daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #1
AmiDelf

Likes (Received): 3

Kopenhagen and its Metro

I was in Kopenhagen this week, tested out their Metro and walked, walked and walked alot. It`s such a nice city actually, but its pollution I think must be some of worlds worst polluted cities.

Why? There are driving cars everywhere! Everywhere! And with only 2 small Metro lines, it dosent cover city at all.

So, here is a good plan for making Kopenhagen a much better place to live in.

- Get the tram back to Kopenhagen. The streets are so big, that they could easy fit tram in the middle.

- Hava a pay toll ring arround the city, so that the public transport would gain money out of it.

- Create more Metro lines. 2 lines for a 1 million city is just to little. Warsaw only got one line, but there is tramlines everywhere which covers the city.

If the world wants to work against globalwarming and the destruction of lands, DENMARK should atleast care, because Denmark is just above the sea. Himmelbjerget is the highest point.

If the ice melts, Denmark will be gone.

I wish that Denmark started to do something about this.
AmiDelf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #2
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Aren't you forgetting their extensive commuter rail system?
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #3
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3658

Of course, he is forgetting that...
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 02:05 PM   #4
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

AmiDelf,
I'm gonna try and comment your points.

First of all - Copenhagen is not a very polluted city at all, not even top 10 in Europe. I think Oslo is way more poluted (or at least it can be), because of it's location. Sure, Copenhagen has problems with car traffic, but it's not that bad in my opinion.

You're right that Copenhagen today has 2 lines in it's Metro (M) system. However, a third ring-line has been approved already.
You are also forgetting the eminent S-system which today is a true metro (and not commuter trains - that system is called the Re-system) by definition.

Although, I would love to get the tram system back both to Copenhagen and Malmo - I can't understand why they were scrapped.

I think there have been talks about having a toll system similar to that of London's, but I'm not sure about the situation today.

More lines are created, both for the M and the S system. These two systems has over 100 stations today which is quite a lot for a 1,8 million (not one million ) city.

All in all, I think Copenhagen has one of the best public transportation systems in the world in comparission to the city's size. But of course, it could always be improved!
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #5
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Thanks for pionting that out.
cphdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #6
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

COPENHAGEN | Public Transport

I haven't seen anything about this in this forum so I thought it might be nice to have a thread...

Københavns (Copenhagen) Kommune, Frederiksberg Kommune and the Danish State Government have reached an agreement for the 4th stage of the metro system.

The line will run in a circle, connecting inner city bouroughs with the centre, main train station and current metro lines. The line will run from Indre Byen (Copenhagen's centre) through Vesterbro, Frederiksberg, Nørrebro, and Østerbro. It will provide direct rail access to the city centre for inner city residents and provide a second connection to regular train services and the S-tog at Hovedbanegården (Central Station).

The line will be 100% underground automated metro. Stations should be similar to the underground ones currently found on M1&M2 lines.

Map:

Placed on a overhead photo of the city:

Copenhagen's Current System consists of two lines from Amager to Vanløse which join at Christianshavn. The system was built in 2002. It consists of elevated and underground track served by 100% automated trains. The trains have no driver's cabins.

All underground stations have natural light via a complex system of mirrors and glass pyramids at street level:

Trains:

photos courtesy of UrbanRail.net

austrian liked this post
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #7
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

When was it built?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #8
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
When was it built?
The current two lines were finished in 2002. An extension of the m2-line to the airport will be opened 28th september this year (5 new stations).
If I remember correct the city-ring should be finished around 2018.

For more info visit: http://www.m.dk/en/welcome.htm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_Metro

my flickr
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #9
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 103

Here's a good map for a quick overview of most of the Copenhagen S-train and Metro network:

my flickr

mrsmartman liked this post
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 03:44 AM   #10
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Awesome. With Copenhagen, you just know the stations are going to look amazing.

I wish this new ring line was running when I lived in Copenhagen. I lived beside Islands Brygge station, and my college was at Enghaev Plads. It would have been so much easier to get to
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:09 PM   #11
Thorin
Unforgivable

Likes (Received): 1

Brescia u/c metro will use the same system of Copenhagen, with automated trains and natural light in the stations.
Thorin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:52 AM   #12
milwaukee-københavn

That's great. It's a really expensive system, Copenhagen is doing it more to make a statement than just for transit purposes. They even say as much on the planning website. You should make a thread for Brescia, I've never heard of it before.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:00 AM   #13
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

How much will this new line cost, and how many kilometers is it?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:50 AM   #14
milwaukee-københavn

There has yet to be decided which of two possible routes the kine should take through Frederiksberg (on the left of the maps), so the route could either be 14,8km or 15,4km depending on the route.

Either way, it is expected to cost somewhere between 11 and 18 billion kroner (divide by about 7,5 for Euro). There are exact numbers for each option but they're very similar and metro projects never cost exactly what was planned.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:09 AM   #15
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

So somewhere between 2 and 3.5 billion Cdn. I'm just comparing that to the new line being built here, which is supposed to cost 2 billion Cdn for 19km (almost half above ground though). Interestingly, with Vancouver's line they seem to have the opposite approach - doing everything they can to do the bare minimum and keep costs down.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:24 AM   #16
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

If it will be circular line, is that mean that the trains will drive in one direction like clockwise, or there will be trains operating in a different direction?
And, when will the construction finish?
DJZG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM   #17
micro

Likes (Received): 106

There is bidirectional operation on almost all circular metro lines in the world. Unidirectional mini-loops are a very rare exception.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM   #18
milwaukee-københavn

It will be bi-directional. A sigle direction line would defeat the stated purpose of making transit easier in the inner city.
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #19
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18149

I've always wondered why the main train station wasn't connected to the metro system, although there is an S train connection and then transfer at Norreport.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #20
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Nörreport is actually the busiest station in all of Denmark, plus the fact that it is more centrally located (well, both are) than the Central Station.