daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:38 PM   #21
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

If somebody would say this to me in 1988 - I would not believe. Then going to Moon seemed a lot simpler than going to Sweden.

Can tell some stories, f.e. in our school (I ended in 1988) one guy was excellent in German language, he won competition and was recognised as the best in Latvia in his age. As a present he got a permit to go and visit Eastern Germany. Everybody envyed him very much. But... the visit to Eastern Germany coincided with exams in Academy of Arts where he wanted to study. And in these times - if you did not enter the highschool after completion of school, you were drawn in Soviet Army with high chances to die in Afghanistan or just from beating of fellow "comrades".

Without much thinking he decided to go to Eastern Germany - he missed his highschool and had to spend 2 years in humiliating conditions in Soviet Army for this. But he was happy about his decision then.

Such luxury as visit to Western Germany was beyond the wildest dreams.

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM   #22
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Not in this turn. Switzerland is considering to join Schengen, but they won't join now. Above map is wrong.

This one is better. Dark blue already in Schengen, middle blue joining Schengen, light blue going to Schengen in some years.

looking at the map and living in Croatia... damn... this is so isolating... last 10 years we could go to Slovenia or Hungary just with identification card, now we need to show passport... really frustrating...
DJZG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:21 PM   #23
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Aren't the UK/Ireland's inspections mainly to keep 'invasive' plant/animal/disease species off of the islands?

Mike
And invasive people, according to some

Ireland didn't join Schengen basically because that would mean they'd have to quit the Common Travel Area which would mean they'd have to show their IDs to go to Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #24
Sławek
wodniczek nonsensek

Likes (Received): 4844

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZG View Post
looking at the map and living in Croatia... damn... this is so isolating... last 10 years we could go to Slovenia or Hungary just with identification card, now we need to show passport... really frustrating...
It's look like that Croatia is very near EU integration
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #25
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sławek View Post
It's look like that Croatia is very near EU integration
Most certainly deserves to be within the structure, but won't join until 2010 or better I guess.
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #26
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorlan View Post
Most certainly deserves to be within the structure, but won't join until 2010 or better I guess.
well if we talk about schengen it's going to happen when and important IF we enter EU... polls say that 50% of citizens are against joining, we're just sceptical about all that...hehe.. we're learning from a history of 900 years under other states

but geographicaly looking, our roads are top class, highways are constructing everyday, tourism boost is one of the largest in europe i'll say, even though we could enter EU, we could also stay something like Switzerland but with sea :P
DJZG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #27
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Quote:
we could also stay something like Switzerland but with sea :P
Come on mate, face it, you won't afford to stay outside, this is first of all within your interest to become a part of UE, even Switzerland will join Schengen in a couple of years not to mention that they might be a part of EU sooner or later.

Last edited by igorlan; November 27th, 2007 at 01:31 PM.
igorlan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #28
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1820

^Why would Switzerland want to become a part of EU? Switzerland is better off without it.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #29
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

Switzerland wouldn't give up their centuries-old political neutrality and sovereignty tradition so easily, which would automatically happen if they join the EU.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #30
sk

Likes (Received): 3

cyprus will join schengen when our 2 new airports are finished(end of 2009). the goverment does not want to waste money to upgrade security checking in the current airports.
our sea ports are almost 100% ready.
the other problem with implementing schengen in cyprus is that we will have to increase control at the green line dividing the island,which our goverment does not want to do it as it will increase the feeling of 2 states on the island .
cyprus is having talks with brussels trying to find a solution to this problem
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #31
Vrachar

Likes (Received): 1627

Quote:
Sure, it's very frustrating. What would you say if you need not just passport but visa also, like rest of Western Balkanas.
Vrachar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #32
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrachar View Post
Sure, it's very frustrating. What would you say if you need not just passport but visa also, like rest of Western Balkanas.
You guys still need visas to enter EU??????
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #33
Vrachar

Likes (Received): 1627

Yes, unfortunately.

I've just got Schengen visa for my trip to Portugal in next week. To get the visa I had to provide tons of documents. It costed me lot of time, nerves and money. Just to have opportunity to go there and spend my hard earned money.

Last edited by Vrachar; August 6th, 2007 at 09:57 PM.
Vrachar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #34
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20309

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
The difference will be over all about 'commercial' limitation: Schengen will make 'em fall down
Would Schengen really make that much of a difference to commercial barriers? There is a single European market regardless of Schengen, I don't think that a requirement to show a passport would really block much trade.

Maybe if some countries were previously very strict with controls and large queues formed at the borders this would be a problem but here at least the customs controls are usually very quick, the customs officers just wave most people through without stopping them.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #35
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19408

You forget the hours of waiting time for trucks (commercial traffic) at the borders. Now the time is reduced since Poland belongs to EU, but a few years ago, you easily could wait one day at the border if you were a truck driver.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #36
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
You forget the hours of waiting time for trucks (commercial traffic) at the borders. Now the time is reduced since Poland belongs to EU, but a few years ago, you easily could wait one day at the border if you were a truck driver.
Just literally yesterday, it was on Polish news channel (TVN24) that there was some major server outage on Ukrainian border which caused a huge queue of trucks as a result. The estimated queue time was roughly 12 hours.
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #37
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis View Post
If somebody would say this to me in 1988 - I would not believe. Then going to Moon seemed a lot simpler than going to Sweden.

Can tell some stories, f.e. in our school (I ended in 1988) one guy was excellent in German language, he won competition and was recognised as the best in Latvia in his age. As a present he got a permit to go and visit Eastern Germany. Everybody envyed him very much. But... the visit to Eastern Germany coincided with exams in Academy of Arts where he wanted to study. And in these times - if you did not enter the highschool after completion of school, you were drawn in Soviet Army with high chances to die in Afghanistan or just from beating of fellow "comrades".

Without much thinking he decided to go to Eastern Germany - he missed his highschool and had to spend 2 years in humiliating conditions in Soviet Army for this. But he was happy about his decision then.

Such luxury as visit to Western Germany was beyond the wildest dreams.
Glad to see that Eastern Europe is a part of the open, global economy now. Your children will see the world as boundless, and even space too.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #38
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

We(Bulgaria) are looking forward to join Schengen in 2-3 years and adopt the Euro together with Estonia,Latvia and Lithuania
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #39
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19408

I don't think you guys will adopt the Euro very soon. There are strict regulations for that.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #40
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I don't think you guys will adopt the Euro very soon. There are strict regulations for that.
Bulgaria is not so far from Euro and Shengen...
There are "only" little troubles with corruption to solve but Bulgaria made lot of efforts during the 3 last years.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote