daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #341
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19408

Interestingly, the Netherlands is the biggest investor in Romania.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #342
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
Let's focus on what's actually going on on the real world: I have been to the land border posts of Hungary (EU-Schengen) with Romania (EU-non Schengen). What kind of checks are needed for a UE citizen to cross from Romania into Hungary and the Schengen area? This: You show your ID or Passport, the guy in charge sees your face and let's your car pass the border into the Schengen area (from time to time ask to open the your trunk and takes a quick look). Ohhh, Big deal! I honestly can't see what difference could it actually make if Romania and Bulgaria were already part of Schengen.
They usually don't bother you, if you're an EU citizen (including Romanians and Bulgarians), but they will check you, if you're from Iran, for example.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #343
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In reality, the border controls are a joke anyway, so getting Romania and Bulgaria into Schengen will de-facto not change much.
+1

Speaking from my own experience of crossing the Romania/Hungary border point I can tell that in the last 2-3 years there were 3 main control types I have encountered at the border:
  • they just waved me to cross without any check (rare situation)
  • they look at the ID card, but not always at your face... it takes 5 seconds (most of the cases)
  • besides looking at the ID card they ask you "Where are you going?"... any answer is the correct one (also rare situation)

More, at the Hungary/Croatia and Croatia/Slovenia border crossing the situation was the same (just ID check)... and Croatia is not even an EU member.

The main point is that if a bad guy wants to go to Western Europe to break the law he can do this efortless with or without Romania in Schengen space.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #344
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

In my experience, it seems like the main reason for checks along the eastern external border of the Schengen Zone is to provide the customs officers with an opportunity to collect bribes. I've never seen them show any interest any anything other than bribes.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #345
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
They usually don't bother you, if you're an EU citizen (including Romanians and Bulgarians), but they will check you, if you're from Iran, for example.
I had the same experience when travelling through Schengen, Slovenia included.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #346
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Do they get any Iranians travelling to Western EU via Balkans via E75? Don't they just fly? I am not quite sure if it is true, but I have been told there is a frien from Belgrade to Theran via IST. lol
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #347
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Well, as I see each week a lot of lorries in the Northwestern part of the Paris region (near Éragny-sur-Oise), not all Iranians fly !

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #348
Christophorus

Likes (Received): 87

The Principality of Liechtenstein today became a full member of Schengen treaty.

Article in German though:

http://www.vaterland.li/index.cfm?id...a&ressort=home
Christophorus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #349
GCarty

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Actually, only the Netherlands is still opposing (Finland has recently announced it will not oppose anymore), the reason being Geert Wilders.
I presume that Wilders isn't against Romania per se, but sees it is a potential weak link that if it joined Schengen would allow more Muslim immigrants to reach the Netherlands?
GCarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #350
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post

More, at the Hungary/Croatia and Croatia/Slovenia border crossing the situation was the same (just ID check)... and Croatia is not even an EU member.
Back in 2004 at Slovenia-Croatia crossing they gave a loong suspicious look at me and my ID card... maybe just because back then I had taliban-style beard
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #351
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12045

Quote:
+1

Speaking from my own experience of crossing the Romania/Hungary border point I can tell that in the last 2-3 years there were 3 main control types I have encountered at the border:
  • they just waved me to cross without any check (rare situation)
  • they look at the ID card, but not always at your face... it takes 5 seconds (most of the cases)
  • besides looking at the ID card they ask you "Where are you going?"... any answer is the correct one (also rare situation)

The main point is that if a bad guy wants to go to Western Europe to break the law he can do this efortless with or without Romania in Schengen space.
Actually, if you follow the news, there are weekly reports on border guards seizing trasspassers at the border with Ukraine and Moldova, most being Afghans, Iraqis, Pakistanis. I would say most are already stopped at the already eastern EU borders before reaching the Schengen borders.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #352
LG_

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Interestingly, the Netherlands is the biggest investor in Romania.
As alredy said and obviously the reason for that is not economical! Well I do belive that your PM will son surrender!
LG_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM   #353
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCarty View Post
I presume that Wilders isn't against Romania per se, but sees it is a potential weak link that if it joined Schengen would allow more Muslim immigrants to reach the Netherlands?
The Romanian Muslim population is negligible. Most of them live in Dobrogea and they usually don't do anything bad. We even have a muslim guy on Romanian part of SSC and he's ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Actually, if you follow the news, there are weekly reports on border guards seizing trasspassers at the border with Ukraine and Moldova, most being Afghans, Iraqis, Pakistanis. I would say most are already stopped at the already eastern EU borders before reaching the Schengen borders.
I live in a border zone, so even the local news show how the Romanian border patrol officers catch the immigrants. I would like to add one thing: most of those Afghans, Iraqis, African etc. immigrants enter Romania legaly (they have obtained Romanian visa, but not Schengen visa), and they want to cross the border ilegaly into Schengen. Why is our country giving visas so easy?
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:20 PM   #354
kamadeva
Teetotal

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Why is our country giving visas so easy?
I think most are refugees since the UN has a shelter(or more?)in western Romania.
kamadeva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:10 PM   #355
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
(...) Why is our country giving visas so easy?
Maybe because Romania needs desperately hands to work ! (all gone to the West ...)

P.S.: I thought Liechtenstein was already part of the Schengen zone (as neighboring Austria & Switzerland already are ...

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:39 PM   #356
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeva View Post
I think most are refugees since the UN has a shelter(or more?)in western Romania.
I mostly hear at the news that they entered legally in my country. We have a shelter for UN refugees, but there are a lot more persons trying to cross the border illegaly than UN refugees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Maybe because Romania needs desperately hands to work ! (all gone to the West ...)
No, this is not the problem. We usually don't import work force. There are a lot of unemployed people searching for a job here.

Quote:
P.S.: I thought Liechtenstein was already part of the Schengen zone (as neighboring Austria & Switzerland already are ...
No, it was not part of Schengen. One courios thing: the Switzerland/Liechtenstein border crossing was just surveiled by video cameras (no border police booths), but Liechtenstein/Austria border was with permanent checks. So if you wanted to go directly from A to FL you were checked, but you could avoid this driving through CH
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:47 PM   #357
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Maybe Andorra will follow ? Has anyone read about such plans anywhere ?

P.S.: I'm very curious how the situation will look in the BIH Neum enclave when Croatia enters the EU ...

Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:04 AM   #358
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:

Maybe Andorra will follow ? Has anyone read about such plans anywhere ?

P.S.: I'm very curious how the situation will look in the BIH Neum enclave when Croatia enters the EU ...
Neum is not an enclave. More like Croatia has an exclave south of Neum. Croatia wanted to build a bridge/overpass in Neum so that it's citizens can travel without entering BIH.
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:15 PM   #359
Zanovijetalo

^ Left coalition just won the elections here, and that bridge will not be built.
Zanovijetalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM   #360
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

This is an excerpt from the layout of Accession treaty, dated September 13, 2011, page 155-156, regarding Neum corridor:

"IV. NEUM
31997 L 0078: Council Directive 97/78/EC of 18 December 1997 laying down the principles
governing the organisation of veterinary checks on products entering the Community from third countries (OJ L 24, 30.1.1998, p. 9).
Article 1 is replaced by the following:
"Article 1
1. Veterinary checks on products from third countries introduced into one of the territories listed
in Annex I shall be carried out by Member States in accordance with this Directive and with
Regulation (EC) No 882/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April
2004 on official controls performed to ensure the verification of compliance with feed and
food law, animal health and animal welfare rules(1).
2. By way of derogation from paragraph 1, consignments of products coming from the territory
of Croatia and transiting through the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina at Neum ('Neum
corridor') before re-entering the territory of Croatia via the points of entry at Klek or Zaton
Doli, may be exempted from the veterinary checks, subject to compliance with the following
requirements:
AC 31/11 AK/sb 156
DG K 2 LIMITE EN
(a) Croatia must have in place on or before the date of accession points of entry to the north
and south of the Neum corridor that are equipped, staffed and prepared to ensure
compliance with the requirements of this paragraph;
(b) Croatia must ensure that:
(i) only closed vehicles are used for transporting the consignments;
(ii) vehicles transporting consignments are sealed with uniquely numbered seals before
transiting the Neum corridor;
(iii) a register is made, detailing which numbered seals have been attached to which
vehicles, which allows for the necessary controls;
(iv) the date and time of leaving and re-entering the territory of Croatia of the vehicles
transporting consignments are recorded, so that the total time of transit can be
calculated.
(c) Croatia shall ensure that consignment must not be allowed to re-enter its territory
where:
(i) a vehicle's seal has been broken or replaced during transiting the Neum corridor;
and/or
(ii) the total time of transit considerably exceeds the acceptable total time of transit,
given the total distance of transit unless the competent authority has carried out an
assessment of the risks to animal and public health and has adopted effective,
proportionate and targeted measures based on that assessment.
(d) Croatia must regularly and as necessary inform the Commission of any non-compliance
with the requirements of point (b) and of the measures it has taken under point (c).
(e) Where necessary, a decision to suspend or withdraw the derogation from paragraph 1
shall be adopted in accordance with the procedure laid down in Article 29.
(f) Where necessary, detailed rules for the application of this paragraph may be adopted in
accordance with the procedure laid down in Article 29.' "
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote