daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #741
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

Not much tunneling left to do now

But that station building... why not match the high-rises nearby in height and thus add more floor space?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #742
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3594

It seems like its on level with the surrounding buildings so I´m nut sure what high rises we are talking about.

Is it the Falconer hotel at Frederiksberg you think about.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 09:58 PM   #743
bongo-anders

The main ticket hall at Østerport will be closed the next 2,5 years as it will get a total renovation in preparation of the metro.

The current building is 120 years old and will be preserved as much as possible.

Access will be from the passenger bridge at the end of the platform and from the tunnels under Oslo Plads.
The underground bicycle parking will be removed in order to make space for the huge passenger flow.

The daily passenger numbers will rise from 27.000 to 50.000 when the metro station opens.

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/dk/swecodk...erport-1422122

http://www.bt.dk/danmark/efter-120-a...-lavet-helt-om

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2016, 10:18 PM   #744
bongo-anders

Minerva has left Trianglen and is on her last short trip to Øster Søgade.

Nora is expected to start her last journey on Saturday when she will drill the short stretch from Rådhuspladsen to the central station.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:05 AM   #745
ironredox

Likes (Received): 153

Hi there!

I have only recently been to Copenhagen and I salute you for the wonderful transport system you already have, and the ambitious extensions you are currently building.

I have a question concerning the current and the new (M3+4) metro lines - it appeared to me, that M1+2 were already operating at maximum capacity - yet they were terribly overcrowded during rush hour. While the new ring might arguably detract ridership away from the city centre and lead to a relief on the existing lines, it could be just well the other way round - the increased attractiveness yielding even more passengers on the east-west section.

Problem is - both lines operate at a 4-minute interval. Yet both are not free from delays, which leads to an M1 train having to wait for an M2 train to pass before it can enter Christianshavn station, and then follow the M2 in just some few metres' distance. I encountered this phenomenon several times.

So, since frequency can't be increased without compromising on reliability, is it planned to extend the length of trains? Or, is this even possible? On surface stations, this should not be a big problem, but underground stations seem to be too short for anything longer than 3-car trains. I found some section drawings but they indicate no 'extra' room behind the station walls to extend platforms in the future.

Is that correct, or are stations built to accommodate 4 or 5-car trains? And if not, is the ring thought to resolve the overcrowding? Or, is the system just struck by its own success, and are stations jut too short?
ironredox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 10:04 AM   #746
korbendallas

Likes (Received): 177

I asked a metro worker exactly that. And while it is possible to buy 4-car trains, it will be very expensive to do so. Platform screen doors will need to be rebuilt at every station. And the maintenance center itself will need extensive modifications, as everything there is made for a specific train length.

They are however counting on that m3 and m4 will offload Nørreport and Kongens Nytorv, as they will provide alternate routes.

ironredox liked this post
korbendallas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:30 PM   #747
bongo-anders

But a 4th car will eventual happen as Ørestad grows bigger and the area around Øresund station is also growing bigger and taller.

Also if M1 or M2 is finally extended to Rødovre or Brøndbyøster the passenger numbers will also increase on the western part of the lines so the extra capacity is needed at one point
Old December 3rd, 2016, 09:28 PM   #748
hans280

Likes (Received): 172

Wow!!!!! Then I'll really have to kip my hat to the French politician Christian Blanc: when they built Paris's metro line 14 he insisted on doubling the length of every platform beyond what was initially needed. To this day trains are only "half length " and only half the platform doors open. Mr Blanc argued at the time that the line would eventually be extended, the passenger number increased, at which point one should have ready-built capacity to accommodate this rather than having to rebuild the stations. Well.... seems like he was right?

ironredox, Swede liked this post
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 12:07 AM   #749
bongo-anders

But we don't need to rebuild the stations, just adjust the platform screen Doors to 4 cars instead of 3 and apparently some adjustment at the CMC.

Swede liked this post
Old December 4th, 2016, 01:57 AM   #750
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo-anders View Post
The design for the building above Frederiksberg Allé station is revealed.
That looks good. I particularly like how the ceiling is lit up.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 03:46 AM   #751
ironredox

Likes (Received): 153

Ok, cool, thanks for the replies. I'm aware that platform screen doors (PSD) would have to be adjusted. But i was not sure if 4-car trains would actually fit to on the underground stations, length-wise. So Would you have the first/last door at the outer platform corners and the head/tail of the train already/still inside the tunnel?
ironredox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #752
bongo-anders

I think that the train will just bare fit inside the platform, but just barely.

As I remember there is only 2-3 meters from the last platform screen door to the edge of the platform so maybe the very front of the train will not fit inside but this is just taken from memory.
Old December 5th, 2016, 01:59 PM   #753
korbendallas

Likes (Received): 177

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never give up View Post
As you can see from this section through a station there are 8 sections of 5,5m with a door in the center of each section, except in the 2 outer sections.
By adding a fourth car, the center of the 2 outer sections would be converted to doors.
So they have actually thought about increasing capacity, though I imagine they won't do anything, until they see the effect of the ring line.

Swede, bongo-anders, ironredox liked this post
korbendallas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #754
bongo-anders

So what I understand is that 2 extra doors on the platform creates 11 meters of extra space.

But one extra car is around 13, 5-14 meters long so the 4 car train will be around 1,5 meter longer than the platform in each end so no problems with that.
Old December 6th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #755
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

If the above image is correct the middle cars are only 11 meters long, and if the trains are extended it'll be one more middle car that is added. So the all the doors will line up, but the ends of the trains will extend beyond the platforms.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #756
bongo-anders

Yes off course, I just measured from the end cars.
But of course they will add a middle car

New progress map, but this one will already be history tomorrow as we will see the second and final breakthrough at Rådhuspladsen tomorrow.

Old December 8th, 2016, 12:48 AM   #757
1993matias

Likes (Received): 34

The new metro ring will bring many changes to the transport system in the city, and recently the transport authority released a report on how the changes will affect the bus routes. In short, the centre and (most of) Amager will be depleted of all but two frequent lines (5A/5C and 2A), Nørregade won't get any new bus line, 3A and 1A will be merged, 8A will be taking over 4A as a ring line on Fasanvej, and many streets will lose their frequent bus.
You can see a good summary of the report here in Danish which is - as far as I can see - quite unbiased even though it's on a bus website.

I had a different idea of what would happen to the network, so I am slightly disappointed. I miss better coverage in the centre and more frequency on Amager
Old December 8th, 2016, 01:58 PM   #758
bongo-anders

Busy days ahead.

As already posted, Tria will reach Rådhuspladsen today and the last TBM will make its breakthrough at Trianglen around Saturday.

If they are just as quick to maintain these machines I think both of them will be on their last stage before christmas.

Swede, ironredox liked this post
Old December 12th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #759
hans280

Likes (Received): 172

Tria just reached the Raadhuspladsen. The end is near...

http://m.dk/~/media/Metro/Metrobygge...a&mw=585&w=585

dimlys1994, Never give up liked this post
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 09:58 PM   #760
bongo-anders

Yes and Eva has reached Trianglen.

Minerva should be at Øster Søgade just before Christmas.

Arnorian, dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post