daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2016, 11:12 PM   #8981
roaddor
In the brig

Likes (Received): 5477

Isn't the delta actually beginning east of Isaccea and mainly from the point where Danube separates into its distributaries before emptying into the Black Sea? In this regard, Isaccea is not in the protected for construction area. If a bridge is built there, no ferry will be needed which otherwise may cause more damage to the habitats around and on the other hand the distance southbound will be shortened by ~100 kms. Bucharest is in another direction which will admittedly be connected from Reni through Galati.
roaddor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2016, 11:14 PM   #8982
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

No ferry is needed now, as far as I know. So why on earth would you build something there is no need for?
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 07:55 AM   #8983
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12038

The approval of the intermodal freight port investment in Galati (road+railway) and the TEN-T bridge in Braila, along with the DX Galati-Braila-A7, answer to the infrastructure questions in the region, as well as connections from Moldova and Ukraine to Bucharest, and even further to inland Europe and Black Sea, as Galati is a maritime port and will compete with Constanta on certain segments following the construction of the terminal.

A large part of freight transportation from Moldova, Ukraine and even Russia is going through Galati/Braila mostly to Constanta. The intermodal port will take over that.
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 2nd, 2016 at 08:45 AM.
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 02:21 PM   #8984
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Where is the annual attempt to launch that vitally important Comaric-Brasov A3 PPP project.... or have I missed it?

cricric liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 04:15 PM   #8985
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Comarnic-Brasov is not a PPP after the last failure to contract the project, and it will not be carried under a mixed goverment-EU funding. The FS needs to be redone though.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:10 PM   #8986
roaddor
In the brig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
No ferry is needed now, as far as I know. So why on earth would you build something there is no need for?
It is the shortest route from Istanbul to Kiev through a bridge at Isaccea. Nobody will detour through Braila as both bridges serve different purposes and are not mutually interchangeable in this regard.
You open Constanta to this vertical road axis.
From a technical point of view it is less difficult to build that bridge at Isaccea.

Bucharest lies on another corridor. The real alternative is through another bridge at Calarasi.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 08:41 PM   #8987
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Why not a bridge here? For me it does make sense. There only has to be a DJ222N upgrade
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:16 PM   #8988
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

^ 'Cause there's a little thing called The Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve, listed on UNESCO's World Heritage List. Even paving DJ222N (or any other road in the Danube Delta) is strictly forbidden by the Romanian law.

sotonsi, EduardSA liked this post
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:49 PM   #8989
pasadia

C'mon people, try to speak about something that it is worth mention, something feasible. And document yourself about what are you speaking, don't just draw lines on a map.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:57 PM   #8990
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2268

I thought I captured a somewhat decent shot of the closed Aciliu Viaduct from distance on DN7, but a Google camera has done it better.

RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:09 AM   #8991
roaddor
In the brig

Quote:
C'mon people, try to speak about something that it is worth mention, something feasible. And document yourself about what are you speaking, don't just draw lines on a map.
It is not only worth mentioning, it is worth doing them. But as the first one is only business between Romania and Ukraine, the latter is very needed between Silistra and Calarasi to resolve the issue with the ever increasing international traffic and get it out of the cities. It will also do good for the region there.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:07 AM   #8992
kostas97

Likes (Received): 102

Is the road before and after the bridge u/c right now?
kostas97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:23 AM   #8993
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Road closed for a partial rebuild but the viaduct itself is not....or is it?????
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:11 AM   #8994
pasadia

Road is close since the is a 200m part that was demolish last year and still haven't been build back. There are hopes that next month will be open again, but that segment will still have some problems in that area (hopefully not big ones).

@roaddor: I willl ignore your messages and hopefully the same will be done by our governement. You can not start dreaming of bridges whereever you like and say that they are needed:
Bridge at Braila - fine, needed.
Another bridge over Danube between Roumania and Bulgaria - maybe, although knowing how much time will lost arguing about one or another location...
Bidge over Danube east of Galati - NEVER!!!
Old August 3rd, 2016, 03:55 PM   #8995
roaddor
In the brig

Quote:

@roaddor: I willl ignore your messages and hopefully the same will be done by our governement. You can not start dreaming of bridges whereever you like and say that they are needed:
Bridge at Braila - fine, needed.
Another bridge over Danube between Roumania and Bulgaria - maybe, although knowing how much time will lost arguing about one or another location...
Bidge over Danube east of Galati - NEVER!!!
I am afraid I have to dissappoint you and know that there are Romanians who do not share your opinion. The location of the bridges are known for a long time, don't make yourself that you are not aware of the matter. It seems, nontheless, that the authorities in Bucharest are disinterested in these connections over Danube to the south towards Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey. I could be wrong but the activities or more precisely inactivities at the highest level prove that point. Romania is busy with other projects, this is perfect but at the same time is not an excuse. Bulgaria, not me personally, need more bridges with Romania being part of EU and get the infrastructure out of the current isolation. You may not care there are more and more heavy trucks on the streets of Silistra, let alone the constant traffic jams suffocating Ruse, but we do care. The only rational solution is building new bridges, it is not that difficult as we'll share the price.

Should I remind you that when the European Commission drew the so called TEN-T corridors, it intentionally separated corridor IV to Orient East/Med (on the very same trace as cor.IV) and another Rhein/Danube in your territory, in order to reach and link Constanta with the EU network which would otherwise raise questions if only one corridor was left. However, nothing was decided south of Danube about the strategic stretch Varna-Ruse and a bridge there, by they way exiting Bulgaria and using your infrastructure all the way to Hungary.

Should I also remind you that Romania was even against the first and only new bridge (Vidin-Calafat), built on the long river border between us till nowadays? Thus leaving Sofia and Thessaloniki to make a big round because you pushed for a bridge further east at Turnu Magurele-Nikopol instead to which we did not even have a decent road at that time. (It was difficult to travel through Serbia then).
Bulgaria invested considerably more from its state budget than Romania in the construction of the bridge at Vidin-Calafat with the agreement that Romania will turn the favour when the next bridge is built. You personally sound ridiculous with a "may be statement" for a new bridge between Bulgaria and Romania. Believe me there are ways to arouse attention on the matter if necessary but why should we reach that stage?
Old August 3rd, 2016, 06:15 PM   #8996
pasadia

Man, I am upset because of your proposal about bridges between Roumania and Ukraine near or inside Danube Delta.

About bridges between Roumania and Bulgaria I could not care less. Of course I know that Roumania was wrong then, but at least they got the best of it (north branch or Corridor IV: Timisoara - Sibiu - Bucuresti - Constanta).

But your choice for a bridge north of Vidin was just as wrong (at leat) - you made a big S forcing people traveling from SE to NW to cross Danube coming form NW towards SE. That bridge should have been build between Gomotartsi and Cetate. Or south of Vidin, at Lom or, better, at Oryahovo, creating thus a direct link between Craiova and Vratsa and Sofia. And if a bridge will be build here, then Vidin - Calafat will finally be seen as what it is: a big mistake.

So another bridge between Roumania and Bulgaria: sure! It seems that you want one at the easternest point posible (Calarasi - Silistra), even if Danube is bridged over just some 90 km away at Cernavoda. And meanwhile the gap between Vidin and Ruse is over 300 km. So yes, if it will be my choosing, I would prefer a direct link between Bucharest and Sofia, somewhere around Turnu Magurele / Nikopol area. And probably just that for the moment.

Last edited by pasadia; August 4th, 2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 08:20 PM   #8997
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddor View Post
I am afraid I have to dissappoint you and know that there are Romanians who do not share your opinion. The location of the bridges are known for a long time, don't make yourself that you are not aware of the matter. It seems, nontheless, that the authorities in Bucharest are disinterested in these connections over Danube to the south towards Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey. I could be wrong but the activities or more precisely inactivities at the highest level prove that point. Romania is busy with other projects, this is perfect but at the same time is not an excuse. Bulgaria, not me personally, need more bridges with Romania being part of EU and get the infrastructure out of the current isolation. You may not care there are more and more heavy trucks on the streets of Silistra, let alone the constant traffic jams suffocating Ruse, but we do care. The only rational solution is building new bridges, it is not that difficult as we'll share the price.

I've seen this argument from Bulgarians on and on, that Romania is not interested in improving the infrastructure connections with Bulgaria. This is wrong on so many levels that I find it useless to explan but I go anyway.

First, the bridge at Vidin-Calafat. Why on earth would the EU project financing for Vidin-Calafat and put it on a EU corridor, and not ensure funding for a motorway from Sofia to Vidin and from Calafat to Arad ?! (BTW: the EU reimbursed both Romania and Bulgaria in the end for the construction costs, so it's not actually correct that BUlgaria and Romania bore the brunt of costs there). At least on the Romanian side, the motorway would have to cross the mountains, which would imply a approx 2 billion EUR cost, which is what Romania gets from the EU for infrastructure during 2014-2020, and which is obviously not enough ! So, from my point of view, it is the EU who did not do a proper job all the way. If you fund EUR 300 m for that bridge, then you should pull off EUR 3 B or more for the motorway Sofia-Vidin-Calafat-Arad (or just before Lugoj now, where the 10 km A6 motorway starts).

Second, the road from Drobeta to A6-A1-Nadlac has been upgraded and is VERY GOOD. I just drove on it, but to my surprise the traffic generally is ridiculously low on Romanian standards, and even lower on trucks. I was expecting something else, driving intesively on Craiova-Pitesti, Sibiu-Brasov, Ploiesti-Brasov, Braila-A2, nevermind DN2, Bucharest-Iasi. To my mind, E70 (Drobeta-Lugoj) is overly sufficient for the traffic now (you can do by-passes really easy), and it would be honestly and objectively one of the last priorities acording to traffic in Romania. But if you add up the cost of the motorway there, which would be in the 2 billion, it would be totally mad to basicaly leave any other motorway project aside just to build a motorway that is not warranted at all. That is why I think that the EU should've put the money where its mouth is, and find EUR 2 billion to compplement the bridge at Vidin - Calafat with a motorway thorugh the mountains connecting Sofia to the bridge and further to the A1 in Romania.

Finally, we would love to build motorways on ALL corridors, but that would cost us at least 10 times what the EU has pledged so far. And we cannot increase the budget deficit either, also because of the EU deficit limitations. That sucks and we have to deal with the limited resources.

ukraroad liked this post

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 3rd, 2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:12 PM   #8998
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

[RO] Romania | road infrastructure • autostrăzi şi drumuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
First, the bridge at Vidin-Calafat. Why on earth would the EU project financing for Vidin-Calafat and put it on a EU corridor, and not ensure funding for a motorway from Sofia to Vidin and from Calafat to Arad ?!
LeClerk, please no hypocrisy here. You know very well that not the EU, but the memberstates set the EU corridor. Both Basescu and Ponta governments were against the current 'New Europe' bridge at Calafat - Vidin. Therefore there hasn't been any funding allocated for a motorway from Calafat to Arad.

Finally, only after delivery of the New Europe bridge, the corridor has been redirected from Russe to Vidin by a Romanian government. And as you have always pleaded for, it has been redirected via Craiova. If you look at the map this is not the shortest way (therefor it is a pan-European corridor) between Dobretu Turno Severin and Calafat (road 56A), but this detour facilitates more traffic from central Romania.

To conclude: only now that the corridor has been adjusted by the Romanian government, a EU-funded feasibility study is scheduled for the road connecting Calafat with Craiova.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:05 AM   #8999
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
LeClerk, please no hypocrisy here. You know very well that not the EU, but the memberstates set the EU corridor. Both Basescu and Ponta governments were against the current 'New Europe' bridge at Calafat - Vidin. Therefore there hasn't been any funding allocated for a motorway from Calafat to Arad.

Finally, only after delivery of the New Europe bridge, the corridor has been redirected from Russe to Vidin by a Romanian government. And as you have always pleaded for, it has been redirected via Craiova. If you look at the map this is not the shortest way (therefore it is a pan-European corridor) between Dobreta Turnu Severin and Calafat (road 56A), but this detour facilitates more traffic from central Romania.

To conclude: only now that the corridor has been adjusted by the Romanian government, a EU-funded feasibility study is scheduled for the road connecting Calafat with Craiova.

Both the EU and the member states decide the corridors, because both have their economic interests, and both contribute with money. For example, the EU ****ed up the RO proposed Brasov-Comarnic motorway, which is/should be a high priority for Romania, whatever the government, because of the traffic - since it was raised up before, I will still mention my mantra.

Now, coming back to A6, and the bridge at Vidin-Calafat. Let's leave aside feelings, and look at the numbers:

Obviously, A6 motorway is not warranted by the numbers, and there are tons of other priorities that should be addressed. And that is according to the 2010 census of traffic. According to the 2015 census of traffic, DN 56A which connects Calafat to Drobeta has an average daily traffic of 4 600 vehicles, which is 3 to 4 times low what is required for a motorway (while DN1, DN2, or DN5 have a traffic of over 15 k or 11 k, and therefore should be addressed with a motorway, at least before other routes with lower traffic, which is not yet the case).

Mind you, the motorway substandard traffic between Calafat and Drobeta is after the construction of the bridge, and the consequential upgrade of E70 on the Romanian side. Which, to my mind, suggests that the bridge was not placed on the right location since it has not been able to divert traffic from other corridors, and the Romanian side was right to require a different location for the bridge. Also, the current Romanian motorway investment priorities are sensible if you look at the traffic, even though it is way too slow than it should be.

As to the rerouting of the proposed motorway A6 to Craiova, it is not only warranted by the fact that it is the only important city on the route, but looking on the traffic numbers, it is also the only city that could generate the traffic to warrant the A6 motorway (look above at the traffic generated by Craiova, which is much more than the trafic generated by the bridge).

Now, if you factor in the cost of A6, which is estimated at EUR 2 billion (roughly the amount for road infrastructure alloted by the EU to Romania 2014-2020), you come to realise that it would be mad for Romania to build a motrway where it is not needed, with all the money it has at its disposal, while abandoning routes which cause many deaths due to the high traffic which warrants a motorway.

That is why I argue that if the EU decided to place a bridge where it does not generate the needed traffic for a motorway, it should also come with the money if it wants a motorway to be build. Romania and BUlgaria should ask the EU to double their financial allocations in order to have that corridor built in the next decade. Otherwise, I do not see it built in the coming decade.

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 4th, 2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #9000
gogo3o
Bulgaria

Likes (Received): 13431

The bridge came as a necessity in the years of Yugoslavian wars and embargo. It proves to be an alternative even now and the traffic doubled since its inauguration.

It's a pity that Bulgaria is not investing much in the route to the bridge. That's a wrong decision and now it becomes ever wronger, as we are going to implement tolls for trucks in the next 2-3 years

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania