daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:39 PM   #1321
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 7052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Two of the ten 150-metre highrises envisioned for Alexanderplatz are revealed: the Hines Tower and the Alexa Buroturm. If more firm highrise proposals are revealed during the coming years, and the Park Inn Hotel ends up being demolished, then I would like to see one of the new highrises on its site be a new hotel as a replacement for the Park Inn (no residential units or mixed-use, please).

The new hotel structure can be either of the plots marked "D1" or "D2".
Is the Park Inn is bad structural shape? Does it have some serious problem with asbestos that would make renovation economically unfeasible?

Sponsored Links

Old May 4th, 2014, 12:36 PM   #1322
Flyn

Likes (Received): 318

Palais Varnhagen / Französische Straße 56–60

I must say i like also the unagitated and pleasent serios Berlin style more and more. With extroverted star-architect-UFO-architecture you can so easily destroy/weaken/trivialize functioning ensembles/city contexts!
Nowadays I think other cities in the world can learn a lot from this philosophy/perception...

http://www.palais-varnhagen.de/

some can´t bear the silence in general life, but some can´t also bear the silence in architecture. Silent architecture can be very very strong....

erbse, mb92, Ludi, Brko, Ji-Ja-Jot and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by Flyn; May 4th, 2014 at 01:30 PM.
Flyn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #1323
towerpower123

Likes (Received): 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyn View Post
I must say i like also the unagitated and pleasent serios Berlin style more and more. With extroverted star-architect-UFO-architecture you can so easily destroy/weaken/trivialize functioning ensembles/city contexts!
Nowadays I think other cities in the world can learn a lot from this philosophy/perception...

http://www.palais-varnhagen.de/

some can´t bear the silence in general life, but some can´t also bear the silence in architecture. Silent architecture can be very very strong....
I absolutely love the New Berlin style, since I love Art Deco and Streamline Modern, but that one is too plain. Minimalist Architecture can be fantastic, but the details are incredibly important, and tend to show in renders. That one is a stuccoed box that will likely not turn out well. We'll have to see in 6 months or so when it is finished, given the incredible speed of smaller German developments.

If I don't say otherwise, all of my images are on my blog,
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar

erbse liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:53 AM   #1324
towerpower123

Likes (Received): 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Berlin's showcase boulevard Unter den Linden currently:

Photo taken by user Ludi (ref)

U-Bahn construction, theatre and library renovations; far in the back to the left highrise project UpperWest and frankly I don't know what the others are for. In the back of the photographer there's even more of course, for e.g. the City Palace reconstruction.

So if you plan to visit Berlin soon, be prepared for a lot of stuff going on!
Does anyone have an aerial view showing the massive number of cranes across Berlin? The city might look like Dubai did in 2007, minus the uglier skyscrapers!

If I don't say otherwise, all of my images are on my blog,
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar

phoenixboi08 liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #1325
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 339

Alexanderplatz VOLT Berlin FUTURE URBAN HOME of brands, lifestyle, food & leisure

J. Mayer H. has won an invited competition to design “Volt Berlin,” a new “shopping and urban experience” center near Berlin’s Alexanderplatz. The winning scheme offers a variety of experiential offerings, including multi-brand shopping, an indoor skydiving and event space, and a 7,500 square meter hotel, all within a single cubed complex whose organization is based off an uneven grid.

(c) J. Mayer H.

erbse, Ji-Ja-Jot, Ludi, Suburbanist, mb92 liked this post
Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #1326
Kampflamm
Mi fartas bone.

The colors in those renderings are just hilarious. The final result is gonna look like a plastic bunker.
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #1327
erbse
Alpha Bull

Likes (Received): 25169

Exciting concept! As a bloke who's into extreme sports a lot, I love it.

I just root for an even more colourful facade - if you want to be ridiculous, go fully ridiculous! No gray bare concrete shite please.

clouchicloucha liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #1328
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 19091

Thx Xorcist for charing here!
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #1329
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is the Park Inn is bad structural shape? Does it have some serious problem with asbestos that would make renovation economically unfeasible?
I don't think so; The Berlin city planning department thought up this masterplan in the early 1990s.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #1330
goschio
Oh sweet lord Jesus

Likes (Received): 884

Nice, looks like pure Sichtbeton.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:05 AM   #1331
GOL2007

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
Does anyone have an aerial view showing the massive number of cranes across Berlin? The city might look like Dubai did in 2007, minus the uglier skyscrapers!
Most of you are probably too young but this is nothing compared to the construction boom Berlin experienced in the 1990s...
Old May 19th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #1332
erbse
Alpha Bull

Ah well, I'd say it's almost on par. Of course there isn't a Potsdamer Platz scale project currently, but the overall construction activity in Berlin is very impressive. And there's loads of stuff in the pipeline.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:18 PM   #1333
erbse
Alpha Bull

Alternative proposal for the Volt Entertainment Center (feat. Jochen Schweizer) near Alexanderplatz shown in post #1325 (second winner, by Kadawittfeld Architektur):

/kadawittfeldarchitektur, competitiononline

mb92 liked this post
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:44 PM   #1334
erbse
Alpha Bull

Alea 101 progress

Alea 101 | Berlin-Mitte (close to TV Tower/Fernsehturm, Alexanderplatz)

Berlin forum thread

Official website: www.alea-101.de

Project facts
  • Use: Mixed - 10.500sqm of stores and restaurants, 1.600sqm of office space,
    1.600sqm of 14 exclusive apartments on top
  • 5 floors, 30m high, next to Berlin TV Tower base
  • Developer: Redevco

Renders:

Source

Source

Source

It approaches completion, facade is widely assembled:

by user theBluePhoenix, seen from Park Inn Berlin hotel tower

all 3 by user noisrevid

theBluePhoenix, MattSid, Ludi, mb92 liked this post
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:02 AM   #1335
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 270

I was walking with my friend while in Berlin, and he couldn't understand why anyone would want to live in Alexanderplatz (he thinks it's noisy and obnoxious).

I'm guessing that's not a usual perception (or the city is trying to rebrand the plaza)?
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:09 AM   #1336
ELH

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I was walking with my friend while in Berlin, and he couldn't understand why anyone would want to live in Alexanderplatz (he thinks it's noisy and obnoxious).

I'm guessing that's not a usual perception (or the city is trying to rebrand the plaza)?
Alex is showcase of communist architecture, overdimensioned and "over-planned". Big dimensions can be excilerating and have quality, but mostly when it grew organically and on demand initiatives (like Manhatten). The planned city centre aroun Alex, is cold and architecturally understimulating.

However, even may attract some people to it. Worn down, like it was after re-unification, it appeared like a failed, "post-civilization" centre attracting Berlins underground culture as scene for their creative impulses. There was a feeling of starting from scratch, that everything goes. This feeling is still there to some extent, although threatened by re-development.

Re-development at Alex is largely limited by the street layout and existing architecture from the DDR-period (much of which have gotten renovated, despite wishes of a more throrough re-development).

ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:30 PM   #1337
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELH View Post
Alex is showcase of communist architecture, overdimensioned and "over-planned". Big dimensions can be excilerating and have quality, but mostly when it grew organically and on demand initiatives (like Manhatten). The planned city centre aroun Alex, is cold and architecturally understimulating.

However, even may attract some people to it. Worn down, like it was after re-unification, it appeared like a failed, "post-civilization" centre attracting Berlins underground culture as scene for their creative impulses. There was a feeling of starting from scratch, that everything goes. This feeling is still there to some extent, although threatened by re-development.

Re-development at Alex is largely limited by the street layout and existing architecture from the DDR-period (much of which have gotten renovated, despite wishes of a more throrough re-development).
I guess, from what I gather, it would be like trying to get people to want to live in Times Square...Busy, loud, and nothing locals seem to find attractive.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:35 PM   #1338
erbse
Alpha Bull

I'd say Alex is vastly different from Times Square. If any, the Breitscheidplatz feels sort of similar, though not quite as hostile.

Many people moving to Berlin prefer to live close to the bustling areas. Living right at its pumping eastern heart must be heaven then.

Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:03 PM   #1339
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 7052

I was wondering... what if they build a new observation tower in Tempelhof, like 500m high? Unlikely and expensive, but it would be awesome. It would then form a triangle with 2 other high towers in Berlin
Old May 25th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #1340
erbse
Alpha Bull

^ Well, we'll get The Berg anyway, no observation tower needed at Tempelhof.

http://www.the-berg.de/

Awesome prezi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KdTvSRF_hA

mb92, Bosi liked this post

Tags
alexanderplatz, berlin, capital city, stipson