daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #1621
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

The North section (green) is now U/C. The south section is in tender procedures and works will start next year:

The section in between the two X (21 km) will be completed and opened by the end of the year.
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 26th, 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #1622
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
Vectra seems ok too, they are moving fast. Plus, they have a very short section of the bypass to build and the terrain is flat, no obstacles at all.
So let's hope that stretch of motorway will be ready for real in December, and I will be very grateful to finally bypass Sibiu.
Nice to see you're optimistic.

As a sign of appreciation and respect for the Romanian moderators and a few Romanian users, I will not edit all my 4100+ messages. I dedicate all the "work" I've done with passion on SSC to these handful of users. I will only continue to read SSC and be available for these users on PM. Thank you.
ionut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #1623
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
The North section (green) is now U/C. The south section is in tender procedures and works will start next year:
The south section has finished tenders and constructors are selected for over a year, construction haven't started because lack of money, while tenders are to be organized for sections between the "x" marks and the A1 and A2 respectively, on the northern part.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #1624
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
The south section has finished tenders and constructors are selected for over a year, construction haven't started because lack of money, while tenders are to be organized for sections between the "x" marks and the A1 and A2 respectively, on the northern part.
OK. Thanks. I must have mixed things up at that.
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #1625
tanashubav

Likes (Received): 1977

My opinion is that 2x2 are not enough! This have to be some short therm desision! I think even now this ring road should be at least 3x3 lanes! Sofia being two times smaller than Bucharest is building 3x3 direct lanes plus some 2 local in each direction.
tanashubav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #1626
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanashubav View Post
My opinion is that 2x2 are not enough! This have to be some short therm desision! I think even now this ring road should be at least 3x3 lanes! Sofia being two times smaller than Bucharest is building 3x3 direct lanes plus some 2 local in each direction.
They are widening the current bypass road of Bucharest to 2x2, but the government has plans (but no money) for a circular motorway further away from the city. Even if that one would be built at 2x2, Bucharest would have 2 bypasses at high standards.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #1627
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanashubav View Post
My opinion is that 2x2 are not enough! This have to be some short therm desision! I think even now this ring road should be at least 3x3 lanes!
You are right, but Bucharest's ringroad development has been delayed for other projects around the country and they only recently (2 years ago) started working on the ringroad.

As Bogdy mentioned, there are plans for a full-motorway ring around Bucharest (100 km long) which will take the transit out of Bucharest and out of the existing ring. In addition, after the current expansion to 2x2 express, another expansion will follow to 2x3 express IMO. Until then, traffic will still be problematic around Bucharest.
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #1628
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

It should also be noted the Bucharest ring road is further from the city than the 2x3 part of the Sofia ring road.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #1629
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It should also be noted the Bucharest ring road is further from the city than the 2x3 part of the Sofia ring road.
Legally speaking, in most places the ring is the limit of Bucharest city, but realistically the ring is already an inner ring, the Bucharest industrial, office and residential areas expanding well beyond the ring. The current Bucharest Metro area (yet to be approved by the Government) is 10x the current size of Bucharest:

These areas are where most businesses reside and where an important part of the population lives. The second motorway will cover these areas:

Not to mention that the current mayor plans a second motorway ring, an urban one, but this is not to be trusted a lot

The funny thing is that there are news that works will be started soon for this motorway, but even I do not believe it.

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 28th, 2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #1630
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Good observation Chris. Sofia's Southern, Eastern and Western Ring Road are almost completely part of the city body. The Northern tangent is planned to be "conquered" also.

Anyway, back to Bucharest Motorway. Could you possibly tell me what the speed limit will be on your new motorway? Will be an urban motorway(80kmh) since there are a lot of urbanised areas around or will it be a full motorway(130kmh)?
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #1631
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhirgataZFs1694 View Post
Good observation Chris.
I keep telling this ring is in the city proper for large sections but nobody wants to listen to me!

Quote:
Anyway, back to Bucharest Motorway. Could you possibly tell me what the speed limit will be on your new motorway? Will be an urban motorway(80kmh) since there are a lot of urbanised areas around or will it be a full motorway(130kmh)?
I think it will have the normal speed limit for roads outside urban areas - 90 km/h.
Old August 28th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #1632
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
I keep telling this ring is in the city proper for large sections but nobody wants to listen to me! .
Well, technically, you're right, however most of the CB is outside the main continuous urbanized area. There seems to be some ribbon-style development along CB, but it's not continuously connected to the Bucharest urbanized area.

The Sofia ring road is, especially in its western and southern section, inside the build-up area. However, it makes a weird arc to the north which is pretty far from the urban area (maybe even further than the CB in Bucharest).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1633
PhirgataZFs1694

Quote:
I keep telling this ring is in the city proper for large sections but nobody wants to listen to me!

I think it will have the normal speed limit for roads outside urban areas - 90 km/h.
Therefore,IMHO you are making a huge mistake building only a 2x2 motorway. It will be jammed in no time.
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #1634
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Therefore,IMHO you are making a huge mistake building only a 2x2 motorway. It will be jammed in no time.
It was almost impossible to enlarge the ring further, as the expropriations would have costed a lot much and many buildings should have been demolished. For a few years, till we will build a second motorway ring, 2+2 will be sufficient, as all intersections will be 2-level ones. The main problem at the current 1+1 ring are exactly these intersections, where you have to give way to the ones passing on perpendicular roads.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #1635
Skynick

Likes (Received): 54

Update on works on Bucharest ring August 2010

First segment between DN1A and DN1 (two major overpasses on both ends are under construction)

Second segment between DN1 and Sos Tunari - the overpass at sos Tunari is pretty advanced but the most complex work site is the railway overpass.

Third segement between Sos Tunari and Stefanesti is almost completed, the Stefanesti overpass being advanced (also showed in the pictures above.

The last segment Stefanesti - DN2 is almost completed.

Last edited by Skynick; August 28th, 2010 at 09:01 PM.
Skynick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #1636
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
It was almost impossible to enlarge the ring further, as the expropriations would have costed a lot much and many buildings should have been demolished. For a few years, till we will build a second motorway ring, 2+2 will be sufficient, as all intersections will be 2-level ones. The main problem at the current 1+1 ring are exactly these intersections, where you have to give way to the ones passing on perpendicular roads.
I agree. Actually, what was badly needed for CB was grade separated intersections. Maybe they'll expand it to 2x3 in the future, but when the motorway ring will be built, the transit traffic will go away from the existing ring, thus making more room for the Bucharest commuters only.

IMO, the next step should be the motorway ring.

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 28th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #1637
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Well, technically, you're right, however most of the CB is outside the main continuous urbanized area. There seems to be some ribbon-style development along CB, but it's not continuously connected to the Bucharest urbanized area.

The Sofia ring road is, especially in its western and southern section, inside the build-up area. However, it makes a weird arc to the north which is pretty far from the urban area (maybe even further than the CB in Bucharest).
Well, there are many forests and lakes around Bucharest and those are areas that appear as non-built, and there are indeed non-compact developments. But many communes and towns around Bucharest where people and businesses reside are beyond the current ring. For example, Voluntari township (NW Bucharest), which is beyond the ring and which has seen a huge development in the past and growth from 10,000 to 50,000 people, is now in Bucharest proper legally after a referendum held in 2008. The same happens with many other communes and towns around Bucharest who are beyond the capital ring, but will be sucked into the city soon.

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 28th, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #1638
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
We all wanted a 2x3 express way, but as Panda mentioned, the expropriation costs would have delayed it even more which was not an option.

There may be jams in the future, but I think the fact that there will be no more intersections will significantly streamline the traffic there.
Old August 28th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #1639
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Basarab Overpass - new pictures from the piers (90 m high):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut View Post
Panorame SUPERBE, august, de la Marian Andrei, normal.
Din pilonii podului hobanat, vedere spre Grozavesti (in departare se vede podul in arc peste Dambovita).

sursa

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 28th, 2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #1640
PhirgataZFs1694

Quote:
I understand. Expropriation costs are also causing Sofia's Ring road to advance as fast as a snail. Maybe building two parallel ring roads was calculated to be cheaper. Besides the videos posted by Skynick(Thank you Skynick!) showed me another reason why it is not 2x3-Bucharest's ring railway. Btw, isn`t it used? I didn't see a single train.

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania