daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #161
beta29
*Made in Estonia*

Likes (Received): 68

2. Yes there are plans to restore the East side Gallery......but sorry....i dont know when
beta29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #162
beta29
*Made in Estonia*

Likes (Received): 68

3. Don´t know about the wheel. It has been stopped because the people from the so called "Wirtschaftshof"(I think there´s a university next to it too) don´t agree that the wheel will be built so near to the building.....

Hope construction will go on....
beta29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #163
dklicious.
Granny don't!

Likes (Received): 35

If no one else is going to post an update post, I'm gonna do it on the 10th/11th of February.
A lot of people are busy at the moment, I guess.

The American Embassy is kind of a disappointment for some.
But let's not evaluate the building before construction work is going to be finished.
Pictures:
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8...2editedbe8.jpg
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2...6editedls0.jpg
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1...4editedfz0.jpg
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8...7editedjb7.jpg
Pictures: Ben (www.deutsches-architektur-forum.de)

I don't think there are any plans for the East Side Gallery.
What do you want to see restored? Any images of what you mean exactly?

As for the Berlin Wheel: The ground-breaking ceremony was celebrated on Dec 03, 2007.
I don't live in Berlin and there are no web cams at all but I think construction work has started.

Edit: Lol, beta was first.
Anyway, I'm not 100% sure about the East Side Gallery and the Wheel. But I think the Wheel will definitely be built.
dklicious. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #164
GeneratorNL
From Holland with love

Likes (Received): 892

I'm currently living and working in Berlin, and will be for the next 3 weeks. I've made a lot of construction photo's in the last few days, but unfortunately I will not be able to upload the pics from my hotel here in Berlin. So you all will have to wait to see the pics untill I'm back in the Netherlands (which will be the 16th of February). I took pictures from well-known projects like the American Ambessy and the demolishion of the Pallast der Republik, but also from little-known residential projects in the eastern part of Berlin.

The backside of the American Ambessy (the side of the Jewish Memorial) looks very disappointing to me (I haven't walked past the front side of the building though).

If anyone has requests for pictures of building projects in Berlin, please let me know and I will try to go there. But as I said, I will not be able to post them until the 16th of February.
GeneratorNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #165
Darryl

Likes (Received): 102

Thanks you guys! Sorry for being a whiny pain in the ass. Other cities just have much more active posters here on SSC than Berlin does. I'm from Baltimore and the Baltimore posters here on SSC are so active that I think I've been spoiled by that.

1. The US Embassy: Thanks for the pics! I don't think it looks that bad.

2. The East Side Gallery: This is something that completely perplexes me! I simply cannot understand why Berlin does not seem to notice the state of disrepair it's in, or the importance of getting it restored ASAP. Let me tell you something as a foreigner myself, when people around the world who are not from Germany think of Berlin, they think of the Berlin Wall. When they come to Berlin, guaranteed they will be looking for the Berlin Wall. It also perplexes me that dklicious just asked me what exactly I mean as if he/she doesn't see what is wrong with it! Have you been there?? I was there in Sept. 2006 and it looks like crap! It is crumbling, the paint is coming off, there is graffiti all over it, you can barely see some of the paintings, it looks like something in the worst and most neglected neighborhood of Detroit, need I go on? It's embarrassing. The last I heard, which I think was a year ago, was that there was a group pushing to have it restored but Berlin couldn't afford it. How expensive can restoring a concrete wall be??!! The article said that restoration would mean removing the coroded outer layer, getting all the original artists back to redo their paintings, and I think putting some kind of protective coating on it. Isn't the cost of this worth it??? It's like Paris not taking care of the Eiffel Tower, or New York letting the Statue of Liberty fall into disrepair. I would say even pay guards to watch over it 24/7 to discourage vandals. Whatever it takes.

3. The Berlin Wheel: That sucks that it is not going forward.
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #166
dklicious.
Granny don't!

Darryl,
it's been a while since I've been there the last time.
You're right about the deadbeat condition of the East Side Gallery.
I agree on the opinion that the Berlin Wall needs some decent restoration process.
You just gotta know that Berlin is poor as..
Anyway, there is an article from 28/07/07, which basically says the following things:
- Berlin's senate approved 1,3 million € for the inside renovation
- old artists, which painted the majority of the East Side Gallery, are probably going
to repaint the wall, but the costs for those artists will be approx. 2 million € more.
- there is no investor for those 2 million €, so the project is going to need more donations
- the area is part of the Mediaspree project, the wall shall adjoin to a park and a new promenade

Link to the article [German]
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #167
Darryl

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklicious. View Post
Darryl,
it's been a while since I've been there the last time.
You're right about the deadbeat condition of the East Side Gallery.
I agree on the opinion that the Berlin Wall needs some decent restoration process.
You just gotta know that Berlin is poor as..
Anyway, there is an article from 28/07/07, which basically says the following things:
- Berlin's senate approved 1,3 million € for the inside renovation
- old artists, which painted the majority of the East Side Gallery, are probably going
to repaint the wall, but the costs for those artists will be approx. 2 million € more.
- there is no investor for those 2 million €, so the project is going to need more donations
- the area is part of the Mediaspree project, the wall shall adjoin to a park and a new promenade

Link to the article [German]

No offense meant personally to you dklicious. Vielen Dank for the article!
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #168
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
2. The East Side Gallery: This is something that completely perplexes me! I simply cannot understand why Berlin does not seem to notice the state of disrepair it's in, or the importance of getting it restored ASAP. Let me tell you something as a foreigner myself, when people around the world who are not from Germany think of Berlin, they think of the Berlin Wall. When they come to Berlin, guaranteed they will be looking for the Berlin Wall. It also perplexes me that dklicious just asked me what exactly I mean as if he/she doesn't see what is wrong with it! Have you been there?? I was there in Sept. 2006 and it looks like crap! It is crumbling, the paint is coming off, there is graffiti all over it, you can barely see some of the paintings, it looks like something in the worst and most neglected neighborhood of Detroit, need I go on? It's embarrassing. The last I heard, which I think was a year ago, was that there was a group pushing to have it restored but Berlin couldn't afford it. How expensive can restoring a concrete wall be??!! The article said that restoration would mean removing the coroded outer layer, getting all the original artists back to redo their paintings, and I think putting some kind of protective coating on it. Isn't the cost of this worth it??? It's like Paris not taking care of the Eiffel Tower, or New York letting the Statue of Liberty fall into disrepair. I would say even pay guards to watch over it 24/7 to discourage vandals. Whatever it takes.
That's a very good point. You know, I think many Germans are quite happy with it in a terrible state. One thing I noticed about Germans is that many don't seem to be too bothered by graffiti. It's a weird thought, but I really believe it's true.

Anyway, I hope something is done about it because it is in a terrible state.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:53 AM   #169
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Wow, thats alot of ugly buildings. It reminds me of the structures from the 60's and 70's. They lack aesthetic design. Why not design more classic structures with touches of modern instead of building glass boxes? Are there any reconstructions going on in Berlin?
Old February 3rd, 2008, 06:40 PM   #170
Andre_Filipe
On The Horizon

Likes (Received): 5266

I don't understand, are you rebuilding the city castle?
Andre_Filipe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #171
GNU
Gnuru

The construction site of the Spreedreieck:

For people who can understand german:

Wohnungsgesellschaft lässt Stuck zertrümmern
Die Zeit, in der Stuck von Berliner Häusern geschlagen wurde, ist eigentlich vorbei. Doch in Schöneberg liegen Mieter mit der kommunale Wohnungsbaugesellschaft in Berlin (WIR) im Rechtsstreit, weil die WIR ein Haus entstucken will. Im April ist Verhandlungsbeginn – aber seit Dienstag wird wieder Stuck abgerissen.

Alt und neu: So wie hier im Prenzlauer Berg wünschen sie viele Berliner die Sanierung alter Häuser.

Der Lärm ist ohrenbetäubend. Als Heinz Jirout aus der Tür des eingerüsteten Mietshauses an der Schöneberger Zietenstraße tritt, fallen keine zwei Meter neben ihm große Brocken Stuck auf den abgesperrten Bürgersteig. Eine riesige Staubwolke umweht Jirout, der fassungslos den Arbeitern auf dem Baugerüst zuschaut, wie sie mit ihren Pressluftmeißeln die letzten noch verbliebenen Stuckteile von der einst prachtvoll verzierten Fassade des um 1900 erbauten Hauses schlagen.

"Das ist eine ganz große Sauerei“, sagt Heinz Jirout. "Mir ist vollkommen unverständlich, wie man mit dem wertvollen kulturellen Erbe so umgehen kann“. Der Zorn des Architekten, der seit 1990 in der Zietenstraße Nummer 15 lebt, richtetet sich gegen den Hauseigentümer: Die kommunale Wohnungsbaugesellschaft in Berlin (WIR), ein Tochterunternehmen der Gewobag. Der Ärger der Mieter in den Häusern Zietenstraße 15 und 17 begann im Frühling 2007, als vor den Fenstern der Bewohner ein Baugerüst aufgestellt wurde. "Wir konnten uns nicht erklären, was hier vorgeht“, sagt Heinz Jirout. Als in der benachbarten Schwerinstraße an einem ebenfalls der WIR gehörenden Gebäude die Stuckfassade abgeschlagen wurde, schrillten bei den Mietern in der Zietenstraße die Alarmglocken.

"Damals hatten wir das Gespräch mit der WIR gesucht. Uns wurde erklärt, dass sich die Fassade unseres Hauses in einem irreparabel schlechten Zustand befände“, so Jirout. Da der auf Altbausanierung spezialisierte Architekt die Darstellung der Wohnungsbaugesellschaft anzweifelte, überlegte Jirout zusammen mit den anderen Hausbewohnern, was sie zur Rettung ihrer Fassade unternehmen könnten. Die Mieter entschlossen sich, einen Rechtsanwalt zu beauftragen. Der erwirkte wenig später eine einstweilige Verfügung gegen die Entfernung des Stucks vor dem Amtsgericht Schöneberg. Die WIR wollte diese Entscheidung des Gerichts jedoch nicht anerkennen und legte im August Einspruch gegen das Urteil ein. Im April soll es nun zur Verhandlung vor dem Landgericht kommen.

Die Baustadträtin ist entsetzt aber machtlos

"Seitdem war Stille“, erinnert sich Heinz Jirout. Doch seit zwei Wochen wird am Gerüst wieder gearbeitet. Jirout und die anderen Mieter ahnten nichts Gutes. Als der 46-Jährige am vergangenen Dienstagnachmittag seine Wohnung betrat seien plötzlich die Fenster zugenagelt gewesen "und die Bude war dunkel“, so Jirout. Seitdem meißeln die Bauarbeiter kräftig. Die Fassade ist bereits fast vollständig ihrer Zierde beraubt. "Die wollten vor der Gerichtsverhandlung wohl Tatsachen schaffen“ glaubt der gebürtige Wiener: "Was weg ist, ist weg.“ Dieser Einschätzung widerspricht der Sprecher der Gewobag, Volker Hartig: "Da wir eine Vorwegnahme des Gerichtsverfahrens vermeiden wollten, haben wir zuvor die einzelnen Stuckteile abgeformt, um eine spätere Rekonstruktion zu ermöglichen, falls das Gericht gegen uns entscheiden sollte“. Das Urteil habe jedoch nicht abgewartet werden können, da ein längeres Stehenlassen des Baugerüsts die Wohnqualität der Mieter erheblich gemindert hätte. "Bevor wir das Gerüst abbauen, müssen wir aber die schadhafte Stuckfassade entfernen. Denn die Sicherheit der Mieter und Besucher hat für uns allerhöchste Priorität“, so Hartig. Ein Gutachten habe ergeben, dass die Fassade eine "Gefahr für die Verkehrssicherheit“ darstelle.

Stadträtin Sibyll Klotz (Grüne), die Baustadtrat Bernd Krömer (CDU) vertritt, zeigte sich "entsetzt“ über die Arbeiten, gegen die sie "keine rechtliche Handhabe“ besitze. Sie hoffe jedoch, dass sich die WIR an eine im vergangenen Jahr mit dem Bezirk getroffene Verabredung hält. "Die Vereinbarung war, wenn Stuck noch einmal entfernt werden sollte, muss er wiederhergestellt werden“. Ob die WIR dieser Forderung im vollen Umfang nachkommen muss, wird das Gericht entscheiden.

GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #172
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Screw them for removing the ornaments. Houses just look crappy w/o them.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #173
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

A project near the Hackesche Höfe

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

mb92 liked this post
Old February 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #174
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archiv...n__504994g.jpg

great example of how plain ugly an empty facade looks compared to an ornamented one
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #175
GNU
Gnuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archiv...n__504994g.jpg

great example of how plain ugly an empty facade looks compared to an ornamented one
Theyre both ornamented.
This is what happens when you take off the Stuck:

http://www.frankeimer.de/Modersohn%20Hellmig%20007.jpg
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #176
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

The pink house looks to be partially entstuckt though.

Old February 10th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #177
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

that is what i meant, the upper right corner of the pink house is so empty, the color only changes a minimum (it can be worse, grey i.g.), compared to the lower left corner on the same building.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #178
dklicious.
Granny don't!

Removing such ornaments from old buildings is a crime against humanity.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #179
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

they should restore them both to their former glory!
Old February 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #180
dklicious.
Granny don't!

Massive update coming along!

O² World
Part of the Mediaspree project

Click this link for images
Then click on 'Baustellenfotos 18.01.08'.

Click here for renders of the finished project.
Aussenansichten = exterior view, Innenansichten = interior view

Upper East Side Berlin
Unter den Linden/Friedrichstraße

This bulding gives the Friedrichstraße an even more urban look.

(c) Jo-King 2008

Webcam:

Rendering:

die mitte
Alexanderplatz

Webcam:

Rendering:

(c) Jo-King 2008

Jacob- und Wilhelm-Grimm-Zentrum
Library of the Humboldt university

Construction status:

(c) Jo-King 2008

Rendering:

(c) baunetz.de

Old government district
gmp building and ministry for environment

Rendering gmp bulding:

Construction status (September 07):

(c) Jo-King 2007

Rendering ministry for environment:

(c) Jo-King 2007

Construction status (September 07):

(c) Jo-King 2008

Berlin townhouses

Construction status (28/01/08)
Official Site

+New building, hotel school Berlin:

Fehrbelliner
Appartments, Lofts, Flats

Now under construction. Aaaaaaaaawesome project!

Renderings/Impressions:

(c) fehrbelliner.de

Palais Kolle Belle
Appartments, Lofts, Flats

Great project as well. Love those two (Fehrbelliner and Palais Kolle Belle).

Webcam:

Sketches:

More of this, please.

Parkquartier Chausseestraße
Construction work has started a few days ago.

Other projects currently U/C

BBI Airport
Rossi Ruin
Spreedreieck

But all of them should be known to you (already posted in this thread).

Max Reinhardt Haus
,Am Zirkus'

Different renderings, but this seems to be the current one.
Construction will start in autumn 2008.

Hackesches Quartier
Hackescher Markt Süd

Renderings:

(c) IVG Development GmbH

Zoofenster
Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf

This project has been pushed around for almost 15 years now.
Finally, this time with an investor from Dubai, construction work shall begin in 2008.
This month the investor wants to present his plans with the building.

Height: 118 meters

No one knows if this is still the current rendering, but maybe there will be
a new design for this project. Let's wait until the End of February and see what will happen.

Atlas Tower
Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf

Basically the same with the Atlas Tower.
Height: 118 meters as well.

Construction work shall also begin in 2008.

Atlas Tower on the left, Zoofenster on the right side.

The Cube
Berlin-Hauptbahnhof (central station)

New Deutsche Bahn headquarters.
Renderings:

All Images (c) Vivico Real Estate

Scandic Hotel
Potsdamer Platz

Renderings:

Quartier am Tacheles

Omg please build this one.
Totally awesome project imo.

Possible Bombardier headquarters
Eike Becker Architekten

- building application submitted
- height: 120 meters

Renderings:

(c) Eike Becker Architekten

Trumpet Tower (mini skyscraper)
Alexanderplatz

- chances of realization obviously less than zero

Renderings:

mb92 liked this post

Last edited by dklicious.; February 16th, 2008 at 05:45 PM.

Tags
alexanderplatz, berlin, capital city, construction, investment, stipson