daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2015, 01:35 AM   #8521
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

PS: I suppose that you are now familiar with works on A10, from Sebes to Turda. So I can only sugest that you come visit Brasov and maybe have a taste of DN1 between Brasov and Sinaia. But not in a week-end.
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2015, 01:38 AM   #8522
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
The Romanian road company has just announced that A1 motorway, Deva-Sibiu, lot 3 (section between Cunta and Saliste... about 22 km long, from km 270+020 to km 292+455) will be closed starting with Monday, for about 1.5 months, for repair works.

This section was opened just about 9 months ago, but there have always been concerns regarding the quality of the works.
So sad... but very typical of was is currently done with highways here...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 06:49 AM   #8523
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12044

Oh, come on ! No need for such exaggeration ! It's the only case a motorway section is closed for repairs. Really not that typical. It's actually a normal guarantee procedure which is carried out by the builder.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #8524
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
- and somewhere around this area they will need a new bidding proces to determine a new constructor for 6 kilometers that will include three tunnel requested through enviromental agreement. And since bidding process haven't started yet, I doubt that they will open in 2016. More likely will have Sibiu - Nadlac in second part of 2017.
Yep, I saw the gap from the plane. You can see the progress east of the section on Google Satellite. I think it still looks like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Oh, come on ! No need for such exaggeration ! It's the only case a motorway section is closed for repairs. Really not that typical. It's actually a normal guarantee procedure which is carried out by the builder.
I think the situation is also caused by CNADNR or the government. If memory serves, there were unexpected problems but the authority didn't accept more delays and wanted the section to be opened as soon as possible. One could expect that there will be repairs after opening.

I usually complain about German announcements for completion delays because of unexpected problems. I'm not sure what is better in the end of the day, opening with a little delay and a short closure later on or a hugh delay of opening date.

Quote:
PS: I suppose that you are now familiar with works on A10, from Sebes to Turda.
I drove there twice (Sebes - Alba Iulia-South and Turda-Sebes). I didn't use the Alba Iulia bypass. IIRC you wrote that works are ongoing there, aren't they? If not, I think LOT1+LOT2 must be declared as "not yet u/c".

Quote:
So I can only sugest that you come visit Brasov and maybe have a taste of DN1 between Brasov and Sinaia. But not in a week-end.
I drove DN1 Ploiesti - Brasov on a Monday afternoon one year ago. I think it was less traffic and cruising speed was okay. There were almost no trucks even you reported DN7 was closed for trucks that time (DN7 was empty on that Monday morning).

I drove Sibiu-Brasov a week ago. DN1 westbound traffic was horrible on Saturday morning. I drove DN73 to Pitesti on Saturday afternoon and there was a long congestion through Cristian. I think it was just caused by the railway crossing! The congestion in Bran was caused by tourists though. I think the announced first section of A3 (Cristian/Rasnov bypass) would really be a relief and it's an eligible first section.

I'll go to Brasov tomorrow again but not heading southwards .

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #8525
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Now, the pavement is parital completely removed, e.g. just west of the viaduct.

Source: www.turnulsfatului.ro

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Le Clerk liked this post
Old September 4th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #8526
pasadia

Ok, you are already at home here. Good to know.

On Ploiesti - Brasov there is a ban on trucks between 6 am and 22 pm. And DN7 last year was also banned for trucks between Pitesti and Ramnicu Valcea because of road works after some flooding. Maybe you drove there during that time.

Lot I between Sebes and Alba Iulia North is under construction, lot II not yet. Neaga, head of CNADNR admitted that on that 70 km strech there is no construction permit except for some 6 kilometers (still there are some enviromental agrement to be obtained and also some expropiation to be approved).

Yes, Cristian - Bran on DN73 is quite busy during week-ends. I guess that i'm used to it so I don't mind that much.

Sorry, won't be able to invite you tomorrow at a coffee or a beer, I'm going hiking in Bucegi.

MichiH, Le Clerk liked this post
Old September 4th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #8527
MichiH

Quote:
Ok, you are already at home here.

Quote:
On Ploiesti - Brasov there is a ban on trucks between 6 am and 22 pm. And DN7 last year was also banned for trucks between Pitesti and Ramnicu Valcea because of road works after some flooding. Maybe you drove there during that time.
Yep. But how could trucks pass the mountains that time on their way from Bucharest to Transylvania/Hungary?

Quote:
Lot I between Sebes and Alba Iulia North is under construction, lot II not yet.
Will be corrected in my list

Quote:
Sorry, won't be able to invite you tomorrow at a coffee or a beer, I'm going hiking in Bucegi.
Have fun .

Old September 4th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #8528
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

Quote:
Yep. But how could trucks pass the mountains that time on their way from Bucharest to Transylvania/Hungary?
DN1A. You should really try it once for the luls and kicks. It's a once in a lifetime experience . Although it is a really scenic road, but very tiresome because of the winding curves and trucks.

Also, only DN7 Pitesti-Rm Valcea was closed, valea Oltului was still open. It's just that trucks had to take a long detour through Slatina, and many truckers just chose to use DN6 to Timisoara instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH
I think the situation is also caused by CNADNR or the government. If memory serves, there were unexpected problems but the authority didn't accept more delays and wanted the section to be opened as soon as possible. One could expect that there will be repairs after opening.

I usually complain about German announcements for completion delays because of unexpected problems. I'm not sure what is better in the end of the day, opening with a little delay and a short closure later on or a hugh delay of opening date.
It's a lot more than the little delay issue. I agree with the fact that CNADNR forced the final deadline for the opening, although works were supposed to continue alonside traffic (which didn't really happen for long). The matter is much more complex. Firstly, the builder, Impregilo won the tender with a design that somehow ignored the known geological problems in the area and the request by CNADNR that bidders were to come with their own studies and project after winning. They went full YOLO and submited a design that "magically and unexpectedly" started to go downhill in multiple aleas due to crappy geology and crappy build solutions, and the builder claimed full innocence in the matter. After that they proposed a new fixed design, including a new similar viaduct to the one already built,a tunnel on the other side. CNADNR refused, as they were much above the legal 10% extra of the tender value and claiming that the builders are responsible for ignoring the geology. Lawsuit folowed, Impregilo lost (they only got some 15mil EURO extra instead of the 100 they asked for) and were forced to finish the thing no matter the costs on their own money.

Also, during this time, they tried another now design with a tunnel, also over budget and denied. Finally a sollution was agreed to just do more earthworks to smoothen the slopes of the adjeaent land and on the are on top of the moving hill to just pump Durosol, stabilise the terrain through Deepmixing and hope for the best. Which as we now can see, failed . The rushed opening probably made thing s worse, but these problems were bound to surface eventually. Reports have been issued (and reached the media) in the last months with hundreds of reports of inconsistencies, poor execution, cut corners and poor solutions from the get-go. I'm just glad that Impregilo has been forced to fix this whole cluster**** on their own money and make sure it stays fixed during the entire waranty period. This will surely cost them a ton of money. But in case anyone feels any pity towards them, may I remind you it's the same company that managed this engineering wonder of the world on the latest Panama canal project

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeClerk
I agree with this partially. Less so with the fact that it's only a 9 month old motorway, which started splitting and sliding away soon after the opening day. You certainly don't see that everyday!

MichiH, Le Clerk liked this post
medicu' de garda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #8529
pasadia

Quote:
But how could trucks pass the mountains that time on their way from Bucharest to Transylvania/Hungary?
On DN6, via Drobeta. Or on DN1, during nighttime. Or like that.

DN66, Petrosani - Targu Jiu was also closed during day time for road works (well, actually it was open for 2 hours, then closed for 2, then open again...). You know, there used to be a border over the mountains 100 years ago and sometimes it still feels like it is one.
Old September 4th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #8530
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicu' de garda View Post
I agree with this partially. Less so with the fact that it's only a 9 month old motorway, which started splitting and sliding away soon after the opening day. You certainly don't see that everyday!
There are some hard corrugations in road surface, e.g. on both carriageways just east of the A1 tunnel.

Old September 5th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #8531
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1174

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicu' de garda View Post
It's a lot more than the little delay issue. I agree with the fact that CNADNR forced the final deadline for the opening, although works were supposed to continue alonside traffic (which didn't really happen for long). The matter is much more complex. Firstly, the builder, Impregilo won the tender with a design that somehow ignored the known geological problems in the area and the request by CNADNR that bidders were to come with their own studies and project after winning. They went full YOLO and submited a design that "magically and unexpectedly" started to go downhill in multiple aleas due to crappy geology and crappy build solutions, and the builder claimed full innocence in the matter. After that they proposed a new fixed design, including a new similar viaduct to the one already built,a tunnel on the other side. CNADNR refused, as they were much above the legal 10% extra of the tender value and claiming that the builders are responsible for ignoring the geology. Lawsuit folowed, Impregilo lost (they only got some 15mil EURO extra instead of the 100 they asked for) and were forced to finish the thing no matter the costs on their own money.

Also, during this time, they tried another now design with a tunnel, also over budget and denied. Finally a sollution was agreed to just do more earthworks to smoothen the slopes of the adjeaent land and on the are on top of the moving hill to just pump Durosol, stabilise the terrain through Deepmixing and hope for the best. Which as we now can see, failed . The rushed opening probably made thing s worse, but these problems were bound to surface eventually. Reports have been issued (and reached the media) in the last months with hundreds of reports of inconsistencies, poor execution, cut corners and poor solutions from the get-go.

Maybe a clarification - in the initial discussions during construction, the focus was mostly on the big excavation south of Aciliu, here: https://goo.gl/maps/NuZp3; that's also where they proposed the tunnel, right? And that part seems to be holding up ok, no?
The reason for the current closure is however on the other side of the viaduct - for that there was no alternative design proposed by Impregilo?
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 01:16 AM   #8532
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
But you can't deny that there is many problems with CNADNR and also with the quality of the work who is done (is that linked with poor studies about these highways? To the sad high level of corruption in Romania? ).

The saddest thing is that this is making the development of the country only slower...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #8533
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12044

I do not think the quality of motorway building in Romania is lower than the EU standard. In the case above near the Aciliu viaduct, it was a clear design fault of the builder, which is BTW a pretty established Italian company. I do not want to defend CNADNR here, but the reality is that it is the fault of Impregilo, who is now bearing the costs, in addition to the losses that medicu de garda said they incurred when building that section of motorway. I think Impregilo lost overall a lot of money from that contract instead of earning profits.

And BTW, because of the low prices bid in the past years for construction works, a lot of Romanian companies are in bankruptcy procedures. Actually most of those who did motorway works, some very good.

I guess this case shows how very good is that the standards for geological studies in the FS has been raised at EU request - with the expected delays for the FS documentation. Imagine such mistakes on the complex motorways in the mountains on Sibiu-Pitesti or Comarnic-Brasov ...
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Last edited by Le Clerk; September 5th, 2015 at 08:43 AM.
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #8534
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
I do not want to defend CNADNR here, but the reality is that it is the fault of Impregilo, (..) I guess this case shows how very good is that the standards for geological studies in the FS has been raised at EU request.
I.m.h.o. CNADNR made a wrong decision by leaving a solution for the geological challenges out of the tender. CNADNR should have made it part of the tender, so it could chose the best proposed solution for the raised issues.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #8535
MichiH

Quote:
I drove Sibiu-Brasov a week ago. DN1 westbound traffic was horrible on Saturday morning.
I'll go to Brasov tomorrow again but not heading southwards .
I drove Sibiu-Brasov again. Same weekday, same time of day, just one week later. There were almost no trucks today while there drove many trucks last week!?

I think one out of three cars driving westbound was from Italy. In addition, some Austrian, British, German, Irish, Spanish and Swedish cars.....

Old September 5th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #8536
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
The reason for the current closure is however on the other side of the viaduct - for that there was no alternative design proposed by Impregilo?
Oh, but it was: another ~1 km long viaduct over the entire area affected by landslides. Yet, that proposal was made after the beginning of landslides and was forwarded to CNADNR as a claim, asking the Company to pay for the new overpass.
But you've made a good point here: as much as strange that may be, the most unstable area is on the north-western end of Aciliu viaduct, not where they cut that entire hill.

Last edited by nenea_hartia; September 5th, 2015 at 09:32 PM.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #8537
MichiH

Works are ongoing east of the viaduct too. Not on the road but on the right and on the left of the road (minimum since June):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariansb View Post
Azi ora 17.45 pe lotul Imbecilio

Old September 5th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #8538
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
Maybe a clarification - in the initial discussions during construction, the focus was mostly on the big excavation south of Aciliu, here: https://goo.gl/maps/NuZp3; that's also where they proposed the tunnel, right? And that part seems to be holding up ok, no?
Indeed, that part is still holding up relatively well, although there are some minor landslides. But the other side, one the sliding hill also has a number of solutions proposed from the first redesign attempt. That is where the viaduct I mentioned above was sopposed to be built. Not over a valley, but over the entire sliding terrain, barely above the ground but with pillar deep beneath. I would have cost the same as the current one. Since that was rejected, they agreed on trying to stabilise the sides of the road with a Deepmixing technique and also stabilise the roadbed itself with a ton of Durosol. That definitely wasn't enough, since even the culverts are apparently slowly sliding downhill.

AFAIK now they are trying to stabilise the whole thing with concrete piles dug in the ground, but I don't know how deep. I do hope they will get it right this time. I still haven't got the time to study the new proposals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijis
I.m.h.o. CNADNR made a wrong decision by leaving a solution for the geological challenges out of the tender. CNADNR should have made it part of the tender, so it could chose the best proposed solution for the raised issues.
AFAIK, as it's a Design&build, the builder was supposed to do it's own geological study while designing the thing...
Old September 7th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #8539
belerophon

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally posted by medicu' de garda

I'm just glad that Impregilo has been forced to fix this whole cluster**** on their own money... This will surely cost them a ton of money. But in case anyone feels any pity towards them, may I remind you it's the same company that managed this engineering wonder of the world on the latest Panama canal project

Quote:
Originally posted by Le Clerk

I do not think the quality of motorway building in Romania is lower than the EU standard. In the case above near the Aciliu viaduct, it was a clear design fault of the builder (Impregilo), which is BTW a pretty established Italian company.

You know if thats an established builder, i hope never to get introduced to an unestablished one.

Impregilo has a faible for getting into problems. I hope these works which led to big political distrass they did well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kárahn...dropower_Plant

This dam they built hmm fitting to the traditional african procedure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokwe_Mukorsi_Dam

Or look here, cheap concept and high additional demands afterwards... I hope they get the money, its another dam:
https://www.newera.com.na/2015/01/16...ra-n600m-govt/

They additionally seem to know each judge in Italia personally....

If an motorway slides away thats tragic, but if once a dam collapses there is a real problem...

I dont get through all the depth of these projects you know. But if there are problems, Salini Impregilo isn't far away. Surely what is happening, is that these companies compete world wide with risen fists to get their share, so i guess all of them do uhm unconventional things... but Impregilo well produces wonders of the world like it was told before... The only thing you could argue about, is that there are also other companys who do stupid things... if you remember the bridge desasters 2008/14 in Czech republic for example. (czech companies&our dear strabag)

Or this mess:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Two slip road bridges on the D1 in Ostrava, that was built by Eurovia, were closed for the freight traffic and maybe will be closed for all traffic altogether.

RSD talks about their possible collapsing. Bridges are 8 cms out of their bearings sliding to one side.

http://www.novinky.cz/ekonomika/3472...i-zriceni.html

We in Germany always say, with these kind of Allies even Caesar and Alexander would have lost a war.

Drove my car everywhere except: IL, JOR

Last edited by belerophon; September 7th, 2015 at 08:04 PM. Reason: My fault^^
belerophon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #8540
MichiH

Quote:
Which time will the closure begin on Monday?
I was a little bit late this morning. I arrived Saliste at 7:45 AM and the westbound direction was already closed. I guess it was closed just a couple of minutes before I arrived though. A1 was still opened towards Sibiu but both directions were closed in the afternoon.

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania