daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #1021
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Frank Gehry designed the interior of the now under construction music center inside the magazin building of the State Opera. And hopefully he will be the one who wins the contest for the Hines Tower at Alexanderplatz. He's under the 4 finalists. Cross your fingers.
David Chipperfield (whose work I don't like) builds projects all over Berlin. You can't count them anymore...
And Renzo Piano will redesign one of his earlier buildings at Potsdamer Platz for public use.

Ludi liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; November 16th, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #1022
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57916

Berlin doesn't really give a shit about egomaniac starchitects. And that's a good thing imho.

Though of course some striking shiny highlights here and there are welcome, it doesn't really need starchitects to build them. I'd rather see something spectacular coming from youngsters, that'd be an amazing sight.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Ludi, Loathing liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1023
Tiaren

Only problem: The youngsters do build all the bland and boring Bauhaus boxes. That is, what they have learned and their budget is most of the time pretty low. I am very grateful, that at least here and there some star architects leave an exiting new building in Berlin. In the 90s Berlin was handled as the upcoming Mecca of architecture, but after Potsdamer Platz, Reichstag, Jewish Museum and the Hauptbahnhof nothing exciting happened again. Other European cities left Berlin in the dust already. Just look at the area around Hauptbahnhof and O2 Arena. :/ Or compare this thread to the ones of London, Paris etc...

Ji-Ja-Jot, erbse liked this post
Old November 17th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #1024
erbse
LIBERTINED

True. Still, Berlin is so heterogenous and cluttered already, that some bland and boring harmony rather is a good thing for the city's appearance. Though it indeed could need more highlights in newly built areas as around O2 World. First, Lüscher needs to go. Someone with vision for a true metropolis needs to take her place. I'm sure a lot of things will improve then, not everything of course.

Old November 17th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #1025
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 994

Berlin needs some reconstructed stucco buildings. Nothing special, just simple ordinary ones typical for Berlin.

Chadoh25 liked this post
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #1026
erbse
LIBERTINED

Of course that'd be great. Many ornamented buildings of Berlin have been magnificent. Even the ordinary, mass-produced ones.

Berlin could learn a lot from Leipzig in this regard. Check this thread: LEIPZIG | Boomtown of East Germany

Old November 17th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #1027
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21061

Stucco is horrible, it is pure clutter, it is something that shouldn't have place in contemporary post-modern architecture where larger-than-life, sleekness and big forms dominate architecture.
Old November 17th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #1028
Autostädter

There is nothing wrong with good modern architecture, but Berlin needs some more historic structure as an "anchor".
Old November 17th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #1029
erbse
LIBERTINED

Indeed. There would be nothing wrong with some projects like these in Berlin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse 107, Leipzig - facade reconstruction

http://www.stuck-lowe.de/de/index.ph...gallery&cid=13

cfredo, Jakob, CF221 liked this post
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1030
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
No, it doesn't have to be only for the rich, but people should live according to their income in different areas they can afford. We don't need poor people living in the city center as some sort of props or ode to social diversity (which is the impression I get when I read, in my still limited German-reading abilities, criticism of the gentrification of Kreuzberg, Friedschain and Prenzlauer-Berg), as in "your city is not cool if you don't have visible poor people living in the most famous neighborhoods"

I get the impression (not only from Berlin) that a significant part of the planning community/blogosphere thinks there are merits on having a lot of complex regulations, laws and mechanisms just to keep a "The Sims" appearance on its most famous areas so that the "right" mix of "broke but edgy" students, artists, professional with money-but-an-open-mind, the occasional exotic immigrant etc. are present to pay homage to whatever sociological view fosters this perception (that rich people, well-paid professionals, "boring" families with kids and other major demographic groups are somehow detrimental to the "unique vibe" of a place).

This all being said, there are some interesting projects U/C in Berlin, I like this thread for that. If you look into other European capitals, no other capital in Western Europe has anywhere as much new construction as Berlin.

The only two things I miss: something > 300m for Berlin. Something at least as tall as the Fernsehtrum and some high-rise cluster somewhere out there, only with modern buildings, to be a hub for the emerging high-tech industry of Berlin (the disused Tempelhof airport is just THE perfect place for an array of new buildings).
Your problem is that you don't believe in a democratic city where everyone is welcome. You don't believe in a socially mixed city. Your views on architecture and planning are almost fascist. You want to control the city, plan it to death and watch it work like a machine, you seem to hate the "chaos" that makes a city pleasant and interesting.

Berlin might be fine now, but what about the future? What will the city be like in 10 years? 20 years? Think ahead. You cannot approve of the current development in the housing sector by referring to the still very plentiful affordable housing. There will come a day when everybody has been priced out and there is nothing left to do. Is that the time to start being worried? Really? When it's too late?

The same argument is used by people to justify the destruction of old buildings. "Most of the city consists of old architecture anyway, one building is a drop in the sea". Is the plan really to keep on demolishing until old buildings become rare and then stop? I hope not.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #1031
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Your problem is that you don't believe in a democratic city where everyone is welcome. You don't believe in a socially mixed city. Your views on architecture and planning are almost fascist. You want to control the city, plan it to death and watch it work like a machine, you seem to hate the "chaos" that makes a city pleasant and interesting.
I totally agree! Sometimes Suburbanist really scares me...
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1032
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34650

Ohmstrasse 6

reco Immobilien

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

Autostädter, Tiaren, mb92 liked this post
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #1033
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Your problem is that you don't believe in a democratic city where everyone is welcome. You don't believe in a socially mixed city
Who said that?

I believe everyone has rights to live in a place as long as one has the income to pay for it. I also believe, on a city-level (not on a neighborhood-level, not
on a building-level), there should be policies that can accommodate people of all income spectrums to an extent.

I just don't believe the right way to do it is to carve out space for low-income housing on the most expensive areas of a city. I also don't see what can be bad about having low-income housing districts located in the same metro area, but - say - 20-30 min. away by subway or fast commuter train.

Quote:
Is the plan really to keep on demolishing until old buildings become rare and then stop? I hope not.
Ideally, yes. Only a few buildings from each era, presumably the most representative ones, should be preserved. Else, cities would need several times their footprint if no building was ever demolished.
Old November 18th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #1034
Autostädter

#Ohmstrasse: That's a scandal. Such a beautiful street, ruined.

Bavarian Angelshark, Ludi liked this post
Old November 18th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1035
Tiaren

Normally they try at least to make the rendering/visualisation look good, so they can get away with a crap design...but here the visualisation already looks fugly and cheap as hell.

By the way, that visualisation is already years old. (I've seen it long time ago) Hopefully it'll take some more years to plan and build this and in the meantime the design will completely change.

erbse liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; November 18th, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old November 18th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #1036
Suburbanist
on the road

I like the general idea of the desing (single-panel windows on a sleek cluterless wall). Hopefully they go ahead with it, and then over time other buildings on the street start looking like this one as they are replaced over time.
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #1037
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Historical Residences in "Königs Wusterhausen" - "Am Funkerberg 4"

The "HTP Immobilien" group realize the project "Historical Residences" in the old buildings of the telegraph office in the south-east of Berlin at the "radio mountain" ("Funkerberg") 47 appartments they will put in this building complex. They want to be ready in Sep 2015.

Source, © and more information: HTP Immobilien

Berlin Projects

Chadoh25, mb92, erbse liked this post
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #1038
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Who said that?

I believe everyone has rights to live in a place as long as one has the income to pay for it. I also believe, on a city-level (not on a neighborhood-level, not
on a building-level), there should be policies that can accommodate people of all income spectrums to an extent.

I just don't believe the right way to do it is to carve out space for low-income housing on the most expensive areas of a city. I also don't see what can be bad about having low-income housing districts located in the same metro area, but - say - 20-30 min. away by subway or fast commuter train.

Ideally, yes. Only a few buildings from each era, presumably the most representative ones, should be preserved. Else, cities would need several times their footprint if no building was ever demolished.
Berlin would not be Berlin without its older building stock. It's older buildings are what make it great. The same is true of Rome, Paris, London and so on. People don't go to Berlin for the ugly post 1950s buildings. People go for treasures of the past.

erbse liked this post
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #1039
Tiaren

Quote:
Hopefully they go ahead with it, and then over time other buildings on the street start looking like this one as they are replaced over time.
WHAT THE...?!

Ludi liked this post
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #1040
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Kurfürstendamm 170

Another "Tobias Noefer / Nöfer" building in Berlin.

source and © Nöfer architects

Thats how it looks for now: https://maps.google.de/maps?ie=UTF-8...ed=0CD4QxB0wAQ

Berlin Projects

Tiaren, Chadoh25, mb92, CF221 liked this post

Tags
alexanderplatz, berlin, capital city, construction, investment, stipson