daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #141
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alseimik View Post
Wikipedia says 120 km/h:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-tog

DSB OWN site says 120 km/h:
http://www.dsb.dk/Om-DSB/Virksomhede...drift/Togsaet/
its the litra sa-sb-sc-sd

So shouldn't we just agree that its 120 km/h?
But it's not :P The wikipedia artivle is about the s-train system, in which the top speed is 120 km/h. The S-train is only approved to go 120 km/h, but it's capable of going 140 km/h.

It's like that with all trains. The IC3 is approved to go 180 km/h, but it's CAPABLE of going 220 km/h.

The IC4 is approved to go 160 km/h, but it's CAPABLE of going at least 220 km/h.
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #142
Alseimik

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikespiegel View Post
But it's not :P The wikipedia artivle is about the s-train system, in which the top speed is 120 km/h. The S-train is only approved to go 120 km/h, but it's capable of going 140 km/h.

It's like that with all trains. The IC3 is approved to go 180 km/h, but it's CAPABLE of going 220 km/h.

The IC4 is approved to go 160 km/h, but it's CAPABLE of going at least 220 km/h.

You may be right about that, but then they will still only be approved to 120 those s trains, never less, 20 km/h doesn't make a big enough different. it should at least be 160 km/h if it should be upgraded for use in a oresunds tunnel.

btw, are you SURE that ic4 can go 220? its not like the train can do anything else which was promised, besides drive
Alseimik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #143
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

If they're making a metro line specifically, then it'll have to use cars that have more capacity than the Ansaldobredas.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #144
Schliemann

Likes (Received): 2

I was reading about the cititunneln project in Malmö a few days ago.

here is a bit from their webpage: http://www.citytunneln.com/en/The-Project/The-Project/

Quote:
A solution to congestion

Today, there is considerable congestion both inside and outside Malmö C. The problems have increased in line with the growth of railway traffic in Skåne, due for example to the success of the Öresund trains. In fact the capacity of Malmö C and its railway yard is used 100%.

In addition, there is also the Continental Line with almost 300 trains per day, which has led to noise problems for people living in the area. Citytunneln will provide a solution to these problems.

The extension of Malmö C with its new underground station, Malmö C Nedre (Lower) will change it from being a stub terminal, where all trains have to turn, to a modern station for through traffic. Citytunneln also means that the number of trains that operate on the Continental Line is reduced to about 70 per day.

I read somewhere on that page too (which I can't find at the moment) that the tunnel will shorten the stoping time from 10 min to 2 min, at Mamlö C.
Schliemann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #145
Alseimik

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
If they're making a metro line specifically, then it'll have to use cars that have more capacity than the Ansaldobredas.
No one should do anything with AnsalsoBredas! It is a miracle that the metro is working, think about the Danish IC4, or the Netherlands's high speed rail? The rails done, but no trains yet... NEVER do anything with the Italians
Old September 20th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #146
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
No one should do anything with AnsalsoBredas! It is a miracle that the metro is working, think about the Danish IC4, or the Netherlands's high speed rail? The rails done, but no trains yet... NEVER do anything with the Italians
You forgot to mention their North American ****-ups. (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston all got shitty, overweight, breakdown-prone cars way behind schedule.)
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #147
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8818

Quote:
To add to this the Gothenburg tram system which ordered the M32 from them and got trains that damaged tracks, had poor ride quality and malfunctioning air conditioning. Why anyone uses this company I don't know...
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #148
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
To add to this the Gothenburg tram system which ordered the M32 from them and got trains that damaged tracks, had poor ride quality and malfunctioning air conditioning. Why anyone uses this company I don't know...
They happen to be very good in the art of bribing people.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:38 AM   #149
Alseimik

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
They happen to be very good in the art of bribing people.
Not likely, its because of the western system. You have a project, and then make of a meeting, where company's can offer they're offer on how to do it. Then they would prbably choose the cheapest one. Always. I heard that there was a german company offering for the danish IC4 trains, who offered a bit longer building time, a rather higher cost, but then promise to delivere at time, better train with no errors etc. But they choosed the cheapest, ending up with a product more delayed than thedate of the high cost offer and with more errors. (IC4 is delivered with 200 errors in average, which has to be done in Denmark. And they still arren't cleared for connecting multiple trains together)

But i don't trust them at all, so i could expect them to bribe some. However, Denmark is the second list corrupt country in the world, when it comes to bribery, only New Zealand is "better".

Last edited by Alseimik; September 22nd, 2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Needed sentence for quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:37 PM   #150
FDW

Quote:
snip
Well, I don't necessarily mean the "suitcase full of money" style bribe, I mean the we'll "build a factory for vehicle construction in the area" style of bribe. (This is what they tried in L.A. a couple years ago.)
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:06 AM   #151
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Quote:
Not likely, its because of the western system. You have a project, and then make of a meeting, where company's can offer they're offer on how to do it. Then they would prbably choose the cheapest one. Always. I heard that there was a german company offering for the danish IC4 trains, who offered a bit longer building time, a rather higher cost, but then promise to delivere at time, better train with no errors etc. But they choosed the cheapest, ending up with a product more delayed than thedate of the high cost offer and with more errors. (IC4 is delivered with 200 errors in average, which has to be done in Denmark. And they still arren't cleared for connecting multiple trains together)

But i don't trust them at all, so i could expect them to bribe some. However, Denmark is the second list corrupt country in the world, when it comes to bribery, only New Zealand is "better".
So basically, it's a case of good old shortsightedness.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:13 AM   #152
Alseimik

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
So basically, it's a case of good old shortsightedness.
Yes, which happens everywhere... Especially the danish goverment at this time, they're liberals, so it's there whole political interest, that make them choose like this.
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #153
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3599

But Soc. Dem. was at charge during the time that the Metro and IC4 was purchased, i think that Sonja Mikkelsen was Minister of Transportation at the time,
But V and K also voted for Ansaldo Breda so both wings is to blame.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #154
Alseimik

Sorry for not pointing this out, but i didn't blame the liberals for what we have.
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #155
bongo-anders

Okay then we are on the same page again.
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #156
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

I never thought a social democratic party could be cheapskates when it comes to rail transit.
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:16 PM   #157
bongo-anders

In Denmark both political wings are traditionally looking towards the center parties Konservative and Radikale Venstre ( not so radical :-) ) and that means that a lot of compromises are being made and that also means on the infrastructure politics.

But you have to remember that our right wing party The Danish Liberal Party (Venstre) most likely will be considered a almost ultra left wing party in the american political system.
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #158
Alseimik

So, today the fares been raised again, also outside Copenhagen, and the students card, which gives them "cheaper fares" has been raised.

In Copenhagen, we have a clip-card (klippelort) system, a hard paper card, with 10 marks on it, to be cut of and stamped with a date when used. The idea was that you should have it easier tickets, and it should be cheaper than 10 tickets, because people would travel more with this. Its still is somehow, but now it has been raised for the 10'th year in row, and since 2000 it has been raised with 55% more than double of what fuel prices has raised. Along with the standard tickets prices.

Danish newspaper article:
http://politiken.dk/indland/ECE11650...0-aar-i-traek/
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #159
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Here are some pics from my visit in Copenhagen. We start with the metro.

[IMG]http://i55.************/sd2nte.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i56.************/nzr4tf.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.************/erwr37.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.************/25exx6h.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.************/15db575.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.************/15wj7tk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.************/15fi2s7.jpg[/IMG]

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #160
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8818

What did you think of the metro system in CPH?
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote