daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #401
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist View Post
@ ulpia-serdica: actually they really will make sure that it is structurally stable. it´s a war-memorial, but war is about 67 years ago...so even some memorable ruins have to be refurbished...just for the memory....

some other...i guess BAD news...near Potsdamer platz there was an area, some investor hat great ideas a few years ago...hmmm...just this week, newspapers announced that this ideas are...well...let´s say a bit modified...actually i don´t really like the new design but it really fits to the reast of the buildings around the side...so here the new design:

NEW:
by hilmer and sattler architects

the old design:

personally i love the old one...but hell...the new one is so typically berlin...i can live with that....
Ehh, the new design is much better. The old design was nothing more but another boring glass box.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #402
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

The brickwork looks nice but the upper part looks like a modernized commieblock.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #403
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 407

ThyssenKrupp: new office building representing the company in the german capital, just in the historical center of Berlin, next to the "new" palace (which will be reconstructed in 2013). The building will be 26m high.

mb92, Highcliff liked this post
Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #404
thun

Absolutely horrible. At least at that location.
Old January 28th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #405
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 407

well i´m not sure...the area is very special, historical, indeed, but i guess between all this reconstructed stuff some modern glass building could be quite interessting.... btw this building stood there until WWII, it used to be a hotel, called "the red palace" (rotes schloß)...

Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #406
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist View Post
revitalization of the old Boetzow Brewery side in Prenzlauer Berg. 23 000 squaremetres will be transformed into hotels, flats, stores, lofts, restaurants, offices and galleries. Otto Bock will invest more than 100 million euros into the project.
It looks like a space ship.
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #407
DanielG!

Likes (Received): 448

I like the design of the ThyssenKrupp, that zone would be perfect with a few more trees.
DanielG! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #408
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8163

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
I disagree, if they dont mess up the cladding, then this could be a very sexy building.

El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:13 AM   #409
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
Have to agree. Suits a different architectural environment.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:00 PM   #410
Avalanix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 179

Sorry but the buildings are looking just awful especially the ones by patzschke. They quite look like social housings and have nothing to do with great architecture. If you really want some real quality architects you should visit graft archtects site. Patzschke is the worst! I quite like the thyssen one though.
Avalanix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:42 PM   #411
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

Disgusting thing they want to plant there. Shame on thyssen krupp.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #412
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7648

Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #413
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Quote:
Berlin Cracks the Startup Code

On a rainy day in March 2011, Ciarán O’Leary and two colleagues crammed into a Berlin taxi and raced for the station to catch a train back to Hamburg. While snaking through the city streets, it hit him: Leaving Berlin was a bad idea. “We looked at each other and knew in that moment that we’d be crazy not to move here,” says O’Leary, a partner at the German venture capital firm Earlybird. “There was just so much happening—founders everywhere, in every bar, cafe, every corner.”
full article: http://www.businessweek.com/articles...e-startup-code

Old April 13th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #414
sgroutage

Likes (Received): 0

del

Last edited by sgroutage; April 14th, 2012 at 05:29 AM.
sgroutage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #415
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Siebentausendzweihundertvierundfünfzig thumbs up about the project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Cosmo View Post
BER - Berlin Brandenburg Airport Willy Brandt

Pics from 15th march:

Mainpier

Source and Copyright: Berlin Airports (Photos by Alexander Obst and Marion Schmieding)

Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM   #416
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57904

Atlas Tower at Zoo: Prep beginning in fall 2012, completion in 2015

Good news for Berlin's Atlas Tower project

According to this article & gallery of the Berliner Zeitung:
  • The demolition of the remaining parts of the Schimmelpfeng-Haus will start in autumn 2012.
  • The completion of the Atlas Tower is scheduled for 2015.
  • Constructor of the 119m highrise will be the STRABAG Real Estate.
  • Investment of ~250 million Euro.
  • The STRABAG applied for a permit for apartment construction there, so we might see an apartment tower rise next to Zoofenster and the Memorial Church in City West.

At the website of the STRABAG, the Langhof design is still shown. Good news imho, as I like the concept.

One of the known renders:

Source: www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:43 PM   #417
Wunderknabe

Likes (Received): 194

Good news for sure, but I will believe it just, only when the construction begins.

However, time for some highrise projects at Alexanderplatz to be announced

Last edited by Wunderknabe; April 23rd, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Wunderknabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:58 PM   #418
moustache
BANNED

Likes (Received): 706

Great building !!
moustache no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #419
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57904

@Wunderknabe: Indeed, remaining skeptical here doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Regarding Alex highrises: We had a zillion of announcements. It's time for constructions! But I'd rather see some great designs and a new masterplan evolve than have some short-sighted investor boxes at the square.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #420
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Quote:
Berlin’s Startup Innovators Create A Factory To Call Their Own

There is a chapter in the history of technology startups, or perhaps more a book, that will be dedicated to Berlin. As with other cities, but particularly those that, in 2012, are attracting what I like to call The International Brigade of startup entrepreneurs, Berlin is plowing its own path… its own, distinct, ecosystem. But there is something uniquely Berlin about how this history is playing out. For if this were the Middle Ages, we’d be talking that time when the villagers began demanding more rights from the feudal, Teutonic knights. Perhaps rising up to reclaim their destiny. Just as Berlin started out with a handful of entrepreneurs dominating the scene – sometimes unwilling to share the wealth with their serfs in the field – now a new wave is bringing a new, collaborative and organic approach.

To that end, this new wave has already begin to manifest itself physically. Two years ago, on a winter’s day in Berlin, I sat in a coffee shop with Alexander Ljung and David Noël of SoundCloud talking about this new breed of startups. “We’re mentoring each other. It’s starting to happen,” said Ljung, excitedly. Then, earlier this year, I met a man sitting behind me at a dinner in Munich. He tapped me on the shoulder. “I have something to show you,” he said. I turned around and he proceeded to show me pictures of a giant building that sat on the old border of East and West Berlin. “We’re building a factory,” he said, with a smile. This week, that ‘factory’ breaks cover.

JMES Investments, a Berlin based Angel and Seed Investor has partnered with a large property company, s+p Real Estate, and together with private investors, have have acquired and begun to develop an 8,500 square-meter office building. It stands on the site of the former Oswald Brauerei building in Berlin’s central Mitte district (on Rheinsberger Strasse, at the corner with Brunnenstrasse, here). The space will become a new tech hub comprising a startup incubator and accelerator programs with office space for Berlin’s ‘most successful’ – as they call it – startups.

JMES, an Angel and Seed Investor currently has a portfolio of just under 20 companies. Its team comprises investors Udo Schloemer, Sascha Gechter, Marc Brucherseifer, Andreas Hoffmann and Simon Schaefer have recently invested in Silicon Allee, Moped and Monoqi amongst others.

“We are creating a campus where startups can learn from each other and use collective knowledge to overcome early stage hurdles,” says Simon Schaefer, partner at JMES, and also the man I met in Munich.

The idea of the factory is no doubt familiar to anyone following the startup scene. The idea is to bring together successful entrepreneurs, early stage startups and ideas into one space. But alongside the offices and a large conference area will be a fitness room, basketball court, restaurant and a deli and – this is Berlin after all – an art gallery.

With a total of 5 stories and 85,00 square-meters of space on the site of the former wall separating East from West Berlin, The Factory is a clear statement of intent. Just as Google’s new Campus building in London’s Shoreditch is attracting satellite offices from tech startups, The Factory aims to be a the heart of Berlin’s new scene.

Crucially, the aim is to involve the startup scene outside the building. “This concept will not be formed by investors, but rather the scene itself,” says Schaefer.

To that end, the first tenant late this year will be, appropriately enough, SoundCloud, which moves its Berlin Headquarters to the new location,

Alexander Grosse, VP Engineering for SoundCloud, says: ‘The Factory will provide us with an environment that reflects the culture and working ethic of SoundCloud; one that fosters collaboration, innovation, creativity and development.”

However, I have to ask, what is the catch? It sounds all a little too good to be true, for those involved at least.

Will The Factory take equity in residents? What is the deal for startups? Do they just get space or what?

“Of course we have the network for a great financing round for startups,” Schaefer tells me, “but every founder, idea or deal will be treated differently. We do not want to narrow ourselves into incubation or acceleration. Every option should all be possible.”

He plans to make sure Berlin’s existing network of Entrepreneurs and Angels can participate in The Factory, such as Christophe Maire, Dario Suter, and now, even Founders like Alex Ljung, who themselves are investing here and there in startups.

It’s certainly a grand vision. In London it took the giant Google to buy a lease and renovate an entire office building, such is the expense involved in taking space less than a mile from the city’s wealthy financial district. In Berlin it takes the will of some far-sighted property developed and angel investors to have a vision for a place that at one time singularly divided Eastern and Western Europe.

It’s now up to The Factory to make the Berlin network sing and hum in a way only a physical space can.

The new wave just got real.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/25/ber...all-their-own/

Tags
alexanderplatz, berlin, capital city, construction, investment, stipson