daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #41
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Any news?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:18 AM   #42
kichigai

Likes (Received): 182

Scan c/o Fred Stolle

kichigai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM   #43
kichigai

Please change title to

MELBOURNE | Carlton Brewery Tower | 280m | 90 fl | Pro
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #44
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbournee12 View Post
Here it is, courtesy of dockman.

Can a mod PLEASE change the thread title already?e

Shouldn't it be:

MELBOURNE | Carlton Brewery Tower | +280m | 90 fl | Pro

As the final height is yet to be confirmed and it's a possibility that the height will be increased.
Will737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #45
Will737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erektion View Post
Didn't know where to put this. This will do:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/win...-1225917634140

Window on the world

* Shelley Hadfield
* September 11, 2010 12:00AM

Daniel Grollo, chief executive of Grocon Pty Ltd, relaxes in an apartment in the Eureka Tower. Picture: Craig Borrow Source: Herald Sun

THE man who has helped shape Melbourne's skyline thinks the city needs an overhaul at ground level, specifically its parks.

We should be making better use of our green open spaces, says Daniel Grollo, chief executive of Grocon.

The building giant believes some of our parks are "almost impenetrable".

He sees great potential in such parks as Treasury Gardens, Flagstaff Gardens and Carlton Gardens. "There's a goldmine there for the community of Melbourne," he says.

Investment in amenities - running tracks, playing equipment, cafes and walking tracks, like those in New York's Central Park and the Royal Botanic Gardens - would make them much more of an attraction.

Mr Grollo is about to unveil his latest project - he's very excited about the design for an apartment tower on the old Carlton Brewery site at the top end of Swanston St.

"I have been sitting on it for a month and a half and I'm not very good at sitting on secrets," he says.

The building would make a significant statement and generate discussion.

It is part of a $1 billion-plus site redevelopment expected to finish by 2016. Building on the new tower would start by the year's end.

Grocon already has plans for a 90-storey residential tower on the site, which will be slightly shorter than the Eureka Tower but it will be the highest point on the city skyline because of the site's elevation.

Mr Grollo also:

EXPECTS a building taller than Eureka to grace the city skyline within 10 years.

LAMENTS the failure of the proposed 560m Grollo Tower, which would have been the world's tallest building, at Docklands.

STILL wants to build over the Jolimont railyards.

THINKS the dome, part of the original plan for Parliament House, should be completed.

SAYS the ferris wheel at Docklands is one of his least favourite structures.

BELIEVES the city needs new transport infrastructure to promote growth and density.

SUGGESTS sustainability and the environment will be the biggest drivers of Grocon's future business.

As he sits in his apartment high in the Eureka Tower, there is no doubting Mr Grollo has the world at his feet.

He has a favourite spot where he can sit looking out at the city lights, but he doesn't afford himself the luxury of self-praise.

It's a family trait, he says, passed down from his father, Bruno, and grandfather, Luigi, who started the family business as a concreting firm more than 60 years ago.

Mr Grollo says he comes from tough Italian stock that would be more concerned with making sure he kept his feet on the ground than dishing out praise.

There would be plenty of time for reflection once he'd retired.

Until then there's no rest for Mr Grollo. He's up sometime from 4-5am every morning - usually for a run or some gym time - before heading to the office from 6-8am.

"I don't sleep in," he says. "I work on the philosophy that every hour before midnight is worth two after.

"So for me a sleep-in is the reverse. I try to get myself to bed really early and on occasions I have been known to be racing the children to sleep."

The children are Finn, 11, and Matilda, 7, and time with them is at a premium since they set up house in New York.

Mr Grollo and his wife, Kat, had a deal that when they turned 40 they would spend a year in New York and he would take a sabbatical from work. But it was not as easy as it sounded.

So, Kat and the children moved to an apartment overlooking Central Park and Mr Grollo commutes, spending about three weeks in Melbourne for every week in New York.

He says Skype allows him to help the kids with homework and watch them play while he sits in Melbourne.

"I travel very regularly regardless, so it's not like it's that much of a burden on me," he says. "For me it's great. When I'm there ... I'm just there as part of the family with not much else to do."

When in Melbourne, he just loves developing property.

"I think you are only as good as your last achievement and you are always judged by your last achievement," he says.

"So despite what we've done in the past, if we're not focused on the future and continuing to do well, it will all go backwards."
Big things coming for Melbourne? I posted this here because it mentions the tower and Grocon are developing this site.
Old September 15th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #46
Will737

Quote:
Originally Posted by kichigai View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
image hosted on flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by kichigai View Post
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225923026503

Building with portrait of leader to become Melbourne's newest landmark

A HIGH-rise apartment building bearing the image of an Aboriginal leader is set to become one of Melbourne's most dramatic landmarks.

The proposed Portrait building, earmarked for the old Carlton brewery site, features a 32-storey portrait of Wurundjeri tribal leader and artist William Barak.

Developer Grocon says the apartment block will be a symbolic "bookend" for the city, paired with the Shrine of Remembrance in St Kilda Rd.

What do you think of Melbourne's latest landmark? Tell us below

Wurundjeri elders have welcomed the plans, saying such a prominent tribute to Melbourne's first inhabitants had been a long time coming.

Grocon chief executive Daniel Grollo said the building's design was intended to "pay respect to both Barak and the Wurundjeri people", and was not a political statement. "(But) I suspect a lot of people will read a whole lot of things into this," he said.

Mr Grollo said Barak's image would be visible along much of Swanston St, but difficult to make out close up.

"The beauty is that depending on where you see the building from ... sometimes you will see (the face) and sometimes you won't. That makes it very special," he said.

Barak's great granddaughter and Wurundjeri elder Doreen Garvey-Wandin said she had been involved in the consultation process, and was very emotional about the result.

"Something like this has been a long time waiting, and I think it's wonderful," she said.

"My great-grandfather would be so proud. I am so proud. He was such a strong, powerful man, but also a very gentle and humble man.

"So why shouldn't he be recognised? Why shouldn't his head be up there over everybody else's, protecting the Wurundjeri territory, which he fought for, for many years."

Barak, renowned for working to bridge the divide between black and white Australia, died in 1903.

The Portrait building was designed by architecture firm Ashton Raggatt McDougall, which also created some of Melbourne's most controversial buildings, including Federation Square and the Docklands' master plan.

Grocon's Carlton Brewery general manager David Waldren said the building, which is awaiting a permit by Planning Minister Justin Madden, would hold 530 apartments priced between $295,000 and $1 million when complete in 2014.

He said the horizontal white panels creating the illusion of the face would be distanced from residents' balconies.

"Do we expect to see beach towels hanging over the edge? No," Mr Waldren said.

The article wrongly lists ARM as the architects of Fed Square...

Good design but will be obscured from a large part of Swanston Street by the Design Hub.

Absolutely incredible project.
Old September 15th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #47
spiralout

Likes (Received): 150

yeah should be 280+ not 229
Old September 15th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #48
Will737

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
yeah should be 280+ not 229
Thats been posted about 7 times and I even e-mailed a mod but still it hasn't been changed.
Old September 15th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #49
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

They'll get around to it eventually. A lot of the time they just wait until there's a whole bunch to do at once.

Anyway, don't know that "Portrait" should be in this thread but I do think if constructed to match the renders it could become iconic to Melbourne. Really, there's nothing like it. I hope it gets built asap.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #50
kichigai

I've created a separate thread in the highrise section for the above rendered Portrait building.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1215689
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #51
Will737

Old January 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #52
affordablemelbourne

Likes (Received): 0

I think this image was the inspiration for the interiors of the arm shared spaces?

affordablemelbourne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #53
linum

Likes (Received): 658

WOW! Melbourne leads the way with kooky and innovative design in this country.
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #54
mattie!

Likes (Received): 250

So, site has changed hands. New proposal on the cards. Been a long time coming, hopefully this gets the go ahead.

Thanks to the ever informative John_Proctor for all the information. I'll let him give you all the info on the project (see below). Most importantly, new height of 252.5m if someone wants to updated the thread title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Proctor View Post
funny timing given above... but I give you 170 Victoria Street Carlton Planning App...

will post a few more pics soon.

76 levels - I count 69 stories + podium. 252.5m height tower.

Pan Ops maximum height allows 278.58 AHD. which is a maximum building above ground of 257.58m

1041 dwelling. 627 of which are 2 bed + 2 bathroom (so not low end). 232 car parks. 470 bike spaces. 1821sqm retail.

(happy for pics to be used elsewhere - can't post on that other site from work)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Proctor View Post
more - ugly podium!

wind tunnel model shows style of building from behind.

view from Thierry Street/Vic Street intersection

view from the swanston street alignment. RMIT hubs loading dock thing is to the right of this image. stairs are at the property boundary of this site.
Thread in the Ozscrapers section for more updates and information about the whole Carlton Brewery site: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post113449085

aquaticko liked this post

Last edited by mattie!; April 24th, 2014 at 09:52 AM.
mattie! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #55
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28285

Great news. That new tower looks pretty good.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #56
PaPa Riddlz
Registered Alcoholic

Likes (Received): 4091

Approved @ 237m & 71 floors

Height was lowered below the maximum height for the site

New design as well

Application for a sales suite granted a few months ago, so may get rolling soon.

[IMG][/IMG]

Dimethyltryptamine liked this post
PaPa Riddlz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #57
PaPa Riddlz
Registered Alcoholic

Likes (Received): 4091

About to get going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Dawn
Communism and Capitalism are tools/weapons of the Illuminati.

Seoul_Korea, mw123, (the) liked this post
PaPa Riddlz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #58
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

I think that portrait building proposed a few years ago would have looked amazing. Too bad it has been dropped from the finalized plans for the Carlton Brewery site, though.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 06:29 AM   #59
A-brain

Likes (Received): 2404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
I think that portrait building proposed a few years ago would have looked amazing. Too bad it has been dropped from the finalized plans for the Carlton Brewery site, though.
Unfortunately overshadowing of the sacrosanct State Library forecourt limited the final height of the design. It may be a far cry from the original but we all glad to see one of Melbourne's longest running tall proposals finally go ahead.

It may not have the height of the original design but the bulk of the tower means it should still have a commanding presence in the area.

Website is also up now. Expect it to commence construction in first half of 2016

http://swanstoncentral.com.au/
Old July 31st, 2015, 08:19 AM   #60
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Actually, the William Barak Portrait Tower has its own thread in the international forums, and it's apparently under construction, so, contrary to my previous post, I don't think the Portrait Tower has been dropped.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote