daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #1
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Enlargement of Schengen

Good news! All border crossings in Eastern European countries will be removed by December 2007!

Quote:
EU to lift border checks as "Christmas gift" to new members
(BUDAPEST) - The European Union will in December lift border controls for citizens of nine countries which joined the bloc in 2004, a top official said Monday, adding that the move was a "Christmas present."

"We can confirm our original plans to lift land borders and maritime borders by December of this year and airport borders by March 2008," Justice Commissioner Franco Frattini told a press conference also addressed by Hungarian Prime Minister Ferenc Gyurcsany.

"We would expect to lift borders between mid-December and the end of December in the Christmas time, as a Christmas gift to all the citizens of Europe," Frattini said.

He said a formal political decision on admitting the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia into the Schengen free-movement zone would be taken in November.

The Schengen treaty, which abolished border checks between its members, counts 15 participating countries: all the oldest EU members except Britain and Ireland, plus non-EU nations Norway and Iceland.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #2
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

I wish that they could do something like that here in North America. I'm still amazed that many of the countries in the Schengen zone have fought truly VICIOUS wars against each other more than once within the past 100 years, while the USA and Mexico have been at peace for 100 years or so and the USA and Canada haven't fired a shot in anger at each other since the end of the War of 1812 - and yet the checkpoints in North America are getting harder and harder to cross on a nearly daily basis.

As it is now, though, I do see a lot of similarities between the Schengen zone and the USA itself, when you think of the individual USA states as being country-like semi-sovereign entities that all use a common currency and a common external border.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

So....does this mean that I don't have to show my ID-card when I'm going to Finland, for example??? ...This is great! I knew that it will happen some day but not so soon. I thought of something like in the middle of 2008.

(I can drive to Portugal without stopping, wooohhooo! )

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; July 30th, 2007 at 10:45 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #4
ChrisZwolle
Road user

If you drive to Germany, you can pass Latvia, Lithuania and Poland, all without stopping at the borders Saves you at least a couple of hours.

I think it might be a boost for tourism too. People here are so used to open borders, they are afraid for hours of waiting for the border, so they rather drive 1600km to Barcelona, than 800km to Praha.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #5
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
So....does this mean that I don't have to show my ID-card when I'm going to Finland, for example??? ...This is great! I knew that it will happen some day but not so soon. I thought of something like in the middle of 2008.
Yes. Taking the ferry between Tallinn and Helsinki will be like crossing between two states (such as taking a ferry across Lake Michigan between Manitowoc, WI and Ludington, MI) here in the USA.

The Euro will make that crossing even easier, too.

Mike
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:11 AM   #6
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

^Yeah, but Estonia won't get EURO before 2012.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 04:17 AM   #7
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

Yaay, we'll be fully integrated just in time for the Presidency!

Anyways, this has been known for a couple of months now, but good thing the word is spreading, means it's happening for sure..

By the way, Slovenia already installed the SIS on our systems so we are tehnically and formally ready to join Schengen. Yaaaaay!
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:52 AM   #8
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10411

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
I wish that they could do something like that here in North America. I'm still amazed that many of the countries in the Schengen zone have fought truly VICIOUS wars against each other more than once within the past 100 years, while the USA and Mexico have been at peace for 100 years or so and the USA and Canada haven't fired a shot in anger at each other since the end of the War of 1812 - and yet the checkpoints in North America are getting harder and harder to cross on a nearly daily basis.
Absolutely...makes me all the more jealous when I hear about Schengen.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:02 PM   #9
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

That's great news
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:33 PM   #10
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenRot View Post
Absolutely...makes me all the more jealous when I hear about Schengen.
Yeah, but you have to cross only one border to acces a large portion of Northern America.

For Europeans, if they wanna go to Hungary or Croatia, they have to cross like 4 borders within 1000km/600 miles.
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:37 PM   #11
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

Well, Croatia will still remain a problem, but at least loads of other countries won't..
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 04:50 PM   #12
De Vorst
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 59

Schengen map

De Vorst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM   #13
fredru$

Likes (Received): 17

How'bout Switzerland?

Übersetzung / translation:
Schlesien wuchs hier immer in Macht und Kraft, mit dem ihm treuen Breslau.
Polen war nicht immer da, bleibt aber schon für immer.

Silesia always grew in strength here with faithful to her Wroclaw. Poland not always was here, but will stay here forever.
fredru$ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM   #14
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Not in this turn. Switzerland is considering to join Schengen, but they won't join now. Above map is wrong.

This one is better. Dark blue already in Schengen, middle blue joining Schengen, light blue going to Schengen in some years.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM   #15
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20325

Hopefully the UK and Ireland will join one day but I don't think it would make much difference to us, you would still have to stop at the border to get onto a ferry/train or you will drive into the sea.

Our only land border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland is already completely open anyway.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM   #16
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Hopefully the UK and Ireland will join one day but I don't think it would make much difference to us, you would still have to stop at the border to get onto a ferry/train or you will drive into the sea.

Our only land border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland is already completely open anyway.
Aren't the UK/Ireland's inspections mainly to keep 'invasive' plant/animal/disease species off of the islands?

Mike
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:53 PM   #17
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
The difference will be over all about 'commercial' limitation: Schengen will make 'em fall down
Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:38 AM   #18
Mattboy
Membre illenc

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Not in this turn. Switzerland is considering to join Schengen, but they won't join now. Above map is wrong.

This one is better. Dark blue already in Schengen, middle blue joining Schengen, light blue going to Schengen in some years.
Not exactly so. All the blue-coloured countries are already signatoires of the Schengen Agreement. Dark blue means they have already implemented it. Then those who are implementing it in december. Light-blue countries are members implementing it later (Switzerland aims to do so in November 2008, Romania and Bulgaria in 2011 and Cyprus is uncertain).
Yellow countries (Liechtenstein and Vatican City) have expressed interest in joining. And green (Monaco) means not official membership, but de facto.

Every country joining the EU in the future is joining Schengen at the same time (Bulgaria and Romania became members of both institutions on 1 January 2007)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_agreement

Last edited by Mattboy; August 2nd, 2007 at 02:52 AM.
Mattboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:54 AM   #19
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Yeah, but you have to cross only one border to acces a large portion of Northern America.
Yeah, but it's slowly closing by the minute.

Europe and North America are moving in opposite directions.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:25 PM   #20
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredru$ View Post
How'bout Switzerland?

Most times i passed the Swiss border, they just wave you through, usually there isn't even a passport check or something.