daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #8181
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12038

Or if Romania or Bulgaria had balls when talking to Bruxelles.
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Gubot liked this post
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #8182
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Romania and Bulgaria should at least make a mini Schengen agreement between them only
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #8183
KaaRoy

Likes (Received): 2

Vignette

Who will sell the Romanian vignette upon entering on this new Szeged - Arad motorway section?

Anyway, is this taken seriously? Do you people purchase those vignettes in Romania?
KaaRoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #8184
haddockman

Likes (Received): 8

I am sure the family members of the existing sellers at Cenad and Nadlac will have the gig.

The only place you are likely to be controlled for the RO vignette is at the bridge to Bulgaria at Ruse.

I have driven across the entire country having forgotten to buy the vignette and have left the country via Arad with zero consequences.
haddockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #8185
bogdymol
bogdymod

Today ciprebbe @ pum uploaded a video regarding the new motorway opening between Arad and the Hungarian border, including the new border crossing. 2 interesting screen shots:

The new border crossing, seen from above:

Arad bypass interchange:

Video:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

winnipeg, neaguionutu, Bzyq_74, AlexisMD, Gubot liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #8186
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The border crossing was not originally planned, right? Google Earth March 2014 imagery shows no right-of-way being acquired / under construction for such a large border plaza.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #8187
haddockman

It was hoped that Romania would have joined Schengen in time. But sadly it didn't.
Old July 9th, 2015, 08:17 PM   #8188
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaRoy View Post
Who will sell the Romanian vignette upon entering on this new Szeged - Arad motorway section?

Anyway, is this taken seriously? Do you people purchase those vignettes in Romania?
You don't really expect us to encourage you to not purchase one for transiting our country, do you?

Also, times have changes recently, CNADNR has invested in roadside cameras that scan your car and checks that is has a valid vignete. If you happen to meet one, failure to purchase one by the end of the day (the system does unofficially allow for this) results in a ticket being sent home. And these cameras are being instaled in more and more places. Their locations are, AFAIK, undisclosed. So not a very good idea!

LE: still, to answer your question, at the moment, there are still plenty of users that do not have a valid vignete. But their number has been steadilly dropping since these cameras have been instaled. I don't have any official stats to show ATM

As for buying one, this will be a problem since CNADNR still hasn't started the tender for roadside gas stations for the latest built motorways. They have managed to organise one for temporary mobile stations (like THIS one), but these won't have vignete purchasing capabilities. In conclusion, for a while, there will be no other possibility for buying a vignete other than using the old border facility. Until then, you can use THIS site

Last edited by medicu' de garda; July 9th, 2015 at 08:26 PM.
medicu' de garda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #8189
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The border crossing was not originally planned, right? Google Earth March 2014 imagery shows no right-of-way being acquired / under construction for such a large border plaza.
I remember the preliminary designs for this motorway and on them it was clearly stated that there was space to be reserved in the rest areas for border control facilities. You can actually see the large unused space inside those spaces in the photo above (normally these don't exist, all rest areas are as tight as can be).

Somehow, sometime, they decided to screw it and just build the thing separately. Probably after realising that Schengen was a faraway perspective. Also, I think they decided to move all truck traffic through this border crossing (the old one will be only for cars soon), so a big upscaling was necesary. No designs for this new space have made it into the public space, AFAIK, so this is the first time we all get to see the layout of it.
Old July 9th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #8190
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In this March 2014 imagery you can see that earthworks are pretty advanced, but no indication of a large border crossing. Only two small rest areas seems to have been planned at that time (maybe for vignette sales?) on both sides of the border.

On the other hand, the exit to DN7G to Nădlac was also not visible, while opened to traffic only 9 months later.

Old July 9th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #8191
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i am also very surprised by the size of that border crossing and expected something more like our Goričan/Letenye very simple thing that can easily be removed and noone will almost notice that there was border crossing.
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #8192
haddockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicu' de garda View Post
You don't really expect us to encourage you to not purchase one for transiting our country, do you?

Also, times have changes recently, CNADNR has invested in roadside cameras that scan your car and checks that is has a valid vignete. If you happen to meet one, failure to purchase one by the end of the day (the system does unofficially allow for this) results in a ticket being sent home. And these cameras are being instaled in more and more places. Their locations are, AFAIK, undisclosed. So not a very good idea!

LE: still, to answer your question, at the moment, there are still plenty of users that do not have a valid vignete. But their number has been steadilly dropping since these cameras have been instaled. I don't have any official stats to show ATM

As for buying one, this will be a problem since CNADNR still hasn't started the tender for roadside gas stations for the latest built motorways. They have managed to organise one for temporary mobile stations (like THIS one), but these won't have vignete purchasing capabilities. In conclusion, for a while, there will be no other possibility for buying a vignete other than using the old border facility. Until then, you can use THIS site
How can CNADNR look up the plates of non RO vehicles? A complex system of cameras and controls are effective against RO vehicle owners but would mean very little to the foreign vehicles passing thru.

Do CNADNR have something to do with toll collections for the Giurgiu-Ruse bridge? It is the only manned RO vignette control point I have come across. There must be others?
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #8193
KaaRoy

Likes (Received): 2

Thanks for all the replies to my vignette question!
KaaRoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #8194
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
How can CNADNR look up the plates of non RO vehicles? A complex system of cameras and controls are effective against RO vehicle owners but would mean very little to the foreign vehicles passing thru.
You do realise that being an EU country implies that other EU countries (EEA also?) have acces to vehicle database information in order to sens tickets from one country to another? It's the same way you can get a ticket from Switzerland or Sweden if you cross the speed limit there or any other sanctioned issue caught by camera. Even of the computer system can't decifre a foreign plate, you can be sure there's a human operator there ready to sort things out

Quote:
Do CNADNR have something to do with toll collections for the Giurgiu-Ruse bridge? It is the only manned RO vignette control point I have come across. There must be others?
Yes, bridge tolls at Giurgiu-Ruse, Giurgeni-Vadu Oii and Fetesti-Cernavoda are collected by CNADNR. The last one also has a modern electronic toll recently instaled, so that cars can just pass right through if they have paid the toll at a gas station or by SMS (alsom they are allowed to pay after passing in the first 2 days). If I remeber well, a similar system is due to be instaled at Giurgiu in the future. The vignete control point (?) is manned probably because it also doubles as a border crossing?
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #8195
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I suppose the system that CNADNR (and NIF in Hungary) use can read whether users have paid the tolls or not, regardless of country of origin. So they can be fined if pulled over. But yes, sending fines to other countries (and get them actually paid) is a whole other story.
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #8196
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Romania and Bulgaria should at least make a mini Schengen agreement between them only
I am not sure that would be in line with Schengen requirements proper, go figure - they would probably be a breach of Schengen rules !! But since these requirements have been set aside by the EU members to delay accession for Romania and Bulgaria, then why not ?!

PS: it is off-topic to discuss Schengen here. We will get in with the air borders and probably maritime borders and that's it .
Old July 10th, 2015, 01:12 AM   #8197
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

When I drove last weekend on the A1 between Nadlac exit and Pecica, I noticed (Rovignetta) camera's above the highway.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #8198
haddockman

Those cameras are everywhere in Romania.
Old July 10th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #8199
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
EC provides Romania over EUR 9.40 bn for large infrastructure projects

Romanian authorities and European Commission (EC) officials have concluded negotiations on the Large Infrastructure Operational Programme – transport components, environment and energy, so that the document will be officially sent to Brussels on Monday, according to Marius Nica, Minister of European Funds, hotnews.ro informs.

“This means that starting July, Romania will have EUR 9.41 billion available for transport infrastructure, environment and energy,” Nica said.

He stated that through the Large Infrastructure Operational Programme, European officials provide approximately EUR 3 billion, including national co-financing and performance reserve, which only partially cover the investment needs of projects in the pipeline. An additional funding will be ensured through the National Programme for Rural Development, infrastructure development measure in rural areas.
http://www.romaniajournal.ro/ec-prov...ture-projects/

bogdymol liked this post
Old July 10th, 2015, 01:35 PM   #8200
LG_

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In this March 2014 imagery you can see that earthworks are pretty advanced, but no indication of a large border crossing. Only two small rest areas seems to have been planned at that time (maybe for vignette sales?) on both sides of the border.
Perhaps this border check point can be easely turned into a proper rest area later, once Romania (and Bulgaria) have entered the shengen area!
LG_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania