daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #41
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

Here's a booklet that shows the preliminary designs for all of the ring stations.

http://www.m.dk/cityringen/nyheder/nabomapper.aspx

There's a list of stations. If you click on the station, you can download the preliminary plan of it.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #42
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

We should perhaps point out, that the whole thing may be delaid, because of the station issues at Gammel Strand/Christiansborg and (perhaps) Marmorkirken
cphdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:39 AM   #43
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Any more metro lines planned?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:14 AM   #44
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6385

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
No, sadly the system here works with the completing one project before thinking about the next one

But there have been talk about expanding the S-Train ( Copenhagen's other metro system ) to cover more of the inner city by a new underground stretch..

My hopes aren't too high at the moment, but if planned right it could coexist fine with the new city ring..

Time will tell.. and to be fair, with the city ring there really isn't much need for more metro.. atleast not downtown - but I guess there's always room for new routes running out in sururbia the few places where the S-Train doesn't already cover..
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:12 AM   #45
LtBk

Better than nothing IMO. As you know, there are cities here in the US that wished they had something similar to what you guys have.
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:07 PM   #46
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude View Post
We should perhaps point out, that the whole thing may be delaid, because of the station issues at Gammel Strand/Christiansborg and (perhaps) Marmorkirken
What is/are Gammel Strand/Christiansborg and/or Marmorkirken? Sorry if they happen to be places or monuments, not too familiar with Copenhagen. But thanks for the info in this thread, the metro there definitely looks very asthetically pleasing.
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:50 PM   #47
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6385

Quote:
Better than nothing IMO. As you know, there are cities here in the US that wished they had something similar to what you guys have.
Yeah I know and we don't have much to complain about here..

My beef is with the smalltown mentality of the politicians and decision makers.. be it tall buildings or large projects, they are always so scared of change or progress despite plenty of cash and room around..

One would think people go into politics to make a change, not to keeps things exactly like they are

( it's a hole cultural thing - don't stand out, don't be flashy etc etc bla bla bla )
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #48
Never give up

Likes (Received): 7494

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
What is/are Gammel Strand/Christiansborg and/or Marmorkirken? Sorry if they happen to be places or monuments, not too familiar with Copenhagen. But thanks for the info in this thread, the metro there definitely looks very asthetically pleasing.
Explanation for mrtfreak:

Gammel Strand rendering here when the Metro is finished.
The fuss about this station was that the local (influential) Nimbys did not like the thought of a 3 year construction site outside their flats and suggested site in "other people back yards". Understandable enough, but their protests were rejected.

[IMG]http://i31.************/dqgjfr.jpg[/IMG]

The discussion about Marmor Kirken arose because people, including the Church Minister!!, were afraid that this historical church would collapse into the Metro station site during construction. (It was at the same time a building in Cologne collapsed into a Metro construction site)
The project was altered slightly (2m lower and 1m to the north) and the government then approved the project.
I´m not so concerned about Freki`s worries about the planning process.
I believe this concerns only the layout of the plazas above the stations.
I would be more concerned about the fact that the Metro is being built for money, earned by selling building sites in Nordhavn and we can quess how much they are getting in at the moment.

[IMG]http://i27.************/2dm5hrn.jpg[/IMG]

Cross section in relation to the church´s wooden piles.

[IMG]http://i26.************/149czh3.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Never give up; August 12th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
Never give up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #49
Urbanus

Likes (Received): 714

Quote:
There have been talks and proposals about other lines and extensions, but so far, nothing is approved. Actually the city council have first decided to finance a chamber making a future branch from Nørrebro towards North West possible, but have withdrawn it since in the latest budget, making a future branch very difficult to build.

However these extensions have been considered/proposed, and so far non of them have been rejected, but non have them have been approved either. So it is unclear if they will be built. But as FREKI says, people here don't like to think very much ahead, and find it hard to plan somthing new, before what we're contructing now is completed. And prepare already now for something you might build in the future is completely inconceivable:

- A branch from Nørrebro towards North West (Brønshøj-Husum), a pre-study have proposed two alternatives: A short stretch with 3 stations (Hulgårds Plads, Brønshøj Torv, Husum (next to Føtex), a longer stretch with two sub-branches after Husum: 1:Tingbjerg, TV-Byen, Dynamovej, Herlev Hospital 2:Tingbjerg, TV-Byen, Gladsaxe Trafikplads

- A branch from central station toward south east, to serve the new developed areas in the habour, with stations at Fisketorvet, Teglholm, Sjællandsbroen/Frederikskaj, Mozarts Plads and Ny Ellebjerg. This branch will partly run on tracks that will be built anyway, since the metro depot will be situated a long this branch

- A hole new line that will run from Østerport to the new development area in the Northern Habour. Stations here is unclear. An early proposal have mentioned stations at Østerport, Strandboulevarden, Nordhavn and several stations in the new area.

So far the politicians are mostly hooked on the last one. But the first one is the one that is mostly needed.

As FREKI says, a new S-tog-tunnel have also been proposed with stations at Forum, Inner Nørrebro, Rigshospitalet and Vibenhus. This will serve areas that will be left uncovered by the Cityring, but so far, the politics have not been very excited about the idea.

In my opinion a metro is never finished, and i think more extensions will be needed, but maybe people won't realize it before the current contruction is over. There still is many part of the city, as well as the near suburbs/outskirt areas, there will not be served proper by the metro after the Cityring is completed. So there will still be need for more lines and branches. But time will tell. First we have to build a lot of motorways in Jutland, and then mayby in 10 years we can start talking about public transport in Copenhagen again...
Urbanus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #50
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanus View Post
So far the politicians are mostly hooked on the last one. But the first one is the one that is mostly needed.
Thanks for your recollection, Urbanus. It corresponds closely to what I myself had picked out of Danish electronic media over the last few years. I agree that politicials are "mostly hooked on the last one". In my view that's because of the relative success of the Orestad model (known elsewhere as the "New Urban Development Model") in financing Line 1/2: build a metro line through areas that are currently vacant, but owned by the authorities; then sell the land to developers and use the higher land prices that arise from the metro to finance the construction of the metro. One can understand why this appeals to politicians with budgets to keep.

This leaves the problem that politicians and planners will face a strong temptation to add three "legs" to the metro ring, whereas they can meaningfully have only two. The original plan - as far as I know - was to add a leg toward Husum (North West) and one toward Hvidovre (South West). The trains would then, in a distant future, come in from, say, Husum, do full circle on the ring and after their 360 degrees tour continue south west. The beauty of this is that one gets automatically a double frequency on the eastern part of the metro ring. (If one train is sent through every 6 minutes there'll be a train every 6 minutes on the two legs and on the western part of the city ring. On the eastern part of the metro ring there'll be a train very 3 minutes.) This is very neat because the eastern part of the ring is where by far most of the passengers will be. The current re-focusing on a line into the former docklands has thrown all the cards up in the air. Personally...

...I wonder if one day they won't come out in favour of a line that starts in the docklands, cuts the metro ring at Osterbro, continues through the northern part of the old city (say, Solvtorvet), stops at the University Hopital, stops once more on the inner Norrebro, cuts the metro ring again at Norrebro station, and continues toward Husum. It would solve several problems with one throw AND close a couple of silly "holes" in the metro map - especially the hospital which is situated next to the Panum Institute (a huge university colleague) and has the potential to be a very busy station indeed.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #51
Never give up

Copenhagen´s new Metro ring line superimposed on an aerial photo of the city, showing the it´s relation to the 2 existing metro lines.

[IMG]http://i30.************/24o5650.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #52
LoveCPH
Bonsoir l'Europe!

Likes (Received): 9

I still don't like it.
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #53
Schliemann

Likes (Received): 2

Could someone do a quick drawing over these possible extentions so i can better picture it.
Schliemann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #54
LtBk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveCPH View Post
I still don't like it.
Why?
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #55
Never give up

What do you like Love CPH?
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #56
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

I would prefer radial lines instead of a circle as well, but the most important thing is that more parts of the inner city are covered with rapid transit, and the city ring certainly solves that.
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #57
LoveCPH
Bonsoir l'Europe!

Likes (Received): 9

I agree with Staff, there's many curves.

I also dislike the stations. I prefer stations a la them in Prag and Berlin.

Nice weather today huh ?
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #58
Never give up

A very poor quality sketch of the possible extensions to the metro.
As mentioned in a earlier posting, none of the extensions are being prepared during construction of the Ring metro, making them very difficult and expensive to build at a later date.
As far as the Nordhavn line, there have been proposals to build this as a light rail (tram line) but any mention of the rebirth of trams in Copenhagen make politicians go in a kind of coma!
The fact that there will be no preparations for the metro extensions, could maybe mean, that if these lines ever are to be built, then the only way to do this is by building them as tramlines. Maybe common sense will prevail, even in Copenhagen, in the end.

[IMG]http://i29.************/idexsl.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #59
Schliemann

I agree that the line doesn't seem as pracitcal as i could be, because of these detours. But in my oppinion both Østerport and Triangeln are nessisary. Without the curve that comes after it the line would continue too long to the south. So the curves are nessisary to service the are well by connecting to the most important spots.
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #60
Schliemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never give up View Post
As mentioned in a earlier posting, none of the extensions are being prepared during construction of the Ring metro, making them very difficult and expensive to build at a later date.
How much preparation would be needed? They wouldn't need a new platform for these extetion (apart from the Østerport line). The new extetions would only split from the ring (like M1 and M2 do at Christianshavn) and use the excisting Nørrebro and København H stations.

I understand that i would disrupt service while in construction. But if they start from the other end it should be minimal, with no disruption on the east part of the line. Am I missing something crusial?