daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #9561
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1164

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post

[COLOR=brown]A10: Turda (A3) – Decea 16.8km was suppose to be over in November and both of them to be open in late November / early December.
[COLOR=black]But on this site was an landslide mentioned by rudiwien on september 20 and now it is not sure that an opening this year is possible.

A new video from that lot, from October 4th, courtesy of API

Looks like still quite some work to do, so I guess they also need favourable weather, if they want to still open it this year...

And one more video from parts of lots 2 and 1:

tigerleapgorge, Nowax, SRC_100 liked this post
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #9562
lampsakos21

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
If you are talking about A6, that is the case indeed. And probably Serbia will join the EU before Romania even starts works on that motorway (if we consider 2020-2025 as time-frame), looking at current priorities. Actually, the fact that Serbia is joining the EU makes that alternative so much less attractive for Balkan freight traffic and thus EU financing. Even so much less attractive considering the fact that is damn money gobbling - it will be easy over EUR 3 billion because it goes over mountains again for quite a distance.

Serbia will join EU around 2021-2022 according my estimation
lampsakos21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:38 AM   #9563
sułły
BANNED

Likes (Received): 258

A10 Lot 3 (12.45 km). Almost there...

Credit: Asociația Pro Infrastructură.

AlexisMD, Luki_SL liked this post
sułły no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #9564
sułły
BANNED

Searching for the airport

https://www.oradesibiu.ro/2017/10/09...iu-si-saliste/
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:04 AM   #9565
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

See how infrastructure development destroys natural habitat? Where the tunnel?! WHERE IS THE TUNNEL??

Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #9566
sułły
BANNED

A3 near Bucharest (Popasului St - Petricani St)

API

Luki_SL, EduardSA, Le Clerk liked this post
Old October 16th, 2017, 11:19 AM   #9567
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

A12 tender results any time these days hopefully.

Diesel engine constructor moves production from UK to Romania

Quote:
Cummins, the largest independent diesel engine manufacturer in the world, wants to relocate its entire production from the UK to Dolj county, in Southern Romania.

Brexit is the reason for the transfer, Craiova mayor Mihail Genoiu said, reports local Profit.ro. The company has notified the Craiova City Hall about its intentions.

Cummins already has a subsidiary in Craiova, the same city where American carmaker Ford has its local factory. The group’s local subsidiary Cummins Generator Technologies Romania has 577 employees. It recorded a turnover of RON 303.9 million (EUR 66.2 million) last year. Its net profit reached RON 39.1 million (EUR 8.5 million).

The subsidiary was set up as a joint venture between AvK and Electroputere Craiova.

Cummins is registered in the US and was created through the merger between the German company AvK and the British firm Newage (Northern Electric Wireless and General Engineering Company). The group has some 55,000 employees worldwide.
Old October 17th, 2017, 12:37 PM   #9568
sułły
BANNED

Tender for an additional 55km of A3 to be launched by the end of this year

Quote:
3A2 + 3B1 Nădășelu - Mihăiești + Mihăiești – Zimbor (16.8 km + 13.26 km)

3B2 Zimbor - Poarta Sălajului (12.24 km)

3B5 Nușfalău - Suplacu de Barcău (13.55 km)

This adds to the 60 km section of A3 (Suplacu de Barcău – Borș) for which the tender was launched just over a month ago, deadline for submitting offers Nov 20.

Quote:
3C1: Suplacu de Barcau - Chiribis (26.35km)

3C2: Chiribis - Biharia (28.55km)

3C3: Biharia - Bors (5.35km)

SRC_100, EduardSA liked this post
Old October 17th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #9569
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Romania starts looking into solutions to modernize famous high-altitude road

Quote:
The National Road Infrastructure Administration Company (CNAIR) is set to launch by year-end the auction for the feasibility study and the technical project for the modernization and upgrade of Romania’s high-altitude road Transfagarasan, Transport Times reported.

Transfagarasan is part of several roads that will undergo upgrades in the 2014 – 2020 period, according to Romania’s General Transport Masterplan.

So far, CNAIR has finished drafting the documents needed for the launch of the public acquisition procedure for the feasibility study. The procedure should start by the end of 2017.

The Transfagarasan became famous worldwide after the famous British auto show Top Gear filmed an episode on it in 2009. Former Top Gear star Jeremy Clarkson called it at that time “the best road in the world”.
Scope is to upgrade it with snow shields in order to keep it opened the whole year.

EduardSA liked this post

Last edited by Le Clerk; October 17th, 2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old October 17th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #9570
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Two offers were submitted for the construction of the Braila Danube Bridge

1. Asocierea Astaldi SpA (Italia) – IHI Infrastructure Systems Co. Ltd. (Japonia)

2. Asocierea China Communication Construction Company Ltd (China) – China Road and Bridge Corporation (China) – Eptisa Servicios de Ingenieria SL (Spania)– Euro Construct Trading '98 SRL (Romania)– CCCC Second Harbour Engineering Co Ltd (China)- CCCC Highway Consults Co Ltd (China)

http://www.economica.net/doua-oferte..._142354.html#n

Unofficially, the Italians&Japanese submitted the lowest price and should win the tender.
Old October 17th, 2017, 07:35 PM   #9571
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Romania starts looking into solutions to modernize famous high-altitude road

Scope is to upgrade it with snow shields in order to keep it opened the whole year.
just curious...
how the country which has a lot of challenges (problems) with building even the primary backbone of motorways will put enough efforts to have this road passable 12 month a year. isn't it a kind of news for kindergarten representatives ?

mihai5 liked this post
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #9572
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Actually, that road should become an alternative to DN1 once construction on Pitesti-Sibiu will commence (and last realistically for almost a decade), thus allowing for an additionally route for traffic to the busy DN1 that will be loaded with construction machinery. So not "kindergarden" at all.
Old October 17th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #9573
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

I think it's design & build though...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #9574
sułły
BANNED

Yeah, that's right. Basically, according to the plan, by the end of this year, the only piece between Târgu Mureș and the border with Hungary (Borș) that won't be completed, U/C nor tendered will be this stretch right here.

According to API sources, Strabag has won the contract for Târgu Mureș - Ogra Lot 1 (4.5km + 4.7km connection road). Strabag is also building lot 2 of this section, which is U/C right now.

Last edited by sułły; October 17th, 2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old October 17th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #9575
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
just curious...
how the country which has a lot of challenges (problems) with building even the primary backbone of motorways will put enough efforts to have this road passable 12 month a year. isn't it a kind of news for kindergarten representatives ?
Quote:
Actually, that road should become an alternative to DN1 once construction on Pitesti-Sibiu will commence (and last realistically for almost a decade), thus allowing for an additionally route for traffic to the busy DN1 that will be loaded with construction machinery. So not "kindergarden" at all.

I think first of all, you mean alternative to DN7, not DN1.

But anyhow, I think even a kindergarden kid would consider such an idea bollocks...

- First of all, even if you have some kind of snow shields, with the highest part of the road being above 2,0000 meters, I see it highly unfeasible to keep this road open with reasonable effort. It is no surprise that currently the road, as many high-altitude scenic roads in Europe, only opens around June. Even if snow shields prevent additional snow to be blown on the road, you still have to clear the snow actually fallen from the sky. Only an avalanche gallery (tunnel) would really help with that, but you can't really build that along the entire stretch..
And well, you shouldn't, it would ruin the beauty of the current road & nature.

- Granted, I have only driven the road twice, but it doesn't strike me as a road made for through traffic, given the big amounts of leisure drivers in the summer months, even non weekends (I drove it once on a Monday), with their rather frequent stopping, parked half in the road, to get out and take a look/selfie. And that is just on top of the geometry of the road, with a climb of 1.500m from both sides, with very winding and narrow passages.
So I'd think the additional capacity gain might be very small. And from any environmental point of view, you likely don't want transit traffic there anyhow...

and802, sułły, pasadia, simondanut, bogdymol and 2 others liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; October 18th, 2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old October 19th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #9576
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

You all remove from sight the fact that Transfagarasan was meant from its inception as a freight route, and not a touristic route - history of the road has been posted before here. That we enjoy it now as mainly a touristic route is because it is scenic but this does not change the road's initial scope !

Second, this is not the only alpine road that was built NOT with touristic goals in mind in Romania, and which were upgraded in the past decade. And I was going to write about that... TransBucegi, Transalpina are all transport alternatives.

Transbucegi for example is becoming a real alternative to DN1. Just look at the map. And consider that it takes ussually 2 hours to go from Comarnic to Sinaia on a ussual Friday-Sunday period. For 17 km !! Which makes Transbucegi not only a logical option, but the only one sane !

I will get back on Transfagarasan and Transalpina on the same argument.

PS: on top of the traffic above on DN1, add traffic caused by works on the motorway !!!
Old October 19th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #9577
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

BTW:

World Bank could finance Ploiesti-Brasov highway

Quote:
The World Bank could support the construction of the Ploiesti-Brasov highway, finance minister Ionut Misa said yesterday.

He met in Washington with World Bank vice president Cyril Muller. They talked about granting financing to the Ploiesti-Brasov highway.

“The bank has stated its support, and will start its first technical mission on October 30,” Misa said.

The World Bank will also get involved, together with other international financial institutions, in the eight regional hospitals that Romanian authorities consider a priority, the minister added.

The World Bank has agreed to manage the construction of the Ploiesti-Brasov highway together with the Romanian authorities, the new EU funds minister Marius Nica said. “Following the talks we have had over the past six months, we have convinced the World Bank to give us the support and jointly manage the Ploiesti-Brasov highway project.”
Old October 20th, 2017, 11:17 AM   #9578
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

I really have no wrods to describe how utterly wrong LeClerk is. Yes, there is an urban myth that Transfagarasan was build as a strategic road, military wise, but I guess that could be right only if we are in 19th century.

No one is considering Transfagarasan as an alternative, not even when DN7 (Olt valley sector) is jammed because of car accidents. The other one that he is mentioning, Trnasbucegi, is not even a transit road as it ENDS on Bucegi plateau at 2000m above sea level. You can go down only to return to the same spot from where you were leaving. So...

He will argue next that Transalpina could be used as a transit road - and yes, this road is in use for this purpose because DN66 between Petrosani and Targu Jiu (Jiu valley sector) is undergoing repairs since 3-4 years ago. But when works will be over (which almost there are), no one will use Translapina other than tourist.

And finally, yes, I don't think that Transfagaras should be going under such modernisation that will make it possible to be open 12 month/year. Even if it is technological possible, the cost of investment and the final impact on environment and scenery should be reasons enough to stop this project.
Old October 20th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #9579
rudiwien

Quote:
You all remove from sight the fact that Transfagarasan was meant from its inception as a freight route, and not a touristic route - history of the road has been posted before here. That we enjoy it now as mainly a touristic route is because it is scenic but this does not change the road's initial scope !

I heard that it was primarily argued for military purposes; whether that is true or not, it is a very different story than transit traffic anyhow.

And it doesn't really matter what it was meant for - it matters what it is now, and what capacity it has. And by that, I still don't think that a high-alpine mountain pass road can be a viable alternative for a (yes, busy) DN7, which runs in a valley. And especially, it can't become an alternative for larger vehicles.

Quote:
Second, this is not the only alpine road that was built NOT with touristic goals in mind in Romania, and which were upgraded in the past decade. And I was going to write about that... TransBucegi, Transalpina are all transport alternatives.

Transbucegi for example is becoming a real alternative to DN1. Just look at the map. And consider that it takes ussually 2 hours to go from Comarnic to Sinaia on a ussual Friday-Sunday period. For 17 km !! Which makes Transbucegi not only a logical option, but the only one sane !

I have only driven DN73, not the road that you mention, so I know that only from youtube videos :-) But thanks for the mention, I will put it on my driving list for next year! Though it seems that your route actually doesn't include what Internet resources call TransBucegi (e.g. http://romaniatourism.com/scenic-dri...ansbucegi.html)

Anyhow, I don't think the roads you indicated in your Google Maps screenshot are comparable to Transfagarasan in incline and road geometry, they seem less difficult (again, just judging partially based on streetview and similar sources). But still, also these roads seem to me viable in a non-urban rat-running style, when a limited number of people use them when the primary connection is jammed - but it's not an alternative that can take a larger amount of vehicles, each narrow passage and turn will become a bottleneck. Especially for heavy vehicles...

Quote:
PS: on top of the traffic above on DN1, add traffic caused by works on the motorway !!!

I am still not sure - you really mean Transfagarasan as an alternative to DN1, or to DN7 ?

How much traffic a motorway construction really creates is mainly due to how much materials need to be transported there, and how much roads specifically built to aid the construction they can use. If resources and material for earthworks and concreting are available locally, the effect can be quite minimized, and only special transports such as machinery will have a wider impact.

sułły liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; October 22nd, 2017 at 01:13 AM.
Old October 20th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #9580
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

A Transfagarasan 'upgrade' is but the craziest fantasy project on top of a loooooiong line of fantasy 'urgent' 'imminent' plans for Romania kited in here by the fantasist in chief.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania