daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2010, 01:14 PM   #1501
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12038

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocopter View Post
You can easily delete everything else than A1,A2 and A3.
Constanta by-pass currently U/C (22 km) is now A4, though it's more or less part of A2. But probably they are thinking about expanding it in the South into a longer motorway section so that's why they gave it a distinct number.

BTW: Some June updates:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut View Post
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:59 PM   #1502
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
The Calafat-Craiova motorway is part of Corridor IV Southern Romanian Section (Timisoara-Calafat) which is going to be financed by the EU during the 2014-2020 budgetary cycle, together with the adjacent high-speed railway. There are no plans until 2014 for this section.
I know about the schedule, but allow me to be very, very skeptic.

Quote:
BTW: I thought they were going to upgrade the railway in between Calafat and Craiova as well?
Read here.
Sorry, it's in Romanian, but bottom line: only plans, nothing solid. A translation using Google Translate can be found here.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:49 AM   #1503
MarianRO
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Nice road
MarianRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:25 PM   #1504
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

10.5 km of A3 near Cluj to be opened in October.

Some pics at asphalt stage:

Quote:
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #1505
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

And another good news - asphalt pouring on A1 in between Arad and Timisoara:

Quote:
Old August 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #1506
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Likes (Received): 39

More nice pictures from Arad-Timisoara Motorway (A1) on Pan-European Corridor IV from Adevarul.

(32 km, deadline late 2011.)

Godspeed!

As a sign of appreciation and respect for the Romanian moderators and a few Romanian users, I will not edit all my 4100+ messages. I dedicate all the "work" I've done with passion on SSC to these handful of users. I will only continue to read SSC and be available for these users on PM. Thank you.
ionut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #1507
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Cool, even MORE pics from Arad-Timisoara from Adevarul.

As a sign of appreciation and respect for the Romanian moderators and a few Romanian users, I will not edit all my 4100+ messages. I dedicate all the "work" I've done with passion on SSC to these handful of users. I will only continue to read SSC and be available for these users on PM. Thank you.
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #1508
seszele

Likes (Received): 1142

Quote:
Cool, even MORE pics from Arad-Timisoara from Adevarul.

What a lonely guy here

But seriously is it really resonable to build two parallel motorways(A1 & A3) across your big country simultanously? I've travelled across Romania 3 times and my small experience gathered there tells me that with one motorway opened all transit heavy traffic(well most of it) would go there and another road could be just well maintained 2+1 road with reasonable traffic density.Cause it is so expensive target to achieve and there are many other areas (like south to Bulgaria) where motorway could ease the actual road condition.
Don't get me wrong Romanian fiends, only asking your comment
seszele no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #1509
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

A1 and A3 are hundreds of kilometers apart. It's like saying in Poland: "we don't need A4, because we have A2". Not all traffic is driving all the way from Hungary to Bucharest.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #1510
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by seszele View Post
But seriously is it really resonable to build two parallel motorways(A1 & A3) across your big country simultanously?
Well, yes and no. The truth is that we DESPERATELY need both. There is HEAVY traffic on both A1 and A3.

The problem is funding. We can finance A1 from EU funds... but this is not the case for A3 (A3 is 100% financed from the state budget and we officially ran out of money for A3 starting 2010).

So we need both but we don't have enough money to build them. There is a lot of debate on SSC (Romanian threads) about the new motorways to be built in RO. Eh, complicated, a lot to discuss and debate, actually.

Old August 4th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #1511
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Because I don't feel like working, I've decided to search for new photos on cnadnr.ro. And... I've found some!

A3 Bucuresti-Ploiesti section Moara Vlasiei-Ploiesti (43 km)
It seems that there are new pics from May-June-July 2010!

source
The rest of the pictures on the cnadnr.ro site are old, I think.

Enjoy and dream about 2012, the new deadline.

Old August 4th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1512
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Wow! Awesome progress! They could've opened it this year should it not be for the floods! I think they can still open it in 2011 rather than 2012, if there will be enough money! They actually said either 2011 or 2012, depending on the money available. Most of the structural work are actually close to completion.
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #1513
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Well, yes and no. The truth is that we DESPERATELY need both. There is HEAVY traffic on both A1 and A3.

The problem is funding. We can finance A1 from EU funds... but this is not the case for A3 (A3 is 100% financed from the state budget and we officially ran out of money for A3 starting 2010).

So we need both but we don't have enough money to build them. There is a lot of debate on SSC (Romanian threads) about the new motorways to be built in RO. Eh, complicated, a lot to discuss and debate, actually.
I talked with a friend who drove from Tg. Mures to Cluj - same route as future A3: the road is in an excellent condition but very low traffic. Maybe traffic will increase but more important IMO is Brasov-Bucharest link because it is currently the road section with most traffic ever in Romania! A3 is important but it's not timely. They should've finished C IV first, because A3 sucks too much money!
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #1514
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
In my opinion, A3 should be eligible for EU-funding. It carries E-routes and is an important link in Southeastern Europe. It's not uncommon to find projects 80% financed by EU, so if EU would be to co-finance it Romania should be able to complete A3 rather quickly.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #1515
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
What a lonely guy here

But seriously is it really resonable to build two parallel motorways(A1 & A3) across your big country simultanously? I've travelled across Romania 3 times and my small experience gathered there tells me that with one motorway opened all transit heavy traffic(well most of it) would go there and another road could be just well maintained 2+1 road with reasonable traffic density.Cause it is so expensive target to achieve and there are many other areas (like south to Bulgaria) where motorway could ease the actual road condition.
Don't get me wrong Romanian fiends, only asking your comment
Well, you are right. The Government went for A3 in times when the economy was booming, and now there is no more money to build it and worst of all, it sucks money from other EU funded projects. A3 is needed but less than A1 and A2. In the current economic conditions, we need to focus on completing Corridor IV. Probably A3 will be put off for a while in the coming period, unless the economy is really starting to kick again next year.
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1516
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In my opinion, A3 should be eligible for EU-funding. It carries E-routes and is an important link in Southeastern Europe. It's not uncommon to find projects 80% financed by EU, so if EU would be to co-finance it Romania should be able to complete A3 rather quickly.
I hope you are right but I somehow doubt it. And the reason is because A3 (Transylvania Motorway section of it) was awarded without a tender to American company Bechtel, for political reasons. Though Bechtel is doing a good job technically speaking and they are moving fast when paid, this might prevent any EU funding. Actually the Commission was not very pleased of the contract at the moment of signing (2004). This really makes it difficult to get any funding for this section.

In any case, EU is going to fund the southern section of Corridor IV during 2014-2020 budgetary year, which is going to be really useful! If Romania manages to convince the EU to fund A5 (Bucharest-Albita) part of Corridor IX, then it will be really a blast. Or the former A 4 (Tg Mures-Iasi) which is currently under feasibility studies, it would be even better!

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 4th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #1517
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

A nice video about the 13 km long Ploiesti west express by-pass (completed last year) made while riding a motorbike:

Old August 4th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #1518
seszele

Likes (Received): 1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A1 and A3 are hundreds of kilometers apart. It's like saying in Poland: "we don't need A4, because we have A2". Not all traffic is driving all the way from Hungary to Bucharest.
I am aware of the distance, but note that sometimes they go much closer than hundreds-->82km between Turda and Sebeş for example.
My point was not if A3 is necessary or not, but how to use monies best way till 2014. Also the traffic from my experience was not only HU to Bucarest, it was generally North and Central Europe to South Europe and Turkey-many, many trucks playing lots of crazy tricks with high mountains around and many curves passing is not recommended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk

Well, you are right. The Government went for A3 in times when the economy was booming, and now there is no more money to build it and worst of all, it sucks money from other EU funded projects. A3 is needed but less than A1 and A2. In the current economic conditions, we need to focus on completing Corridor IV. Probably A3 will be put off for a while in the coming period, unless the economy is really starting to kick again next year.
Exactly what I thought. Even more when Romania may get EU money for A1 then better use it on 70/30 (EU/RO) or even 50/50 ratio than to spend it for 100% financing of Bechtel company. But probably to stop contract with this company and wait for 2014 is also not that easy, is it?
And frankly I do not think that European economy will recover so easily, but that is not the topic here actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut

Problem is always funding..

You need them both, but building both same time will consume much more effort and will take longer than finishing A1(or A3 maybe) & making only the most important parts of the other untill all financing is prepared(best by EU )
So maybe better to put full energy for EU finnanced projects and keep others for good times.
seszele no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #1519
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Quote:
So maybe better to put full energy for EU finnanced projects and keep others for good times.
That's exactly the decision our Gov took. However, it's not that simple, because of the contract RO has with A3 constructor, Bechtel. We simply cannot just cancel that contract... far too complicated to explain right now. So "we're stuck with the A3 contract" (from Brasov to Bors) also called "Transilvania Motorway" (http://www.autostradatransilvania.ro).

Bechtel and our Gov will (probably) meet in a few days (Aug 15th) and decide a plan for the works and... JUST MAYBE... figure out how to finance the project. Personally, I don't think the Americans will accept anything less that 100% state financed. But I hope I'm wrong.

Old August 5th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #1520
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
I am aware of the distance, but note that sometimes they go much closer than hundreds-->82km between Turda and Sebeş for example.
My point was not if A3 is necessary or not, but how to use monies best way till 2014. Also the traffic from my experience was not only HU to Bucarest, it was generally North and Central Europe to South Europe and Turkey-many, many trucks playing lots of crazy tricks with high mountains around and many curves passing is not recommended
That's exactly what many people here think in the aftermath of this crisis, which has really stretched the infrastructure budgets to the extent that Transilvania Motorway has become almost unfundable without taking money from other projects. The good thing though is that Bechtel accepts to finance its own works (some kind of an ad-hoc PPP which is in fact good for Romania) and therefore the government ussually pays a year later.

Quote:
Exactly what I thought. Even more when Romania may get EU money for A1 then better use it on 70/30 (EU/RO) or even 50/50 ratio than to spend it for 100% financing of Bechtel company. But probably to stop contract with this company and wait for 2014 is also not that easy, is it?
I don't think it's an option to terminate this contract not only for the damages the Romanian Government would have to pay to Bechtel (Bechtel didn't breach the contract, they are doing a good job, but the RO Gov doesn't pay them in due time because there is little money for this project), but also because signing another contract there would delay the project very much and it's not sure the price will be lower. And in the end, the costs of termination, recontracting etc could be higher than current construction costs. Plus that I do not think the Commission would want to finance it even if a tender procedure would be organized for the terminated sections, since it's not part of any European Corridor, and, as you noticed, it kinda runs parallel to Corridor IV Romanian section.

Quote:
And frankly I do not think that European economy will recover so easily, but that is not the topic here actually.
Yes, but the Government now is running some restructuring of the state budgets in order to reduce the public sector expenditure and increase investment expenditure, so hopefully next year there will be more money for investments.

Quote:
You need them both, but building both same time will consume much more effort and will take longer than finishing A1(or A3 maybe) & making only the most important parts of the other untill all financing is prepared(best by EU )
As Ionut said, the Government has given up funding another part of Transilvania Motorway which could've been completed this year (about 60 km instead of 10 km now). It also gave up another section of A3, just north of Bucharest (another 60 km also due for opening this year) also for the same reasons. But my feeling is that the Gov will try to resume works for these sections next year. Transilvania Motorway will make real sense when Bucharest Brasov will be completed and a lot of traffic generated by Bucharest will be transferred from Corridor IV to A3, because even now Bucharest-Brasov road is the most trafficked in Romania due to tourism and economic exchanges. Until then, it will remain a motorway without important traffic.

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 5th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania