daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Cityscapes and Skyline Photos.

Cityscapes and Skyline Photos. Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you.

Old July 28th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #1
nygirl

Likes (Received): 208

The complete Manhattan tour(Part 19) Yorkville, Carnegie Hill, & Central Park East

Welcome to Manhattan the most well known borough of the United State’s most Iconic and arguably most important city, New York. New York is home to well over 8 million people and Manhattan Island is home to 1.5 million of that packed into a land area of 22.96 square miles. The city is a leading center in finance, business, fashion, media, and culture. Known for it’s world class museums, theaters, restaurants, and educational institutions. The city boasts of it’s park’s and efficient transportation system. 170 languages are spoken here everyday and reflect the city’s diverse communities. Manhattan is not the entire city of New York but it is instantly what comes to the mind of many whenever the city is mentioned. Manhattan is 13 miles long and 2 miles wide and is situated in between the East and Hudson rivers. There are actually two “downtowns” on the Island of Manhattan. At the southern tip is the financial district which is the nation’s third largest business district after the Chicago Loop. Midtown Manhattan is the largest. Manhattan as said before is a culture nest. The city is home to the Manhattan Opera which performs in Lincoln Center, one of the worlds most prestigious opera houses. Manhattan also has some of the worlds most extensive collections of art housed in world famous locations such as the Met, Moma, Guggenheim, Frick, and Whitney museums. A tremendous theater scene both on Broadway and off.

On a personal note this is also my home, and no matter how many years I’ve been stomping around on these street’s it has yet to stop fascinating me. No matter where I’ve gone in this world from the west coast of the United states to Europe to Asia briefly to the Caribbean, up to Canada and across the Mediterranean sea nowhere else in the world greets me the way New York does, nor impress me to the level Manhattan has always impressed me. With that I decided to grab what I could out of this city to show to you guys here. I’ve donated my body and time for this series and I really hope you enjoy this. This series will be done in many parts. The photos are not exactly the best and I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR that this will not be the most beautiful tour you have seen on here but it will be the most extensive, bar-none. This series is more about quantity than quality and my camera is not made for art. I mostly take pictures of family and friends with it and have been frying the crap out of it for weeks.

While I covered basically all of Manhattan for you there are places that were not covered or covered well. The places include

A small chunk of Harlem
Inwood Hill Park
St. Nicholas Park
A great deal of Marcus Garvey Park
Gracie Mansion
Many portions of Riverside Park
Trump’s River place complex
Roosevelt Island
The piers over in the 50’s on the Hudson River
The Central Park Zoo & Arsenal
Stuyvesant Town & Peter Cooper Village
A lot of NYU
Columbus Park
79th street marina
&
South Street Ferry terminal

We will start this series out with Part 1 which will include Lower Manhattan's Battery Park in the very south and work our way up to Harlem and Uptown eventually. This message will appear at the top of each thread.

With that said, welcome to Gotham City:

Part Nineteen: York Ville, Carnegie Hill, & Central Park East

Yorkville

Quote:
Yorkville is a neighborhood within the Upper East Side of the borough of Manhattan in New York City. Roughly speaking, it is bound by 72nd Street on the south, the East River on the east, 96th Street (i.e., Spanish Harlem) on the north, and Third Avenue on the west. The neighborhood's main artery, East 86th Street, was sometimes called the "German Broadway." Its ZIP codes are 10021, 10028 and 10128. Yorkville is served by Manhattan Community Board 8.
For much of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, Yorkville was a middle to working-class neighborhood, inhabited by many people of Albanian, Czech, German, Hungarian, Irish, Jewish, Lebanese, Polish, and Slovak descent. While most of the neighborhood's ethnic establishments have closed, a number remain. More importantly, despite the best efforts of developers, many of the area's long-time residents still live in Yorkville.
Many of Yorkville's original German residents moved to the area from Kleindeutschland on the Lower East Side of Manhattan after the General Slocum Disaster in 1904. The ship caught fire in the East River just off the coast of Yorkville. Most of the passengers on the ship were German.
The Bohemian Boulevard was 72nd Street. The Bohemians were considered the Czechs, Poles and Slovaks who lived from 65th Street to 73rd Street. Besides Ruc, a Czech restaurant off Second Avenue, there were sokol halls on 67th and 73rd Streets. These halls were the gathering places for those who enjoyed good food, gymnastics, theater and ballroom dancing (especially polkas).[1] In addition, there were other Czech and Slovak businesses, such as Praha restaurant on First Avenue and 73rd street, Vašata Restaurant on Second Avenue and 74th street, as well as Czech butcher shops, poultry and grocery stores, and shops that sold imported goods such as Bohemian books, leather products and crystal.
The Hungarian Boulevard was 79th Street, a hub for the Austro-Hungarian populace from 75th Street to 83rd Street. Popular restaurants included the Viennese Lantern, Tokay, Hungarian Gardens, Budapest and the Debrechen.[1] There were also a number of butcher stores and businesses that imported goods from Hungary, a few of which still exist. Churches included St. Stephen (82nd St.) and Saint Elizabeth (83rd St.) of Hungary Catholic Churches and the Hungarian Reformed Church on East 82nd Street, all of which still exist.
The Irish were scattered throughout Yorkville. They attended mass at such churches as St. Ignatius Loyola on 84th St. and Park Avenue, Our Lady of Good Counsel (90th St.) and the Church of St. Joseph (87th St). There were many Irish bars including Finnegan's Wake, Ireland's 32, O'Brien's and Kinsale Tavern (still in existence). Until the late 1990s, the St. Patrick's Day Parade ended at 86th Street and Third Avenue, the historical center of Yorkville.
The German Boulevard was 86th Street, attracting the German populace from 84th to 90th Streets. Popular restaurants included Die Lorelei, Cafe Mozart and the Gloria Palast. The Palast had a German movie theater on the main floor. The rest of the building contained ballrooms for waltzing and polka dancing. All this is now gone, replaced by fast-food stores, boutiques and other shops.[1] Other restaurants included Kleine Konditorei, serving some of the finest German pastries in New York, and the coffee shop-style Ideal Restaurant.
In the 1930s, the neighborhood was the home base of Fritz Kuhn's German-American Bund, the most notorious pro-Nazi group in 1930s America.[2] As a result of their presence, Yorkville in this period was the scene of fierce street battles between pro- and anti-Nazi Germans and German-Americans. Today there are few remnants of Yorkville's German origins (Schaller & Weber grocery shop, Heidelberg Restaurant and a German church, Hungarian Meat Market and Delicatessen, Orwasher's bakery), Glaser's Bakery, but it has largely become an upper middle class residential neighborhood. Since the 1990s, Old World merchants, such as the Elk Candy Company, Kleine Konditorei bakery and Bremen House market (all German), as well as the Rigo bakery and Mocca restaurant (Hungarian) have closed. The Steuben Parade, one of the largest German-American celebrations in the US, still winds its way through the neighborhood, however.
Yorkville's natives value its long history. There are very few chic clubs in the area, but one holdover from earlier days, however, is Brandy's Saloon - a popular 84th Street piano bar dating from the speak-easy era of the 1920s. Brandy's is host to large crowds each year after the annual St. Patrick's Day Parade.
There is a bit of a student presence due to the Fordham Graduate Housing buildings on 81st street between York and East End. Although the Fordham Graduate Schools are located on the West Side, the University purchased the buildings on 81st street to provide a safe area for graduate students. In fact, because it is isolated from the subway, east Yorkville is quite affordable, and many young people live between 1st avenue and East End Avenue.
Yorkville includes Gracie Mansion, the official home of the mayor of New York City, and Carl Schurz Park.
Yorkville was the birthplace of baseball legend Lou Gehrig, in 1903. Actor James Cagney also grew up in the neighborhood.[2]
And Yorkville is also the birthplace of the Manhattan Chamber of Commerce, circa 1920, founded by eleven local business men.
Yorkville was the home of the Marx Brothers at 179 East 93rd Street.[3]
Welcome to Yorkville

Well begin our Yorkville tour in the Upper 70's heading east from Madison Avenue

79th

For my buddy, ChicagoGeorge: The Greek Consulate

South down Lexington

The florist's Gaurd cat

Cathedral Jean Baptiste

West along 76th

Going north on third in the upper 70's

The 80's

Park Avenue looking south

North up Park

Citycorp and Bloomberg down there

South down third

Second

Oh my god Silverlake..it's another Pinkberry!

South down first from the 80's

This was a pleasant site

Carl Shurz Park

Making my way toward the south side entrance

59th street bridge and Roosevelt Island from the park promenade

Walking North along the park promenade

Hell's Gate & Triboro

The "Little" Dog Park

The "Big Dog Park"

out on East End Avenue

Henderson Street "The Private street"

Back out on First

Stopped in the Tin Lizzie for a couple of quick drinks before hitting up Carnegie hill

Old School Yorkville

Back out on Park

North on Park into Carnegie Hill

Carnegie Hill

Quote:
Carnegie Hill is a neighborhood within the Upper East Side, in the borough of Manhattan in New York City. Roughly speaking, it is bounded by 86th Street on the south, Third Avenue on the east, 98th Street (i.e., Spanish Harlem) on the north, and Fifth Avenue (i.e., Central Park) on the west. The neighborhood is part of Manhattan Community Board 8.

The neighborhood is named for the mansion that Andrew Carnegie built at Fifth Avenue and 91st Street in 1901. The mansion is today the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, a branch of the Smithsonian Institution. A number of other mansions in the area have been converted to schools, including the recent purchase of the Smithers' Mansion, a former rehabilitation center for New York's elite by the Spence School. The Lycee Francais held a mansion space on 95th between Fifth and Madison Avenue until 2005, when the property was sold to a private owner.
The architecture of the neighborhood is an eclectic mix of taller residential buildings, lush mansions, townhouses, and even wood-built homes built over a nearly 200-year span. Many of the neighborhood's esteemed townhouses were actually built during the Reconstruction period, with four or five houses being cheaply laid down in row. While some of the facades of these older homes have been remodeled, there are still many identical houses running the length of the numbered streets in the area. A number of wooden houses still survive in the area.
One of New York's most prestigious and expensive neighborhoods, most of the neighborhood's opulent townhouses are protected as part of the Carnegie Hill Historic District. Many of the townhouses are single family residences, although some have been converted to apartments.
Known for its "suburban" family-friendly atmosphere, Carnegie Hill boasts many fine restaurants, upscale boutiques, and gourmet food stores. Following New York City's tradition of similar stores residing next to one another, the stretch of Madison Avenue that runs through Carnegie Hill is known for its numerous children's clothing boutiques. The neighborhood also includes several schools, including Dalton, St. David's, Nightingale-Bamford, Spence, Trevor Day School, Convent of the Sacred Heart, and Hunter College High School . - Wiki
Welcome to Carnegie Hill:

Park Avenue in the Upper 80's

This little church was crammed at 89th

Lexington

They aint all gonna be pretty

Damn shine

South down 3rd

The 90's

Some kind of Russian organization occupies this building

North on Park in the 90's

Hazy & Blurry shot south

The russians

This beautiful home on 93rd

North on Madison

Moving into the Upper 90's

Central Park East( Museum Mile)

Quote:
Central Park East

Museum Mile is the name for a section of Fifth Avenue in Manhattan in the City of New York, running from 82nd to 105th streets on the Upper East Side in a neighborhood known as Carnegie Hill.
New York City officially designated this segment as Museum Mile because it is the location of nine museums, several of which are world-renowned. A tenth museum, the Museum for African Art, will be joining the ensemble in 2008.
The nine museums and their locations are:
• El Museo del Barrio
104th St.
(212) 831-7272
http://www.elmuseo.org/
• Museum of the City of New York
103rd St.
(212) 534-1672
http://www.mcny.org/
• 92nd St. The Jewish Museum
(212) 423-3200
http://www.thejewishmuseum.org/
• 91st St. Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, Smithsonian Institution
(212) 849-8400
http://www.si.edu/ndm
• 89th St. National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts
(212) 369-4880
http://www.nationalacademy.org/
• 88th St. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
(212) 423-3500
http://www.guggenheim.org/
• 86th St. Neue Galerie New York
(212) 628-6200
http://www.neuegalerie.org/enter.html
• 83rd St. Goethe-Institut New York/German Cultural Center
(212) 439-8700
http://www.goethe.de/newyork
• 82nd St. The Metropolitan Museum of Art
(212) 535-7710
http://www.metmuseum.org/
Other museums in the area include:
• 70th St. Frick Collection
(212) 288-0700
http://www.frick.org/
• 75th St. and Madison Ave. Whitney Museum of American Art
- Wiki
Welcome to Central Park East:

Kicking it off way up around 108th in the Spanish Harlem portion

El Museo Del Barrio

The Museum of The City of New York

South from the 100's

The Jewish Museum

The Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum

The Guggenheim ( Under restoration) if you don't know what it looks like: Google

Judging by the exposed base it needed the restoration badly. This thing is supposed to be white but it was all sorts of ugly shades of grey

The Marymount School

The Metropolitan Museum of Art ( The Met)

North up 5th Avenue

Local Artists & Street Souveneir stands

Crammed in there

More artwork on display for sale

The Ukranian consulate

Townhouses

The French Embassy

The long walk back down to the Grand Army Plaza continues

The Frick Collection

The huge Temple Emanu-el

This view south across the park means this tour has come to an end

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 29th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #2
nygirl

Everything you see on this map is on SSC now. The area outlined in red is what this thread covers.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
Old July 29th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #3
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 1

This thread deserves a response....NYGirl, do we get a certificate or maybe some college credit if we successfully complete all 23 threads?

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #4
nygirl

Yea, duh.. I mean the museums are all on this thread so.. it is educational

Old July 29th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 5841

Brilliant thread! Made me feel like I was walking about Manhattan.... keep those pictures coming!

"Free your mind, and the rest will follow". -Foster & McElroy
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote