daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #8961
roaddor
In the brig

Likes (Received): 5490

I assume even 2023 could be an optimistic term, probably 2025 provided it starts in 2018 and goes smoothly afterwards. The current distance between the end points to be connected is 145km, let's say the highway is at least 130km. This makes on average more than 20km new highway per year if 2023 is to be met. Actually I don't know whether the Olt river opens some space through the mountain.
roaddor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #8962
bogdymol
bogdymod

As you already know, A1 motorway is closed on a 17 km section between Sebes and Sibiu due to the issues on 200 m where the motorway was completely demolished.

Some safety facts:
- during the 9 months when the motorway was opened (from opening day until the day when it was closed for reparation works), no major accident was recorded on the motorway or on the parallel DN1/DN7 major road
- during the last 10 months since when the motorway is closed, on the parallel major road (on which the traffic is currently diverted), there have been 17 accidents (7 persons died and 37 were injured)

Unfortunately there are no signs that this motorway section will be re-opened soon
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

BG_AT, ukraroad liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 05:14 PM   #8963
Alpin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_chaves View Post
Hi Alpin,

Do you know why is this Sudului underpass taking so many years to be completed!?
AFAIK, this is because the works were suspended for most of 2015 due to some legal issues. Apparently, the new deadline is 31.03.2017 (so almost 3 years after the groundbreaking, which took place in May 2014).

If you have a particular interest in this piece of infrastructure, here's a thread where you can follow the progress...
Alpin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #8964
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
As you already know, A1 motorway is closed on a 17 km section between Sebes and Sibiu due to the issues on 200 m where the motorway was completely demolished.

Some safety facts:
- during the 9 months when the motorway was opened (from opening day until the day when it was closed for reparation works), no major accident was recorded on the motorway or on the parallel DN1/DN7 major road
- during the last 10 months since when the motorway is closed, on the parallel major road (on which the traffic is currently diverted), there have been 17 accidents (7 persons died and 37 were injured)

Unfortunately there are no signs that this motorway section will be re-opened soon
Wow, a motorway closed after just 9 months due to construction failure...
And we think it's terrible when a 40-50 years old bridge in Italy, Germany, Belgium, etc... has some issues.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

BG_AT liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #8965
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

It was built by an Italian company who also gets the blame for the fault.
Castles and Mansions in Romania

BG_AT liked this post
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #8966
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddor View Post
I assume even 2023 could be an optimistic term, probably 2025 provided it starts in 2018 and goes smoothly afterwards. The current distance between the end points to be connected is 145km, let's say the highway is at least 130km. This makes on average more than 20km new highway per year if 2023 is to be met. Actually I don't know whether the Olt river opens some space through the mountain.
Actually, the motorway only follows the Olt river for less than half of it's lenght. Then entire Pitesti-Sibiu section is just over 100km long, because it uses a shortcut, through the Topolog and Arges valleys, bypassing Ramnicu Valcea completely (which raised some protest from the area, naturally). Three of the sections, Sibiu-Boita, Curtea de Arges-Pitesti and Tigveni-Curtea de Arges are already decided by the FS (the first two being much easier than the rest and likely finished much sooner). The other two, Boita-Racovita and Racovita-Tigveni are still being studied; it's not clear exactly where the motoeway will leave the Olt valley, there have been several variants issued in the media, to the point that everyone is confused...

Anyway, no matter how long the Olt valley section will be, that will be the hardest, due to numerous viaducts and tunnels needed to be built on unstable sloped famous for rockslides, over a very busy national road. The second worst will be the section towards Curtea de Arges, because of unstable geology and two long tunnels (the highest point on the motorway will be in one of these tunnels before Salatrucu, NOT on the Olt valley itself, which is quite low in altitude).

gr_kanev liked this post
medicu' de garda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 01:44 AM   #8967
roaddor
In the brig

What is the reason of not following the river bed as much as possible thus avoiding the complex work to bore probably some extra tunnels or the terrain along the river is not suitable and tunnels will be bored either way?
Old July 15th, 2016, 06:53 AM   #8968
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

The Olt gorge is very narrow at times, and needs constant bank reinforcement and stabilisation works to prevent landslides.
Old July 15th, 2016, 05:00 PM   #8969
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

Also, there is a large natural park where the Olt river does a large detour near Cozia. Also, following the river all the way means that the motorway will be longer and will be detoured through the unstable hilly terrain that the national road follows between Pitesti and Rm Valcea. The benefits of that are minimal. It's a lot cheaper and beneficial for the largest part of traffic to just use the shortest route along 2 other rivers, through smoother (although still unstable terrain) and just upgrade DN73C from Tigveni to Rm Valcea (a tunnel would do wonders here) to connect the city and the northern part of Oltenia beyond it.

gr_kanev liked this post
medicu' de garda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #8970
belerophon

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicu' de garda View Post
Also, there is a large natural park where the Olt river does a large detour near Cozia. Also, following the river all the way means that the motorway will be longer and will be detoured through the unstable hilly terrain that the national road follows between Pitesti and Rm Valcea. The benefits of that are minimal. It's a lot cheaper and beneficial for the largest part of traffic to just use the shortest route along 2 other rivers, through smoother (although still unstable terrain) and just upgrade DN73C from Tigveni to Rm Valcea (a tunnel would do wonders here) to connect the city and the northern part of Oltenia beyond it.
I can't tell anything about the geology for sure. And i think i told my experience about the olt valley before. I think i told, that it was even a lot of traffic (much trucks) at night. And as i am used to being overtaken even if i overspeed in romania, it was a interesting feeling to be overtaken by trucks whith trailer there. Its very curvy so you are never able to look very far. I knew romania, but not this road it was night and so on. The fun fact was, that more than half of the people tried to overtake if possible, so looking forward more of them were left than right sometimes.

I think it will be very difficult to built a motorway there without problems for the busy national road. The valley is steep, one side mountain, other side olt and its cascade of reservoirs. Even to build some temporal streets for the ongoing works will be much "fun" ....

The implications of a even short closure of this raod would be severe. I think that happened already and also was discussed. The Via Alpina is no real alternative for a huge traffic load. Its the nicest touristic route for cars in romania and beyond (hardly sugest to drive it once).

So this problems drive cost also massively. Just to built in complicated landscape is not easy. Buit it helps a lot if you have no interfering.

No matter how, this road must be built. Traffic won't shrink if the motorway on both sides is completed, and the easier sections are ready there. This would only worsen this conflicts. Better soon than later it must be done.

Drove my car everywhere except: IL, JOR
belerophon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 06:46 PM   #8971
Alpin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1948

Monthly update A3 Gilau - Nadaselu (8.7 km)

Eurocopter @ forum.peundemerg.ro

A3 Bucharest - Bucharest Ring Road

ciprebbe @ forum.peundemerg.ro

ukraroad liked this post
Alpin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2016, 07:33 AM   #8972
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

First payment invoice for Sibiu-Pitesti motorway FS , which indicates that the FS is drawing to a conclusion, hopefully by the end of the year, and that the tenders for works can be organised next year.

PS: in this expectation, there is an influx of investments in production which are looking at this motorway completion.
Romanian home appliances maker to build new facility
Ford to shift EcoSport production to Romania in 2017

roaddor liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2016, 08:33 PM   #8973
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Problems on A1 Arad - Timișoara. A 'water spring' has been detected under the motorway, but has been ignored by CNADNR which last week took responsibility of the motorway over after the two-year warranty expired.

http://www.romania-insider.com/water...ghway-romania/

The water infiltrations on the Arad-Timisoara highway were found by French company Egis, which made a technical report last year. According to the report, water has infiltrated the highway on a 100-meter segment due to a spring located in the middle of the highway, Digi 24 reports.

The problem could have been solved by changing the drainage system. However, the joint venture of Astaldi-FCC, which constructed the highway, hasn’t undertaken this change and CNADNR hasn’t asked it to make the repair.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

winnipeg liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #8974
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Guys, do you know the situation on the ferries on both sides of Danube in these two places? It looks weird that if you go from Galati or Braila to Tulcea, you have to pass through Harsova.
It would be logical to have at least these bridges tendered.
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 09:39 PM   #8975
Macio89

Likes (Received): 7

It possible to open all lots Traian Vuia - Soimus A1 to July 2017 and re-build lot Saliste - Cunta ?
Macio89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 10:49 PM   #8976
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Problems on A1 Arad - Timișoara. A 'water spring' has been detected under the motorway, but has been ignored by CNADNR which last week took responsibility of the motorway over after the two-year warranty expired.

http://www.romania-insider.com/water...ghway-romania/

The water infiltrations on the Arad-Timisoara highway were found by French company Egis, which made a technical report last year. According to the report, water has infiltrated the highway on a 100-meter segment due to a spring located in the middle of the highway, Digi 24 reports.

The problem could have been solved by changing the drainage system. However, the joint venture of Astaldi-FCC, which constructed the highway, hasn’t undertaken this change and CNADNR hasn’t asked it to make the repair.
Strangely CNADNR has noticed it ONLY when the warranty expired
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 11:37 PM   #8977
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
Guys, do you know the situation on the ferries on both sides of Danube in these two places? It looks weird that if you go from Galati or Braila to Tulcea, you have to pass through Harsova.
It would be logical to have at least these bridges tendered.
Of course we know. And it is not that weird: there is not so much trafic from Galati or Braila towards Tulcea and the ferries do their job pretty decent. Most trafic towards east of Danube goes to Constanta, so the detour south to Harsova it's usefull.

And yes, there are discussion about resolving those ferries: Galati municipality desires to build a tunnel while roumanian government wants to build a bridge north of Braila. The bridges will have to be quite tall since Danube in that area is open for maritime traffic. Curently both rpoject are under FS stage but probably only the second will be implemented (can't say when...).

Quote:
It possible to open all lots Traian Vuia - Soimus A1 to July 2017 and re-build lot Saliste - Cunta ?
Rebuild lot Saliste - Cunta is actually about 200meters. So some still hope that it will be done until september and trafic will use once again only hignway from Sibiu until Deva.

Between Traian Vuia and Soimus we will probably have some openings, but not on all lots, for sure! And most important, we will not have any opening between Margina and Holdea for quite some time (more than 3 years) since the project for tunnels in that area is not yet completed. So no tender, no construction, no opening.
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 11:38 PM   #8978
pasadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
Strangely CNADNR has noticed it ONLY when the warranty expired
Curently there is a "civil war" going on inside our CNADNR and also against some reforming guys that we have in curent govern, so many of the news that are put in mass-media are fake. This one included the situation was known and resolved so far, nothing to be worried about.

EduardSA liked this post
Old August 1st, 2016, 12:24 AM   #8979
roaddor
In the brig

What about a potential bridge at Isaccea-Kartal in the context of connecting Constanta and Odessa? There is a natural ford to cross the river there.
Old August 1st, 2016, 08:22 PM   #8980
pasadia

Slim to zero chances. Even Ukraine proposed for a highway towarda Giurgiulesti and Galati as a direct link towards Bucharest. Black Sea highway seems a far fetch project now, and i don't mind that at least because such a project should pass as far as posible from Danube Delta for enviromental reason. From my point of view Odessa should be linked with Chisinau (south of it) and from there a direct conection to Galati and Bucharest (east of it).

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania