daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:08 PM   #601
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57989

I totally agree, Greco. For both, more recent and older styles/shapes, most architects have yet to figure out what's generally perceived as beautiful, innovative and appropriate at the same time. Architecture is the most public art and has to display it. Not a bunch of egomaniac architects is the sole one to decide about our city's looks.

Ghostie: I said all modern stuff is evil and only neotraditionalist buildings should be built? Where?

I'm all in favour of good buildings of all kinds of styles. Just like you are, supposedly.

And you read my other posts in the German section too... I'm looking for a new era of creativity. Combinations of former styles and new elements without any prejudice. A valuable successor to expressionism, Art Deco, Streamline and Jugendstil. That'd be truly inspiring, elegant and beautiful.

But to successfully combine older styles and new elements, current architecture generations have yet to learn what pre-20th century styles are about. How to work with materials, proportions, ornaments, elements. So buildings as shown here are essentially important. They're the bridge to a new spirit, new talent and new creativity. Nothing less.

Weise & Treuner follows a direction that is suitable for this kind of evolution. It could look totally different for another architects team. www.weiseundtreuner.de - they learnt about historical styles, built all kinds of successors - and then developed a very own, organic style. That's the way it perfectly works out!

It's beyond me why you're accusing me of seeing things in monochrome here.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Cager, TimothyR, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by erbse; February 22nd, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:26 AM   #602
GhostOfDorian
Smartshitter

Likes (Received): 5959

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
And it's much better than anything built in the past 7 decades.
That's what you said. But I know that it is not your real opinion. There is less difference between us, than it sounds.

Another new project in Berlin. The right size, looks quite well without being neo historic. And it repairs a really ugly intersection in the city. One can find it at the corner Bundesallee / Nachodstraße. The buildings on the street will house offices and stores. In the backyard they will construct appartments.

(c) SSN, source
GhostOfDorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:02 AM   #603
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

^
looks alright.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:56 AM   #604
Dmerdude

Likes (Received): 1787

Quote:
For the area at Ernst-Reuter-Platz, this classic beauty was planned some years ago:

link

A design by Patzschke & Partner architects (a Berlin office for classical architecture), located between Otto-Suhr-Allee and Strasse des 17. Juni.

Perhaps this concept will be revived? Would be fantastic.
This is so very amazing!
Dmerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:35 PM   #605
cloud32

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
I totally agree, Greco. For both, more recent and older styles/shapes, most architects have yet to figure out what's generally perceived as beautiful, innovative and appropriate at the same time. Architecture is the most public art and has to display it. Not a bunch of egomaniac architects is the sole one to decide about our city's looks.

I'm all in favour of good buildings of all kinds of styles. Just like you are, supposedly.

And you read my other posts in the German section too... I'm looking for a new era of creativity. Combinations of former styles and new elements without any prejudice. A valuable successor to expressionism, Art Deco, Streamline and Jugendstil. That'd be truly inspiring, elegant and beautiful.
It would be almost impossible to create a building with a combination of those styles included. Thats mainly becuase Streamline and Art Deco (for example) have contrasting philosophies to say, Jugendstil. One was all about simplicity and clean lines, the other was about natural, organic ornementation. To attempt to create a building with all those styles mixed into one would be disrespectful and hypocritial. It would be like creating a Frankenstien's monster out of runway models. They may look beautiful individually, but combine their features into one person and the result would end up looking wrong (and obviosly quite disturbing).

Last edited by cloud32; February 23rd, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
cloud32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:18 PM   #606
GhostOfDorian
Smartshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud32 View Post
It would be almost impossible to create a building with a combination of those styles included. Thats mainly becuase Streamline and Art Deco (for example) have contrasting philosophies to say, Jugendstil. One was all about simplicity and clean lines, the other was about natural, organic ornementation. To attempt to create a building with all those styles mixed into one would be disrespectful and hypocritial. It would be like creating a Frankenstien's monster out of runway models. They may look beautiful individually, but combine their features into one person and the result would end up looking wrong (and obviosly quite disturbing).
A combination of different historic styles did not work in the Belle Epoque and wouldn't work today either. Only a new interpretation of historic ornament would bring us a new contemporary style. That's actually what happened in Art Déco. They used historic ornament, and gave them an Art Déco look.
Old February 27th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #607
Cager
Rot + Grün = Braun

Likes (Received): 6543

Vorberg 4

Name: Vorberg 4
Projekt: 33 new apartements
Architect: Bonanni

Visualisations:

(C) BAUWERT Investment Group GmbH & Co.KG

(C) BAUWERT Investment Group GmbH & Co.KG

Website

mb92, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Cager; February 27th, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Cager no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:31 PM   #608
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

And another neo traditional project:

(C) Grossmann & Berger GmbH

page of the project

Cager, Minsk, Neungz, Brko, TimothyR and 2 others liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #609
GhostOfDorian
Smartshitter

Well, they look all the same way.
Old March 4th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #610
Tiaren

Paris within the Pereferique looks mostly uniform as well...and is considered one of the most beautiful cities on the planet.
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #611
GhostOfDorian
Smartshitter

Also the buildings of Old Berlin have all a similar floor plan. Anyway they have all a different facade. We need a modern ornamentation to make those buildings individual.
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #612
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cager View Post
And another one:

Place: Berlin Mitte, Seydelstraße 23-24
Name: D-O-M-U-S
Project: 78 contos in 5 buildings
Movie: http://www.ziegert-immobilien.de/pro...elstr/film.php

Visualisations:

(c) ZIEGERT - Bank- und Immobilienconsulting GmbH

Website

I like these very much: elegant, sweeping, tasteful and imaginative but also simple and clean. The colors are very nice as well.

What is this style called?

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

UnHavrais, mb92, Highcliff liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #613
GhostOfDorian
Smartshitter

Neo historism
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #614
Tiaren

I am a little frustrated with this thread... Only the very small projects are shown here, while there are actually many huge and interesting projects going on all over the city. Hardly any other European capital is building that much at the moment. Literally half of Berlin's city centre is a construction site.
I asked one Forumer in the DAF (German Architecture Forum), if he would like to post his updates here as well, or that maybe I could share his updates here...but he declined. The Berliners we have here in this forum have nothing better to do, than to fool around all day in the German subforum.
No wonder Berlin is so underrated in SCC. Apart from the lack of skyscrapers, Berliners just don't feel the need to inform about their city or promote it at all.
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #615
Cager
Rot + Grün = Braun

Likes (Received): 6543

You can say the same about Hamburg, Stuttgart, Munich, Köln, Düsseldorf and a lot of other cities in Germany - so much building going on, yet you hear nothing about it.
Cager no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #616
GhostOfDorian
Smartshitter

Well, complaining doesn't change anything. You can inform yourself in the other German forums for architecture and post all interesting projects here as well. There are quit a lot of pictures in the German subforum you can use.
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #617
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfDorian View Post
Neo historism
Interesting. Thanks

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Highcliff liked this post
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #618
cloud32

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR View Post
I like these very much: elegant, sweeping, tasteful and imaginative
I wouldn't exactly call them imaginative. All it is is pasting traditional decoration onto a 30s structure. No imagination needed.

What would be more imaginitve is designing a contemporary building that fits with the surroundings and doesn't age badly to look grimy in 5 years time.

GhostOfDorian liked this post
cloud32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #619
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud32 View Post
I wouldn't exactly call them imaginative. All it is is pasting traditional decoration onto a 30s structure. No imagination needed.

What would be more imaginitve is designing a contemporary building that fits with the surroundings and doesn't age badly to look grimy in 5 years time.

I think it is an interesting answer to the architectural needs of Berlin. It has a warmth and appeal that impersonal modernism (which I hate) does not have - and it does slightly suggest the sleek, streamlined, cool style of the 20s and 30s. It is built for people, not machines. And this is just the beginning.

I am not German, so I obviously don't know all of the logistical needs of the city.

However I have spent time in Berlin - I loved it - and I cannot see a return to the elaborate and massive 19th century residences and civic buildings. I would imagine it is just too expensive. Of course it would be wonderful, but is it feasible?

This seems like a very reasonable compromise, and it also allows variety and can be adapted to many different types of buildings in a vast metropolis that will become even more important as a city in the future.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

erbse, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by TimothyR; March 9th, 2013 at 03:56 AM.
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #620
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
For the area at Ernst-Reuter-Platz, this classic beauty was planned some years ago:

link

A design by Patzschke & Partner architects (a Berlin office for classical architecture), located between Otto-Suhr-Allee and Strasse des 17. Juni.

Perhaps this concept will be revived? Would be fantastic.

Wonderful! What a gem.

It reminds me of Manhattan.

In fact, there is something about the design and tone and layout and atmosphere of the city of Berlin that often reminded me of Manhattan.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Highcliff liked this post

Tags
alexanderplatz, berlin, capital city, construction, investment, stipson