daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #8061
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by soterman View Post
Hi everyone, I am planning to reach road 7C Transfagarasan this summer with a few friends and I would like your valuable help. I will be coming into Romania from the south, possibly entering from Oryahovo-Bechet or Nikopol-Turnu Magurele.

So, which route would you chose (less time, better surface, nicer views)? Thank you in advance!
Hi

You should save and keep with you this awesome map of romanian roads quality : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1381215 It is really helpful as GPS and Google maps or others won't tell you the quality of the road...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2015, 07:55 PM   #8062
soterman

Likes (Received): 2

The plan is for September, if all goes well...

Thank you both for the suggestions, of course I will save the road map and have it with me!

winnipeg liked this post
soterman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 07:59 PM   #8063
bogdymol
bogdymod

You might want to save that link and get the latest version of the map just before your trip. The map is updated every 1-2 months, so you will then have the latest version.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

winnipeg, soterman liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #8064
winnipeg

Oh I didn't seen that Medicu' de garda posted the link right before me!
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:27 AM   #8065
yaffle

Likes (Received): 0

If I'm heading for Nadlac on the A1, is it better to take the southern route past Lugoj after the new road ends, or the northern one that goes through Lipova?
yaffle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:54 AM   #8066
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaffle View Post
If I'm heading for Nadlac on the A1, is it better to take the southern route past Lugoj after the new road ends, or the northern one that goes through Lipova?
I never took the road beetwen Lugoj and Deva, but I bet that this is a waste of time and gas as this road is longer, takes more time than the old Deva-Arad which is not an easy road (lots of trucks, many turkish trucks who drive like morons, also lots of villages on the road)....

But it isn't better by the road on the south outside the few highway portions...

If all is going well (which is almost never the case...) in 2016 Timisoara-Sibiu should be fully open and at this moment there will be no more question possible!
Old May 20th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #8067
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
If all is going well (which is almost never the case...) in 2016 Timisoara-Sibiu should be fully open and at this moment there will be no more question possible!

Actually no, there is no chance for Nadlac - Sibiu to be fully open in 2016 since there are 3 tunnels to be done in this area and they need to be auction separately. And the selection process didn't event started, so there is no way that the tunnels would be open in 2016.

@yaffle: please be carefull not to use Arad by-pass on DN7, as far as I know it's really congested. And if you planning your trip for later this year it will be probably better to choose southern route as there are chances that some new parts of A1 to be open (Arad - Pecica and maybe Lugoj - Timisoara).
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #8068
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
Actually no, there is no chance for Nadlac - Sibiu to be fully open in 2016 since there are 3 tunnels to be done in this area and they need to be auction separately. And the selection process didn't event started, so there is no way that the tunnels would be open in 2016.

@yaffle: please be carefull not to use Arad by-pass on DN7, as far as I know it's really congested. And if you planning your trip for later this year it will be probably better to choose southern route as there are chances that some new parts of A1 to be open (Arad - Pecica and maybe Lugoj - Timisoara).
Thanks for those precisions, I followed this page : http://130km.ro/a1.html#cinci that didn't wrote about the tunnels! It's a bad news, when they will finish this nightmare highway...?

For Arad by-pass, yes it is sometimes congested, but I think that most of the times it will be faster than going through the city center, the circulation can be slow during the day...

Arad-Pecica doesn't impact his decision as after Arad it will be the best solution in all the cases. Yes if Lugoj-Timisoara is open when he will travel, it would be better to go through south...
Old May 20th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #8069
pasadia

Quote:
It's a bad news, when they will finish this nightmare highway...?
No one can answer that, probably in 2017 if they sign the new contract that it's required in the next 12 months. But they haven't started biding process yet, so...
We'll have to deal one or two years with a missing part of about 26 km between Dobra I/C and Margina I/C, and in that area DN68A it's a pretty bad mountain road.

winnipeg, MichiH liked this post
Old May 20th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #8070
winnipeg

Quote:
No one can answer that, probably in 2017 if they sign the new contract that it's required in the next 12 months. But they haven't started biding process yet, so...
We'll have to deal one or two years with a missing part of about 26 km between Dobra I/C and Margina I/C, and in that area DN68A it's a pretty bad mountain road.
Okay, thanks for these informations !

I hope that it will not take years to biuld this portion, unlike many others...
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #8071
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19364

Strabag won the tender for the construction of 10.1 km of A3 between Ungheni and Ogra. Construction time is 12 months.

http://www.strabag.com/databases/int...=1618&h=7&l=EN

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, winnipeg, daniel LNC liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #8072
pasadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Strabag won the tender for the construction of 10.1 km of A3 between Ungheni and Ogra. Construction time is 12 months.
Actually no, they didn't won yet. There is a trial going on (link in roumanian), ASTALDI is contesting their "win". Hopefully it wil be over soon, but this two (Strabag and Astaldi) are on each other's backs for some time now, contesting each other in many auctions.

winnipeg, MichiH liked this post
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #8073
winnipeg

Quote:
Actually no, they didn't won yet. There is a trial going on (link in roumanian), ASTALDI is contesting their "win". Hopefully it wil be over soon, but this two (Strabag and Astaldi) are on each other's backs for some time now, contesting each other in many auctions.
As usual here in Romania, you must always contest the contract your opponent got, just to slow him, it will take months to review the contestation...

daniel LNC liked this post
Old May 21st, 2015, 08:45 AM   #8074
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
As usual here in Romania, you must always contest the contract your opponent got, just to slow him, it will take months to review the contestation...
no you are wrong. this is business. if you, as a looser of potential huge income... what you do ? walk away ? or fight to the bitter end ?

I am sorry, business does not look after national interests. if you have a chance (court yard) you must not skip this step.

well, you may say: OK, then our law system is wrong, because it slows down the road construction process effectively.

but , again, in my opinion this system is OK. it stabilises the public bids and takes care of public money. of course it takes time. well, this is a drawback.
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 09:22 AM   #8075
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
no you are wrong. this is business. if you, as a looser of potential huge income... what you do ? walk away ? or fight to the bitter end ?

I am sorry, business does not look after national interests. if you have a chance (court yard) you must not skip this step.

well, you may say: OK, then our law system is wrong, because it slows down the road construction process effectively.

but , again, in my opinion this system is OK. it stabilises the public bids and takes care of public money. of course it takes time. well, this is a drawback.
It's not even my analysis, there is many romanians who told me this, that this kind of a "rule" here, probably that the "loosers" find here a way to "punish" them for not choosing them and to block the work of the "winner"...

And this is why here many public works takes years to be done...

And of course there is also contestations in western Europe, but not in that way, in many case the loosers are accepting that they lost, and they simply turn the page...
Old May 21st, 2015, 11:25 AM   #8076
Kyrat

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaffle View Post
Tough choice, but I'd pick the southern route, for several reasons:
- There are fewer trucks on that route and the road has overall less traffic (the alternative Mureș Valley route is an annoyance at best, a long nightmare at worst)
- The road is on mostly flat terrain from around Făget all the way to the motorway, making it a lot easier to overtake slow traffic
- You can benefit from the short motorway section around Lugoj (especially if you take the shortcut at exit Balinț/Păru), and also the almost completed motorway from near Timișoara to the border.

Drawbacks:
- The asphalt is a bit deteriorated between Ilia and Făget, making for a bumpy ride
- The road is narrow and curvy in the mountain section.
- On paper at least the distance is greater.

pasadia, winnipeg liked this post
Kyrat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:40 AM   #8077
yaffle

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrat View Post
Tough choice, but I'd pick the southern route, for several reasons:
- There are fewer trucks on that route and the road has overall less traffic (the alternative Mureș Valley route is an annoyance at best, a long nightmare at worst)
- The road is on mostly flat terrain from around Făget all the way to the motorway, making it a lot easier to overtake slow traffic
- You can benefit from the short motorway section around Lugoj (especially if you take the shortcut at exit Balinț/Păru), and also the almost completed motorway from near Timișoara to the border.

Drawbacks:
- The asphalt is a bit deteriorated between Ilia and Făget, making for a bumpy ride
- The road is narrow and curvy in the mountain section.
- On paper at least the distance is greater.
Thanks very much, I was thinking the same thing but I wasn't sure about the southern road.
yaffle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 01:33 AM   #8078
pasadia

Some new aerial footage of:

A1: Dumbrava – Cosevita 28.6km (2013 to May 2016) – project – map

The footage start somewhere above Nemesesti train station towards west so it doesn't contain the final 3 km where there tunnels ask through environmental agreement.
At 1:42 we have Margina I/C. Segment from there on towards west there where hopes that will be opened for traffic in this december, but it's seems highly unlikely.

A1: Cosevita – Ilia 21.1km (2013 to May 2016) – ? – map
A1: Ilia – Soimus 22.1km (2013 to May 2016) – ? – map

It starts from around this place towards east. Around 2:40 we have Dobra I/C, around 5:35 should be Ilia I/C.

winnipeg, MichiH, EduardSA liked this post
Old May 25th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #8079
bogdymol
bogdymod

Main road 1, just after leaving Sibiu towards Bucharest/Brasov:

source
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #8080
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2080

Was the pic recently taken? Is there still so much snow?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania