it can taper to substantially sub 31m wide motorways and then to sub 20m 2+2 expressways in the more rural areas and in the Carpathians.

Quote:
For example here is expressway in Poland which was build on former 2+2 road with intersections. It features 3,5 m lanes, approx 3 m hard shoulder and has 120 km/h speed limit - this is what should be basic for long distance expressways.
Polish expressways are generally the way to go in any country, save near large population centres of 1m plus and on key transit routes with substantial long distance/transit traffic. For that the Poles have their A roads.

But not every motorway needs to be built to a uniform standard and a 31m land take.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:19 PM   #7684
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

I don't know where to ask,but what is the name of a company that reconstructed DN79 between Arad-Oradea and when reconstruction was finished?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:23 PM   #7685
bogdymol
bogdymod

Italian company Astaldi. They completed it about 2-3 years ago.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:10 PM   #7686
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Agree with that, it’s only about psychical feeling not safety issues - maybe except visibility triangles.
Quote:
It's normal that people must learn how to obey on roads.
So I am probably happy about the Romanian motorway standard because I'm an experienced driver . But the general speed limit is damn low .
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:04 PM   #7687
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Italian company Astaldi. They completed it about 2-3 years ago.
So the contract was not canceled with them.
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #7688
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11828

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Hungary has a dodgy expressway standard too, they put GRAVEL on their hard shoulders in some cases
I still hope that this gravel thing will be realised as a huge mistake at some point. Luckily, we dont have much roads like this here in Hungary, but its getting more with opening of M85/M86 in the next years. I am pretty sure they will have to pave the hard shoulders later on.
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #7689
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

I guess I have to ask it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
It looks like Romania makes the race. M43 will be ready not earlier than summer 2015. See here: http://www.delmagyar.hu/mako_hirek/r...-ason/2401461/
Well, I'm not sure if I got the google translation right but the article says that the officials said the M43 should be completed at the end of first half of next year.

RO:
Quote:
According to the response of the Romanian highway and road development company in our paper recently sent to Nădlac-Arad motorway section is scheduled for January 22, 2015, I handed over to traffic.
Both RO lots should be completed by end of January 2015? I guess the Ex-Alpine lot Pecica-Arad will be handed over for traffic only, ain't it?

Hungary had planned a temporary Nagylak bypass. In case of RO would complete both lots by January, would it be possible to open the A1 b/n Arad-West interchange and Nadlac interchange and use the new access road to Nadlac (Nadlac bypass; OSM)?
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #7690
maciek9207

Likes (Received): 158

First part of my holiday trip to Romania. (2014)
Cluj Napoca (A3 Gilău) - Râmnicu Vâlcea (Jct with DN67) in 5 movies.
A3 Gilău - Turda (x2,5)

DN1 Turda - Alba Iulia - Sebeș (x3)

A1 + DN1 Sebeș - Sibiu (x3)

A1 - Sibiu centura (x3)

DN7 Sibiu - Râmnicu Vâlcea

Second part: Pitești - București - Constanța (A1, A2, A4)
Old October 19th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #7691
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

You're videos are great.I really like the way you're editing them.
Old October 19th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #7692
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciek9207 View Post

Second part: Pitești - București - Constanța (A1, A2, A4)
Some impressions about you trip?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #7693
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciek9207 View Post
Your videos are great and features really relaxing scenery. Great job =)

Can't wait to see Part 2 hehe

P.S.
Off-topic:
Regarding your avatar pic........from what anime is it?

I can't seem to tell if it's Air, Kanon or Clannad :P
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #7694
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

Recently, the last two lots of A10 Sebes-Turda have been settled in court, with no further possibility of appealing. After almost 1 year, we finally have builders for the entire 70 km stretch that links A1 to A3.

Lot 1 (Sebes interchange - Alba Iulia North) goes to Pizzaroti, while lot 2 (Alba Iulia North - Aiud) was won by Aktor. Both are somewhat difficult projects, so we should be happy if they will be ready by end 2016, but more likely 2017.

I hope the builders are serious and will begin construction next spring, with no reasons to delay works. I've read about the problems with Aktor on Struma lot 4, so I am somewhat worried. I remember we had some issues with this company before. Also, Pizzaroti is the company which works on A3 Bucharest-Ploiesti lot 1 (Bucharest-Moara Vlasiei) and still hasn't finished the first 6 km of it due to money disputes with the state. Moreover, each of these companies is working on railway projects in the area (reahabilitation of Sighisoara-Coslariu, I forgot exactly which lots) and they aren't exactly on schedule, nor working to make up lost time...

Fingers crossed!!

MichiH, Gubot liked this post
medicu' de garda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:15 PM   #7695
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

Castles and Mansions in Romania

Blackraven, mman2012, Strzala, Gubot, gogo3o liked this post
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 01:29 PM   #7696
maciek9207

Likes (Received): 158

First part of "second part" my trip in Romania "Pitești - București - Constanța"

A1 Pitești - București (x4)

Driving through București (x3)

Second part of "second part" will be available to watch in Friday. Third part of my trip in Romania will be road from Mangalia - Constanța - Tulcea (DN39 - A4 - DN22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Some impressions about you trip?
Really interesting highways with nice mountain views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Your videos are great and features really relaxing scenery. Great job =)

Can't wait to see Part 2 hehe

P.S.
Off-topic:
Regarding your avatar pic........from what anime is it?

I can't seem to tell if it's Air, Kanon or Clannad :P
Full second part will be available to watch in Friday. This avatar is maybe Clannad but I don't know, because I found this picture in Google.

medicu' de garda, Le Clerk, EduardSA liked this post

Last edited by maciek9207; November 3rd, 2014 at 02:05 PM.
maciek9207 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 04:19 PM   #7697
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A1 east of Timișoara in May 2014.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:34 PM   #7698
threo2k

Likes (Received): 23

Very nice videos! I Really enjoy watching them
threo2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #7699
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Aktor have been kicked off the Bulgarian A3 Struma project on the Bulgaria/Greece border for general lateness and asking for more money. They have some contracts on the A1<>A3 link in Romania....are these their first forays into Romania by any chance???

They did complete a contract on the Serbia/Macedonia border with no shenanigans in recent times and are doing another job on the Serbia/Bulgaria border (for the Serbs) with no bad news coming through from there either.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #7700
Strzala

Likes (Received): 8884

How long is new Agigea bridge?

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania