daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #221
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
The outer EU border is quite heavily defended. But this counts especially for the Ukrainian, Russian and Belarussian borders of course. Hungary only borders to Ukraine. Croatia and Serbia might be less though....
It's not heavily defended, its heavily controlled.

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #222
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Well, you defend your border against anyone crossing it illegally, right? Or am I wrong now?
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #223
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Well, you defend your border against anyone crossing it illegally, right? Or am I wrong now?
The term"heavily defend" all alone is portraying it in a too militaristic way. When it is in reality just guarding the border with light equipment and surveillance tools not heavy machinery and soldiers.
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #224
Timon91
Error

But they're patrolling and defending, right? Ok, 'heavily' is probably a bit overdone, but they do more than just controlling!
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #225
Slartibartfas

Quote:
But they're patrolling and defending, right? Ok, 'heavily' is probably a bit overdone, but they do more than just controlling!
What more do they do then controlling it? Patrolling is part of controlling a border. Its right though that its quite throughly controlled. Thats no wonder after all its the outer border of an economically highly developed entity with half a billion inhabitants. Thats quite an interesting incentive for for illegally crossing the border. Not just for illegal immigrants but for the organized crime as well. I would say the latter aspect is even more important.
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #226
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
The term"heavily defend" all alone is portraying it in a too militaristic way. When it is in reality just guarding the border with light equipment and surveillance tools not heavy machinery and soldiers.
Exactly. It's not "fortress Europe" as some like to say.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #227
Timon91
Error

And part of defending it.

Look, I'm not an expert in this issue. When Schengen was established I was one year old, and I've never been to the outer EU border, but in Dutch we always speak of "een grens verdedigen", so "defending a border", when translated literally. So I may be just my mistake, but my experience is that this is also called "defending" in English.
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #228
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

Quote:
The army and the borderguards are 2 different things usually. Our border guards became police officers after joining,because the borderguards, as an institution, seized to exist. The army doesnt patrol the border. They dont have heavy guns,only pistols.
Control is indeed a soft word for what they do outside of the checkpoints. I think monitor is the best word to describe their work.

RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:08 AM   #229
Slartibartfas

Quote:
And part of defending it.

Look, I'm not an expert in this issue. When Schengen was established I was one year old, and I've never been to the outer EU border, but in Dutch we always speak of "een grens verdedigen", so "defending a border", when translated literally. So I may be just my mistake, but my experience is that this is also called "defending" in English.
I am no English expert either. In German one says to control a border. I think defending is something for the army.
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:12 AM   #230
Wallaroo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
I am no English expert either. In German one says to control a border. I think defending is something for the army.
Hey Slarti old chap! You seem to be everywhere on the internet...
Wallaroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:25 AM   #231
Slartibartfas

You found "my" second forum. Thats pretty much it then
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM   #232
paF4uko
Blow the Horn!

Likes (Received): 753

Just to make it clear once again, you "defend your border" in a war, but otherwise you "control" it. Both expressions exist, but they mean different things.
By the way this summer I was travelling between Croatia and Slovenia without even stop the car on the border post... Every time they were just waving me to go on. Just one time I had to stop on the SLO customs post.
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:21 PM   #233
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

That's b/c you're a Bulgarian (EU citizen). If you had Kazakh license plates, you would be stopped for sure.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM   #234
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

I´ve heard that there was an agreement between Slovenia/Hungary before this Schengen-affair like not using passports. Is it true???
SeanT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #235
Verso
Islander

Croats may go to Slovenia, Hungary and Italy with (valid) IDs, but they receive some kind of a paper (pasteboard), which they must keep until leaving the countries. Not terribly handy, so I'd just take my passport with me (unless I didn't have one).
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #236
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

You don´t need passports in the scandinavien countries either.(you do not need to have it with you at all)....If you are danish,swedish,etc....citizen.

In fact you don´t even have an ID-card in DK unless you want one.
SeanT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #237
Timon91
Error

That's difficult. There should be rules for the entire EU, not just one or two EU-countries. But I guess that would be too difficult. Just like some EU citizens (western part) don't need special visa for the US, and other countries (some in the eastern part) do.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #238
snupix

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Croats may go to Slovenia, Hungary and Italy with (valid) IDs, but they receive some kind of a paper (pasteboard), which they must keep until leaving the countries. Not terribly handy, so I'd just take my passport with me (unless I didn't have one).
Yeah, but if you are a frequent traveller and need to save space in the passport, it is useful. But it was better before 2007, without these papers.
Well, at least we can go to Bosnia with the ID card only
snupix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #239
Verso
Islander

Is Switzerland already in Schengen?
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #240
Verso
Islander

Apparently the border with Liechtenstein won't be directly controlled, just with cameras 24/7:
Quote:
Einen Spezialfall stellt für eine Übergangszeit die Grenze zu Liechtenstein dar, weil das Fürstentum erst nach der Schweiz assoziiertes Schengen-Mitglied wird. Vereinbart worden sind eine 24-Stunden-Videoüberwachung an den befahrbaren Grenzübergängen, gemeinsame Sicherheitsanalysen des GWK und der Polizeikorps St. Gallens, Graubündens und Liechtensteins, mobile Kontrollen des GWK im Grenzraum und eine Aufwertung des Verbindungsbüros in Schaanwald (GWK, Polizeien Liechtensteins und Österreichs) zur Zentrale für die Koordinierung der sicherheits- und grenzpolizeilichen Massnahmen.
I'm not sure what's with the Liechtenstein-Austrian border.