daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:57 AM   #8041
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
A video from yesterday from the same site: A1 motorway between Pecica and Arad.
Why is A1 not the main direction at Arad-West i/c? It's a TOTSO. Why?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:13 AM   #8042
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Why is A1 not the main direction at Arad-West i/c? It's a TOTSO. Why?
When you look at Open Streetmap, you can see that the draft road is intended to continue as main axe from Timisoara to Oradea via the DN79. From that map, the A1 section Arad Vest to Nadlac looks like an exit via the TOTSO. I guess the real reason is that the A1 between Arad West and Nadlac is realized after a change of plans: instead of continuing the A1 via a soft curve to Nadlac (at the current weird exit at the DN7 / Centura Nord / Oradea), they moved the Arad - Pecica portion of A1 straight alongside the railroad Arad - Nadlac. I recall that somewhere in the fields near the border one can find unfinished pillars for a bridge.

Last edited by Theijs; May 2nd, 2015 at 05:51 PM.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:23 AM   #8043
MichiH

As far as I know an Arad bypass is or was planned there. But a simple DN road, not motorway (I think it was formerly planned as expressway?).
Anyway, I guess most of the vehicles using A1 will stay on A1. So A1 should be the direct carriageway.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

scurt/2 liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2015, 01:36 PM   #8044
timeandspace

initially a1 was supposed to go west towards nadlac north of DN7. later due to the location of oil wells a1 was designed to run south of dn7 towards nadlac instead.

due to different planning stages, arad bypass was built up to dn7 nevertheless, and we have this interchange on a1/arad bypass splitting of westwards prior to the intersection with dn7, indeed resulting in this TOTSO for what we may assume will be most of a1 and arad west bypass traffic

the northernbound chunk of the bypass between the interchange and dn7 might become re-named.

MichiH liked this post
timeandspace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 01:48 PM   #8045
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Traffic counts on A1 west of Arad will remain low for the foreseeable future anyway.

The trumpet interchange is positioned in a way that traffic that follows A1 to Hungary and vice versa will use the easiest connectors. They seem to be designed as two-lane connectors on Google Earth. They are wider than the connectors from Szeged to Oradea, which will serve much less traffic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:03 PM   #8046
timeandspace

yes the interchange is desgined with 2lane width connectors for the a1/european corridor traffic. this is also visible in bogdymol's pictures earlier and noted by him in the Ro section of SSC
timeandspace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 03:23 PM   #8047
bogdymol
bogdymod

There are 2 lanes for the direction Timisoara to/from Szeged and 1 lane for the direction Arad-west (DN7).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:17 PM   #8048
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeandspace View Post
the northernbound chunk of the bypass between the interchange and dn7 might become re-named.
It received already a new name - it will be A11. CNADNR answered that the new name will be put in place after opening of Arad - Nadlac A1 section.

In a distant future A11 should link Arad and Oradea, A1 and A3 and Timisoara with Baia Mare / Satu Mare area.
pasadia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:36 PM   #8049
MichiH

Yes, you're right. But it will not be build "soon" (maybe never). Wasn't it planned to build a "simple" bypass first?

Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:48 PM   #8050
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Yes, you're right. But it will not be build "soon" (maybe never). Wasn't it planned to build a "simple" bypass first?
Yes, a northern bypass to connect A1 with DN79 Arad - Oradea.

MichiH liked this post
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:32 AM   #8051
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Left exit, haha
Old May 11th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #8052
cricric

Likes (Received): 3289

Signed contract for Suplacu de Barcau-Bors
cricric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #8053
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricric View Post
Hmm, if I got it right, works could begin within 41 days. The works should last 21 months plus 33 months warranty. Costs are just 2.6 million €/km (including service areas). The Bechtel contract costs were 4.33 million €/km w/o service areas (all w/o VAT). Environmental documents must be updated.

I'm not sure... could, would, should or will works begin in 41 days?

Well, I guess construction should be completed by April 2017. In addition, optimists will probably say "there's a chance to open the motorway by late 2016"

Quote:
The article also says: "the companies that lost the tender may appeal the decision CNADNR, it is likely that the completion of Highway Section 3 C does not happen at the expected time schedule, i.e. in May 2017." (Google translated)
I guess there were no appeals?

Old May 11th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #8054
cricric

Likes (Received): 3289

Quote:
I'm not sure... could, would, should or will works begin in 41 days?
Should. But actually it can be a could Gilau-Nadaselu was signed and we had to wait more than a year to see some action. The rest is correct.

Quote:
I guess there were no appeals
Nope.

Can you please do the update?
cricric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #8055
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

This article says that there are 24 months for construction and 30 for warranty. And it sound right this way, not 21+33.

Also, if I remember right, is's design and build, so probably only design part will begin so soon. Altough it shouldn't take too much time with design since most of that was done by Bechtel.

MichiH liked this post

Last edited by pasadia; May 11th, 2015 at 09:06 PM.
pasadia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #8056
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
Also, if I remember riht, is's design and build, so probably only design part will begin so soon. Altough it should take too much time with design since most of that was done by Bechtel.
I think "design phase" could also just be the update of the environmental documents.

Old May 11th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #8057
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

Well, design phase could mean some optimisations here and there, in places where Bechtel never lifted a spade of earth, such as the section near Oradea and the corresponding interchange. They now speak of a fast road link to Oradea bypass, so that might imply redoing the original design to allow this.

Also, there is a stretch of motoway that passes right through an oilwell field near Suplacu de Barcau, which never came into existence because of huge costs or relocating everything. Maybe the contractor will find a way of optimising the route, who knows...

darko06 liked this post
medicu' de garda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #8058
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicu' de garda View Post

Also, there is a stretch of motoway that passes right through an oilwell field near Suplacu de Barcau, which never came into existence because of huge costs or relocating everything. Maybe the contractor will find a way of optimising the route, who knows...
Thank you for the explanation.
Looking at GoogleEarth, I was always wondering what this field of platforms with connecting ways is.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #8059
soterman

Likes (Received): 2

Hi everyone, I am planning to reach road 7C Transfagarasan this summer with a few friends and I would like your valuable help. I will be coming into Romania from the south, possibly entering from Oryahovo-Bechet or Nikopol-Turnu Magurele.

So, which route would you chose (less time, better surface, nicer views)? Thank you in advance!
soterman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #8060
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

When are you planning on doing this? Take into account the fact the the Transfagaran opens after 1st of July, you can't use it until then. Both routes are rather low quality, be advised. In my opinion and according to the Romanian road quality map, it's better to enter through Bechet, the road until Craiova is mediocre in quality, after that roads are good. After that, you can head to Ramnicu Valcea (it's shorter and perhaps more interesting, along the Olt valley, than going via Pitesti). After that, head straight to Curtea de Arges, on another mediocre road and you're on the Transfagarasan. Also, be sure to visit this town, it has a famous monastery there . On the way back, you can use DN7, which is a sight on its own (congested though) and use the same route out of the country.

Have a nice trip

winnipeg liked this post
medicu' de garda no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania