daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #1721
KaaRoy

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Google Maps is edited by their employees, to add some new roads or realign existing ones (probably based on imagery, sometimes it's off).
The feature is called Map Maker.

http://maps.google.com/support/bin/s...cs&guide=30028

Apparently, in areas where Google do not have good maps, they have enabled editing by users, OpenStreetMap style.

Romania is included, along with Serbia, Moldova, Macedonia etc. Anything west of that is not editable, since I guess they have good data they do not want you to mess with.
KaaRoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #1722
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

You are probably right. In any case, this is my Google Maps account, featuring the "Editaţi" (Edit) button; and I'm a simple user, not a Google employee. I draw myself many of my hometown's streets, but I was checked several times by a foreign supervisor. He told me via email when I was wrong and helped me correct my drawings, but only superficial things such the line types or line colors, 'cause he probably couldn't know if those roads were really there (the resolution for some Romanian areas is still very low).

nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #1723
KaaRoy

Yes, I have found it, too. I have actually deleted (more exactly, requested the deletion of) the nonexistent parts of the Transylvania motorway. After all, the purpose of a map is to help travelers, and showing nonexistent motorways is a bad idea. (I was trying to drive on those recently...)

By the way in Hungary, the problem with Google maps is the other way round. E.g. there is the M6 motorway all the way down to the city of Pécs, open for more than half a year, and it still did not show up in Google Maps.
Old September 12th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #1724
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaRoy View Post
Yes, I have found it, too. I have actually deleted (more exactly, requested the deletion of) the nonexistent parts of the Transylvania motorway. After all, the purpose of a map is to help travelers, and showing nonexistent motorways is a bad idea. (I was trying to drive on those recently...)
You're right and trust me, you're not the only one who have asked for the deletion of an inexistent motorway. The problem is, once a section is deleted, another stupid kid is drawing that section again.
Old September 12th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #1725
KaaRoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
You're right and trust me, you're not the only one who have asked for the deletion of an inexistent motorway. The problem is, once a section is deleted, another stupid kid is drawing that section again.
Interesting. Google must have a problem with how they defined their processes on this. OpenStreetMap seems to show the situation correctly.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #1726
Ayceman

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
my mistake, I did not check the map carefully enough.

when would be the completion date ?
Forgive my rudeness, but are you ******* crazy? You're asking for a completion date on a motorway that hasn't even had a feasibility study completed, in a country where nothing ever gets done on time?

Only joking about the first part. The second is all true though...
Ayceman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #1727
MHN
Romania

Likes (Received): 1417

Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
the place looks like it is abandoned. or at least not so much rush there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
It may seem so, but in the first pic you have at least a dozen trucks lined up to transport dirt. And in the last pics works are completed, asphalt included. They only need to place the water canals, fences, mark the road etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallae2 View Post
These pics are taken on Sunday
(2 days ago)
Indeed, I took the pictures on Sunday (one week ago) but I assure you they were working at 4 PM: at least 30 trucks were carrying mixture...
In fact, today, I've passed at 1 PM through the future junction of A1 motorway with DN 69 near Arad and I saw the workers "on duty" while raining !!!
Obviously, no photo because of the rain.
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1728
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayceman View Post
Forgive my rudeness, but are you ******* crazy? You're asking for a completion date on a motorway that hasn't even had a feasibility study completed, in a country where nothing ever gets done on time?

Only joking about the first part. The second is all true though...
No, I do not feel offended. actually I did not ask for very specific date, because I know it would be to early. I rather meant approximate year.

anyway I am aware that it is still a long way to go (to see East-West motorway operating), but not because" nothing is on time". in my opinion this is because Romania still learns how to perform very complex projects, where a lot of groups of different interests are involved.
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #1729
ke

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Just request renaming the section to <name> - Under Construction
ke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1730
ke

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallae2 View Post

in addition to the map above, attached bellow is a map showing motorway/expressway network in Serbia (to the best of my knowledge)

[IMG]http://i55.************/bdpcpg.jpg[/IMG]
I can't understand why they want to build a complete new motorway between Bucharest and Craiova, instead of building the Pitesti-Craiova segment.
ke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #1731
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke View Post
I can't understand why they want to build a complete new motorway between Bucharest and Craiova, instead of building the Pitesti-Craiova segment.
Two main reasons:

1. A1 Bucharest-Pitesti is ALREADY very, very busy and it will get even more busy when the transport corridor (IV) from Nadlac to Constanta will be finished.

2. By building Craiova-Alexandria-Bucharest we'll develop the Teleorman region (one of the poorest in RO) and it will also be a shorter trip from Vidin-Calafat/Craiova to Bucharest and further to the sea port.

I think it's the better way to go... the only drawback is probably the increased price. But it shouldn't be more than 3-4 mil euro / km because it will be on the plain. The only big problem will be the bridge over the Olt river.

As a sign of appreciation and respect for the Romanian moderators and a few Romanian users, I will not edit all my 4100+ messages. I dedicate all the "work" I've done with passion on SSC to these handful of users. I will only continue to read SSC and be available for these users on PM. Thank you.
ionut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #1732
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12012

Quote:
Because Craiova is a big industrial city (but also smaller cities in the area like Slatina [biggest Pirelli investment in Europe] etc) which needs a direct link to Bucharest where most traffic is headed and then further to Constanta for export. Plus that the motorway is something that was agreed with Ford before it came to Craiova.

Ionut's comments are also valid. A1 in between Bucharest and Pitesti is already crowded. They could transform it into a 2x3 and should at some point. The detour from Craiova through Pitesti to Bucharest is IMO too big.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #1733
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
There might be a 3rd reason... the former Transportation minister is from Craiova, so it's only natural that a more direct motorway was considered. He got fired recently, so things may change once again...
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #1734
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Because Craiova is a big industrial city (but also smaller cities in the area like Slatina [biggest Pirelli investment in Europe] etc) which needs a direct link to Bucharest where most traffic is headed and then further to Constanta for export. Plus that the motorway is something that was agreed with Ford before it came to Craiova.

Ionut's comments are also valid. A1 in between Bucharest and Pitesti is already crowded. They could transform it into a 2x3 and should at some point. The detour from Craiova through Pitesti to Bucharest is IMO too big.
Slatina would me more logical to reach through Piteşti (see the existing national route DN 65), not through a southern motorway.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #1735
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Quote:
Slatina would me more logical to reach through Piteşti (see the existing national route DN 65), not through a southern motorway.
Yeah, however, on the south you will link Craiova to Bucharest AND:
1. Caracal (35577)
2. Rosiori (31255)
3. Alexandria (50847)
------
Grand total 117,679 inhab

vs just Slatina 78570 inhab...

So, for me anyway, it makes so much more sense to link 3 big cities with 118k inhab (total) than just one bigger city of 79k. Not to mention the other smaller communities along the way (more than Craiova-Slatina-Pitesti).

In fact, I personally cannot see one good reason for the north route (with Slatina) when comparing to the south through Alexandria.

I mean objective reason. If you live in Slatina, of course you feel left aside...... that I can totally understand.

As a sign of appreciation and respect for the Romanian moderators and a few Romanian users, I will not edit all my 4100+ messages. I dedicate all the "work" I've done with passion on SSC to these handful of users. I will only continue to read SSC and be available for these users on PM. Thank you.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #1736
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut View Post
In fact, I personally cannot see one good reason for the north route (with Slatina) when comparing to the south through Alexandria.
-Cause it would be shorter to build, since we need just a stretch from Pitești?
-Cause Slatina-Craiova is waaay more congested than the southern route?
-Cause it won't be necessary any expropriations near Bucharest, where the land is more expensive than in Miami?
-Cause all the three cities you mentioned put together don't have the economy of Slatina?
-Cause it would link the northern and the southern branches of Corridor IV, plus the important city of Pitești with Craiova?

Last edited by nenea_hartia; September 13th, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #1737
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Quote:
-Cause it would be shorter to build, since we need just a stretch from Pitești?
-Cause Slatina-Craiova is waaay far more congested than the southern route?
-Cause it won't be necessary any expropriations near Bucharest, where the land is more expensive than in Miami?
-Cause all the three cities you mentioned put together don't have the economy of Slatina?
-Cause it would link the northern and the southern branches of Corridor IV, plus the important city of Pitești with Craiova?

1. doesn't count, even if it's cheaper, the south motorway will have a bigger impact. And if you need to go to the sea/Constanta, you actually prefer Bucharest, not Pitesti! Ford will not use Craiova-Pitesti if Craiova-Severin-Lugoj is completed!

2. so build just two bypasses for Craiova and Slatina (AFAIK there is a project for building something like this "especially" for Ford). Slatina needs a bypass badly. With the bypasses in operation, it should be better (of course you cannot compare this solution with the motorway, but it's still a big improvement).

3. oh come on, and near Pitesti the land is really cheap?! You're just trying to get to me with this one. Like I've said, the north option can be cheaper... but the south option can have so much more impact!

4. Do you actually have data on this or it's just your opinion?

5. and with Craiova-Alexandria-Bucuresti the Corridors won't be connected?! It's actually much more important to link the south corridor via Bucharest because you will need the shortest road to Constanta. Of course in a perfec world we need both Craiova-Slatina-Pitesti and Craiova-Alexandria-Bucuresti... but for me it's much more important the second option. Much much more.

Maybe you can find some other reasons.

Old September 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #1738
nitz

Likes (Received): 37

One more reason for the direct route: Bucuresti - Alexandria is one of the most congested routes in Romania, check the traffic statistics. So the motorway can also be useful for the local traffic.
nitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #1739
alwn

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
One more reason for the direct route: Bucuresti - Alexandria is one of the most congested routes in Romania, check the traffic statistics. So the motorway can also be useful for the local traffic.
Do you have any statistic to prove that the route Rosiori- Alexandria- Bucharest is more crowded then Craiova- Slatina - Pitesti?
At least in terms of inhabitants the second route looks to be more important?

What about the industrial interest? Our automotive industry is based near Craiova and Pitesti. Besides the two car producers in these areas are based many automotive suppliers which work to both dacia and ford.
In the middle in Slatina we have aluminium, a strategic component of the automotive industry also..

i don't know how crowded is rosiori- alexandria - bucharest but defently craiova- slatina - pitesti is enough crowded to require at least a new express way or even better a full motorway profile..
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #1740
alwn

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut View Post
Yeah, however, on the south you will link Craiova to Bucharest AND:
1. Caracal (35577)
2. Rosiori (31255)
3. Alexandria (50847)
------
Grand total 117,679 inhab

vs just Slatina 78570 inhab...

So, for me anyway, it makes so much more sense to link 3 big cities with 118k inhab (total) than just one bigger city of 79k. Not to mention the other smaller communities along the way (more than Craiova-Slatina-Pitesti).

I mean objective reason. If you live in Slatina, of course you feel left aside...... that I can totally understand.
You forgot bals..

Slatina 78570
Bals 21194

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania