daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2016, 07:09 PM   #9041
Alpin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8166UY View Post
I like that the Lugoj-Deva road actually has 2 ecoducts close to eachother, in different vegetation. It makes the entire road look way less like a barrier for a larger amount of species. I cannot think of a road which also has this.
Maybe one of them is for carnivores and one is for herbivores?! Or, maybe, they will both have one way signs, so that together they will function as a two-way animal road?

Jokes aside, it does seem that the environment agency and/or environmental activists have been particularly active regarding this project. Just 2 km from Ecoduct #2 there will be a ~ 1.6 km tunnel, while a second, shorter tunnel will follow shortly after it. As I understand, these tunnels were added precisely because of the animal (bear) presence in the area . Initially, the Lugoj - Deva LOT 2 (28.6 km) didn't feature these tunnels. It was only after this motorway section was tendered and after the works started that the CNADNR requested and the contractor agreed to take out a ~ 3.5km stretch from the contract, so that a separate tender in which those tunnels would feature could take place. The downside is that this would considerably delay the completion of the motorway from Sibiu to the HU border and that this short stretch is expected to constitute a painful bottleneck for quite some time. As of today the tender for the tunnels has not yet been launched.

Last edited by Alpin; September 1st, 2016 at 07:18 PM.
Alpin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2016, 11:40 AM   #9042
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpin View Post
(Romanian) CNADNR has launched the tender for the bridge over the Somesul Mic river

Bridge will link the completed motorway section Gilau - Campia Turzii (52km) and U/C section Campia Turzii - Targu Mures (56,5 km), on one side, and the almost completed section Gilau - Nadaselu (8.7km) and the section Nadaselu - Mihaiesti (16,8 km, construction works are supposed to start in the coming weeks), on the other. In total, a continuous motorway length of ~ 135 m btw. Mihaiesti ( CJ county, on the border w. SJ county) and Targu Mures.
The news article reports that the bridge must be completed so that the u/c Gilau - Nadaselu section can be opened for traffic. The section is expected to be completed by the end of 2016 but the contract for building the bridge is expected to be signed in March/April 2017 and to be completed by late 2017.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016, 06:06 PM   #9043
Alpin
BANNED

UPDATE A10 (70 km)

Lot 1

Gdo & Stefan01 @ http://forum.peundemerg.ro/

MichiH, winnipeg, gogo3o, Luki_SL liked this post

Last edited by Alpin; September 4th, 2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old September 4th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #9044
Alpin
BANNED

Lot 2

"The Great Wall" (~ 2.5 km long)

gdo @ http://forum.peundemerg.ro/

winnipeg, simondanut, AlexisMD liked this post

Last edited by Alpin; September 4th, 2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old September 4th, 2016, 06:43 PM   #9045
Alpin
BANNED

Lot 3

tom @ http://forum.peundemerg.ro/
Old September 4th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #9046
Alpin
BANNED

Lot 4

alexV @ http://forum.peundemerg.ro/

winnipeg, 8166UY, Luki_SL, simondanut, AlexisMD liked this post

Last edited by Alpin; September 4th, 2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old September 4th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #9047
Alpin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The news article reports that the bridge must be completed so that the u/c Gilau - Nadaselu section can be opened for traffic. The section is expected to be completed by the end of 2016 but the contract for building the bridge is expected to be signed in March/April 2017 and to be completed by late 2017.
According to the guys in the Romanian infrastructure forum, the bridge should be completed in the summer of 2017 (hopefully at the beginning of it).
Old September 5th, 2016, 02:10 AM   #9048
Ionuty

Likes (Received): 392

Have the infrastructure works in Romania started in full force again? For a time there was complete silence, now I see a lot of images suddenly coming from different highway lots.
Ionuty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 02:31 AM   #9049
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7683

Yeah, it'd be nice to see a fresh map of whats going on (completed, U/C), not just massive amount of photos from towns most of us have never heard of
CrazySerb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 06:54 AM   #9050
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Likes (Received): 39

^ Here's the map you're searching for:
http://www.peundemerg.ro/proiecteinfrastructura.html

(Click on the various segments for extra info.)

As a sign of appreciation and respect for the Romanian moderators and a few Romanian users, I will not edit all my 4100+ messages. I dedicate all the "work" I've done with passion on SSC to these handful of users. I will only continue to read SSC and be available for these users on PM. Thank you.

CrazySerb liked this post
ionut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #9051
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

The silence was big during this spring and summer just because there where big bureaucratic problems on all undergoing project. The main problem being that there was no valid building permit for all construction site (and that was happening for lack on renew environmental agreement or lack of extra expropriations necessary to move utilities, and other stuff like that). So even if a project was 50% build, it had to be stopped so that the papers could be done; from now on no ground works will be permitted if paperwork is not up to date.
Not all projects are unlocked, but most of them are and the remain should be during this autumn.

So situation is as follows:

On A1:
1. Lugoj - Deva going strong on section between
- Traian Vuia and Margina (some people hopes that it will be open this year); Known as Lugoj - Deva lot II
- Holdea and Ilia , known as Lugoj - Deva lot III (small chances for a 2016 opening, probably will be open in summer of 2017.
- segment between Ilia and Soimus (known as Lugoj - Deva lot IV) is still in approval phase for all building permit so still no indication for dead-line (end of 2017 or 2018 if we are unlucky).
- NO tender process started for the critical segment 6 km long segment with tunnels near Holdea

2. The closed segment between Sebes and Sibiu is in big construction fever, it is said that until the end f this month it will be open.

3. On A10:
- works are undergoing on all 4 segment, but still there are some area where archaeological works are slowing down construction.

On A3 there are at least 4 areas where works should be undergoing:
4. on the 3 km long segment needed to bring A3 over Bucharest by-pass closer to the city center, ground works are just starting slow, probably there are still some paperwork due to be finish.

5. on 4 out of 5 segment, between Ungheni and Campia Turzii works started (or should be starting) in this period. Segment between Ungheni and Targu Mures should be tender once again, hopefully this year.

6. Gilau - Nadaselu segment (which will work as part of Cluj- Napoca by-pass) is getting closer to finish, but it can be used until a bridge over Somes river won't be build. Bridge was started by Bechtel some years ago, but since that contract was ended no works have been done. Tender process should start this month and maybe next year it will be over and we can used the the segment that it is almost over.

Also in that area there are hopes that soon ground works on the next segment (Nadaselu - Mihaesti) will start since contract was signed last year and paper work should be over by now.

7. Surplacu de Barcau - Bors segment is in big problem because Corsan, the winning constructor, is in big financial problems. Our government just paid this days the advance payment, o we are hopping to see ground works soon.

8. And finally the last over-due segment is Bacau by-pass, part of A7 (will be build just as half-profile for now). Ground works started but are going very slow for some reason.

MichiH, Alpin, winnipeg, ChrisZwolle, AlexisMD and 1 others liked this post
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 12:34 PM   #9052
Alpin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySerb View Post
Yeah, it'd be nice to see a fresh map of whats going on (completed, U/C), not just massive amount of photos from towns most of us have never heard of
No maps, we have nothing to be proud of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut View Post
^ Here's the map you're searching for:
http://www.peundemerg.ro/proiecteinfrastructura.html

(Click on the various segments for extra info.)
Are you Ionut from PUM? I was planning to use a map from here, but it seems that you've just removed it this morning. It was a 1 1/2 y.o. map, but with the exception of 2 sections from Arad - Nadlac and Timisoara - Lugoj which were since completed, the situation regarding the U/C sections remains unchanged . The interactive map is nice, but I think it would be useful to have an old school map posted here as well.

Last edited by Alpin; September 5th, 2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old September 6th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #9053
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Last week I drove from Arad to Bucharest via Alba Iulia. The new highways near Arad and between Deva and Alba are great. The highway from Pitesti to Bucharest could use some repavement here and there - but in general much better than the B roads as well.

I hope in a few years Romania will have a very nice road network.

What I noticed in the maps above is that there is no highway planned to Sofia - is there no trade with Bulgaria?
Old September 6th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #9054
Alpin
BANNED

I've found the map I was looking for. So yeah, other than the 2 sections in pink next to Arad and Timisoara which were since completed and the information regarding the opening years, the situation remains unchanged as of today. Pasadia explained very well the status of/the issues facing each project, so what I will do is just summarize the information on the U/C motorways to make it easier to follow.

So, U/C we have:

A1 Dumbrava - Deva (72 km)

A3 Bucharest - Bucharest Ring Road (6.5 km)

A3 Târgu Mureș - Câmpia Turzii (56.5 km)

A3 Gilău - Mihăiești (25.5 km)

A3 Suplacu de Barcău - Borș (64 km)

A7 Bacău Bypass (17 km - built at only half profile for now, for some stupid reason)

A10 Sebeș - Turda (70 km)

IN TOTAL 311.5 km

We could also add here a small section of A3 in the Brașov area, a 6.3 km motorway stretch linking Râșnov and Cristian that was tendered a while ago and the contract should be awarded soon.

So yeah, there is activity going on. If we talk about motorway projects that should be submitted for financing in the 2014 - 2020 EU financial period, however, then we are actually looking at a complete mess. We should make up our minds in regards to what motorways are going to be built, and we should do this ASAP, otherwise we risk loosing EU money.

If we talk about new projects, then Sibiu - Pitești (117 km - feasibility study should be ready early next year) is pretty much a given. Other than this, there are merely rumors in regards to what motorways are next in line to be built. Maybe someone who knows more on this stuff (Pasadia ) could give us more information.

CrazySerb liked this post

Last edited by Alpin; September 7th, 2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old September 6th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #9055
MichiH

Quote:
We could also add here a small section of A3 in the Brașov area, a 6.3 km motorway stretch linking Râșnov and Cristian that was tendered a while ago and the contract should be awarded soon.
I like the words "should" and "soon"

Nevertheless, please keep us up-to-date once the contract will be signed and when construction works will have began

Generally, the map is a little bit odd because the "planned motorways" are incomplete. Drop it or add all. For instance, A13 Sibiu - Fagaras currently has (or had?) a higher priority than A3 Targu Mures - Fagaras.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old September 6th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #9056
Alpin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I like the words "should" and "soon"
September 15 is the deadline, according to the CNADNR boss.

September 15 is also the date by which the company that's been awarded the contract for completing A3 Suplacu de Barcau - Bors should start work at optimum pace, otherwise the contract will be terminated. The parent company Corsan Corvian is in deep financial problems, and this apparently also affects its operations in Romania.

Quote:
Generally, the map is a little bit odd because the "planned motorways" are incomplete.
Absolutely. I've already mentioned in my other post that this map is 1 1/5 y.o. . It's only good in showing which motorways are U/C right now (the sections colored in red + the section colored in pink between Gilau and Mihaiesti).

Quote:
A13 Sibiu - Fagaras currently has (or had?) a higher priority than A3 Targu Mures - Fagaras.
Yes. Along with the Sibiu - Pitesti motorway, Sibiu - Fagaras is likely to be one of the next projects pushed forward. AFAIK it's one of the few (if not the only one) projects that actually has the Feasibility Study done, so it's definitely a possible choice.

Other possible choices for projects to start in the near future are A3 btw. Suplacu de Barcau and Mihaiesti (~80 km, Feasibility Study is being done right now) and A7 (which will split off of A3 south of Ploiesti near a village called Dumbrava, and will end at the RO - UA border near the town of Siret, in Romania).

On the Romanian Infrastructure forum I've also read about the possibility that the Timisoara - Serbian border motorway or the Constanta Bypass - Mangalia motorway be submitted for EU funding (2014 - 2020 EU financial period), but I can't really assess the chances of that. Then, we have the A8 Targu Mures - Iasi motorway which is vital for the Moldova region of Romania as well as for the Republic of Moldova, but this is a very expensive project and it's more of a long-term project. Same for the mountainous sections of Ploiesti - Brasov, again a very needed but very expensive project.

And you are right about Fagaras - Targu Mures, it's probably never going to be built. Since we will now have A10 (Sebes - Turda), this section is no longer needed.

Last edited by Alpin; September 6th, 2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #9057
MichiH

Quote:
September 15 is the deadline, according to the CNADNR boss.
Well, I was kidding but I'm surprised that there's really a "deadline"

Quote:
September 15 is also the date by which the company that's been awarded the contract for completing A3 Suplacu de Barcau - Bors should start work at optimum pace, otherwise the contract will be terminated.
Keep us up-to-date!

Quote:
Yes. Along with the Sibiu - Pitesti motorway, Sibiu - Fagaras is likely to be one of the next projects pushed forward. AFAIK it's one of the few (if not the only one) projects that actually has the Feasibility Study done, so it's definitely a possible choice.
I can't remember that it was posted the FS is done. Haven't heard about the project for a long time...

Quote:
And you are right about Fagaras - Targu Mures, it's probably never going to be built. Since we will now have A10 (Sebes - Turda), this section is no longer needed.
I drove both roads (MS-BV and SB-BV) last year and SB-BV seems to be much busier, especially truck traffic. Nevertheless, I would not call it "no longer needed" but I agree that there are more important projects which should be implemented first. Afterwards, wait and see how RO is developing.

btw: Dunno if I ever asked but I think that the FS is for A13 Sibiu-Fagaras only. What's about the connection Fagaras-Brasov, A3? Terrain is more difficult and the road would cost much more per km. Sure, it's wise to plan and build Sibiu-Fagaras first, but is there also a motorway FS planned?

Old September 6th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #9058
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

All FS done previous of 2012 are no longer useful since JASPERS destroyed the methodology that was applied (and since the old FS were pretty much done in the office, with no visit on the ground, so pretty much all the trouble he had building up highways come from that).

But there is one big exception: FS for Bechtel Transilvania Highway. It seems that that FS is pretty good, so all the works that were carried on after Bechtel (Gilau - Mihaesti, Targu Mures - Campia Turzii) are done on the same FS. So probably that will happen also for the section between Brasov and Fagaras.

Only side note is that I'm not so sure about CNADNR priorities. I pretty much fear that Pitesti - Sibiu will be the last project in Transilvania as public pression is directed towards other geografic area (Bucharest ring, Pitesti - Craiova, Ploiesti - Bacau - Iasi, etc..). So I doubt very much that any other project in Transylvania will be started... no Sibiu - Fagaras - Brasov, probably no Mihaiesti - Zalau - Surplacu de Barcau. Only exception could be Targu Mures - Iasi, but that project is too big right now for us to handle. I suppose that only after Pitesti - Sibiu will be over we will have the capabilities to start another "over the mountain" project.

As for official information: contract for FS between Sibiu and Fagaras is suspended for one year since last november.
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 02:28 AM   #9059
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
Only side note is that I'm not so sure about CNADNR priorities.
The only obvious priority is not to build any Motorway across the Carpathians in the middle of Romania but to have consultations and studies and reports and then more of them consultations and studies and reports on these motorways instead. Consultants are happy with that sort of inertia. They make lots of money writing up these reports and then they write another report for lots of money the next year, etc.

Poland finishes off around 0.5 x The Entire Romanian Motorway network every single year nowadays but luckily for them Poland is flat.

winnipeg, MichiH liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #9060
AlexAllex

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
A7 Bacău Bypass (30 km - built at only half profile for now, for some stupid reason)
Only 17 km from Bacau Bypass will be part from A7 and will be build as half-profile. The other 13 km will be simple one band/way roads.
AlexAllex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania