daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #561
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3594

dimlys1994 liked this post
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2015, 05:26 PM   #562
bongo-anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbendallas View Post
Unfortunately no. But when they do, they have the option of buying 4 car trains, thereby increasing train capacity by 25-30%.

Isn´t it just adding a 4th car to the current trains.
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:09 PM   #563
korbendallas

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo-anders View Post
Isn´t it just adding a 4th car to the current trains.
Possibly, but it would be cheaper to order 4 car trains when they replace the rolling stock, instead of rebuilding the existing trains.
korbendallas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:24 PM   #564
Mr.Joke
I like trains!!

Likes (Received): 4

I was in Copenhagen last year and I think it would be a good idea to reintroduce the tram in this city
Old September 21st, 2015, 06:42 PM   #565
hans280

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Joke View Post
I was in Copenhagen last year and I think it would be a good idea to reintroduce the tram in this city
Hm, yes perhaps, but where exactly? When I was a young man in Copenhagen people used to say "we should never have scrapped the trams". However, I have a problem with that, because the old trams were driving in the middle of the road, and once the car traffic boomed the trams got stuck in the same traffic jams as the rest. There was no added advantage of using public transport. Characteristically, the few European cities that had tramways without interruption from the 1950s to the 1990s are places like Vienna and Brussels where the trams dive underground in the centre of town. The cities that are now reintroducing trams do so on broad boulevards and suburban main axes where the trams can (at least for most of their trajectory) be granted separate lanes. I could think of a couple of main roads out of Copenhagen's city centre where trams might be great, but I don't see it as a solution for the narrow roads in the old town.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:18 PM   #566
bongo-anders

For now its only the light rail along Ring 3 that is being build but several other lines has been suggested, some more serious than others.

The most promising one is going from Herlev Hospital at Ring 3, then it will continuing along Frederikssundsvej to Nørrebro station.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 11:15 PM   #567
ncronin

Likes (Received): 13

Anyone know the status of the Kongens Nytorv construction? I'd love to be able to access the square the next time I visit
ncronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 11:24 PM   #568
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Funny you should ask. I actually took a video during August of this year. The square is still not able to be accessed as far as I can see.

This is how it looks at present.

Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 12:06 PM   #569
kapo311

Likes (Received): 1178

The square will be re-established during 2017-2018 according to the current schedule. So if I were you, I wouldn't plan the visit before 2019.
kapo311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #570
bongo-anders

Minerva is departed for Skjolds Plads.

Eva is being assembled in the chamber at Nørrebroparken and should follow Minerva in a not so distant future.

At Øster Søgade Nora is being assembled, she should be departing towards Østerport in 1 months time.

There are no news about Tria.

dimlys1994, arctic_carlos, Swede liked this post
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #571
jacint.mif

Likes (Received): 5

mm, not really, the overwhelming majority of the viennese tram network is above ground, with many in the city centre sharing the road. The same can be said of Prague, Amsterdam, Milan, Zurich, Turin, Rotterdam..Actually most of the cities that maintained their tramway networks still operate above ground, traffic sharing trams. I think only in Germany are those underground city centre sections relatively common.
jacint.mif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #572
bongo-anders

Tram or not to tram.

Eva has started her journey from Nørrebroparken to Øster Søgade, next checkpoint is of course Nørrebro station.

[/QUOTE]

Old October 5th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #573
hans280

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacint.mif View Post
mm, not really, the overwhelming majority of the viennese tram network is above ground, with many in the city centre sharing the road. The same can be said of Prague, Amsterdam, Milan, Zurich, Turin, Rotterdam..Actually most of the cities that maintained their tramway networks still operate above ground, traffic sharing trams. I think only in Germany are those underground city centre sections relatively common.
Yes and no. I am no "home expert" on most of the cities you invoke. I am aware that they do have trams in the central urban environment - but as far as I know the trams mostly skirt the absolute city centre or "old town". Last time I was in Prague I saw no trams on the Charles Bridge or in the heart of the iconic Mala Strana. Last time I was in Brussels I "saw" plenty of trams underneath the Brouckiere historic quarter.

The one point I'd have to concede is Zurich. Trams in the heart of town do work well there. But IMO that's because the car drivers are so disciplined (or at least we're 20 years ago when I lived there...) that no one advanced toward a green light if they had eyed an approaching tram 200m down the road.
Old October 6th, 2015, 03:30 PM   #574
ComradeFrana

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
Last time I was in Prague I saw no trams on the Charles Bridge or in the heart of the iconic Mala Strana.
While it's true that there are no trams (anymore) on the Charles Bridge, there's a tram line on literally the first street from the eastern end.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/50.08601/14.41463

Also, there IS a tram line going through Malá Strana right through the central square. Really hard to miss actually.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/50.08779/14.40499
ComradeFrana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #575
hans280

Well, I guess we shall have to agree to disagree about the word "heart" then? I would have considered the Carmelite Street as (per my earlier posting) peripheral. My point of reference is the very centre of old Copenhagen where, prior to the second WW, trams ran through quarters that are these days either pedestrians-only or clogged with cars and diesel-pouting busses.
Old October 14th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #576
1993matias

Likes (Received): 34

I have posted a Google map of my take on buses in Copenhagen before, and somebody asked for a map with the Cityring included. This was more challenging, as some routes that are popular today would become excessive with the metro. This has led to some major route changes, some of which include:
  • Line 3A removed, 1A now takes that route instead of going through the centre.
  • Line 8A (18) shortened, some of Jagtvej now served by line 42
  • Line 10A (11A) reintroduced as local bus in the centre
  • Lines through the old town again via Nørregade
And many other minor changes. I would be more than happy to get critique, comments and reasoning behind your thoughts

Please note the light rail on ring 3 is not included, as it is practically line 300S/330E on rails.

Map is here. Please note editing is on for you to be able to follow routes more easily. Try not to change anything, and if you do, there is always the undo button
The table with detailed information about headways, bus size and routing is located HERE

Please do ask, I will be more than happy to discuss this unrealistic vision!

1993matias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #577
bongo-anders

Latest Aerials from the City Circle Line.

http://m.dk/#!/stations/byggepladser...fotos+okt+2015

I will post a few of them.

Rådhuspladsen - City Hall Square

Sønder Boulevard - The division chamber to the control & maintenance Center and the future extension of M4 to Ny Elleberg.

Havneholmen - The second Division chambers out of 3, this one splits the line up to M4 for Ny Ellebjerg and the Control & Maintenance Center.

Control & Maintenance Center at Otto Busses Vej.

Kongens Nytorv - Kings New Square

Sortedamsø/Øster Søgade - The 3rd division chamber (M4 for Orientkaj) but also a tunnel construction site.

Nørrebro Station

Marmorkirken - Marble Church

Arnorian, dimlys1994, NS162, 8166UY liked this post
Old October 17th, 2015, 12:18 AM   #578
bongo-anders

New layout of Kongens Nytorv when they are done digging.

dimlys1994, Swede liked this post
Old October 17th, 2015, 12:21 AM   #579
bongo-anders

Local forum member stonodk visited the construction site at the city hall square during the culture night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonoDk View Post
Images from kulturnatten @ Rådhuspladsen.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

dimlys1994, Swede, Arnorian liked this post
Old October 26th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #580
bongo-anders

Tunnel drilling has started on the last stage of the circle line, its Nora that has started her trip from Øster Søgade to København H (central station) through the central core of the city.

Next stop will be Østerport station in 1-2 months time.

Her sibling Tria will start on in 1-2 months time.

If no one beats me to it I will post the progress map when I get home from work tonight.

A 5th and yet unnamed TBM will drill the 2 tunnels between Nordhavn and Øster Søgade and will start from Nordhavn in the summer, I think that June has been mentioned.